Does anyone read the Wall Street Journal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Diogenes

Re: Does anyone read the Wall Street Journal?

Post by Diogenes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:13 am

Gatorbh wrote:I've made this comment in another thread but it is worth repeating.

I can get the WSJ free on my iPad via the Overdrive app from my public library. Really quite painless even for me that's not all that internet savvy. If you're on the fence about subscribing this would be a good way to get a free trial run. Probably in the Boglehead spirit to utilize the library services your tax dollars are supporting vs paying for a personal subscription.

Looked in Overdrive, couldn't find it. Do you view it in a newspaper format? My library directed me to Proquest, which is just a list of articles. Anyone have success getting a WSJ online only subscription with flyer miles lately? Much as I would like a paper version, they don't deliver where I live.

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm

I haven't missed an issue in years, the subscription is worth it. I look forward to the "Review" section every weekend. :sharebeer

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Haven't missed an issue of WSJ or NYT for more than past 20 years except when traveling overseas. And I don't like to read online articles, like to get ink on my fingers from newsprint. If had to choose between them would pick NYT for more intellectual content but WSJ has good insight into world of business. The two best newspapers in country without question. Especially enjoy the weekend edition of WSJ and Sunday edition of NYT. And they kind of balance each other out with their respective political outlooks. So recommend getting subscriptions. One of problems in this country in my opinion is too much short term social media and not enough in depth reading. Good luck

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:01 pm

It's very good for U.S. business news and has good general interest topic coverage. For global business news I find the FT is tops. The editorial section is total garbage though. The constant negative articles about Obama, and now fawning articles about Trump, have caused me to rethink my subscription. I can deal with some bias, and certainly almost every publication has one, but it's really become over the top with the WSJ in the past five years.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Read it daily

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes, I have a print and on-line subscription.

DrGandalf

Post by DrGandalf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Not being internet savvy, can you explain how I can go about reading the WSJ with Overdrive and my library card. Thanks.

DrGandalf

Post by DrGandalf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 am

Thank You for the info.
catdude wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 am
You can read a pdf copy of the WSJ every day --

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 170607.pdf

Just edit the url to get to the page you want to read. For example, change "A001" to "B001" to see the first page of section B. And change "20170607" to "20170608" to get the June 8th edition.

dowse

Post by dowse » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

We currently have the print+digital purchased through an ebay reseller. When that runs out later this year, I will be purchasing a new subscription through http://gafundraising.com/, which I learned about on another BH thread. One year print+digital for $198, but also helps an organization of my choice in fundraising. I was able to find some organizations from my home town high school who participate. My wife and I both read the print edition almost every day, and we enjoy discussing many of the articles. It may not be what it used to be, but in my opinion, it is one of the best news sources available. For us, it is worth every penny, and we wouldn't think of doing without it. It adds to our quality of life.