How often do you put money in Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
investing1012

How often do you put money in Vanguard

Post by investing1012 »

Not including the automatic checks made to your 401k how frequently do you put money into your Vanguard (or other index fund) account?
livesoft

Re: How often do you put money in Vanguard

Post by livesoft »

About once every 10 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Every Monday. I invest taxable savings weekly and automatically. 401k money goes in twice each month too, so money is trickling in all the time. :moneybag
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I did once, when I opened the account. I have no plans to add anything there ever.

Schwab and TDAmeritrade, every month or so. Fidelity gets the 401k money every other week plus Roth that I'm currently getting from the credit card bonus. Oh, come to think of it, I did transfer the credit card signing bonus plus 10% from my TD credit card to my TD account. Added a bit more from my credit union account and bought 1 share of VTI yesterday.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

When I was in the accumulation phase of my life I would mail in one check a month to my taxable MM account, then transfer part of that to my wife's taxable MM account, then transfer from those accounts to our respective tIRA and Roth IRA MM accounts. After that exchanged from MM accounts into our various stock and bond accounts according to our investment plan.
Last edited by KlingKlang on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Other than establishing via transfers to Vanguard three 529 accounts, my last deposit to Vanguard was in August of 2015. I mailed the largest check I've ever had received, it was my lump-sum retirement.

I guess by having all dividends and capital gains reinvested I am technically putting money in Vanguard. Does that type of transaction count?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am Other than establishing via transfers to Vanguard three 529 accounts, my last deposit to Vanguard was in August of 2015. I mailed the largest check I've ever had received, it was my lump-sum retirement.

I guess by having all dividends and capital gains reinvested I am technically putting money in Vanguard. Does that type of transaction count?

Broken Man 1999
Why is your username Broken Man?
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

Twice a month (15th of the month, end of the month).
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

I contribute max to his/hers Roth IRA's at VG once a year via backdoor.
I rarely add money to our VG taxable account.

FWIW, I direct-deposit from every paycheck into Savings, HSA & 401k (none at VG).
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Monthly....I have a few owner financed properties I sold. The buyers ACH's money to a separate checking account monthly.

I just asked my Vanguard rep if I could not have my buyers ACH the money directly into my Vanguard account...he said no.

So...I manually go into Vanguard and pull the money from my checking account.

The reason it's not an auto investment is that I'm never really sure what day the funds will clear.
mhc

Post by mhc »

2 IRA contributions in January (his and hers)

Then only when I exceed some arbitrary excess cash threshhold in my checking account. This is usually ~4 times a year.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

JeepDaze wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am Twice a month (15th of the month, end of the month).
Same for me.
Robconoclast

Post by Robconoclast »

Automatic monthly deposits into our IRAs.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

As soon as I get cash, off it goes to my accounts.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

JeepDaze wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am Twice a month (15th of the month, end of the month).
Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to buy ahead of you. :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am
Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to buy ahead of you. :twisted:
Ready, set, GO! :P
jimishooch

Post by jimishooch »

Still in accumulation phase so DCA into taxable every other week. contribute/convert to rIRA every January.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Each time our monthly budget excess adds up to $5,500 (seems to take 6 months or so) - I try to do this twice a year to complete a backdoor Roth for each of us.

Between daycare and a hefty student loan payment, no funds for taxable investing yet. When we get there, we'll likely do once a month.

All other investing (my 401k, wife's 403b) is done outside of Vanguard, twice a month.
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

I do a weekly automatic contribution. Then at the end of the month, any $$$ left over in checking above $750 gets split 50/50 between a savings account and my Vanguard taxable account.

My weekly contributions are pretty aggressive already so i don't often have more than an extra $500 at the end of the month to put into savings & vanguard, but sometimes I get lucky with expenses!
Last edited by welderwannabe on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

As often as I can!
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Only on RBD's................ not
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
John151

Post by John151 »

Anything over a certain amount in my local checking account goes to Vanguard, and that’s usually once a month.
Last edited by John151 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

In retirement, I put more in my taxable account maybe six times per year, in months when my travel expenses aren't too high and my checking account balance gets over the upper value I've set for it.

My Roth IRA I will contribute to if I encounter Earned Income in a year.
Doing a Backdoor Roth, I wait until $3000 is available, and then add additional amounts up to the $6500 limit...
Attempted new signature...
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

dwickenh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm Only on RBD's................ not
Me too. These days are rare nowadays.
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

We contribute each month right at the beginning of the month. We like to keep $30k in our checking account so every month we take anything over that and contribute to our taxable accounts.

I like doing this because it gives us a good view of how well we saved that month. If we go on a big vacation we will only contribute a small amount, but if we're generally frugal we'll have a lot to contribute at the end of that month. Usually as I transfer the money we'll have a 60-second conversation about why there's "so much" or "so little" to contribute, then we move on.
bantam222

Post by bantam222 »

Twice a month -- every paycheck I leave $2,000 in my bank account and xFer the rest into Fidelity.

Once Fidelity pile of cash gets to around $5,000 I roll it into stocks -- not worth the hassle to purchase every time it gets to $1,000 or so
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

Automatic contribution - 1st of every month.

Manual contributions - a few hundred dollars 2-3x per month.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

For my company's 401K at Vanguard, it's every paycheck - so every 2 weeks. Note, though. I front end load my 401K meaning that I put the maximum allowed by my company (75% of pre-tax check). I do this because my industry has a habit of having layoffs later in the year, so I want to layoff-proof my 401K contributions. So, within a few months, I have maxed out for the year and no more deposits are made.

For my taxable accounts, which are at Vanguard and Fidelity, I make a deposit at the first of each month. It's directed to whichever account is farthest off from my target AA and directed to whichever fund moves my AA closest to the target.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

So far approximately every 25 years.

Edit: Vanguard only.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

investing1012 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 am Not including the automatic checks made to your 401k how frequently do you put money into your Vanguard (or other index fund) account?
Auto invest at the 1st and the 15th, same as automatic 401k contribution.
Time is the ultimate currency.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

This year, once every 2 weeks on payday at job #1 for my Roth IRA, and once a month during profitable months for my SEP-IRA at job #2. Next year, who knows?
Sarah
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Once per month manually (in addition to the auto-transfer).

I take the dividends from some individual stocks I bought pre-BH. interest from Lending Club (which I am getting out of) and Fidelity CC Rewards, add them up and make amonthy Vanguard post-tax transfer. This gets divvied up into index ETF's.
limine

Post by limine »

John151 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm Anything over a certain amount in my local checking account goes to Vanguard, and that’s usually once a month.
Same here.
rick0

Post by rick0 »

Never - I'm retired. I withdraw ~ a years expenses annually.
Suman

Post by Suman »

15th and 30th. Also, once in Jan first week for backdoor IRA.
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

Monthly
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I invest by dollars, rather than by time. If I plan to buy a mutual fund, I normally buy it when I have $5000 available. If I plan to buy an ETF, I wait until I have enough to buy 100 shares.

The reason for 100 shares is that it makes trading easier. If I see a very small spread, I will place a marketable limit order, offering to buy at the ask. If I see a larger spread, I may go inside the spread. A bid for 100 shares gets displayed as the national best bid, which makes it more likely that another trader will see it and accept it.
Wiki David Grabiner
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

grabiner wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 pm I invest by dollars, rather than by time. If I plan to buy a mutual fund, I normally buy it when I have $5000 available. . . . . .
+1
Every 5 or 6 or 7 figures as it comes in.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Question for all of you who frequently contribute to taxable - do you have any concern about the number of lots you are creating and the impact that will have on tax loss harvesting? (And do you use specific ID form of accounting?)

GoldenFinch wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 am Every Monday. I invest taxable savings weekly and automatically. 401k money goes in twice each month too, so money is trickling in all the time. :moneybag
KlingKlang wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am When I was in the accumulation phase of my life I would mail in one check a month to my taxable MM account, then transfer part of that to my wife's taxable MM account, then transfer from those accounts to our respective tIRA and Roth IRA MM accounts. After that exchanged from MM accounts into our various stock and bond accounts according to our investment plan.
flamesabers wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am
Same for me.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 am As soon as I get cash, off it goes to my accounts.
jimishooch wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 am Still in accumulation phase so DCA into taxable every other week. contribute/convert to rIRA every January.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

About every two weeks, on average, to our Roth IRAs and to taxable. I couldn't care less about small lots in taxable. I track my total basis to make sure Vanguard doesn't make any big errors, but otherwise I rely on Vanguard to keep track of those for me. (In a pinch, I have PDFs of all of our old statements.)

As for the accounting, I use specific ID for our ETFs in taxable (VWO, VIOV), but I use average cost for our muni bond funds in taxable (VOHIX, VLMTX). I would use spec ID for VOHIX (Vang OH Long-Term TE), but that makes it difficult/impossible to exchange from that fund into an IRA, since Vanguard's system won't let you specify a dollar amount when you exchange from a fund using spec ID. They make you exchange a number of shares. So I switched to average cost early on so that I can contribute to our Roth IRAs from VOHIX if desired.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Loandapper wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am Question for all of you who frequently contribute to taxable - do you have any concern about the number of lots you are creating and the impact that will have on tax loss harvesting? (And do you use specific ID form of accounting?)

GoldenFinch wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 am Every Monday. I invest taxable savings weekly and automatically. 401k money goes in twice each month too, so money is trickling in all the time. :moneybag
Not concerned about lots (mostly based on reading about that issue elsewhere on this forum) and I have used specific ID to tax loss harvest in the past.
B. Wellington

Post by B. Wellington »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm
dwickenh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm Only on RBD's................ not
Me too. These days are rare nowadays.
+2 Yes, these seem to be more rare these days.

OP, on average, once a Month.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Loandapper wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am Question for all of you who frequently contribute to taxable - do you have any concern about the number of lots you are creating and the impact that will have on tax loss harvesting? (And do you use specific ID form of accounting?)
Not concerned about it, I keep the annual summary statement and Vanguard does a fine job of tracking the purchases. Impact on tax loss harvesting? What impact? I merely select the shares with the largest losses, and sell away. Or, sell the shares with the smallest gains to minimize my taxes, if redeeming shares.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Monthly.
OP: Curious why you ask. Are you trying to decide whether to add weekly, monthly, quarterly?
There are several considerations (DCA, Taxable lot management, etc.) so you might want to expand your question to include background.
trav867

Post by trav867 »

Monthly to taxable, plus quarterly to solo 401K. Also I occasionally work a side job and try to immediately transfer that money when I receive it rather than risk it disappearing.
soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 »

Looks like I am the crazy one then. I make 2 auto-deposits a week (Tuesday and Thursday). I guess I do it as a sort of DCA in case there is a dip. It probably isn't necessary, but I do.
Topic Author
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 am Monthly.
OP: Curious why you ask. Are you trying to decide whether to add weekly, monthly, quarterly?
There are several considerations (DCA, Taxable lot management, etc.) so you might want to expand your question to include background.

Yes, I'm considering how I should put money into my account. I have been putting money into our Vanguard every time either me or my wife gets a paycheck, but It's becoming a bit tedious so I'm considering transferring one time a month instead.

The 401ks are done automatically through work.
Last edited by investing1012 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

End of each month. Accumulation phase for me still...
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

This hasn't been a concern for me as I haven't needed to do tax loss harvesting. I'm in the 25% tax bracket, but with enough traditional 401k contributions I can get down to the 15% tax bracket.
spdoublebass

Post by spdoublebass »

investing1012 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 am Monthly.

Yes, I'm considering how I should put money into my account. I have been putting money into our Vanguard every time either me or my wife gets a paycheck, but It's becoming a bit tedious so I'm considering transferring one time a month instead.

The 401ks are done automatically through work.
Whatever is simplest is usually best.
I add every paycheck, but that is only because none of my accounts are through my job. I want to put a certain % from each paycheck so that is what I do. It's simple now with everything being online.

If I didn't do it right away I'd lose track, or I'd be moving the amount I want into a savings account. Either way it would involve something, so I just put it in the IRA money market or Solo 401K. We get a lot (not huge $ amounts) of checks and cash daily from our jobs.
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens