Book Recommendations: Nutrition / Psychology

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lawman3966

Book Recommendations: Nutrition / Psychology

Post by lawman3966 »

In view of the number of medical professionals on this board, I'm hoping to get some good reading recommendations for both nutrition and psychology for a lay person, hopefully in reasonably priced paperback editions.

I've done some initial browsing on Amazon, and most of the early hits in the nutrition category seem quite expensive and geared towards medical professionals, rather than towards general education. In view of my novice status in these fields, I'm hoping for something more geared for lay persons.

There were some reasonably priced paperback options among psychology books for a general audience. However, precisely because of the number of choices, I'd benefit from recommendations in this area as well.

Thanks in advance to the board for any help on this matter.
Raybo

Re: Book Recommendations: Nutrition / Psychology

Post by Raybo »

I am not a doctor or psychologist.

In some ways, this depends on what your interest in nutrition is. I've done a good bit of reading about nutrition in the past 40 years (since becoming a vegetarian). If you don't mind a lot of meatless proselytizing, the best book I've read on nutrition lately is "How Not To Die" by Gregor, an MD who specializes in reading nutrition studies and interpreting them for laypeople. Now in paperback. You can get a taste of his style at nutritionfacts.org.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Try this book.

eat food not too much mostly plants
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

The China study for nutrition.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Within nutrition, there are several different approaches about what is "healthy", and they can conflict considerably.

Looking at the scientific evidence*, not all of the so-called "common-sense" advice is supported, and some of the old "scientific findings" are no longer supported (newer/different methodologies).
This isn't unlike other scientific fields, but it tends to cover a more "everyday life experience" for people than other scientific fields.
And as in other sciences, there is a bias such that "the old guard" is not particularly supportive of new approaches (assorted variations of Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", etc.). It can be difficult to get funding to test new approaches, when the funding judges fear that the new study might appear to contradict their own life's work, etc. (Again, this is not specific to nutrition. But nutrition is front and center for many of us.)

My point is to read any single book/approach with a degree of scepticism, and perhaps look for other approaches.
And if this is for actual dietary choices, rather than just scientific curiosity, choose what makes the most sense for you and what *works* for you.
No "diet" is going to "work" if one cannot stick with it.
And it also isn't clear that there is a "one size fits all" in terms of what is healthy.
It isn't even clear that some "universals" were "correct" at all. Eat eggs? Don't eat eggs? Don't use butter, use margarine! Margarine (aka certain very specific types of fats) is particularly unhealthy. Etc.
It can be important at times to keep in mind that some of the different approaches (each with notable scientific proponents) can directly contradict each other.

It can be fascinating from a philosophy of science perspective, but a bit befuddling at times in practical terms about "which approach/advice to follow" or "what to do".

*Full disclosure: I have done clinical research in this field, among others.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have always been healthy and want to keep it this way. The book that started me on prudent diet and lifestyle was "Spontaneous Healing" by Dr. Andrew Weil, MD. I then read several other Weil's books, all of which were good. Similarly to investing, once I knew the basics further reading about health has diminishing returns, but occasionally I find some new sources.

A while ago, I discovered Robert L. Blum, MD, PhD, who has an impressive list of credentials and interesting suggestions about healthy lifestyle as well as other topics, http://www.bobblum.com/ . Blum is an MIT classmate of Ray Kurzweil.

One of the best books in Psychology is "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:45 pm
It can be fascinating from a philosophy of science perspective, but a bit befuddling at times in practical terms about "which approach/advice to follow" or "what to do".
+1. The lay press of medical/nutrition advice is at least as sleazy and self-serving as that of the financial services industries. Even the folks who start out of semi-sane (Dr. Oz) go off the rails when and where money is at stake. Adele Davis was way ahead of her time back in the 70s -- not sure we've come too far since then (i.e., avoid artificial preservatives and coloring). The *actual* advice that one needs could probably fit on a 3x5 card (if they still make those). The biggest one -- x1000 -- is simply portion control, and matching intake to metabolic need. Eat a wide variety of foods consisting of the fewest ingredients possible -- high in fiber and as close to their natural state as possible (cooking is fine, but other chemical processing is to be avoided). Limit sugar intake. No soft drinks, diet or otherwise. No artificially hydrogenated fats. If you enjoy alcohol, don't stop. If you have hypertension or kidney disease, restrict your salt intake. I think that's pretty much it. Hard to make it into a whole book. I grill steaks and go to restaurants and eat too much sugar and salt, but I'm generally pretty good. Spouse is a vegan -- who will also eat steak if it looks really good :D .

Hopefully, there will be plenty of cool stuff soon about influencing your own microbiome -- and the metabolism that's done not by you but by the however-many-pounds of colonic bacteria you're lugging around. That could end up having a huge impact upon obesity, etc.

You'll probably learn more about the psychology of happiness on this forum than in any book...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Also not a doctor, but I would start with an overall view of nutrition from reputable sources such as the Mayo Clinic. Here's Mayo's site on nutrition, which includes inexpensive books:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... v-20049477

As for psychology books, are you looking for a specific subject?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Dhs

Post by Dhs »

Anything by Michael Pollan--

Food Rules
In Defense of Food

Good information about nutrition, as well as psychology of food
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Dhs wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm Anything by Michael Pollan--

Food Rules
In Defense of Food

+1. My wife is a dietitian and introduced me to Michael Pollan. I'd add Omnivore's Dilemma and Cooked to the list. His work is more geared towards our somewhat broken relationship with food. But it's not prescriptive material, if that's what you're seeking.
Last edited by Sic Vis Pacem on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Nutrition forum: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?13
One interesting article:
https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ma ... atios.html
Nutrition advice is always changing and everyone is opinionated. Different things seem to work for different people. In the 90's fat was evil and now carbs are, so take most things you read with a grain of salt! :D
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

25 year longitudinal study on centenarians on Okinawa:
https://www.amazon.com/Okinawa-Program- ... wa+program

It's pretty heavy. It does address not only nutrition aspects, but also social aspects and more.

The condensed book:
https://www.amazon.com/Okinawa-Program- ... wa+program

An even easier read:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Secon ... n+buettner
which includes Okinawa and three other locations with high rates of centenarians.

+1 on China Study. It's working for Bill Clinton
http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-livi ... vegan.html
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

Not a book, but a chart of acid-causing and anti-acid (alkaline) foods given to me by a doctor:

https://sites.google.com/site/healthguy ... /foodchart

I used to get severe acid reflux. Now, I try to eat as 'alkaline' of a diet as I can and I usually don't get acid reflux. However, when I eat too much acid-causing food (like sweets, processed food, pasta, alcohol, ice cream, or meat), I take about 5 'calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplements with vitamin D3' (333mg calcium per pill) to make it go away.

My go-to food for combating acid reflux is watermelon (cantaloupe also works well).

A lot of people know that they have acid-causing 'trigger' foods, but most people don't know about the natural anti-acid foods (like watermelon, cantaloupe, kale, sweet potatoes, and molasses). Further, it was surprising to me that some plants, such as soybeans (tofu) and spinach, are acid-causing.

Other than the food chart, the rest of the blog on the above link can be ignored. I wrote it a long time ago and no longer have the password to change it.

If anyone here is suffering from acid reflux, you might want to try eating less of the acid-causing foods in the above chart and more of the anti-acid foods (especially the 'Highest anti-acid') foods to see if you can make it go away or at least control it better.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Nutrition -
The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

Psychology -
The Cult of Personality Testing - Annie Murphy Paul
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
canon_shooter

Post by canon_shooter »

I suggest you be more specific on what aspect of nutrition interests you so the answers can be more focused to your needs. However, the recommendations here have been very good:
1. It's not that complicated as has been stated. Eat real food, eat often but small sizes, avoid sugar, fat, salt, and everything in moderation.
2. The omnivores dilemma by pollens was very influential for me.
3. It's not enough to understand nutrition science, but also how the food industry (like the tobacco companies) is trying to hook you on foods that are not good for you. Sugar, fat, salt is an excellent book. https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat-G ... 0812982193

How about using your local library to get these books in order to keep costs down?
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Dhs wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm Anything by Michael Pollan--

Food Rules
In Defense of Food

+1. In defense of food is the best book I've read on this subject so far.
maj

Post by maj »

Depth Psychology and a New Ethic by Eric Neumann. Paperback, about $20

Early one morning, many years ago. I started reading this thin volume based on Carl Jung's psychology. I could not stop, missed all meals, and finished in the late evening. That was the first of many readings.
The book turned my psychological ethics upside down and changed my life in a major and lasting way.

Quote: "In the economy of the psyche, the outcast role of the alien is immensely important as an object for the projection of the shadow.
The shadow--that part of our personality which is "alien" to our ego, our own unconscious counter-position, which is subversive of our conscious attitude and security--can be exteriorized and subsequently destroyed. The fight against heretics, political opponents and national enemies is actually the fight against our own religious doubts, the insecurity of our own political position, and the one-sidedness of our own national viewpoint."

peace
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Some good psychology-ish books for the layperson that I've enjoyed recently...
  • Mindset -- Carol Dweck
  • The Talent Code -- Daniel Coyle
  • 10% Happier -- Dan Harris
  • The Gratitude Diaries -- Janice Kaplan
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
fposte

Post by fposte »

How about some food psychology? Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating is funny and fascinating.
Topic Author
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

canon_shooter wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:17 am
How about using your local library to get these books in order to keep costs down?
Thanks to Canon Shooter and all the others for your kind suggestions. I will indeed check these titles out at the local library.
bumblebh

Post by bumblebh »

I am a physician and agree with the suggestions for Michael Pollan. In Defense of Food in particular is quite good. I think someone posted the first line earlier, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." That line says a lot.

I would also suggest Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter Willett. It is somewhat older, but it is very good basic book regarding nutrition. Explains concepts of good fats, bad fats, how much protein you ideally need, vitamins/minerals, etc.

You can get used copies of both of these on Amazon for a couple bucks.

Post by 2015 »

The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor by Mark Schatzker might gross people out enough to change their diet. But I doubt it. 2/3 of Americans are overweight, 1/3 are obese. 40% of Baby Boomers are obese. Moreover, the numbers are trending upward: by 2050, over 40% of all Americans could be obese--not overweight--obese. I've come to the conclusion that very few people are actually serious about diet and exercise. What most refer to as "eating healthy" is actually not, and what many refer to as exercise rarely is.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:01 pm The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor by Mark Schatzker might gross people out enough to change their diet. But I doubt it. 2/3 of Americans are overweight, 1/3 are obese. 40% of Baby Boomers are obese. Moreover, the numbers are trending upward: by 2050, over 40% of all Americans could be obese--not overweight--obese. I've come to the conclusion that very few people are actually serious about diet and exercise. What most refer to as "eating healthy" is actually not, and what many refer to as exercise rarely is.
As a group, the Bogleheads are not bad. Take a look at this picture from the last year's Bogleheads conference:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226805#p3514888

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

PoppyA wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:38 pm The China study for nutrition.
I don't want to get this thread shut down, but NO. I think even T. Colin Campbell has given up trying to support it as legit science. Very few people in the field are unbiased. Pollan and Walter Willett are two of the good ones who don't very obviously skew data, even though Pollan is a journalist and not a nutrition scientist by any stretch.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm
I think even T. Colin Campbell has given up trying to support it as legit science.
Could you give a citation for that claim. I can't find one.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

fposte wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am How about some food psychology? Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating is funny and fascinating.
+1
Great book, good reading even if you're not dieting.

Younger Next Year is another good read, just basic advice about exercise and keeping life balance.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

The Vitamin Pushers by Stephen Barrett, MD and Victor Herbert MD, JD. The subtitle is: How the "Health Food" Industry is Selling America a Bill of Goods. Dr. Barrett also runs the Quackwatch.com website.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tadamsmar wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 pm
I think even T. Colin Campbell has given up trying to support it as legit science.
A citation for a study that the writer of a book (it is not a study, Campbell's data or analysis was not peer-reviewed) has given up trying to debate that his data was skewed and in some cases totally made up :confused? I am far from anti-vegan, but I also don't like one-sided vegan propaganda being passed off as science. Several well known people in the field, including Chris Kresser and Chris Masterjohn, have destroyed the validity of the China "Study" and Campbell has had no response other than attempting to bash the credentials of those who evaluated his work.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 am
tadamsmar wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 pm
A citation for a study that the writer of a book (it is not a study, Campbell's data or analysis was not peer-reviewed) has given up trying to debate that his data was skewed and in some cases totally made up :confused? I am far from anti-vegan, but I also don't like one-sided vegan propaganda being passed off as science. Several well known people in the field, including Chris Kresser and Chris Masterjohn, have destroyed the validity of the China "Study" and Campbell has had no response other than attempting to bash the credentials of those who evaluated his work.
Seems that Kresser just cites Masterjohn and other critics, not sure he adds anything that needs a direct response from Campbell, given that Campbell has responded to the critics that Kresser cites. Here is Campbell's response to Masterjohn, this response obviously contains a lot more than merely bashing Masterjohn's credentials:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/camp ... sponse.htm

By the way, here is Chris Masterjohn's assessment of his own credentials:
Chris Masterjohn wrote:Please understand that I am not, however, qualified to dispense medical or health advice of any kind.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/C ... rjohn.html