Can't freeze credit at Experian?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
fast_and_curious

Can't freeze credit at Experian?

Post by fast_and_curious »

After the recent Equifax hack - both my wife and I were on the list, according to their site - we decided to freeze our credit reports at all 3 bureaus. Note that I live in a state where there is no charge to freeze or unfreeze your credit reporting.

We were both able to do the freeze online at both TransUnion and Equifax, with no problems at all.

But at Experian, we both get the same message: "We were unable to honor your request to place a security freeze on your personal credit report based on the information you entered." The information we entered was just name, address (which hasn't changed in > 10 years), SSN, and DOB.

There are follow-up instructions saying we can freeze our reports by sending a whole bunch of information (SSN, DOB, address, copy of driver's license, copy of recent utility bill/bank statement, etc.) via postal mail to their address. But given that the whole reason for freezing our reports is to prevent ID theft, I don't really want to send all that sensitive information in the same envelope, where some person will open it all up and hopefully do the right thing. I was really hoping to just do it online.

So - has anyone been able to freeze their report @ Experian online? Wonder why both of us would be unable to do so (yet able to do it at the other 2 agencies). Thoughts as to whether gathering all that information and sending it via mail is the best route to take here?

Thanks!!
Rupert

Re: Can't freeze credit at Experian?

Post by Rupert »

Send it to them certified mail, return-receipt requested. Less likely to be compromised in the mail that way. Have you looked at your credit report? They may have some reason to suspect your information has been compromised. That may be why they're giving you a hard time. You could also try calling them, but I have found that to be more of an ordeal than just sending them an info packet by certified mail.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Are you sure it was experian? Equifax was the one that only did basic information for me and wife without asking for a second page of more specific questions. Equifax denied the online freeze for my wife and I.
Use Clark.com guide to credit freeze for sample letter and info to send.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credi ... haw-guide/
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

slin wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:53 pm There are follow-up instructions saying we can freeze our reports by sending a whole bunch of information (SSN, DOB, address, copy of driver's license, copy of recent utility bill/bank statement, etc.)
Only entity I ever had to provide with a utility bill was Global Entry, and that was just to verify residence in the U.S. Is it possible there's some confusion with them over whether or not you're a U.S. citizen?
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

Last time I tried to check my credit reports, two of the three would not allow me to do it on-line and requested I send info through the mail. Had the same problem with my mother's credit reports
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I was able to freeze my wife's credit at Experian online today, but mine failed. I think I know why: I bungled one of the questions they used to verify my identity. I tried to do it again but no go, once you've failed the online process there's no do-over. I'm going to have to apply by US mail now.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

We did all 5 credit bureaus yesterday for H and me. We only had a slight glitch with Transunion because some of their info is dated/old and we didn't like the multiple choice options. Fortunately we were able to complete the freeze over the phone. It was easier than when we did fraud alerts previously and had to mail in documentation.
Last edited by HIinvestor on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

Froze all of our accounts just now. all went through except Experian for DW. Her's failed with the same message yours did, no idea why.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Happened to both me and my wife. Annoying thing is it failed AFTER asking for CC info.

I then tried it on the phone. Mine worked but my wife's did not.

So if you failed online, worth trying over the phone!
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Same thing happened to me.

I immediately tried again and got the same error message, no verification questions.

Tried one last time, maybe 30 min had passed since 1st attempt, and it gave me a new set of verification questions and finally processed the request to freeze.
Last edited by StevieG72 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

HIinvestor wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm We did all 5 credit bureaus yesterday fir H and me. We only had a slight glitch with Transunion because some of their info is dated/old and we didn't like the multiple choice options. Fortunately we were able to complete the freeze over the phone. It was easier than when we did fraud alerts previously and had to mail in documentation.
5? The big 3 are Transunion, Equifax, and Experian.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Yes, there are those big 3 plus Innovis and also ChexSystems. I figured if I'm going to be complete and protect myself and H, we might as well be thorough.
denovo

Post by denovo »

DireWolf wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 pm
HIinvestor wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm We did all 5 credit bureaus yesterday fir H and me. We only had a slight glitch with Transunion because some of their info is dated/old and we didn't like the multiple choice options. Fortunately we were able to complete the freeze over the phone. It was easier than when we did fraud alerts previously and had to mail in documentation.
5? The big 3 are Transunion, Equifax, and Experian.
Some people, including me, are freezing Innovis and ChexSystems.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I was able to freeze credit on Experian and Equifax online. Very easy and quick. However, Transunion was unable to authenticate me and I will have to call and talk with a real person monday. Transunion asked some odd questions, some of which I had no idea what the answer was, so I probably answered one of them wrong. It sounds like it is hit and miss with doing this at all 3 companies.
blenhardt

Post by blenhardt »

I too could not freeze my wife's credit on Experian. Got the same message many of you got. They charged my credit card but did credit it back. Hope they get their act straightened up soon.
RetiredMule

Post by RetiredMule »

StevieG72 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 pm Same thing happened to me.

I immediately tried again and got the same error message, no verification questions.

Tried one last time, maybe 30 min had passed simce 1st attempt, and it gave me a new set of verification questions and finally processed the request to freeze.
Ditto happened to me - 3 trials so far, none successful. Doesn't even give me a phone # to call to get it done over the phone. Any info on any phone # for Experian to do the credit freeze?
Thanks!
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

Same happened for both myself and DW, at Experian. They also charged the card for each attempt (which is kind of a crappy process...shouldn't charge unless it actually does it!) Based on the above post, it will probably credit back. I've got everything printed and ready to mail, to do it the old-fashioned way, but what a hassle!
beyou

Post by beyou »

These firms are going out of their way to make the process difficult.
For instance, when you get the questions to verify your identity, I was asked if I had a credit card from
which of these firms :

Citi
Chase
Citi card
etc

So if I have citi, which do I pick ?
And if I pick the "wrong one" then I have to go via snail mail ?

What a joke, they did this on 2 different questions.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

I was able to freeze Experian and Equifax online.

I was at the last step of my transaction for TransUnion - entered my CC # and pushed the button. It told me something was wrong and to call their customer service #.

So I called the TransUnion customer service #, entered my CC# again, and the automated voice said the phone transaction was successful.

Afterwards, I checked my CC info online and noticed 2 charges from TranUnion for $10 each. Hopefully they'll credit me for one of them. Not holding my breath, though.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
bluegrassman

Post by bluegrassman »

Same thing happened to my wife and me. Online freezes at other bureaus were quick and easy. Like one person said, they tell you they cannot do the freeze AFTER they take your credit card info, even though in the prior seconds the site said it was verifying identify. Nothing was bungled, and a different credit card made no difference. Tried several times for each of us. Now, from reading past replies, we might have been charged $10 multiple times. Totally ridiculous. These companies might ultimately make a windfall from all this.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

RetiredMule wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 am

Tried one last time, maybe 30 min had passed simce 1st attempt, and it gave me a new set of verification questions and finally processed the request to freeze.
Ditto happened to me - 3 trials so far, none successful. Doesn't even give me a phone # to call to get it done over the phone. Any info on any phone # for Experian to do the credit freeze?
Thanks!
Call 1-888-397-3742, then hit options 2,2,1,2. (This assumes you aren't already an ID theft victim and have a police report). I did this and I got an automated message that they couldn't do it over the phone and instead I have to mail in my request along with the usual gov't ID and utility bill. But your experience may be different as I was already rejected from the online process. Give it a try.
afan

Post by afan »

I had no luck with online freezing. Either the sites hung or one claimed I had failed the identification questions. Phone freezing, all automatic no talking to a person, worked fine.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I was able to freeze mine with the three bureau online, but DW's couldn't do it with / denied by Transunion and Experian although she did the confirmation and put in the CC. Equifax didn't ask for any confirmation, just very basic info.

I am going to wait and try again online on Monday. it's very strange because DW just requested the annual free credit report with Experian right before trying to freeze with no problem. Both of us also have creditkarma account, which I think getting their info from Transunion (?).

Thanks for the tips on CC charges. I am going to have to watch for those. DW tried either one of them couple times I think with different CCs (once using mine on which she's authorized user, once with her own AMEX).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

armeliusc wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:21 pm I was able to freeze mine with the three bureau online, but DW's couldn't do it with / denied by Transunion and Experian although she did the confirmation and put in the CC. Equifax didn't ask for any confirmation, just very basic info.

I am going to wait and try again online on Monday. it's very strange because DW just requested the annual free credit report with Experian right before trying to freeze with no problem. Both of us also have creditkarma account, which I think getting their info from Transunion (?).

Thanks for the tips on CC charges. I am going to have to watch for those. DW tried either one of them couple times I think with different CCs (once using mine on which she's authorized user, once with her own AMEX).
I just checked my Amex and I have three pending $10 charges from Experian, one for each of my three unsuccessful online attempts. You have to enter your CC before they tell you it failed. But they haven't posted yet and I expect them to disappear as I could never actually freeze my credit.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

After failing to freeze my credit online for Equifax for both my wife and I, and Experian for my wife, I was able to freeze them both over the phone. What I am wondering is how come the phone option is easier than online? Is it because they can see the phone number I am calling from is listed with them? Or is there some other reason that they make it easier over the phone. Equifax did not ask for my cc number when I froze with them over the phone.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I just checked my cc and have multiple charges for my failed attempts also. We will see if they fall off.
mrc

Post by mrc »

mhalley wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm I just checked my cc and have multiple charges for my failed attempts also. We will see if they fall off.
Me too, with TransUnion. I hate CRAs for so many reasons. It's maddening to receive an email from the credit card folks that a card not present transaction just took place, followed by TransUnion's failure screen. Grr.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Devo87

Post by Devo87 »

Hello all, I ran across this forum after my security freeze frustration with Experian as well. I tried the online freeze twice. Failed twice. Although they did charge me $5 each instance, I did see the $5 credit after each failed transaction. All others went fairly smooth (well, except my wifes Transunion freeze). Curious, has anyone tried submitting to Experian via their "upload" page? They state "You may also submit your request or documents" for a freeze. If it's possible to pre-fill a letter (with supporting documents) and submit it that way it might save some time and a stamp.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

For me, all 3 online credit freezes worked.

For my wife, it only worked on Equifax. Experian said she had to mail her info in (it never asked any questions). TransUnion just kept erring out on her account she was supposed to create, then it claimed she already had an account. But when she tried to log in, it told her there was an unspecified error and she had to call.

What a pain.

And did anyone else notice that Equifax uses a date time-stamp for their pin? What the hell. It's no wonder their system got hacked, their software is garbage. With a date timestamp, you could probably easily write a brute force hacking algorithm to guess the pins. Especially when most will be reset within a week of the Equifax hack.
Assuming they don't lock it out if you guess more than a couple times. I didn't actually look how many pin attempts you get.
tj

Post by tj »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:06 pm
RetiredMule wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks!
Call 1-888-397-3742, then hit options 2,2,1,2. (This assumes you aren't already an ID theft victim and have a police report). I did this and I got an automated message that they couldn't do it over the phone and instead I have to mail in my request along with the usual gov't ID and utility bill. But your experience may be different as I was already rejected from the online process. Give it a try.
I wasn't able to do it online, but I was successful via phone.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Gadget wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:51 pm For me, all 3 online credit freezes worked.

For my wife, it only worked on Equifax. Experian said she had to mail her info in (it never asked any questions). TransUnion just kept erring out on her account she was supposed to create, then it claimed she already had an account. But when she tried to log in, it told her there was an unspecified error and she had to call.

What a pain.

And did anyone else notice that Equifax uses a date time-stamp for their pin?
What the hell. It's no wonder their system got hacked, their software is garbage. With a date timestamp, you could probably easily write a brute force hacking algorithm to guess the pins. Especially when most will be reset within a week of the Equifax hack.
Assuming they don't lock it out if you guess more than a couple times. I didn't actually look how many pin attempts you get.
Yes this was noticed yesterday. It makes it so much easier for the bad guys to guess the PIN as probably most of the freezes occurred just since the breach was reported on Thursday.
Edit: There's a story about this today in the NYT as was mentioned in another thread:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/your ... tcore-ipad
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial »

I had the same experience not being able to complete the credit freeze online at Experian. They wanted additional information; a copy of drivers license, SS #, date of birth, and copy of a current bill in my name to help verify my identity. I sent it in a USPS priority mail envelope with a postal money order for payment. It took about two weeks to receive my pin # in the mail. No problem other than jumping through a few extra hoops.

LPSpecial :happy
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

slin wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:53 pm After the recent Equifax hack - both my wife and I were on the list, according to their site - we decided to freeze our credit reports at all 3 bureaus. Note that I live in a state where there is no charge to freeze or unfreeze your credit reporting.

We were both able to do the freeze online at both TransUnion and Equifax, with no problems at all.

But at Experian, we both get the same message: "We were unable to honor your request to place a security freeze on your personal credit report based on the information you entered." The information we entered was just name, address (which hasn't changed in > 10 years), SSN, and DOB.

There are follow-up instructions saying we can freeze our reports by sending a whole bunch of information (SSN, DOB, address, copy of driver's license, copy of recent utility bill/bank statement, etc.) via postal mail to their address. But given that the whole reason for freezing our reports is to prevent ID theft, I don't really want to send all that sensitive information in the same envelope, where some person will open it all up and hopefully do the right thing. I was really hoping to just do it online.

So - has anyone been able to freeze their report @ Experian online? Wonder why both of us would be unable to do so (yet able to do it at the other 2 agencies). Thoughts as to whether gathering all that information and sending it via mail is the best route to take here?

Thanks!!
Same problem here. Just sent the paperwork for both of us in $13.20 in postage. Thankfully NJ is free to set it up. I did all five as well.
Lyndakaa

Post by Lyndakaa »

1-888-397-3742 Froze.... Experian... early morning 1st thing today... was able to over the phone...mine and my husbands 2 sep. phone calls from CA.. had a fee.. 10 $ and will send in mail a pin number... I checked and it went through on my CC.

hope that helps... but I could not get TransUnion to over the phone.... but Equifax I could over the phone... for free. 1-800-685-1111
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I don't know whether or not I should put in a freeze at ChexSystems, but at the moment I don't need to know as I can't even get the relevant web page to load, and have been trying sporadically since yesterday with no luck.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
craigers

Post by craigers »

I failed with all three (Experian, Equifax, Transunion) last night online, but today I froze Experian, and Equifax over the phone and Transunion online.

Point being give it another try and call if the online interface doesn't work.

Good luck!
stickyman

Post by stickyman »

Gadget wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:51 pm For me, all 3 online credit freezes worked.

What a pain.

And did anyone else notice that Equifax uses a date time-stamp for their pin? What the hell. It's no wonder their system got hacked, their software is garbage. With a date timestamp, you could probably easily write a brute force hacking algorithm to guess the pins. Especially when most will be reset within a week of the Equifax hack.
I heard about the time stamp PIN as well, but when I froze my account as well as my wife's account (9/11/17), Equifax sent us two very different PINs that exhibited no evidence of an embedded date/time stamp. My guess is that they changed their PIN protocol and are now using randomly generated PIN numbers. Probably changed due to bad press and public outcry.
vgw

Post by vgw »

At Experian my info is always accepted but:

We are very sorry, we seem to have run into a technical problem with our system and are unable to complete your request at this time.

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, contact customer support.
Error Information

Group 11

Equifax and Transunion successful after multiple attempts.

This kind of makes me regret having agreed to give them my information in the first place. :)
BarbPoetry

Post by BarbPoetry »

I haven't been able to get anywhere with trying to place a security freeze with Equifax. What was the phone number that got results, please? (craigers)
flowergirl99

Post by flowergirl99 »

I tried today to freeze my credit on Experian and Equifax. Was not able to, however I was able to do it with TransUnion. Really frustrating, keep getting an error message.
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

Was able to freeze at every institution except Experian.

Like someone above, made a stupid mistake on one of my old addresses. Now it won't let me redo.

The phone method didn't work for me.
BarbPoetry

Post by BarbPoetry »

I was able to get my credit report at Experian, but not a credit freeze - go figure!
cresive

Post by cresive »

HIinvestor wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm We did all 5 credit bureaus yesterday for H and me. We only had a slight glitch with Transunion because some of their info is dated/old and we didn't like the multiple choice options. Fortunately we were able to complete the freeze over the phone. It was easier than when we did fraud alerts previously and had to mail in documentation.

I only know of 4 credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax, Transunion and Innovis. Who is the 5th?!
Ruanny

Post by Ruanny »

Husband able to get Experian and Equifax freeze after many attempts, Transunion keeps telling me they are very busy because of Equifax, now they say my H account was suspended...?
Nothing has worked for me, Experian asked me to send papers, Transunion lets me sign in on my account and once I am there it says they could not verify my information?
Equifax at the confirmation stage shows ' Error 500'

What a nightmare... I have more than two days trying to do this. :confused
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Experian, Innovis and ChexSystems were easy for me. Equifax and Transunion must be swamped because it took four attempts for each one of them to place a freeze.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

had to call Experian. it is all automated, you don't actually talk to anyone.

all the rest I did online no problem.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
ronhh

Post by ronhh »

I was successful at putting "freezes" on my accounts at all three reporting agencies. But, it took about 2 hours to get it done given the amount of traffic that is hitting the websites. I did it all online, and it did not require a credit card or any payment (I live in South Carolina, this may be state specific). I feel better for having done this. However, it's not a silver bullet. There are still hundreds of ways that bad guys/gals can use our personal information. I have LifeLock in place; but they do not appear to be the poster children for customer service. It kinda boils down to doing the best you can and being nimble. Interested in any thoughts/perspectives on this?
Stay The Course
Ruanny

Post by Ruanny »

I was able to place a freeze on Transunion last night by phone (no charge) Yay! However, Experian continue telling me I need to send my papers by mail and my attempts doing it by phone have been unsuccessful. Experian charged 10.15 for my H freeze but Equifax was also free. After many attempts, Equifax answer me 'we were able to locate your file, what do you want to do: lift, remove...' What? I have not even been able to place a freeze with them... :confused
Placing the freeze with Innovis was easy and free.
I have read that there is a fifth credit agency, I will try to do the same.
H and I also have a protection package, I think you are right, we need to do what we can in order to protect ourselves. Today I am going to try with Experian and Equifax again, hope it works or I will be sending my info by mail.
PBenjung

Re: Can't freeze credit at Experian? - Uploaded Info

Post by PBenjung »

Did the freeze online no problem with Equifax and TU but had the same problem everyone else is having with Experian. I use the upload option instead of snail mail and am waiting for confirmation the freeze is in effect. Did anyone else try this?
stl717

Re: Can't freeze credit at Experian? - Uploaded Info

Post by stl717 »

PBenjung wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 am Did the freeze online no problem with Equifax and TU but had the same problem everyone else is having with Experian. I use the upload option instead of snail mail and am waiting for confirmation the freeze is in effect. Did anyone else try this?

I was unable to freeze my wife's experian acct and uploaded her stuff Friday. Of course I've heard nothing yet, but I'll let you know when/if I do.