Anyone else freeze their credit score?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
DaftInvestor

Re: Anyone else freeze their credit score?

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am
Pajamas wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am
I believe with this breach and all of the press around it that it will start to become the new norm.
I agree but also believe that it will be easier and cheaper to freeze and unfreeze your credit in the near future.
It's tricky.
If it's easier for *you* to freeze and especially unfreeze credit, then it's likely to be easier for those "others", too.

RM
Easy and Secure aren't always necessarily opposites. Unlocking my phone with my fingerprint is more secure that a 4-digit pin and also happens to be easier (at least for me).
Bio-metrics has its own set of vulnerabilities. The system may not recognize your fingerprints for a reading or might incorrectly give access to an unauthorized person.

If you were a victim of the OPM breach, your fingerprints could have been stolen and recreated with a rubber mold by using a 3-D printer. Even if you weren't impacted by that breach, you leave your fingerprints on everything you touch, assuming you don't wear gloves all the time.

Also, unlike a PIN, you can't change your fingerprints.
Nothings perfect but I still believe a fingerprint is better than a simple pin (especially 4 digits). I've dazzled my coworkers by unlocking their PIN-enabled smart-phones when they leave them lying around. I can't do that with fingerprint-only locked ones (unless the person falls asleep and doesn't awake when I press the phone against their finger).
In any case - assuming example was perhaps bad and can be argued - my point was - easier doesn't always translate to less secure.

Post by 2015 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Froze 4 of the 5 agencies, but having an awful time with Transunion. Attempts to initiate the freeze online without going through my Transunion account and entering mountains of information always ends with a screen stating the site is unavailable. Repeated calls get me all the way through entering CC information and then I get transferred to an agent, which ends in a busy signal, then disconnect. Attempt today to initiate freeze through my Transunion account got me all the way through to entering the CC information only to get a screen stating I'd have to call. :annoyed

As I will be a member financial beneficiary of the upcoming Anthem breach class-action settlement, I have already submitted two inquiries with two different law firms inquiring about joining current active Equifax class-action lawsuits. The only power I have as a consumer, however small, is economic.

I'm guessing Equifax will probably will be merged with some other company in next the few years, to include some type of Orwellian name change to something like "CreditSolutions" to bury the sins of the past. :twisted:

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Are there any thoughts about consolidating best practices for this into the wiki?

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 am

I agree but also believe that it will be easier and cheaper to freeze and unfreeze your credit in the near future.
It's tricky.
If it's easier for *you* to freeze and especially unfreeze credit, then it's likely to be easier for those "others", too.

RM
Easy and Secure aren't always necessarily opposites. Unlocking my phone with my fingerprint is more secure that a 4-digit pin and also happens to be easier (at least for me).
Bio-metrics has its own set of vulnerabilities. The system may not recognize your fingerprints for a reading or might incorrectly give access to an unauthorized person.

If you were a victim of the OPM breach, your fingerprints could have been stolen and recreated with a rubber mold by using a 3-D printer. Even if you weren't impacted by that breach, you leave your fingerprints on everything you touch, assuming you don't wear gloves all the time.

Nothings perfect but I still believe a fingerprint is better than a simple pin (especially 4 digits). I've dazzled my coworkers by unlocking their PIN-enabled smart-phones when they leave them lying around. I can't do that with fingerprint-only locked ones (unless the person falls asleep and doesn't awake when I press the phone against their finger).
In any case - assuming example was perhaps bad and can be argued - my point was - easier doesn't always translate to less secure.
I am paranoid.

A thief needs a gun to my head for me to enter my 6 digit PIN.

A thief just needs to cut off to my finger to unlock with a fingerprint.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm

need403bhelp wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

It's tricky.

RM

I am paranoid.

I guess you won't be using facial recognition then :)

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:11 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm
need403bhelp wrote:
I am paranoid.

The meme I saw today: "I punched him in the face so hard he won't be able to unlock his phone for a week!"

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm
need403bhelp wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

I am paranoid.

Definitely not!

misterno

Post by misterno » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 pm

winski58 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm
Just froze Experian, TransUnion and Equifax this morning and there was no charge. Does this mean my credit has been breached?
how did you freeze all of them for free?

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 pm

misterno wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 pm
winski58 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm
Just froze Experian, TransUnion and Equifax this morning and there was no charge. Does this mean my credit has been breached?
how did you freeze all of them for free?
It's free in some states.

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Froze all five today. Had fingers crossed but it went off (mostly) without a hitch.

Relatively speaking, TU was the most tedious one--took a while to find the freeze page (they've buried it in favor of TrueIdentity) and then got a "busy, try later" message several times. Finally, got access, then had to create account and answer some rather (in my case) ambiguous id verification questions that caused me to get booted off the site the first time around.

Gonna sleep better tonight :D Good luck and godspeed to all fellow "freezers".

bbees

Post by bbees » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:23 am

Down here in the hills we just got word tonight about Equifax--leery about enrolling on free Trusted ID so the freeze is a coming.

Thanks for all the good info, been out of touch with forum for several weeks.

heybro

Post by heybro » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 am

Just understand that freezing your account does not completely protect you. People can still hack your existing accounts or cause damage to you in other ways.

Furthermore, a freeze can set you back when applying for a job, setting up utilities, or renting an apartment.

As always, be aware of all scams as they are getting more and more sophisticated. And, since they can easily get ALL information about you, they can easily sound legit at the time.

bob_m10

Post by bob_m10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:34 am

We froze our credit years ago because of identity theft. My wife and I had to do separate freezes with each agency for a total of 6.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 am

A bit bemused that people are complaining about the difficulty of freezing their credit ratings, which they want to do because the credit rating companies are too lax, but be that as it may-- I get a new credit card maybe once every 5 years. If I go online to the typical quickie credit card application web site, I don't recall them providing info about what their application investigations will include. Getting a mortgage or car loan in an office is one thing, but how do I know what credit rating service to unfreeze for those online applications?

It seems like there may be some other interesting effects also-- my spouse couldn't set up a social security account online (they demanded she go to a SS office with ID). After we later happened to establish her first credit card in her name, out of curiosity I tried for a SS web account again, SS granted it without problems, without any explanation of what the problem had been or what I'd have needed to unfreeze.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:27 am

need403bhelp wrote:

A thief just needs to cut off my finger to unlock with a fingerprint.
But which finger?
That is the ten dollar question...
Attempted new signature...

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 am

I locked transunion with the free version of trueidentity

I froze chexsystems, Experian, Equifax, innovis
Experian charged 10$
Transunion charges 10$ for freeze and it's harder than trueidentity lock to unfreeze

From what I understand, sagestream, ars, and ews are 3 additional bureaus that exist
I found a blog that talked about how to freeze sagestream and ars, but it requires fax or phone and I don't like putting in my social without encryption

Is there any real benefit of a TransUnion freeze over free tu trueidentity lock?
IT-DevOps System Administrator

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am

Angelus359 wrote:I don't like putting in my social without encryption
and how do you feel when filling out paperwork for every new doctor / dentist office? :annoyed

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am

I got through to everyone except Experian. I just get a gray page with "Loading..." in the top left corner and it never loads.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 am

learning_head wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am
and how do you feel when filling out paperwork for every new doctor / dentist office? :annoyed
I always skip any question that asks for either my SSN or my DL and have never had a problem doing so.
(The only reason I understand that they need it is to assist a collection agency in tracking you down if you don't pay the bill. If they ever did complain about me skipping the question - not sure what I would do - I might offer to pay in advance so there is no question of payment).

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am

learning_head wrote:
Perhaps it is required for government healthcare programs but I never give SS number at doctor/dentist office. Last week I registered at a surgery center and they asked for it. They had no need for it. They can ID me from other data. Several years ago I completed a form at a new doc office and they asked for my SS number and spouses SS number. My problem is docs I have gone to for many years have it on file because it was part of my insurance ID at one time. They never purge it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 am

flamesabers wrote:

It's also easier to be forced to unlock electronic devices with your fingerprint than with a password legally. That would also work even if you are drugged or dead. It might not be a top concern for most people, but ICE has been inspecting and even keeping personal electronics that belong to U.S. citizens at the border.

Equifax has now made it free for people to freeze with them through November 21st and will give refunds to people who already paid but they still haven't said anything about the cost of unfreezing or many other details such as whether they will automatically refund or wait for consumers to request it. Their response to this incident is infuriating. It seems that they will end up making money from this and the other credit agencies almost certainly will. The conspiracy theorist in me says that this could have even been a deliberate scheme to increase their long-term profits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... aiver.html

I still think it will get even easier and cheaper to freeze your credit in the near future, that this is just a start.

pochax

Post by pochax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

knpstr wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
I got through to everyone except Experian. I just get a gray page with "Loading..." in the top left corner and it never loads.
same here - except for Experian, they just told me that i put in insufficient info online and i have to send the personal info snail mail to get the freeze. are you kidding me???

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 am

blueman457 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 am
The Equifax hack was the straw the broke the camel's back. I froze my wife's and my credit at the 3 major bureaus and Innovis. It's going to be a pain to unfreeze it when we apply for a mortgage, but that is the life we live in now-a-days.

Anyone freeze their credit?

Blue Man
It's quite easy to unfreeze it when needed.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 am
learning_head wrote:
I always skip any question that asks for either my SSN or my DL and have never had a problem doing so.
(The only reason I understand that they need it is to assist a collection agency in tracking you down if you don't pay the bill. If they ever did complain about me skipping the question - not sure what I would do - I might offer to pay in advance so there is no question of payment).
They may well already have that info (esp SSN) in their records somewhere.

I was behind having several large institutions (one university, one a hospital) stop using SSN's as the ID's.
(I reminded them of what used to be printed on the old SS cards: something like "Not to be used for Identification purposes", as though that was somehow binding :wink: )

So a one of those hospitals, I had forgotten my Patient ID card, quite a few years later, relatively recently.
I needed to confirm "who I was" - gotta love it when they ask info that could be found so easily almost anywhere, but I digress.
I asked if she could use my phone number or home address, as I had a few previous times without incident.
This time, she said, "SSN please?" I said, you don't have that; it's no longer used for "medical insurance ID's", etc.
"Actually, it's right here..." and she showed me the screen.
So much for that nowadays...

I've started inquiring, and if I can get "friendly" with a staffer, almost everyone "admits" that they've found ways to get "those numbers anyway"... regardless of whether we provided it (or refused to), or never applied for credit with them, or whatever.
EVERYONE seems to have all of that information/numbers now.
The horse/personal ID info left the barn quite a while ago.

I remember, some decades ago (circa 1980) when a shop wanted me to provide my SSN to pay by check.
I refused, citing the "Not for ID purposes", which usually just flummoxed people for a moment, and then back to "but we are required to get that number...".
I said I didn't even remember it, and should I return this huge cart of "stuff" or maybe just leave it here at checkout and head to my car...
So she asked for my DL (which had a non-SSN number, one of very few like that back then).
I handed her my DL (hard to claim I don't have it, when I had just said I was heading to my car...).
She copied the number, and then proudly proclaimed, "HA!!! I have your SSN. It's on your drivers license!!!"
Me: Uh, what's that first character?
She: "It's a "5", why?"
Me: Actually, it's the letter "S", and that's not my SSN. Bye bye..." as I walked out the door with my "stuff".

That helped for a while.
No more.
:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 am

learning_head wrote:
Their forms ask for social security. I leave it blank.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:24 am

Rainmaker41 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 am
Yes, a thief could go into the phone store, 'upgrade' to a new phone, and port my number to the new one, turning mine into a brick. They would still also need the login information for accounts...
viewtopic.php?p=3534494#p3534750

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

joe8d wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 pm
Don't have a Credit Card.
Doesn't matter. You should still do it.
The point is to reduce risk of identity theft, and reduce risk of someone else from getting a card (or loan) issued in your name
-calijim- | | For more info, click this