Laying sod... too late in the year?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vaught

Laying sod... too late in the year?

Post by vaught »

I need to lay zoysia in my front yard (pretty well shaded) and some Bermuda (much cheaper) in my back yard.

I've borrowed a buddy's tiller and plan on tearing up my front yard this weekend with the tiller. And laying the sod the following weekend.

I live in the southeast. Any concerns?
reggiesimpson

Re: Laying sod... too late in the year?

Post by reggiesimpson »

I always rely on the local cooperative extension folks for accurate garden questions/answers.
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

Very ambitious! I was told here, by a sod farm here in the southeast, that you can lay those two anytime, but if after first frost, there may be some issues. Anyway, you might want to double check that from your local sod farm. By the way, zoysia is only $100/pallet more here, so, it might be worth the extra cost. Good luck!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would want at least six weeks of nighttime temps staying above 60 deg F.

But do these grasses even grow in the shade?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
vaught

Post by vaught »

Zoysia grows in the shade (front yard).

Putting Bermuda in the back where there is no such shade.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Its not really the time of year I'd do it, but it may turn out OK. Really depends on where in the SE and how cool / cold it gets in late fall and winter. I'd be concerned that a hard freeze in the winter could kill it if it hasn't really been warm enough to establish deep roots.

My next door neighbor had Zoysia put in about a month ago, seems to be doing pretty well. She pretty much killed her St. Augustine (while mine is thriving next door in half shade). Prior to that they let the Bermuda get taken over by Crabgrass. The Zoysia must be hearty if it is surviving over there. :D

Its pretty hard to kill Bermuda. But it survives the best when it has time to develop deep roots. Here in north TX its starts going dormant around November.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

now is a good time to lay it. cooler weather more rain should work.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I Googled "When is the best time to lay sod?" http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/lawn- ... o-lay-sod/

Sod is a hefty investment, so it is critical to prepare the planting area and tend the turf with care. You can lay sod anytime during the growing season, although spring and early autumn are best because cool temperatures combined with occasional rain help sod quickly root.

If you lay sod in summer, water at least once a day for several weeks. Begin by preparing the soil. Remove twigs, stones, and other debris littering the surface. Break up soil clods that are larger than 2 inches in diameter. Fill low areas with good quality topsoil. If the soil is sandy or full of clay, work in organic matter. Take advantage of this opportunity to improve the soil; it's easy to add amendments when the soil is bare. Smooth the soil with a stiff garden rake. Finish preparing the area by compacting it slightly with a sod roller (often available through your local landscape equipment rental outlet).

Lay sod on a cool, overcast day to minimize plant stress. If you lay sod in the heat of summer, moisten the surface of the planting area before putting down the turf. With the help of a few friends, you can get the sod down in a hurry and have fun along the way. Stagger strips in a bricklike pattern, and be sure that all pieces fit tightly together. A utility knife or sharp spade is handy for cutting sod to fit irregular areas.

Once the sod is in place, run the sod roller over it to eliminate air pockets. Water it immediately, then water daily (depending on rainfall), moistening the soil to a depth of 4 inches, until the sod takes root (in 2-3 weeks). Avoid mowing sod until it has firmly rooted. To find out if sod has rooted, gently tug at it. If you feel resistance, roots are anchored in the underlying soil.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

When laying sod remember green side up....ALWAYS.....you can not go wrong by doing this. :oops:
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

OP, Just wondering how that project is going, especially the tilling part, which I am considering doing myself. Thanks!
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

TLC1957 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 am When laying sod remember green side up....ALWAYS.....you can not go wrong by doing this. :oops:
Damn! I was going to post that timeless advice but you beat me to it! :(
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

No, now is the perfect time to sod or seed. Cooler nights, a bit more rain but still a lot of sunny days.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

badbreath wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm No, now is the perfect time to sod or seed. Cooler nights, a bit more rain but still a lot of sunny days.

+1

In the south, this is a great time to do it. I've resodded most of my yard over the last couple years and purposely choose the early Fall. Just water it well for the first month or so