Changing Username on VG website [Vanguard]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BolderBoy

Changing Username on VG website [Vanguard]

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Has anyone done this recently?

Has anyone who was still in the old-style, mutual fund website (not the brokerage website) changed your Username? VG says that you must re-register in order to change your Username. Does the act of re-registering automatically switch you to the brokerage-style of web interface?
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: Changing Username on VG website

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 pm
Has anyone done this recently?

Has anyone who was still in the old-style, mutual fund website (not the brokerage website) changed your Username? VG says that you must re-register in order to change your Username. Does the act of re-registering automatically switch you to the brokerage-style of web interface?
I did that two or three years ago. In today's fast-changing world I don't know if it counts as recently. It was after they began the brokerage switch, but before my change to a brokerage-style account.

What I did, and it worked, was to phone them. The customer service representative asked me some identifying questions, only one of which I thought was any good but maybe they have a strategy to throw pretenders off balance, I dunno; the person reset something or other, I went through the registration process and everything worked properly after that and still does.

I can't prove it, but I think somebody out there really really believed my old username was their property, since three times in a row, within two weeks, my online access was locked because someone tried to log in as me, failed initially, tried to reset my password online, and failed to answer any security questions (I use a technique I won't detail to make them hard to guess).

It miffed me for a bit, but upon further reflection I concluded log in credentials aren't so much a matter of right as they are a matter of confusing attackers. I settled on another, using a technique I won't detail here to make it almost impossible to guess, and certainly not attractive to anybody with a entitled chip on their shoulder.

Upon the resetting the CSR told me my physical address would be locked for 14 days, which is when I began my practice of looking to see what they think my address is every seven.

Master Sun wrote:
Anger your enemy, and confuse him.

I hope my reply is helpful to you in your situation.

PJW

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I would like to change my Vanguard username to something longer than 12 characters.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Silence Dogood wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm
I would like to change my Vanguard username to something longer than 12 characters.
I think they allow 20. And the characters can be jibberish.

PJW - your reply was very helpful. I'll call them to do it.

In 2014 I tried to do in online (was offered that way at that time). Found a bug in their system and reported it. Got to talk to the head of IT when I was at the BH conference a couple of weeks later and mentioned it to him. He said, "So you're the one who found that pesky bug...we are working on it." Guess they decided to go a different route than allowing users to change their username online.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Changing Username on VG website [Vanguard]

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website). I also retitled the thread to help with the abbreviation.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm
Silence Dogood wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm
I think they allow 20. And the characters can be jibberish.
20 characters for passwords only 12 characters for usernames (try typing in as many characters as you can into the username box on Vanguard).

Vanguard is the only website I know of that has a 12 character limit for usernames.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Well that was a slam-dunk cinch. Mission accomplished and you are right, 12 character limit on the username, but it can be most any jibberish you want but must include two letters and two numbers.

Post by 2015 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 pm
Well that was a slam-dunk cinch. Mission accomplished and you are right, 12 character limit on the username, but it can be most any jibberish you want but must include two letters and two numbers.
Did you do it on the website? I looked under "user name and password" under security but saw no place where the user name could be changed.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm

2015 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm
Did you do it on the website? I looked under "user name and password" under security but saw no place where the user name could be changed.
First, you call them and tell them you want to change your username for web access. The rep will turn off your current access (basically unregister you).

Next, go to the login page and underneath the login boxes you select "Sign Up For Access". Then follow the directions. You'll need your account number and they'll ask a challenge question (from your old login info) in addition to you entering your identifying information.

Eventually you'll be offered a username & password creation screen.

The rep stayed on the phone while I did it. Took a little over 5 minutes (I'm slow and use a password generator to generate the username and password.)

Post by 2015 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm
2015 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm
First, you call them and tell them you want to change your username for web access. The rep will turn off your current access (basically unregister you).

Next, go to the login page and underneath the login boxes you select "Sign Up For Access". Then follow the directions. You'll need your account number and they'll ask a challenge question (from your old login info) in addition to you entering your identifying information.

Eventually you'll be offered a username & password creation screen.

The rep stayed on the phone while I did it. Took a little over 5 minutes (I'm slow and use a password generator to generate the username and password.)
Thanks, I'll probably do this at some point down the road. What a week for reviewing the security on one's accounts!