Florida Hurricanes: When and where to go?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tadamsmar

Re: Florida Hurricanes: When and where to go?

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm
OP should have left on Monday when it was clear what was coming. Having lived through 5 hurricanes it is often the case that you're not really sure where it is going or the strength. This one is pretty clear and has been for a while. Now there are gas stations out of fuel and if he/she has gas, the traffic will be horrible.

Assuming one has the means, it would be best to assume the worst and head out on an adventure. In the OPs case, he should have headed toward Atlanta and then done some sight seeing/relaxing/shopping/dining/whatever. There is all kinds of stuff to do in GA, TN, AL, etc that could entertain them for a week or so.

I hope he left, because the chances of him living through bumper to bumper traffic and lots of headaches now is pretty high.
The OP could just go to a local shelter. Broward County where he is has among the best building codes, so they likely have good shelters.

The former director of the NHC pointed out that people on Miami Beach could just walk a mile or two to a shelter outside of the evacuation zone.

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 pm

As the op, we are scheduled to fly out of Ft Lauderdale tomorrow at 5:30 pm. This is only my second hurricane and in retrospect I cut it too close for comfort. We are still leaving 41 hours before the hurricane arrives but flights may stop after 8 pm tomorrow. Plan B if the flight is cancelled is to stay with a cousin 9 miles inland.

I will think about Pascal's Wager during the next hurricane scare. The consequence of an leaving for a hurricane that misses is one unnecessary trip. The consequence for missing the window to leave for a real disaster is major discomfort (no gas, electricity, etc. for weeks) or even physical harm/death.

I am amazed at how many people are still in Florida, including many that can easily afford to leave.

Roosevelt.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm

RooseveltG wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 pm
The consequence of an leaving for a hurricane that misses is one unnecessary trip.
That's why it is nice to combine the trip with a "necessary" trip such as to see a Broadway play.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm
RooseveltG wrote:
The consequence of an leaving for a hurricane that misses is one unnecessary trip.
That's why it is nice to combine the trip with a "necessary" trip such as to see a Broadway play.
... and to attend the Bogleheads conference is the evacuation lasts for a month.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 pm

A Cat 5 is not like the storms you describe . It is foolhardy to ride this out unless you are a moron ,ignoring all the advice given by state and local governments .

Florida ha not encountered a storm like this in modern history . If it misses and you have left you are out time time and bucks. If you stay and it hits you may die , or be in a hellhole with no
food, water or pose for weeks or months .

Good luck . This is no Sandy and no CAT 1 or 2

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 pm
tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 am
Just bought a home built with poured concrete and steel and plan to stay put....in a relatively new house built with newer hurricane codes. I'm not on the immediate coadt.
Do the hurricanes know, understand and will abide by the codes?
Lived through Super Storm Sandy, countless Nor'easters, blizzards, hurricanes in NY, I ain't running nowhere. Get some courage!!

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 pm
A Cat 5 is not like the storms you describe . It is foolhardy to ride this out unless you are a moron ,ignoring all the advice given by state and local governments .

Florida has not encountered a storm like this in modern history . If it misses and you have left you are out time time and bucks. If you stay and it hits you may die , or be in a hellhole with no
food, water or pose for weeks or months .

tennisplyr wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:
Just bought a home built with poured concrete and steel and plan to stay put....in a relatively new house built with newer hurricane codes. I'm not on the immediate coadt.
Lived through Super Storm Sandy, countless Nor'easters, blizzards, hurricanes in NY, I ain't running nowhere. Get some courage!!

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 pm
Jcraz13 wrote:

Florida has not encountered a storm like this in modern history . If it misses and you have left you are out time time and bucks. If you stay and it hits you may die , or be in a hellhole with no
food, water or power for weeks or months .

tennisplyr wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:

Depending on exactly where you are, the official advice seems to be to ride it out. Only the storm surge areas (keys or various coastal areas) or people in substandard housing are being asked to evacuate as far as I know. The recommendation for others seems to be to stay in place.

I still would have gone days ago, but many are staying. And the recommended evacuation for many involves a few miles, not a long trip.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Depending on exactly where you are, the official advice seems to be to ride it out. Only the storm surge areas (keys or various coastal areas) or people in substandard housing are being asked to evacuate as far as I know. The recommendation for others seems to be to stay in place.

I still would have gone days ago, but many are staying. And the recommended evacuation for many involves a few miles, not a long trip.
Yes. As usual, media hype is obscuring factual information. Officials know it would be irresponsible to tell everyone to evacuate out of state or even to the northern part of the state. Specific areas are targeted for evacuation for a reason.

This may be helpful: http://floridadisaster.org/shelters/
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 pm

The swath of this one is a lot larger . Agreed only coastal areas under mandatory evacuation . However , if it is a direct hit on Miami and plows up center of state it will be way worse than. Andrew. Hope those farther inland riding it out are safe .

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am

RooseveltG wrote:

I am amazed at how many people are still in Florida, including many that can easily afford to leave.

Roosevelt.
Last I checked, less than 5% of Floridians are under a mandatory or voluntary evacuation order. And even those don't need to leave the state to conform to the order.

Might exceed 5% with more evacuation orders on the west coast coming into play.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 am

Local shelter if you can get there this AM. Routes out of Florida are jammed and service stations are out of fuel. The VERY LAST thing you want to do is experience a storm like this in your car on the road with no fuel and all hotels full.

In South Florida on a waterfront island here....... storm surge expected to run somewhere in the 3 to 8 foot range. We are on the third floor of an all concrete and cinder block 11 story condo. Older building with all windows changed to latest large object code compliant 7 years ago and shutters for the balcony. Car in a mall parking garage on the third floor a 15 minute walk away. Lots of food and water on hand a large local Publix Grocery store which has an emergency generator to run the whole store is a 20 minute walk away. ... and it is a raised store with it's parking area underneath. While storm surge will be a huge problem, and total devastation for some, it is not expected to impact us other than when we will be able to use the roads again. Wife is scheduled for a CT Scan Thursday which I have a high degree of confidence we can make and I am scheduled for a shot in the eye Monday which I am quite sure will be impossible between road debris, traffic signals down, power lines down, regular street flooding and so forth ... that will probably have to be Friday next week instead assuming they have some form of backup power, I don't imagine them giving eye injections in the parking lot while the CT is at a hospital who I know has emergency power.

I was working the relief effort for Hurricane Andrew as a local government employee when it hit... it was a cleanup disaster with every available piece of equipment that could be rented, contracted or used being employed for nearly 6 months for the clean up and that storm (just) covered a small area of southern Miami while we are talking about the probability of a state wide kill shot here. Anyway.... wife anI are going for out last walk to the grocery for anyway canned food we may have missed as I expect both supply side interruptions to food and fuel deliveries .. and warehouse distributions statewide starting later today as things shut down.

Probably won't be able to post back for awhile.. electric, internet, cell towers and such going to be a major problem when statewide resources can't be directed to help Miami as this will be a statewide nightmare. Hope to see you around folks... anyone thinking Lowes and Home Depot going to do some business the next few quarters between the Texas disaster and Florida.. Georgia and more?
Last edited by midareff on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Scubadiver

Post by David Scubadiver » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:00 am

tadamsmar wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am
RooseveltG wrote:

Roosevelt.
Last I checked, less than 5% of Floridians are under a mandatory or voluntary evacuation order. And even those don't need to leave the state to conform to the order.

Might exceed 5% with more evacuation orders on the west coast coming into play.
Plenty of people have left the state on the off chance that the government's failure to require a mandatory evacuation doesn't mean they won't be killed or greatly inconvenienced by Irma.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

Jcraz13 wrote:

Florida ha not encountered a storm like this in modern history .
Don't Panic!
One of the reasons that we don't get hit with Cat 5's is that they weaken considerably as they make landfall. There have certainly been Cat 5's out there waiting to hit us (as there are now) -- big as the state of Texas, but it didn't turn out to be that way.

What bothers me about our approach to evacuation is that the people that need to leave are hampered -- generally the poorer folks that live in less than adequate dwellings, have transportation issues, pet issues. Hurricane codes are meant to protect us from the madness in which we are now emerged. People that live in well-built, newer homes with generators and hurricane shutters, etc. should stay and allow the people that need to get on the road to do so. I think it is generally the opposite. Current traffic/ evacuation situation is ridiculous. Media hype is at its absolute strongest level possible.

Nobody needs to lose their life over this. What is weak will break and need to have thought put into it so that the next time it doesn't happen. What is strong and well designed will remain. Know what you are dealing with. Nobody can prevent those sort of freak accidents that happen, but you can prevent exposing yourself to high risk!

I've been hit in back to back to back hurricanes (in the panhandle), and it illustrates how the first storm destroys. However, the next storm (even if stronger but on the same course) does almost no damage. There is science to this, and nobody does it better than Florida! My hat is off to those Asplundh drivers and FPL workers.

Mostly we will be without power, and that will suck.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 am

englishgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:30 am
I rode out a category 1 storm, and felt very unsafe when the windows were rattling and barrel tiles were falling off the neighboring structure.
I went through a Florida hurricane in '94 or '95. It was a new house and very well built -- concrete and steel -- as were all the other nearby houses. The house right behind ours was unfinished and there were stacks of uninstalled tiles on its roof! I taped our windows but the wind and rain simply blew the tape off.

A coworker, a Florida native, was nonchalant about the whole thing. Before the storm hit he could see I was worried. He said there was nothing to worry about as the winds were only xxx mph and you didn't need to worry until they reached yyy. I told him that being new to all this I didn't think I could tell the difference between xxx and yyy. He said it was easy to tell -- at xxx you're still wearing clothes!

It was very scary as we waited it out. The tape and plastic simply blew off of the windows almost immediately. Lots of noise. The developer had blocked all the street drains with tar paper and chicken wire to keep out construction debris and that caused a bit of flooding -- right up to our door sills. I was out there with a rake or shovel removing that blockage, which was by then under a foot or so of water, and sure enough, my clothes stayed on!

In the long run I think the only thing we lost was a palm tree in the front yard that was planted by the developer. I think they replaced it as part of the new-house warranty.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 am

It's really hard to know what to do, but I will offer my experience from 30 years on the east coast of Florida FWIW. I have a house that was built to post-Andrew codes about 12 miles from the east coast and have hurricane shutters. Hurricane Frances was a Cat II when it hovered over my house for a LONG time. I had evacuated to Savannah and KNEW I wouldn't have a house when I got back from watching the news. Only a few shingles blew off with NO damage. I must note that there was little power, fuel or food to be found in town when I got back. Quite sobering. Before that Charlie passed by - I was out of town and didn't have the shutters up. Again nothing happened. Last year Matthew passed very near and I only lost a few ridge shingles again with no other damage. In 2004 with the four hurricanes that hit Florida, it was the older homes that took a beating. The media always goes into overhype and the NHC does, in my opinion, lean their storm tracks towards a more devastating path, which I believe is out of a desire to make folks take action. If you have a home built to newer codes and aren't smack in the path or on the coast, chances are you'll be ok. However, the most dangerous part of a hurricane, beside the eye wall, is the northeast quadrant that has the circulation south to north added to the south to north velocity of travel of the storm, which is where the tornadoes form. No matter how your house is built, it will not withstand a tornado. Bottom line is: as soon as there is a threat, make a hotel reservation on the other side of the state so that you have options.

As an addendum, I will add that the general population has no idea how much planning and work goes into preparing for a hurricane. An area that is hit will have power, food, water, and fuel shortages for days or weeks. You may lose your house. You may even lose your entire town. Being in a damaged or even an intact house without power, AC, auto fuel, water, groceries, etc. is not something you want to experience.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm

bertilak wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 am
<snip>
The developer had blocked all the street drains with tar paper and chicken wire to keep out construction debris and that caused a bit of flooding -- right up to our door sills.
Seems that the developer should have had the foresight and common sense to uncover and clear the drains before an impending storm. :oops:

Hope that they were more responsible with the rest of the project.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:38 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm
bertilak wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 am
<snip>
The developer had blocked all the street drains with tar paper and chicken wire to keep out construction debris and that caused a bit of flooding -- right up to our door sills.
Seems that the developer should have had the foresight and common sense to uncover and clear the drains before an impending storm. :oops:
Yeah. I did go to their office and yell at them.
Hope that they were more responsible with the rest of the project.
Mostly.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Rocco Sampler wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 am
Bottom line is: as soon as there is a threat, make a hotel reservation on the other side of the state so that you have options.
As a 40 year resident of Florida, I've been through a few of these but, of course, nothing like Irma appears to be. As for making a reservation on the other side of the state, three days ago I thought all was well here on the West coast as we saw the track aiming toward Miami. As a result I concluded staying in my house was the best solution. Now as I ponder the possibility of the eye passing directly over my house here on the West coast I wonder if maybe you don't have the right idea. Unfortunately, however, this may hit both sides of the state at once.
Gill

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Gill wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm
Rocco Sampler wrote:
Bottom line is: as soon as there is a threat, make a hotel reservation on the other side of the state so that you have options.
As a 40 year resident of Florida, I've been through a few of these but, of course, nothing like Irma appears to be. As for making a reservation on the other side of the state, three days ago I thought all was well here on the West coast as we saw the track aiming toward Miami. As a result I concluded staying in my house was the best solution. Now as I ponder the possibility of the eye passing directly over my house here on the West coast I wonder if maybe you don't have the right idea. Unfortunately, however, this may hit both sides of the state at once.
Gill
Gill, yes this is a very large and fierce storm. I send my best wishes for your safety, and the safety of your family and property there.
Rocco

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Rocco Sampler wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:03 pm
Gill wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm
Rocco Sampler wrote:
Gill
Gill, yes this is a very large and fierce storm. I send my best wishes for your safety, and the safety of your family and property there.
Rocco
Thank you, Rocco. I hope I'm here posting on Monday. :happy
Gill

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Well, this thread escalated quickly. I am staying in place on the coast in NE Florida. I would have left, but over the past few days almost everywhere west and north has turned worse than here, and south is worse still :shock: . But I am on a second floor, so above the water, and in a concrete and stucco structure that will protect me from the wind. I'll be fine, I think. 8-)
There are infinite numbers between two and three, but none of them is 4.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Our 1st time going through something like this. We ended up staying in our home

In retrospect, I would've purchased airline tickets on Monday evening for a Tuesday morning departure if I could redo everything.

Well, live and learn (hopefully)

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am

Looks like the storm has reached us, staying in place and have done all recommended preps. I'm hopeful!!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am
Looks like the storm has reached us, staying in place and have done all recommended preps. I'm hopeful!!
I'm in your neighborhood. Hope we can all smile on Monday or Tuesday but a bit scary now...
Gill

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Gill wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 am
tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am
I'm in your neighborhood. Hope we can all smile on Monday or Tuesday but a bit scary now...
Gill
Hope all continue to remain safe.

Slow Irma down as much as you can! We are up next, we are a bit east of Tampa.

Last night we staged the generator, tested it one more time. Our propane tank was topped off Friday.

This morning we installed the bracing of garage door, then backed van as close as possible to garage door. Unfortunately van doesn't fit in garage. One of DD family's cars is in garage.

Nothing to do but wait, perhaps I'll have another mimosa. Don't want to get scurvy!

BIL in Boca Raton is getting lots of wind. His condo is on second floor, facing west side of Intracoastal Waterway. He has hurricane windows AND hurricane shutters.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am
livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 am
RooseveltG wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 am
I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like it makes sense to sit tight until 2 days out and then either drive/fly away.

Can anyone comment on traffic conditions to Orlando 48 hours before a hurricane is projected to make landfall?
Every single hurricane is different, so I would never go by what people did in the past. So it is possible that 48 hours out and it's a parking lot.
After seeing this map: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/storm-tracker/ , I would button up my resident, have a full tank of gas, and leave three days before it hits. I would bet that highway is going to get very crowded the closer the hurricane is going to arrive. Why wait to the last minute?
It is worth knowing that apparently one could get fired if one did that and missed work.

Florida apparently has no laws protecting employees in this regard in natural disasters.

One would think employers are never so unreasonable. Alas, many employers are that unreasonable.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm
JMacDonald wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am
livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 am
RooseveltG wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 am
I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like it makes sense to sit tight until 2 days out and then either drive/fly away.

Can anyone comment on traffic conditions to Orlando 48 hours before a hurricane is projected to make landfall?
Every single hurricane is different, so I would never go by what people did in the past. So it is possible that 48 hours out and it's a parking lot.
After seeing this map: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/storm-tracker/ , I would button up my resident, have a full tank of gas, and leave three days before it hits. I would bet that highway is going to get very crowded the closer the hurricane is going to arrive. Why wait to the last minute?
It is worth knowing that apparently one could get fired if one did that and missed work.

Florida apparently has no laws protecting employees in this regard in natural disasters.

One would think employers are never so unreasonable. Alas, many employers are that unreasonable.
I went away for Labor day week and actually had to come back into town for the hurricane. Even if employer gives you a break, you don't get to know until the last minute. I'm on the East side middle, and so far so good.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:52 pm

http://www.fox13news.com/news/hurricane ... -waterways

Irma is emptying some of Tampa Bay already!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Godspeed to all my Floridian neighbors! Preps here long done and now the show is starting. Mr. Jim Beam has arrived!
Too soon old, too late smart.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 am

Well, as it turned out Irma was more fizzle than fury by the time she stopped by. Not complaining, mind you.

We lost power about 11:30 last night, still out.

Cranked up the generator for it's first 4 hour run.

Lots of tree debris, thankfully no large limbs strewn everywhere.

Hope everyone else fared as well as we did.

Broken Man 1999

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Our place in The Villages only had a few trees down and flooded golf courses. Thankfully.

Gasdoc

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Just got power back. Boy, that sucked. We got teased at first. Power came back on for 4 hours. Then, I guess, several transformers blew, and it took another three days.

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks for all the opinions. Here is what I learned from Irma as a Florida newbie.

1. Hurricanes are not predictable. We flew out 48 hours before Irma hit and talked to friends that morning who were driving to Tampa to ride out the storm. The hurricane turned west and their strategy backfired.

2. The safest place to go is out of state 3-4 days early.

3. We cut it way too close leaving 48 hours beforehand. We thought this would give us the option of staying put if Irma missed Florida, but it placed us under real pressure. If our flight cancelled, we would barely have enough gasoline to make it to the state line.

4. The situation on the ground deteriorates 3-4 days before the hurricane hits. There were long lines for gas and people waited hours for gas trucks to refuel stations. Water in grocery stores, plywood at the big box home improvement stores, etc. were out of stock early in the week.

5. We lost power for 4 days and our building sustained damage on the first floor. We could have survived by staying put but it would have been very uncomfortable living on tuna fish and protein bars and sleeping with 90 degree nights.

6. Have a hurricane pack list ready because your place may no longer be there after a Cat 5 hurricane. We carried laptops, backup drives, passports, medical ID cards, medications and checkbooks with us. My backpack weighed a ton!

7. Think ahead and gather data while executing your plan. We had one car packed with supplies ready to drive north and west if our flight cancelled. We reserved parking at the airport, but when I called to confirm on the way I was told that parking was filled and closed even though we had a reservation. We were able to park both vehicles in one of the few of remaining spaces in our municipal garage.

8. My new perspective is to apply Pascal's Wager to the decision making. The worst that can happen if you flee early is the unnecessary time and expense of fleeing the state. The worst that can happen if you stay is prolonged hardship, physical injury or death. Leaving early is the safest and smartest thing you can do.

Please feel free to add to this list.

Roosevelt.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks for the update.

You can now respond with your wisdom to the next person who asks about evacuating. :)

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 am

While I agree with everything above, for most non-retired people, it's not feasible. The problem is that during the height of a very active storm season (Aug-Oct), there could be quite a few named storms potentially approaching florida 4-6 days in advance - and luckily most veer off.

Driving to another part of Fla isn't ideal, as everyone has seen. And you can't wait till a couple days before. So someone would have to book air tickets and take at least 3-5 days off or more without any advance notice every time a named storm headed our way. I can't imagine many employers tolerating this more than 1x a season.

4-5 days is an eternity in hurricane forecasting - way too early to have an accurate read. Right now there are two additional storms brewing, just as an example.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

I too learned my lesson :

1) don't live on the coast, plus I can save money this way since in land property typically costs less

2) new construction homes with concrete block

3) hurricane impact glass

4) natural gas community

5) standby home generator that runs off said natural gas

Don't have to leave home, don't have to evacuate, don't have to line up for gas, just sit back and relax

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm
Don't have to leave home, don't have to evacuate, don't have to line up for gas, just sit back and relax
6) Don't live where your concrete block home with hurricane impact glass that is located inland will ever ever flood because your generator might be underwater.

7) Don't forget to prepare with enough food, medicine, and water to not have to go shopping for a few weeks.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:00 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm
darrvao777 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm
6) Don't live where your concrete block home with hurricane impact glass that is located inland will ever ever flood because your generator might be underwater.

7) Don't forget to prepare with enough food, medicine, and water to not have to go shopping for a few weeks.
Excellent points 😀

We are lucky to live inland and elevated enough where we didn't have to worry about storm surge

We were prepared enough with food, medicine, and water

It was just the lack of AC that was a killer afterwards

8) stick with Verizon since everyone else's cell towers seemed to go down in the storm

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:03 pm

^Don't worry, Verizon will be next time. :twisted:

8) Practice living without AC if you are going to stay in place.

So far, we always drove away after a hurricane that created a power loss that was not expected to be fixed for a few days. We are great travelers and happily use the opportunity to be away from home.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:03 pm
^Don't worry, Verizon will be next time. :twisted:

8) Practice living without AC if you are going to stay in place.

So far, we always drove away after a hurricane that created a power loss that was not expected to be fixed for a few days. We are great travelers and happily use the opportunity to be away from home.
Amen to the need for AC.

My "to-do list" is to do the following:
1. Buy either a small window-banger AC, or perhaps a porable unit to use after the storm to at least have one room cool enough to allow all occupants to enjoy a comfortable night of sleep.

2. Add roll-down hurricane shutters for sunroom. Sunroom is a converted screen porch now closed in. With 3M solar guard window film, So much glass would make replacing existing windows cost prohibative.

3. Add roll-down hurricane shutters to all other windows, they would end up double protected as all windows except sunroom have wind-rated windows.

4. Replace roof over sunroom with a metal roof. I had a leak, and I need a new roof there anyway

5. Replace remaining roof also, changing to metal roof.

6. Replace existing 100 gallon propane tank with a 200 gallon tank, buying outright so I can shop propane and avoid tank rental That would alliviate my concern of ruyning out of fuel. I could run generator much longer than I currently allow. More comfort for all.

7. Give trees on lot a really good timming. I love the shade they prvide but I would rather have less branches over my home.
These activities would harden our home substantially. All it takes is a wad of money. Might be a 2 or 3 year timeframe. Or maybe it might be a quicker time frame if Mister Market keeps on it's current tear.