Equifax customer information leak

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Locked
User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:59 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am
Also, do suckers people who signed up when the terms of service still required arbitrary, and said "this is the entire agreement," are they excused from the arbitration requirement or are they still bound by the agreement they signed?
When they go to sue Equifax they will have to prove what they agreed to didn't apply to them. The money changers have billions of dollars and almost as many lawyers. They will crush the little people like grapes.

Kompass
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Kompass » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm

I have a question that may have been answered in one of the many threads, but I cannot find it. Will placing a freeze on ChexSystems impact my ability to purchase brokered or individual CD's?
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

learning_head
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by learning_head » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 pm
azurekep wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Word to the wise...The Chex site asks for your driver's license when implementing a freeze. Don't give it to them. It's not a required field.
Even though it's not noted as required when I tried leaving it out the freeze didn't go through and I was asked to provide it. So I believe it is required. Let's apply some common sense to the situation. Yes, I don't like inputting private info on a web form and hitting send. That said, these agencies already have your info on their computers. As long as you are sending from secure form (not phished) the real danger is not in sending but that the agencies that store your info get hacked. Just like equifax.
I skipped all the nonrequired field including the DL and my freeze worked.
+1. Chexsystems freeze without DL went through online.. will wait for the mail to see if they have any issues with it.

joer1212
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by joer1212 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

The only sensible solution to this crisis that I can think of is for the Federal government to modify all SS numbers, or at least issue extensions to them in order to thwart the criminals. Alternatively, companies can expand the amount of information required to apply for credit, so that the info that was hacked is no longer sufficient to open an account. I don't see how "1 year" of free credit monitoring by Equifax is going to accomplish anything. Everyone who's had their personal info stolen will now have to deal with lifelong ramifications as a result of this hack. It's going to follow them like a sword of Damocles for as long as they're alive. Very disturbing indeed.
Last edited by joer1212 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by alter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm

I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.

joer1212
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by joer1212 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
How is a "class-action" lawsuit going to benefit you?? It's only going to enrich a handful of lawyers, who are going to rake in millions, while millions of people are each going to receive $4. If this isn't a scam, then there's no such thing as a scam.

alter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by alter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm

joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
How is a "class-action" lawsuit going to benefit you?? It's only going to enrich the lawyers, who are going to rake in millions, while millions of people are each going to receive $4. If this isn't a scam, then there's no such thing as a scam.
It will benefit me by making the company that let hackers have my data go bankrupt, with any luck.

joer1212
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by joer1212 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm
joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
How is a "class-action" lawsuit going to benefit you?? It's only going to enrich the lawyers, who are going to rake in millions, while millions of people are each going to receive $4. If this isn't a scam, then there's no such thing as a scam.
It will benefit me by making the company that let hackers have my data go bankrupt, with any luck.
I see your point, but I'd much prefer initiating a personal lawsuit against Equifax. This will not only accomplish my objective of punishing them for their negligence, but will also compensate me for the misery I'm going to have to deal for the rest of my life as a result of this hack.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3126
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm

joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm
joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
How is a "class-action" lawsuit going to benefit you?? It's only going to enrich the lawyers, who are going to rake in millions, while millions of people are each going to receive $4. If this isn't a scam, then there's no such thing as a scam.
It will benefit me by making the company that let hackers have my data go bankrupt, with any luck.
I see your point, but I'd much prefer initiating a personal lawsuit against Equifax. This will not only accomplish my objective of punishing them for their negligence, but will also compensate me for the misery I'm going to have to deal for the rest of my life as a result of this hack.
Regarding what I underlined above - did you ever sign up for a credit card or take out a loan? If so - there was a statement to the effect: "We report Account information in your name, as well as information about you to Consumer Reporting Agencies ...." in the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to. Equifax is one of those credit reporting agencies you agreed to provide all your information to.

new2bogle
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by new2bogle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm

joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm
joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm
alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
How is a "class-action" lawsuit going to benefit you?? It's only going to enrich the lawyers, who are going to rake in millions, while millions of people are each going to receive $4. If this isn't a scam, then there's no such thing as a scam.
It will benefit me by making the company that let hackers have my data go bankrupt, with any luck.
I see your point, but I'd much prefer initiating a personal lawsuit against Equifax. This will not only accomplish my objective of punishing them for their negligence, but will also compensate me for the misery I'm going to have to deal for the rest of my life as a result of this hack.
I wonder how much said compensation will be? Will lawyers take this case on contingency basis?

Almost there
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Arizona USA

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Almost there » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:32 pm

I have never used Equifax thus have no pin number. I used Experian in July 2017 and Transunion July 2016.
Wondering what I should do?

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by triceratop » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 pm

NY AG Schneiderman confirms today (3:23pm EST) that no one will be waiving their rights to join a class action: https://twitter.com/AGSchneiderman/stat ... 6197818369

Equifax Link: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/fre ... questions/

Image
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Almost there
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Arizona USA

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Almost there » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you, triceratops, for the link. I just signed up.
So should I also sign up for a credit freeze with the other 3 credit reporting agencies?

Rainmaker41
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:34 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Rainmaker41 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Update- after Equifax announced credit freezes would be free for 30 days (but didn't specify whether those who already froze would have ours refunded), I called my credit card issuer. They agreed to refund the transaction, and confirmed that the bank won't take the financial hit; they'll claw back the $10 from Equifax.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Pajamas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

joer1212 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm
I see your point, but I'd much prefer initiating a personal lawsuit against Equifax. This will not only accomplish my objective of punishing them for their negligence, but will also compensate me for the misery I'm going to have to deal for the rest of my life as a result of this hack.
You would probably have to prove actual damages to win a personal lawsuit.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Almost there wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Thank you, triceratops, for the link. I just signed up.
So should I also sign up for a credit freeze with the other 3 credit reporting agencies?
Freeze Credit (Links)

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securi ... derProcess

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/j ... IDInfo.jsp

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html‬

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsys ... BIS9nQSEh/

Almost there
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Arizona USA

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Almost there » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Almost there wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 pm
Thank you.
No problem. I did all 5 for me and DW (10 freezes total). Experian and TransUnion charged me $10 per freeze. No charge from the others. So it ended up $40 total (fee amounts subject to state laws). Good luck.

User avatar
zaplunken
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:07 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by zaplunken » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I never heard of Chexsystems, I went to the link provided here. It appears they are not a credit bureau where I can order a credit report but rather a system to freeze my credit report? I read the FAQ but this is still confusing.

Why would I freeze my credit with them? I understand the other 4 but this one I don't.

Thanks.

need403bhelp
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm
I never heard of Chexsystems, I went to the link provided here. It appears they are not a credit bureau where I can order a credit report but rather a system to freeze my credit report? I read the FAQ but this is still confusing.

Why would I freeze my credit with them? I understand the other 4 but this one I don't.

Thanks.
You CAN order a report - I've done it via their 800 number.

They store information re bank accounts and are "pulled" when you open a new checking account. Freezing is free.

With that said, they are not the only company in their field. EWS (Early Warning System?s) is another similar company that is a collaboration between several big banks.

People who churn bank accounts for bonuses know about Chex quite well.

User avatar
zaplunken
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:07 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by zaplunken » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks. I doubt I'll need to open any bank accounts unless I move to another state which I doubt but who knows. It doesn't seem I need to be concerned then especially when you say there are a lot of these. I'm trying to hit all the bases having just found out about Innovis. I have had the same bank accounts for many years, I sure don't churn accounts.

learning_head
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by learning_head » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 pm
Thanks. I doubt I'll need to open any bank accounts unless I move to another state which I doubt but who knows. It doesn't seem I need to be concerned then especially when you say there are a lot of these. I'm trying to hit all the bases having just found out about Innovis. I have had the same bank accounts for many years, I sure don't churn accounts.
This is not about YOU churning or needing to open accounts. Rather, it's about hackers with your stolen identity info opening checking/savings accounts in your name and preventing fraud they might be using it for; such as money laundering (for which you are then investigated) or even potentially transferring money from your real accounts into their fake ones under your name, if they can get to your real ones somehow (charming a customer rep with your stolen identity info into giving them missing pieces for your real accounts?).

Since you don't churn or need bank accounts, this freeze should not negatively affect you but may save you from identity theft.

User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 pm

With all of the freezes on credit keep an eye on insurance premiums, both house and auto. Most states allow insurers to use credit reports to set rates. If they can't check the score they can't give a discount. It's the little things like this that will cost US billions but does not make news.

need403bhelp
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 pm

learning_head wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm
zaplunken wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 pm
Thanks. I doubt I'll need to open any bank accounts unless I move to another state which I doubt but who knows. It doesn't seem I need to be concerned then especially when you say there are a lot of these. I'm trying to hit all the bases having just found out about Innovis. I have had the same bank accounts for many years, I sure don't churn accounts.
This is not about YOU churning or needing to open accounts. Rather, it's about hackers with your stolen identity info opening checking/savings accounts in your name and preventing fraud they might be using it for; such as money laundering (for which you are then investigated) or even potentially transferring money from your real accounts into their fake ones under your name, if they can get to your real ones somehow (charming a customer rep with your stolen identity info into giving them missing pieces for your real accounts?).

Since you don't churn or need bank accounts, this freeze should not negatively affect you but may save you from identity theft.
To add to your point, I will clarify my point about more than one such entity for checking account.

I personally only know of Chex and EWS.

I saw on a list of "credit reporting" agencies from CFPB (don't have link) that there appears to be one more.

EWS is basically used by only a few big banks as far As I understand (it is, as far as I understand, a partnership between them). Ideally, they have their "things together enough" that they might do a bit of extra due diligence when you open a new account with them.

Chex is used by everyone else. That is a lot of banks that a hacker could use to open an account for you. If they get your routing and account number from your real account (you write checks, right? These are printed on every check you write), and then somehow guess or socially wngineer a customer service rep into giving them the test deposit amounts, they could WITHDRAW MONEY FROM YOUR ENTURE LEGITIMATE BANK ACCOUNT VIA ACH and then withdraw it as cash (or use PayPal/Venmo/Square Cash/etc to send it to another fake account).

So def would freeze if you don't churn bank accounts.

Also, if you don't do this and someone opens a bank account in your name, you'll never know (unless you have MyIDCare through OPM - they seem to track chex per my experience).

anoop
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 am

mnaspbh wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:44 pm
At this point, I think everyone should assume that their full personal information is either already circulating on the dark web, or will be very soon. There's just no real incentive for companies to protect the information, and once it's out there, it circulates forever. Monitor your credit reports periodically, keep your credit frozen, keep up with your existing accounts so you can catch attempted fraudulent use, make sure you have two-factor authentication enabled on every account possible, don't ever reuse passwords or password variants across accounts.
Once they have all your information from Equifax, they can...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/b ... rency.html

User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 am

anoop wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 am
Once they have all your information from Equifax, they can...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/b ... rency.html
I use a prepaid cell phone. Who knew I was ahead of the curve. Good luck hackers calling Verizon to port my number. :P

anoop
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 am
I use a prepaid cell phone. Who knew I was ahead of the curve. Good luck hackers calling Verizon to port my number. :P
That's what I wanted to do as well, but I found that you lose key features with a prepaid plan like wifi calling (deal breaker because I have poor cell phone signal at home) and visual voicemail. Do you have those features? If so, who is your provider?

User avatar
SquawkIdent
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone know how to change the "random" PIN number Equifax gives you upon freezing? I can't find anything on their website about it and I am trying to do this online rather then wait on hold with them about this.

Thanks. :sharebeer

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by AAA » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am
Does anyone know how to change the "random" PIN number Equifax gives you upon freezing? I can't find anything on their website about it and I am trying to do this online rather then wait on hold with them about this.
While I think Equifax could have used a better method for generating PIN numbers, I'm not sure how much of a risk is involved with the use a datestamp. How would someone know the date and time that your freeze was established?

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8711
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by nedsaid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 am

I am beginning to think that the most sensitive information just needs to be taken offline. Anyone on a computer and connected to the internet can and probably will be hacked. Maybe we need to go back to paper and locked file cabinets even though there would be a loss of productivity. I have just had it reading about stuff like this, it seems hackers are getting into everything.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am

anoop wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am
That's what I wanted to do as well, but I found that you lose key features...
The cell I use is voice and text only fits in a shirt pocket. If I must have portable Internets I use a tablet.

notmyhand
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by notmyhand » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

I got a response from my senator regarding the fee to freeze (I'm in Pennsylvania). They said Equifax had emailed them and said

“In response to your question, once a consumer enrolls in our identity theft protection and credit file monitoring product via www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, they will have the ability to freeze their Equifax file at no charge. Prior to enrolling, a consumer may also call or go online to freeze their Equifax file at no charge. Again, we are very sorry for the impact this has had on everyone and are doing everything possible to make it right, starting with consumers.”

Recently, Equifax said it would waive all fees until November 21, 2017 for people who want to freeze their Equifax credit files. In addition to making credit freezes free going forward, Equifax says it will give you a refund if you already paid for a PIN code."

chevca
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by chevca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 am

alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
Wow, quite the conspiracy theory there!

So, it wasn't just hackers getting into their system??

User avatar
SquawkIdent
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

AAA wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am
SquawkIdent wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am
Does anyone know how to change the "random" PIN number Equifax gives you upon freezing? I can't find anything on their website about it and I am trying to do this online rather then wait on hold with them about this.
While I think Equifax could have used a better method for generating PIN numbers, I'm not sure how much of a risk is involved with the use a datestamp. How would someone know the date and time that your freeze was established?
I'm sorry to say but given all the public information out there when the breach was, etc., it's a lot easier than you think. I won't say anymore to give any one further clues but take it from me, it's not impossible. :oops:

anoop
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 am

alter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm
I don't ever remember granting Experian access to my SS# and personal info to begin with. Now that corrupt company sold my info and milllions of others to the dark web for millions of dollars worth of bitcoins most likely. I'm definitely joining a class action as soon as I see the option to sign up.

Hope they are sued out of existence for their gross negligence.
The worst that can happen to them is their business deteriorates and they get bought out.

The worst that can happen to us:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technol ... index.html

User avatar
bobsully
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by bobsully » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am

I have actually frozen 8 accounts 4 for my wife the other 4 for myself, and will "thaw" them when needed. I use an "outside" monitoring service which offers a family plan and provides help to resolve issues at a fair price. There are four consumer credit bureaus, including Equifax, Experian, Innovis and Trans Union. The monitoring service I use is IDShield and I use Dashlane for password protection. I keep an eye on things, but its helps to have someone else watching as well. Hope they come up with a better solution soon.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the ... hould-know
Last edited by bobsully on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

URSnshn
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by URSnshn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 am

anoop wrote: ↑ Once they have all your information from Equifax, they can...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/b ... rency.html

I use a prepaid cell phone. Who knew I was ahead of the curve. Good luck hackers calling Verizon to port my number. :P
Why is a prepaid cell phone better than a monthly contract? Does it make any difference? I didn't see anything in the referenced article about this?
Last edited by URSnshn on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.


Mudpuppy
Posts: 5430
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am

AAA wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am
SquawkIdent wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am
Does anyone know how to change the "random" PIN number Equifax gives you upon freezing? I can't find anything on their website about it and I am trying to do this online rather then wait on hold with them about this.
While I think Equifax could have used a better method for generating PIN numbers, I'm not sure how much of a risk is involved with the use a datestamp. How would someone know the date and time that your freeze was established?
The concern is that the unfreeze portion of the Equifax website will allow a guessing attack. Guessing a 10-digit random PIN is quite hard because there are billions of possible combinations. Guessing a 10-digit PIN where you can make the assumption that most people put the freeze in place after the breach, so that the first six numbers are 09xx17 (replace xx with the dates following the Equifax breach), is much, much easier. Now we're talking 09xx17yyyy, which is only on the order of tens of thousands of combinations.

If we knew for sure that Equifax locks the unfreeze website after say three wrong PIN entries, no one would be worried about this. It would still be relatively hard to accurately guess if you only got a few tries at it. The concern is that the unfreeze website doesn't lock after a few guesses, so an attacker could try all of the few thousand possibilities and then unfreeze the report.

I honestly haven't followed up to see if any researchers have looked into this, so I don't know whether this is a legitimate concern or not.

bi0hazard
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by bi0hazard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm

none of these sites are actually able to process online freeze at this time :annoyed

i think it's just credit monitoring for me at this time...
Last edited by bi0hazard on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3126
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Massachusetts Attorney General released her intention to sue Equifax:
http://www.mass.gov/ago/news-and-update ... uifax.html

User avatar
oneleaf
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by oneleaf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Anyone find out if Equifax will refund the freeze fees automatically or do we have to call? News is reporting that all freezes since 9/7 are free and will be refunded, but no word on whether we need to call.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by flamesabers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

bi0hazard wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm
none of these sites are actually able to process online freeze at this time :annoyed

i think it's just credit monitoring for me at this time...
Have you tried placing a fraud alert on your credit report? I was able to do that for mine.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3126
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm
Anyone find out if Equifax will refund the freeze fees automatically or do we have to call? News is reporting that all freezes since 9/7 are free and will be refunded, but no word on whether we need to call.
I didn't see anything about being refunded. In fact - the articles I've read stated that wasn't clear (they just announced freezes would be free for the next 30 days - no word about refunding those that already took place before they started doing it for free).
If they were going to refund automatically they should have done so by now (I haven't seen it happen yet).
I was thinking of disputing the credit card charge but they tell me I need to try to dispute directly with the vendor first and getting through Equifax is a bit of a challenge - might not be worth the time.

davebo
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by davebo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

A couple questions:

1) Has anyone else had issues freezing Experian's credit online? It wouldn't work for me or my wife and asked me to mail in a bunch of stuff (bills, copy of DL, SSN, a check for $10) to the address provided. There is an option to upload the information, but then I'm not sure how they process the payment. Has anyone done this?

2) I have young kids, is it worth it to freeze their credit to make sure nothing happens?

3) My first inclination is to put my PIN numbers in Evernote, but that's probably not a good idea. Or maybe use some shorthand e.g. EF 452857 so it's not so obvious. Or just do it the old fashioned way and try to keep things offline/secure.

anoop
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

davebo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm
3) My first inclination is to put my PIN numbers in Evernote, but that's probably not a good idea. Or maybe use some shorthand e.g. EF 452857 so it's not so obvious. Or just do it the old fashioned way and try to keep things offline/secure.
Don't do this. If your Evernote account is hacked, you could be in trouble. I would keep it wherever it is you keep things like your birth certificate.

[I once fell for a phishing scam (it looked like a dropbox document from someone I knew and so I clicked the link) and only (shortly) after the fact realized I had given away my user ID and password. I scrambled to quickly get in and change the password. Normally such messages go my spam folder but in this case, it was sitting in my inbox.]

Happy2BeFree
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Happy2BeFree » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm
Anyone find out if Equifax will refund the freeze fees automatically or do we have to call? News is reporting that all freezes since 9/7 are free and will be refunded, but no word on whether we need to call.
My Equifax fee was a pending charge for several days, but when I checked yesterday, it was dropped off. You shouldn't have to call. You could also contact your CC company if somehow you get charged. I've read that they will dispute it for you, especially since they're on alert about this breach.

Happy2BeFree
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Happy2BeFree » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 pm

davebo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm
A couple questions:

1) Has anyone else had issues freezing Experian's credit online? It wouldn't work for me or my wife and asked me to mail in a bunch of stuff (bills, copy of DL, SSN, a check for $10) to the address provided. There is an option to upload the information, but then I'm not sure how they process the payment. Has anyone done this?

2) I have young kids, is it worth it to freeze their credit to make sure nothing happens?

3) My first inclination is to put my PIN numbers in Evernote, but that's probably not a good idea. Or maybe use some shorthand e.g. EF 452857 so it's not so obvious. Or just do it the old fashioned way and try to keep things offline/secure.
I tried doing the Experian one twice and got that notice to mail stuff in. I also got pending charges and am waiting for them to drop. The third time I tried freezing my account online, it went through, and that charge is also pending. I expect the other two to drop off, but if they don't, I'll dispute it with my CC company. Others BHs had this happen, and it turned out that the extra pending charges dropped off.

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 1808
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by knpstr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:59 am
nisiprius wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am
Also, do suckers people who signed up when the terms of service still required arbitrary, and said "this is the entire agreement," are they excused from the arbitration requirement or are they still bound by the agreement they signed?
When they go to sue Equifax they will have to prove what they agreed to didn't apply to them. The money changers have billions of dollars and almost as many lawyers. They will crush the little people like grapes.
May as well concede defeat in terms of potential litigation and sign up for the $1,000,000 in fraud protection?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Rupert
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:10 pm

davebo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm
A couple questions:

1) Has anyone else had issues freezing Experian's credit online? It wouldn't work for me or my wife and asked me to mail in a bunch of stuff (bills, copy of DL, SSN, a check for $10) to the address provided. There is an option to upload the information, but then I'm not sure how they process the payment. Has anyone done this?

2) I have young kids, is it worth it to freeze their credit to make sure nothing happens?

3) My first inclination is to put my PIN numbers in Evernote, but that's probably not a good idea. Or maybe use some shorthand e.g. EF 452857 so it's not so obvious. Or just do it the old fashioned way and try to keep things offline/secure.
(1) Someone in one of the half-dozen or so Equifax threads presently running had this same problem with Experian. I wouldn't upload that stuff. I'd send it to them certified, return-receipt, snail mail. (Less likely to be stolen or lost in mail if sent that way).

(2) Only about half of states allow you to freeze a minor's credit file. Technically, minors don't even have credit files. You have to open one to freeze it. See https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/01/the ... ds-credit/

(3) I wouldn't even store the PINs on a computer, let alone online. I keep hard copies, one at home and one in a safe deposit box.

Locked