Experian - credit freeze and credit card hacked

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyIJ

Experian - credit freeze and credit card hacked

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

I went online and froze my credit with the big 3 - Experian being the only one that charged me $10. I did this yesterday. I see the $10 charge to Experian on my charge but was emailed this morning by my bank that someone fraudulently tried to charge my credit card (the one I used) .87. Yes. 87 CENTS - probably as a "test". I had to cancel my card. I don't understand. I tried to contact Experian to be SURE I have the freeze with THEM and not some hacker but was on hold for about an hour then I went online and it appears I do, indeed, have the freeze because the only option now is to lift the freeze. I called my State's Attorney and the office was not very interested. Maybe the only safe way to do this is by certified mail.

davebo

Re: Experian - credit freeze and credit card hacked

Post by davebo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Freezing your credit only makes it impossible for a lender to pull your credit, which would mean they wouldn't grant credit to someone unless they could unfreeze it.

It won't stop fraudulent activity on existing cards

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm
I went online and froze my credit with the big 3 - Experian being the only one that charged me $10. I did this yesterday. I see the $10 charge to Experian on my charge but was emailed this morning by my bank that someone fraudulently tried to charge my credit card (the one I used) .87. Yes. 87 CENTS - probably as a "test". I had to cancel my card. I don't understand. I tried to contact Experian to be SURE I have the freeze with THEM and not some hacker but was on hold for about an hour then I went online and it appears I do, indeed, have the freeze because the only option now is to lift the freeze. I called my State's Attorney and the office was not very interested. Maybe the only safe way to do this is by certified mail.
The "freeze" won't affect any malcontents who somehow got your charge card info and are trying to use it.

It keeps people from opening new accounts in your name, etc., or stealing your personal ID info for other nefarious purposes.

But why do you want to lift the freeze?
And what were you wanting to ask the State AG to do?
As for that charge card, was that single Experian transaction the *only* time you ever (ever!) used that particular card? If not, someone could have gotten the number from a variety of places/methods.

What is it you want to do by Certified Mail?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm
LadyIJ wrote:
The "freeze" won't affect any malcontents who somehow got your charge card info and are trying to use it.

It keeps people from opening new accounts in your name, etc., or stealing your personal ID info for other nefarious purposes.

But why do you want to lift the freeze?
And what were you wanting to ask the State AG to do?
As for that charge card, was that single Experian transaction the *only* time you ever (ever!) used that particular card? If not, someone could have gotten the number from a variety of places/methods.

What is it you want to do by Certified Mail?

RM
Wow, maybe I didn't make myself clear on a number of points:
1. if this breach occurred months and months ago, it seems to be MORE THAN A COINCIDENCE that I gave Experian my credit card and immediately it was compromised. Of course, I know it doesn't protect exisiting cards, but did giving the information to Experian cause another breach? THAT's the concern.
2. No, I don't want to LIFT the freeze, but I wanted t be absolutely sure that I had placed a freeze with Experian. Going in it would not offer me that option - only to lift, not to place, so I think I may have gotten that freeze with Experian placed - I was leery, because in placing freeze I immediately got a fraudulent charge.
3. I would hope, since the State's Attorney is involved in this case and sending out information, that they would at least be interested in connected fraudulent activity - unlike the executives at Equinox who knew months ago and didn't divulge - I would want and hope for someone to care enough to listen and help prevent, but that's not how things are handled anymore.
4. I am saying: send the freeze requests CERTIFIED MAIL to avoid putting your credit card "out there" in cyberspace.
I hope that is a more concise and serves as a warning for other bogleheads. Any advice would be appreciated as well, but for now, I don't know what else to do other than put the freezes on and possibly to LifeLock?

mnaspbh

Post by mnaspbh » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Freezing your credit does not stop identity thieves from stealing your personal ID info for other nefarious purposes. It only stops new accounts from being opened, and only with creditors who check the credit report first. It won't slow down medical/insurance ID fraud, filing fake tax returns, using fake IDs with your information, etc.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm
1. if this breach occurred months and months ago, it seems to be MORE THAN A COINCIDENCE that I gave Experian my credit card and immediately it was compromised. Of course, I know it doesn't protect exisiting cards, but did giving the information to Experian cause another breach? THAT's the concern.
I've had several of my credit cards used fraudulently. In one case I know exactly when and how they got my card info, and in two others I'm quite confident I know. In all three cases the fraud occurred weeks or months after the breaches, not the day after. Card thieves tend to sell blocks of card numbers on the black market. The buyers don't use them all immediately.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm

LadyIJ wrote:

4. I am saying: send the freeze requests CERTIFIED MAIL to avoid putting your credit card "out there" in cyberspace.
I hope that is a more concise and serves as a warning for other bogleheads. Any advice would be appreciated as well, but for now, I don't know what else to do other than put the freezes on and possibly to LifeLock?
Whose CC is not out in Cyberspace these days? Even buying in a brick and mortar store, the CC likely ends up in cyberspace.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
LadyIJ wrote:
I went online and froze my credit with the big 3 - Experian being the only one that charged me $10. I did this yesterday. I see the $10 charge to Experian on my charge but was emailed this morning by my bank that someone fraudulently tried to charge my credit card (the one I used) .87. Yes. 87 CENTS - probably as a "test". I had to cancel my card. I don't understand. I tried to contact Experian to be SURE I have the freeze with THEM and not some hacker but was on hold for about an hour then I went online and it appears I do, indeed, have the freeze because the only option now is to lift the freeze.
Wow, maybe I didn't make myself clear on a number of points:
Who was the recipient of the $0.87 charge? Could it be a separately billed state tax on the $10 you paid to Experian?

The $0.87 charge may be unrelated to your Experian freeze, but rather to the news of the Equifax breach. If your credit card data has been breached and sold in the Dark Web, the owner of your number was trying to test if it's still usable.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm

If there is a fraudulent charge on an existing credit card, your bank can/will handle it. The Attorney General is not going to care about a 87 cent issue, especially one that has existing procedures in place to fix it (issue you a new card, clear the fraudulent charge). Coincidence on the timing perhaps, but all our data is pretty much out there - all over. Fix this issue, keep the freeze (freeze all 4 credit reporting agencies + Chex Systems), protect your passwords and move on. It happens.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

CAsage wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm
If there is a fraudulent charge on an existing credit card, your bank can/will handle it. The Attorney General is not going to care about a 87 cent issue, especially one that has existing procedures in place to fix it (issue you a new card, clear the fraudulent charge). Coincidence on the timing perhaps, but all our data is pretty much out there - all over. Fix this issue, keep the freeze (freeze all 4 credit reporting agencies + Chex Systems), protect your passwords and move on. It happens.
87 cents can be more significant than 87 dollars.

Thirty ears ago an international spy ring was uncovered due to a 75 cent discrepancy between two accounting systems. It's described in the book "The Cuckoo's Egg."

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm
CAsage wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm
87 cents can be more significant than 87 dollars.

Thirty ears ago an international spy ring was uncovered due to a 75 cent discrepancy between two accounting systems. It's described in the book "The Cuckoo's Egg."

Victoria
Thanks for getting it Victoria - it's not the fact that it's 87 cents, but that it happened when I put my info out to Experian to freeze my credit and gave my credit card to Experian via internet. That is what is so disturbing. And that is what should be disturbing to say, the Attorney General, etc. True, there is not much I could do, and as a previous poster said, and I'm doing all I can, and I would like check to see if the 87 cents was affiliated - but boy, that would mean you would have to get through to Experian - good luck!

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for getting it Victoria - it's not the fact that it's 87 cents, but that it happened when I put my info out to Experian to freeze my credit and gave my credit card to Experian via internet. That is what is so disturbing. And that is what should be disturbing to say, the Attorney General, etc. True, there is not much I could do, and as a previous poster said, and I'm doing all I can, and I would like check to see if the 87 cents was affiliated - but boy, that would mean you would have to get through to Experian - good luck!
I'd chalk this up to coincidence. I bet questionable charges happen daily to people around the country on credit cards. Right now the country is also scrambling to freeze their credit.

I'd wager not only was this coincidental, but it happened to others than just you.
:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius