Can't Register With TransUnion

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Small Law Survivor

Can't Register With TransUnion

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm

I tried to set up an account with TransUnion last week, in order to put a credit freeze in. Experian and Equifax were no problem for both my wife and me, but TransUnion frustrated us both.

For me - I couldn't answer some of the financial questions in their qualifying "quiz" - these questions went back many years. I tried to guess the answers based on what I know, and failed :)

My wife - TransUnion said she already had an account, but she has no recollection of setting it up, and we couldn't guess her user name/password.

I guess, after the Equifax fiasco, getting a credit freeze from all three is a good idea (although I'm not even sure about that). Any suggestion on next steps with TranUnion?

Thanks ....

CAsage

Re: Can't Register With TransUnion

Post by CAsage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Call them.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm

CAsage wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm
Call them.
Oh, man, I hate to do that ....

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 pm

The phone call is not that bad. There is an automated phone menu so you just need to key in your ssn etc.

Deadwood

Post by Deadwood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 pm

I had a similar issue and had to call. It was painless

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm
I tried to set up an account with TransUnion last week, in order to put a credit freeze in. Experian and Equifax were no problem for both my wife and me, but TransUnion frustrated us both.

For me - I couldn't answer some of the financial questions in their qualifying "quiz" - these questions went back many years. I tried to guess the answers based on what I know, and failed :)

My wife - TransUnion said she already had an account, but she has no recollection of setting it up, and we couldn't guess her user name/password.

I guess, after the Equifax fiasco, getting a credit freeze from all three is a good idea (although I'm not even sure about that). Any suggestion on next steps with TranUnion?

Thanks ....
I had the same problem with their online system. It referred me to their automated phone system. I failed there too, but it transferred me to a real live person. She took my personal info and asked two oddball questions which I apparently answered correctly. The whole phone process was about 5 minutes. The phone number is 1-888-909-8872.

FWIW, I was able to freeze my wife's credit with Trans Union online without any problems. It must be the screwball questions.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

carolinaman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 am
It must be the screwball questions.
Thanks, I'll call them. The questions are indeed screwball!

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am
carolinaman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 am
It must be the screwball questions.
Thanks, I'll call them. The questions are indeed screwball!
What helps in answering the questions is to look back at your free annual credit reports (if you have them).
I couldn't remember what month/year I opened a credit card with a particular bank - but it was right there on my report.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 am

how to get the free annual credit report?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 am
Q: How do I order my free report?
The three nationwide credit reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.

To order, visit annualcreditreport.com, call 1-877-322-8228. Or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through annualcreditreport.com, 1-877-322-8228 or mailing to Annual Credit Report Request Service.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... it-reports

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:51 am

web site bombs out after taking in all the necessary information; seems like all sites to freeze credit are getting hammered and timing out.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm

after spending parts of two days trying to do the freeze online with Transunion I gave up and called.

it was an automated process to do the freeze. took a total of 3 minutes and 25 seconds according to the timer on the phone.

I had been dreading calling but wish i would have done it to start with.
Focus on what you can control

tfb

Post by tfb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm
Same thing happened to one of us when we tried to set up the freeze earlier this year. We just sent a letter (template found on Clark Howard website) with a check and a copy of the driver's license. We received a confirmation in the mail later.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Post by 2015 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 am

epictetus wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm
after spending parts of two days trying to do the freeze online with Transunion I gave up and called.

it was an automated process to do the freeze. took a total of 3 minutes and 25 seconds according to the timer on the phone.

I had been dreading calling but wish i would have done it to start with.
I spent the better part of two days attempting to place a freeze via the Transunion website, via my Transunion account, and over the phone, all of which were unsuccessful (kept getting disconnected on the phone getting all the way through to entering my cc information). Finally able to get through last night, I was on hold for 45 minutes before getting through to an incredibly bad connection to someone in India. He informed me that the hold I had placed in the middle of the day via my Transunion account (where I got a screen stating there was a problem and I would have to call) did in fact go through. I tried to verify with him that the custom pin I entered was received, but he was unable to verify. Worse, the connection was so bad, I eventually had to end the call after agreeing to assume the pin was most probably received.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

These very difficult to answer questions are getting harder all the time. My wife couldn't complete her SS online registration and finally it kicked her off the system and said she needs to go to the office with ID if she wants to open an online account. We went through the questions together we still can't figure out what went wrong.

One of the TransUnion questions was the credit limit on a certain cc. This is a joint cc so it's the same for me as my wife. When I did mine, I was fairly sure so I didn't bother to check and selected 8800. Registration went through. When I did my wife's, because of the bad luck with her SS registration, I looked it up and the limit was actually 8700. So TransUnion gave me a pass even though I was off by a bit. Not sure what to make of it. So for her, I selected 8700 and the registration failed. But I don't know if that's the reason I give TransUnion some credit though. Instead of making me start over, they asked an addional unrelated question which I got correct and then her registration went through.

I suppose all these pieces of data are useful for identy verification unless the hackers get them. And that brings us back full circle to the issue that initiated everything. :oops:

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:07 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 am
Wait a while! Then try

http://www.annualcreditreport.com

As of a few minutes ago, after you get through entering all of your information, that website reports that "the system at the credit reporting company you are requesting is temporarily unavailable."

IMPORTANT

Be sure you use the right URL. It begins with the word "annual." There are, or used to be, a number of very services that use confusingly similar URLs and then charge you money to get the same reports you could get for free, together with additional services of dubious value.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 pm

IMPORTANT

Be sure you use the right URL. It begins with the word "annual." There are, or used to be, a number of very services that use confusingly similar URLs and then charge you money to get the same reports you could get for free, together with additional services of dubious value.
The biggest issue is that you are giving them your ssn and bdate and address aka handing them the keys to kingdom!