Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AlohaJoe

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Not too long after graduating university and getting a real job I was sent on a business trip. It was my first business trip and so I needed to buy "real" luggage. There's a certain group of people who believe in buying "forever luggage". Things like Briggs & Riley premium luggage that are very expensive but will "last a lifetime". I swallowed all of their arguments hook, line, and sinker.

I probably paid $400 or $500 and that was...many years ago.

Over the years, domestic airlines shrank their carry-on space, so the Briggs & Riley was no longer valid. I began taking international flights and discovered that international flights have different carry-on requirements, so the Briggs & Riley didn't work. Low cost domestic carriers sprang up with lower weight limits, so the Briggs & Riley didn't work.

My $400 "forever" luggage had become obsolete.

I ended up buying an $80 bag that has lasted me over 15 years at this point and been to Europe, South America, Asia, and Oceania.

I'll never buy expensive luggage again.

Post by 123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 pm

I bought some IRA CD's from an internet bank. I transferred funds from my brokerage IRA to the bank because their APY on 5-year IRA CDs was substantially better then brokered CDs and the amount per CD ($100K) was worth the effort. After a few months I realized that I had divided up my IRA into three different account instead of one and, at the time of my passing, it could be extraordinarily difficult for my spouse to deal with the three accounts instead of only one (even with consolidated IRAs we have a lot of other accounts, his and her traditional IRAs, his and her Roth IRAs, inherited IRAs etc). I realized the only way I would be comfortable with the IRA would be take the early withdrawal penalties and consolidate everything again.

It was the first time in 40 years of CD investing that I had ever taken an early withdrawal penalty.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:42 pm
Someone gifted me a pretty cool Groupon experience driving an exotic vehicle. But, it was wayyy out of state, and required something like 12 hours of driving round trip. I waited until it neared expiration, so I went despite being very under the weather. The experience itself lased about 10 minutes. That was a long day! I regretted that gift immensely that day.
That s*cks.

Post by 123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 am

Shares in Webvan (early internet grocery delivery service). Share price dived and never came back, it went bankrupt. I ended up selling it to my broker (and paying the sales trade charge) just to get it off my statement so I didn't have to look at it. You're probably thinking that I at least got a tax loss out of it, sorry, no such luck, I had bought it in an IRA account).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 am

wilson08 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 am
Membership in AARP
Walgreens likes to run a promo in Sept/Oct annually, where you spend like $20 and get a coupon for a year of AARP membership. We've done this for several years. I don't eat there a ton, but 15% off at Denny's and 10% off at Outback isn't too bad.

Regrets -
A 7.1 surround system with a 14" sub & onkyo receiver (never used)
Long-term care insurance
FN five-seven
portable air-conditioner

boomer

Post by boomer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm
House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
:D This made me laugh!

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Once saw the wooden skeletal frame of an ~1865 Victorian recliner in an antique shop and had to have it. Paid way too much. Paid even more to have it restored. When it was finished and delivered, it looked beautiful, but was the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat on. So it became just something to look at and say, "...Pretty." After last move it ended up in the basement so is not seen so doesn't even get that.

On the other hand, found a very nice mission-style (bonded) leather recliner on CL. So all-in-all with the two recliners, may have broken even.

If you're not a subject matter expert, it's better to buy a known turnkey solution, than to attempt to build a solution from pieces-parts. Much less chance for buyers remorse.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:32 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm
House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
Head on over to trouble free pool and learn how to easily maintain it. A good test kit (They'll recommend a tft-100 but a taylor k2006a works just as well), bleach, borax, muratic acid and baking soda is about all you'll need. Testing is so easy and quick. You should be well less than $500/year to maintain. Pumps and filters fail and you can't control that but paying someone $2,040 per year to keep it balanced is nuts. Buy a salt system and reduce your chlorine and maintenance time as well.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

lost 30 pounds

bought new clothes to fit

you can guess the rest

(lost 20 pounds last year and have kept it off. but this time i kept all the fat clothes -- just in case.)

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm

I already posted, but here are a few more....
- Amazon Echo Dot (novelty wore off and doesn't work with our high-end Lennox internet thermostat).
- Permanent steel siding (shoddy install, overpriced and the dutch-lap profile doesn't look good on our house).
- My '13 CR-V EXL (DW got a '17 Touring model, now I want one).
- Every electric guitar I've bought since (stupidly) selling my vintage Les Paul back in the day.

Itster

Post by Itster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

- Some vehicles purchased over the years that were too expensive.
- I wish I hadn't upgraded / expanded our deck. I would really like to go back to the original, small size (except now it would cost more just to remove the expansion). Waste of money for our limited use. Pretty happy with everything else we've done to the house.
- I purchased several audio systems before settling on what I really like based on my needs and tastes. Nothing TOO expensive but enough to hurt.

At least purchase regrets help redefine what it means to "have to have" something.

On the good side -- I've wanted a better mower for years, but I've held off since my current one is still chugging along. Other people on-line have claimed that their mower (of the same model as mine) only lasted 5-6 years, but I've had mine for 14 seasons so far -- and it's just your typical $2k Home Depot model.

ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm

My wife!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

ahmadcpa wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm
My wife!
Purchase? Did you go straight mail order or visit first? :)

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 am

Our house. Going to sell in the Spring. We enjoyed living like college students more except this time around we're not broke. :sharebeer
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 am

The Ubi board game when I was a kid.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am

ahmadcpa wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm
My wife!
I regret having seen your comment.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am

About half of the things I bought from age 0 to age 35.

I wasn't very discriminating.

LookingtogetFIRE'd

Post by LookingtogetFIRE'd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Gym membership. And I still have to pay for it for 6 more months, while I continue to work out at home or outside. :x

mortalsonofmortal

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:20 pm

$200 push mover. I had a knee problem and i messed my knee further by pushing this. Going to get an electric one.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 pm
Not too long after graduating university and getting a real job I was sent on a business trip. It was my first business trip and so I needed to buy "real" luggage. There's a certain group of people who believe in buying "forever luggage". Things like Briggs & Riley premium luggage that are very expensive but will "last a lifetime". I swallowed all of their arguments hook, line, and sinker.

I probably paid $400 or $500 and that was...many years ago.

Over the years, domestic airlines shrank their carry-on space, so the Briggs & Riley was no longer valid. I began taking international flights and discovered that international flights have different carry-on requirements, so the Briggs & Riley didn't work. Low cost domestic carriers sprang up with lower weight limits, so the Briggs & Riley didn't work.

My $400 "forever" luggage had become obsolete.

I ended up buying an $80 bag that has lasted me over 15 years at this point and been to Europe, South America, Asia, and Oceania.

I'll never buy expensive luggage again.
As someone who flies 25+ times a year for business, I also spent the money on the Briggs & Riley carry-on suitcase and I think it was worth the investment. I purposely bought on the "smaller" side in case the requirements are further reduced, and even so, with the built in garment bag, the suitcase has more than enough room for a full week trip and I expect it will last a lot longer than my previous luggage. Plus, the life-time repairs is a nice feature.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am

AllieTB1323 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Our trailer trailer. It is now on consignment at a local dealer. Live and learn.
Wow, I know how hard it is backing up with a trailer, but I can't imagine the difficulty of backing a trailer trailer! I would regret that too.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am

Chuck wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am
AllieTB1323 wrote:
Our trailer trailer. It is now on consignment at a local dealer. Live and learn.
Wow, I know how hard it is backing up with a trailer, but I can't imagine the difficulty of backing a trailer trailer!
Those are illegal in New Jersey.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 pm

A collaterized commodities futures (CCF) fund in 2007

Equities will outgrow inflation if the investor stays the course for the long term.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 pm

heyyou wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 pm
A collaterized commodities futures (CCF) fund in 2007

Equities will outgrow inflation if the investor stays the course for the long term.
The only commodities I like are the ones I can hold, gold and cigars. I don't regret purchasing them.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm

AllieTB1323 wrote:
A trailer trailer?

There was some first-class salesmanship in that deal. Yessir.
Semper Augustus

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm

My Audi Q5 Hybrid - Sport Suspension. I really wanted hybrid and they had made only 300 that year. So I bought without seeing or test driving the sport suspension. I found out sport suspension isn't for me. But kept it for 5 years. About to trade it in for my arriving Model X.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 pm

simple man wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm
Any kitchen device other than a good set of pots, pans and sharp knives. Everything else just adds complexity...
So true. My rule is that I will not buy kitchen gadgets. Period.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 am

Theseus wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm
My Audi Q5 Hybrid - Sport Suspension....About to trade it in for my arriving Model X.
Wow, I know the new iPhone is expensive, but trading in an Audi??

:wink:

Congrats on the Tesla!

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 am

Leyland cypress and Bradford pear trees! They only cost me about $15 each to plant, but now I am paying hundreds of dollars each to have them cut down because they grew so fast and got so large. So, I hope any new homeowners out there do not consider planting these two types of trees.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am

Teague wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm
A Groupon deal for a discount colonoscopy.
:shock:
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

alec

Post by alec » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 am

My house (purchased in May 2005). Luckily, it's a small house, so it didn't really lose that much value in the housing crisis, but we've had to upgrade almost everything in the house (kitchen, bathroom, flooring, painting, roof, HVAC, hot water heater, etc.). Hopefully, it'll be relatively stable until kids are through college. :?

Wish we had rented basically the same house for a few years in the same neighborhood before buying.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:38 am

StevieG72 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am
Teague wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm
A Groupon deal for a discount colonoscopy.
:shock:
TMI...TMI...TMI...TMI!!!!!!!!!
Run, You Clever Boy!

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:02 am

Mingus wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:15 pm
A Lexus.

I bought a Camry, and have happily driven it for the last 15 years.

I've had my Camry only 4 years. But still I must ask, are we the same person?
If you're a jazz musician and can fit all your gear in the Camry, then Yes, we're the same person. 😎
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:23 am

An absolute top of the line Kitchenaid dishwasher.
6 service calls in 2 and 1/2 years and it is still down awaiting installation of its 2nd tub.
My wife and I have never washed as many dishes by hand as we have since buying this dishwasher :x

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:29 am

Buying a house with a swimming pool. It's wonderful during the desert heat of summer, but only looks nice with the light on in the evenings during the remaining 9 months.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Russian mail order bride. A black van with tinted windows now parks itself across the street from my home.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

ttjt_99 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 pm
Russian mail order bride. A black van with tinted windows now parks itself across the street from my home.
So, you've got a bride and self-driving van?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 am

About AARP: while the AARP discount at hotels usually no more than a few bucks, at a D.C. hotel We recently saved about $50 per night with an AARP number ( they did ask for card at check in)

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 am

Pinotage wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 am
Theseus wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm
My Audi Q5 Hybrid - Sport Suspension....About to trade it in for my arriving Model X.
Wow, I know the new iPhone is expensive, but trading in an Audi??

:wink:

Congrats on the Tesla!
Thank you. Tesla is more of an emotional buy for me - and I am blessed enough to be able to afford it without impacting my retirement. Once I test drove it, I had to have it. Moral of the story - don't test drive expensive cars :oops:

On the other I am still on iPhone 6 (not even 6s) and planning to keep it since I think iPhone-X is way to expensive :-). May be playing mind games to convince myself that somehow saving on iPhone-X will make up for the money I spent on tesla :)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

IpadPro
Rarely use it. Cost $$$ loaded.
Senior fingers do better touch typing with a keyboard.
Though DW loves her Ipad.

But I do love the Iphone7+ and the Macbook Pro. :D

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am

StoneyJB wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Classic Mercedes 300E... Great Ride, Wife Loved it but Maintenance costs KILLED me...
MB E350 - have enjoyed the car and the smooth ride, but $1000 every time it's in the shop. Should have bought a Camry.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 am

Food.

Today it was a chocolate shake at lunch.

Years ago I bought a few more electronic gadgets than I needed. Palm pilot comes to mind (I can keep track of my todo lists better than my Franklin Planner!). But I'm now cured of impulse buys other than food. It's nice not needing "more stuff". I now buy movies on my Apple TV and books via kindle app. So I'm not cluttering my house with DVDs or books.

At Bay Area housing prices ($1000/sq ft) it's expensive to have stuff.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 am

We bought our Briggs & Riley carry-ins with wheels from Costco a few years back. They hold enough for a3-5 week trip and have held up well to our 40k or so miles/year. H mostly checks his bag and I carry mine aboard heading out and check it in returning home.

It is our most expensive luggage. We paid $139 per piece plus tax. Most of our prior luggage was under $100 and still works well. No regrets on it.

We used to have big heavy hard-sided samsonite suitcases with 2-wheels. Bought them for our honeymoon and after a few years donated them to goodwill and bought the first of a series of smaller soft-sided nylon bags with wheels.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 am

Bose noise cancellation headphones.

I'm smart enough to shop around and get the best bang for the buck, but went for the name brand instead.

Now it turns out that I almost never use headphones, anyway. And when I do it's the cheap earbuds that come with phones. :oops:

bampf

Post by bampf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 am

skeptical wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got the Sonos playbar, and it does not work very well - sound cuts out for a second or two every once in awhile, the "surround" sound with two player1's does not work that well, and voice lags behind the video. For $800 I would expect more. Sonos blames the TV manufacturers for not implementing Dolby correctly.

Fool me twice ...
You can adjust the audio delay in the app for your sonos to make the audio sync up with your tv. Its pretty easy to do and makes for a much more enjoyable experience...

iceman99

Post by iceman99 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 am

StoneyJB wrote:
Classic Mercedes 300E... Great Ride, Wife Loved it but Maintenance costs KILLED me...
I own a 1989 300TE. I put in about $1000 of maintenance per year (independent mechanic). Great car.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 am

iceman99 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 am
StoneyJB wrote:
I own a 1989 300TE. I put in about $1000 of maintenance per year (independent mechanic). Great car.
I sold mine to a friend some 20 years ago when I moved to a hill that it couldn't deal with in winter. I think he got another 10 years of great use out of it.

I remember taking it for AC service, and being charged an extortionate amount for an "octopus hose." I remarked at the time that I hadn't expected "hose" to be a verb.

skeptical

Post by skeptical » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm

bampf wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 am
skeptical wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got the Sonos playbar, and it does not work very well - sound cuts out for a second or two every once in awhile, the "surround" sound with two player1's does not work that well, and voice lags behind the video. For $800 I would expect more. Sonos blames the TV manufacturers for not implementing Dolby correctly.

Fool me twice ...
You can adjust the audio delay in the app for your sonos to make the audio sync up with your tv. Its pretty easy to do and makes for a much more enjoyable experience...
I have set the delay to zero, there is still a lag :-( I use the optical link.

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

I spent over $10k on top quality large format photography equipment (the wooden accordion camera where you get underneath the dark cloth). I was going to be Ansel Adams, venturing off into the wilderness to capture Nature in all her beauty.

The bag + hiking gear was over 40 lbs, and I nearly died carrying it up 4000ft on a 9hr hike. I was so exhausted when I got to the top of the mountain that I couldn't even focus on the photography! I used it a few more times before selling everything off at a (not too great) discount. The weight and hassle interfered with the enjoyment.

I used the proceeds to buy a hand-made guitar, which I actually use on a regular basis. Now I just use my iPhone for pictures because it's lighter and I always have it with me :oops: !

Come to think of it, I've had a variety of hobbies with which I've lost interest:
Bowling equipment (custom balls, shoes, etc.)
Table tennis equipment (custom paddles)
Rock climbing equipment (harness, shoes)

I now have a very strict rule, where I unsympathetically sell any possessions I haven't used in a year. I also no longer buy music, books or movies because the first two can be obtained for free from the internet/library, and the latter from streaming services.

I really don't spend my money on things anymore. Most of my expenses are for experiences like food, concerts, travel, etc.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm

celia wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm
This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.
Yes, because the goods can always be returned or given to someone who will use them or be put in a white elephant exchange or donated to charity. Either you will get a refund or someone else can benefit from it. However, a missed experience doesn't benefit anyone except the company that didn't have to provide the service to you.

Off hand, I can't think of anything I've regretted purchasing. But I do regret not purchasing a few things. (I've gone back to the store to buy it, and they were all out.)

WoW, how many times have I done this. Last one was after hurricane Irma last week. I went to Home Depot to purchase a portalbe a/c. They had aleast 50 of them. I told myself I will come back Saturday with my truck. 2 days later all gone.