How much should a part-time RN make in Denver?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
soulrider

How much should a part-time RN make in Denver?

Post by soulrider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 am

My spouse is a nurse with 6 years of experience. She is a certified wound ostomy nurse. We recently relocated to Colorado and she is looking for jobs in the Denver area. She applied for a part-time job as a Wound Care nurse (20 hours a week, 0.5 FTE) and they are asking her how much she expects to earn.

I have been trying to look for average salary but have only been able to find national averages and we know the salaries for nurses vary tremendously in different regions.

Anyone has any idea how much is a fair amount to ask for?

Raymond

Re: How much should a part-time RN make in Denver?

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am

Even though the position is part-time, is she eligible for benefits (health insurance, 401k, HSA, etc.)?

Fixed schedule or PRN?

"How much do you expect to earn?"

Hmm, how about.... "One million dollars!" (said in best Dr. Evil voice).

Seriously though, the potential employer doesn't have a published salary or hourly range ?
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

soulrider

Post by soulrider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am

Raymond wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am
Even though the position is part-time, is she eligible for benefits (health insurance, 401k, HSA, etc.)?

Fixed schedule or PRN?

"How much do you expect to earn?"

Hmm, how about.... "One million dollars!" (said in best Dr. Evil voice).

Seriously though, the potential employer doesn't have a published salary or hourly range ?
They stated she would be eligible for "part-time benefits". We are not yet clear what that means..
The scheduled would be 2 eight-hour days a week, then 3 eight-hour days a week, for an average of 20 hours per week.
I didn't find any published salary/hourly range..
We do know they seem to be pretty desperate about filling the position.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am

RN salaries vary greatly. Looks like Colorado is roughly average for the U.S. but that Denver is at the upper end of the range for the state. Experienced BSN-prepared and board certified WOC nurses should be above the average.

Benefits are usually fairly generous for nurses but have been tightened up in recent years and can vary greatly between employers and that affects the pay. The fact that the position is part-time should not make much difference in hourly pay, only in benefits. Usually half-time or more qualifies for full benefits but of course adjusted for being part-time, although health insurance is often provided for half-time RNs at the same cost as for full-time nurses.

I see many RN positions advertised for Denver with salaries, that should give a general ballpark range for the average there as well as an idea of which employers pay more. You can search for "RN salary by state", "RN salary Colorado", and for "wound ostomy RN salary". You can also use "glassdoor" instead of "salary" as that is a popular salary comparison site.

Answering a question like "How much do you expect to earn?" with a dollar figure is a trap. A response along the lines of "I would expect to earn in the high end of the range based on my education, experience, certification, and excellent references and will consider any reasonable offer" is probably best if someone in HR is asking the question. If she has already interviewed with the hiring manager and the other clinical people and they want to hire her, they will be willing to pay on the high end. If the position has been open for a while they are probably being pressured by the doctors and the other WOC nurses to fill it both as soon as possible and with someone highly competent.
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am

Go to salary.com and put in zipcode.

It will at least give you a reasonable range.

TRC

Post by TRC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 am

Here in the north east, most RNs are paid hourly. My wife is a per diem pediatric RN (i.e. No benefits). She has 17 years experience and makes $55/hr. This is before shift differential (she works nights) and if she's a charge nurse on her shift.

soulrider

Post by soulrider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Thank you all for the replies!
Yes I agree that this question is a trap. We will go to the websites you guys mentioned and wait to hear from them.

Thanks again!

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Soulrider.
It seems like your best bet is to contact a few locum tenens / travel firms and find out what the pay is for temporary assignments. Connecting with a few recruiters can provide you with the information you will need.
how locum tenens/travel/ prn works
Pay rate
benefits (if available through firm)
Professional liability coverage
expense reimbursement (mileage, licensure, etc)

If you are willing to travel away from Denver, you will have more options. If you decide to limit your work to part time and within an hour of your home; less options.

I would call AMN Healthcare, Cross Country - or jump on their website and search the jobs.

good luck
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Not sure if this helps but I'm an RN in a HCOL, NOVA. Recent numbers for per diem in our area start at ~$35-$45/hr base with diffs thrown in on top that I am directly aware of. Travel/contract RNs are billed out between $35-$75/hr in the area. All rates listed are for clinical nurses not admin.

Personally I'd expect max dollars based on experience, don't get short changed.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

There is some variation on hospital or outpatient clinic nurse pay.