Milestone Reached - "Quarter Millionaire!"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
hightower

Milestone Reached - "Quarter Millionaire!"

Post by hightower »

I officially crossed over 250k in investments this week (My net worth is actually closer to 370 or more, but that number depends on the value of my home)! I know it's not much compared to many on this forum, but it's a big step for me considering how much debt I've paid off over the last 1-2 years and considering that until I found this site along with WCI, I was not being very careful with my money. I'm glad I wised up at the age of 34 and not any later. Anyway, I still have some student loans to pay off this year, but should be able to grow a lot quicker once that is done. Regardless, it's a huge mental milestone to see $250,000 in total assets in my Vanguard account. Woo hoo!

Just wanted to celebrate a little. Hopefully I'll be posting a 500k milestone before too long! :sharebeer :sharebeer :D
livesoft

Re: Milestone Reached - "Quarter Millionaire!"

Post by livesoft »

Let me add my Woo hoo! to yours. Congrats!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

Great job!!!!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Congrats!

Even the longest journey starts out with a few steps. Stay focused, but don't forget to stop along the way and smell the roses.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Well done!! :D
Watty

Post by Watty »

Congratulations! :sharebeer

I don't know where the official line is but it would be fair to say that you have also gone from the "low six figures" to "mid six figures" when talking about your net worth.
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

Congrats!!!!!!! I'm in a similar situation to you. Late bloomer. 12 years of college dampens the savings rate.

The good news is that once you have good systems in place, each additional $100k becomes substantially easier.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but max out every tax advantaged account available to you. I max out 401a/457/403b/Backdoor Roth/HSA/529. In taxable, buy and hold index funds and occasionally tax loss harvest.
I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
DC3509

Post by DC3509 »

Congrats. I am in the same boat -- didn't really get serious about this until early to mid 30s, but it is nice to see things growing now and great to hear other success stories!
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I'm sorry, but I can only give you 25% of a hearty congratulations! :wink:
Steve
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

And you're going to need way more than that to live it up, without outliving your income. Keep up the great savings! :sharebeer
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Topic Author
hightower

Post by hightower »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!
NateH

Post by NateH »

Congrats! :beer
I was in your spot in ~ 2010. Now, knocking at the door of 6-zeros club.
stay the course, hightower!
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
student

Post by student »

Congratulations. This is substantially more than what I had at 34.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Congrats from Billionaire. Hehe.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

hightower wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am I officially crossed over 250k in investments this week (My net worth is actually closer to 370 or more, but that number depends on the value of my home)! I know it's not much compared to many on this forum, but it's a big step for me considering how much debt I've paid off over the last 1-2 years and considering that until I found this site along with WCI, I was not being very careful with my money. I'm glad I wised up at the age of 34 and not any later. Anyway, I still have some student loans to pay off this year, but should be able to grow a lot quicker once that is done. Regardless, it's a huge mental milestone to see $250,000 in total assets in my Vanguard account. Woo hoo!

Just wanted to celebrate a little. Hopefully I'll be posting a 500k milestone before too long! :sharebeer :sharebeer :D
Congrats! The milestones will start to add up quickly from here. In 2009 when I was 34 I was very similar to you--I had a portfolio of just under $300k and a net worth in the $420k range. Today, eight years later, each of those numbers has increased by more than 4x. Keep it going!
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

When I was your age, I had a negative net worth. Now I'm retired and living large, so feel good about your milestone.

Make sure to smell the roses along the way.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Congrats! I just did a tax return for a couple in their early 30s. I don't think they come even close to your amount. IRA contribution last year was $5000 for a couple.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Keep up the great work!
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady »

Congratulations! Don't forget what got you across this first milestone. Keep at it and you will cross many more quarters in due course.

We will be here to celebrate and cheer you on.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

Very, very, very well done ! Stay the course through thick and thin :sharebeer
Mary
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

I thought maybe you had amassed a million dollars in quarters.... :happy

Seriously though, congratulations. :sharebeer
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Congratulations !
And thanks for sharing your story!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

student wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm Congratulations. This is substantially more than what I had at 34.
Me too! Congratulations!# :beer
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

It is not where you are, nor where you started that matters. It is where you are heading.

Your milestone is indicative of your trajectory: up, up, up!

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

"Quarter Millionaire." I like that! Sounds kind of like a royal title. :happy

Congrats!

(Actually, you have a million quarters!)
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

Congratulations and I think $250K is actually a harder milestone to reach than $1m. Now that you have demonstrated good saving and investing habits $1m should arrive pretty quickly. :sharebeer
Adapt or perish
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Congratulations! $500k will happen happen before you know it. Stay the course through thick and thin.
:sharebeer
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Congrats!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

hightower wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am I officially crossed over 250k in investments this week (My net worth is actually closer to 370 or more, but that number depends on the value of my home)! I know it's not much compared to many on this forum, but it's a big step for me considering how much debt I've paid off over the last 1-2 years and considering that until I found this site along with WCI, I was not being very careful with my money. I'm glad I wised up at the age of 34 and not any later. Anyway, I still have some student loans to pay off this year, but should be able to grow a lot quicker once that is done. Regardless, it's a huge mental milestone to see $250,000 in total assets in my Vanguard account. Woo hoo!

Great job! I'm working toward the 500k in investments mark. Depending on the market that could be just 2 years away or 10 or more. Keep plowing it in.
RhoRho

Post by RhoRho »

Dude5568

Post by Dude5568 »

Congratulations ..!!

In a pleasant coincidence , I myself have reached this milestone of 250 k in Investable assets today ..!!.

Mine are a combination of a brokerage account with Vanguard , me and my wife's 401k accounts with Fidelity plus cash in a Money Market account. I'm about your age also ( turned 32 this past Monday ). Total net worth about 315-320 k. No debt whatsoever. We don't own a home yet and rent.

BTW , check out this report from Phoenix wealth management .
http://phoenixmi.com/wp-content/uploads ... anking.pdf

Having over 250 k in IA makes you richer than over 80 percent ( 98.8 out of 121 million ) of American Households as of 2015. Not bad for someone in their early 30s. :sharebeer
Last edited by Dude5568 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

Yeah! We crossed that earlier this year.

Our NW is closer to $750k due to other investments but we're maxing everything we can at this point that is tax deferred w/o going to taxable.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

GoldenFinch wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:56 am "Quarter Millionaire." I like that! Sounds kind of like a royal title. :happy

Congrats!

(Actually, you have a million quarters!)
I love this! Haha - a million quarters. What a fun way to look at it.

A million pennies - $10,000
A million nickels - $50,000
A million dimes - $100,000
A million quarters - $250,000
A million dollars - $1,000,000
A million $5 bills - $5,000,000
A million $20 bills - $20,000,000
A million $100 bills - $100,000,000

There are always more milestones! :mrgreen: :moneybag

Of course the more important things are the habits and procedures that make achieving them possible.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
wander

Post by wander »

Congrats! Yours is better than when I was at your age.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Congrats and press on!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Shackal

Post by Shackal »

Congrats! Remarkable!

As an aside and purely out of interest - how do you count your IA I case where you have a home that is being temporarily rented? Feels a little strange to count it as investment since at any time, you might want to move back into it and then it would be off that amount.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Congratulations!
:sharebeer
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Outstanding! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
pamplemousse

Post by pamplemousse »

congratulations!!!!
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

Congrats! We hit a similar milestone this week. I was checking our net worth almost every day for a week. Woo Hoo for everyone! :moneybag :D :moneybag
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Congrats. I am 38 right now and hope to be there in two years. Well done doing it relatively early and keep it up!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Congrats! It's never too late. I had basically zero in my early forties, now in my midsixties, happily retired. Keep working hard, saving/investing, living below your means....and never give up!
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀