"Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend this month."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gkaplan

"Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend this month."

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm

The table below lists Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that will distribute quarterly income dividends in September 2017.

Not all mutual funds distribute dividends on a quarterly basis. Some dividends are issued monthly, semiannually, or annually. See our distributions page for a complete list of each fund's distribution frequency.

Each fund’s per-share dividend rate is posted on our distributions page on the fund’s declaration date. Once the distribution amount is posted, you can log on to your account and view dividends for funds you own. The record date, payable date, reinvestment date, and other fund dividend information is also available.
Don’t “buy a dividend”

Thinking about purchasing a stock or mutual fund just to get the dividend? Before you do, consider:

Dividends are announced several days or weeks before they’re paid. It could seem like a good idea to buy shares of a stock or fund just in time to get the dividend payment—but in many cases, it’s not.

If you’re investing through a tax-deferred account, dividends won’t impact your tax situation. But if you’re investing through a taxable account, these dividend payments will lead to additional taxes for you.

Learn more about this

Also, be aware that when a fund pays a distribution, its share price may drop that day, even if the broader market rises. . . .

Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend this month.

(Edited to enclose the extracted article in quotes.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon

oldzey

Re: "Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend this month."

Post by oldzey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks for the heads-up!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 am

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm
Not all mutual funds distribute dividends on a quarterly basis. Some dividends are issued monthly, semiannually, or annually. See our distributions page for a complete list of each fund's distribution frequency.
I've never really thought about it before but...why would a mutual fund pay annually? Looking over Vanguard's list it appears that (I didn't do an exhaustive check, this is just a general impression):

- Bonds funds pay monthly
- Index funds pay quarterly
- Most(?) active funds pay annually

Why do so many of the active funds pay annually when index funds pay quarterly?

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm

The DFA bond funds pay dividends quarterly, just like the DFA stock funds. So, conveniently, I only need to update the DFA bond fund share quantities quarterly on my spreadsheet, compared to monthly for the Vanguard bond funds.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 am
Why do so many of the active funds pay annually when index funds pay quarterly?
Not even all index funds pay quarterly. SWPPX (Schwab's S&P 500 fund) pays once per year.

Also an FYI for those clicking on the links - it doesn't look like Vanguard has added the distribution amount yet, at least to a few of the more popular Boglehead funds.

moshe

Post by moshe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 am

pascalwager wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm
The DFA bond funds pay dividends quarterly, just like the DFA stock funds. So, conveniently, I only need to update the DFA bond fund share quantities quarterly on my spreadsheet, compared to monthly for the Vanguard bond funds.
The mechanism may be different. Most (all?) of the Vanguard Bond Funds accrue the bond interest paid separately and then pay out or reinvest monthly. You can see this daily accrual by looking at your "Balances by Date" option, "Accrued
dividends" column. The bond fund share price is not adjusted for these payments over the course of the month although your portfolio value does reflect these accruals.

DFA may adjust their share price up on a daily basis as interest payments are received and then adjust down when the quarterly interest is paid. If the share price is reduced on the x-dividend date than this is the method they are using. Vanguard bond ETF's work this way.

Best regards,
~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

retire57

Post by retire57 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for the update!

krick

Post by krick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 pm

I wish there was some easy-to-find link to latest version of this page on the Vanguard site every quarter.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:41 pm

krick wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 pm
I wish there was some easy-to-find link to latest version of this page on the Vanguard site every quarter.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:in ... ividend%22 or something like it might work
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 pm

For those who have Merrill Edge, I aware you that there is an "estimated income" page that will show anticipated dividends for your positions. It is broken down quarterly and projects income for the next four quarters.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 pm

krick wrote:
From the home page, "News & Perspectives", then "News & Views". Usually appears about the 11th of end of quarter month.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 am

littlebird wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 pm
krick wrote:
From the home page, "News & Perspectives", then "News & Views". Usually appears about the 11th of end of quarter month.
Here's where I found it:

https://investornews.vanguard/topics/fund-news/
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

fantasytensai

VTSAX September 2017 Dividend date?

Post by fantasytensai » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Does anyone know how to find out when it is? Thanks!

oldzey

Re: VTSAX September 2017 Dividend date?

Post by oldzey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 pm

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Bumping for visibility.

FactualFran

Re: VTSAX September 2017 Dividend date?

Post by FactualFran » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Looking at the Distribution web page for the fund about a minute ago, the most recent distribution of the fund was $0.253 per share with a Record Date of 09/20/2017, a Reinvestment Date of 09/21/2017, a Payable Date of 09/22/2017, and a not yet known Reinvestment Price.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm

fantasytensai - I merged your post into here, which is the on-going discussion.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks for the update. I always wonder(quarterly at least) why Vanguard does not post an easily seen alert that this list is posted on their web site. I always get the notification here on bogleheads.