High Income Skills

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LittlePrince

High Income Skills

Post by LittlePrince » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi bogle heads,

I want get some feed back on your opinions on high income skills.
Whether it's current or timeless skills.

"You don’t pay the plumber for banging on the pipe. You pay him for knowing where to bang."

I see high income skills as a person who is a professional, is one of the best in their industry and has high market value.

Let me know what you guys think about what skills tend to be high income earning.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LittlePrince on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
" With my mind on my money, And my money on my mind"

tibbitts

Re: High Income Skills

Post by tibbitts » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 pm

LittlePrince wrote: Hi boggle heads,
Maybe spelling.

Seriously it doesn't matter what we think; there are readily available statistics that show income for various professions.
LittlePrince wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 pm
I see high income skills as a person who is a professional, is one of the best in their industry and has high market value.
Everyone else sees the same thing.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 am

I imagine it requires some skill to operate on an infant's heart. Probably even the worst pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons are high income. What about being able to find an unfilled niche and willing to take the risks of starting a business? Then you can hire the people with the marketable skills and make more than them. I work with some county employees who would probably be labeled "unskilled" but pick up a bunch of overtime and based on their cars and vacation stories seem to be doing fine (of course could be spending beyond their means). Their skill is working hard if nothing else. I submit that it takes a lot of skill to teach in a low-resource public school. Those teachers aren't high income.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 am

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 pm
Seriously it doesn't matter what we think; there are readily available statistics that show income for various professions.
I think Tibbitts is having a bad day. Seriously, "skills" are not the same as "professions".

I think being able to get along/work with everyone is one of the most important skills you can have. It doesn't matter what your profession is. If people feel comfortable coming to talk to you, that is a plus. Good communication skills is also right up there. But these don't necessarily lead to high income.

So...., how about excelling in something better than anyone else. This could include playing a sport, being musically/theatrically talented, being a great salesperson or lawyer, or even being clever enough to invent (and market) something that people would want (or want many of them).