Have you opened a 2nd "Inquiry Only" Vanguard account?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cmublitz

Have you opened a 2nd "Inquiry Only" Vanguard account?

Post by cmublitz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

Can you open a 2nd Vanguard account for the purposes of linking it as "Inquiry Only" to your real Vanguard account? I would estimate that 95%+ of the time I log in to Vanguard is to only check balances and would prefer the safety of using a read-only type of access. This would also possibly permit an aggregator like Mint to work with less security concern about two-factor authentication.

I did a forum search and saw that some people floated it as an idea, but no one seemed to indicate they actually did it successfully. I wonder if Vanguard would block this type of account creation or try to cull these zombie accounts over time from lack of assets/activity.

Thanks!

David Jay

Re: Have you opened a 2nd "Inquiry Only" Vanguard account?

Post by David Jay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 am

If you are married, have your spouse open an account and then link the family accounts together.

I linked to my spouse's Roth and I can see her balances. No changes can be done, that requires logging into her account.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

celia

Post by celia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't know what an "Inquiry Only" account is. If you mean you would like someone to be able to only view your accounts without the ability to change anything, why not submit the Information-only Access Form:
https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/niaf.pdf?c ... omain=true

This forms require you to give the viewer's SSN to Vanguard, so that may be a problem if you want another website to gather your info.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm

My buddy tells me that when he uses Quicken to interrogate his VG account that VG only allows R/O access at that level.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm
My buddy tells me that when he uses Quicken to interrogate his VG account that VG only allows R/O access at that level.
Quicken does access vanguard accounts even if you have 2 factor authentification. It seems to bypass the 2FA.

Dolcetto

Post by Dolcetto » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:48 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Quicken does access vanguard accounts even if you have 2 factor authentification. It seems to bypass the 2FA.
That's interesting. I use Mint as well, which until recently was owned by the same parent company (Intuit) as Quicken. I wonder if they have some sort of special access on the backend. I've been reluctant to set up 2FA on my Vanguard account because I assumed it would prevent access from Mint.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Dolcetto wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:48 pm
JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
That's interesting. I use Mint as well, which until recently was owned by the same parent company (Intuit) as Quicken. I wonder if they have some sort of special access on the backend. I've been reluctant to set up 2FA on my Vanguard account because I assumed it would prevent access from Mint.
Seems like Quicken works with Vanguard, but Mint doesn't.

viewtopic.php?t=214300

I can only speak for quicken, which does work with Vanguard 2FA. Can't speak for Mint.

I just set up Fidelity 2FA. It seems like it actually works with Quicken too. It says it is updating and hasn't bombed. But I haven't gotten any trx yet so I can't be 100% sure