What do you do in slow travels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
seychellois_lib

Re: What do you do in slow travels?

Post by seychellois_lib » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:58 pm
I love to spend time in Maui. Fruit and cereal, beach time (swim, paddle, surf, read, snorkel, or similar), then lunch/nap, hike in the afternoon, sundowner, fresh food for dinner, read, sleep. Repeat the next day until I go home.
In my previous post I was going to mention doing exactly the same thing in Kauai. I had my boat out there so I could stay on the cheap. It was absolute paradise.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:52 pm

seychellois_lib wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm
WhyNotUs wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:58 pm
I love to spend time in Maui. Fruit and cereal, beach time (swim, paddle, surf, read, snorkel, or similar), then lunch/nap, hike in the afternoon, sundowner, fresh food for dinner, read, sleep. Repeat the next day until I go home.
In my previous post I was going to mention doing exactly the same thing in Kauai. I had my boat out there so I could stay on the cheap. It was absolute paradise.
I guess I cannot stay in resorts to do slow things in Hawaii. I have been there twice, did drive on both Hawaii and Big Islands.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

seychellois_lib wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am
Cook your meals. Shop for food. Daily tasks.
Meet your neighbors.

Excellent advice!! Unexpected adventures often ensue. Good, cold beer sweetens the pot.
So the advice is more like living like a local.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm

I enjoy urban hiking (walking through neighborhoods in a city, to include subway/tram rides between areas where I'm walking). A mobile phone helps with wayfinding, interesting neighborhoods, and points of interest but I walk at a brisk pace so I probably miss some things. Some of my favorites to do this include Manhattan/Brooklyn, DC, San Francisco, Seattle, London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Sydney, Melbourne, Taipei, and Tokyo. Anywhere there are good subways, good sidewalks, and different neighborhoods.

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Smell the roses and listen to the insects.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 pm

stan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm
I enjoy urban hiking (walking through neighborhoods in a city, to include subway/tram rides between areas where I'm walking). A mobile phone helps with wayfinding, interesting neighborhoods, and points of interest but I walk at a brisk pace so I probably miss some things. Some of my favorites to do this include Manhattan/Brooklyn, DC, San Francisco, Seattle, London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Sydney, Melbourne, Taipei, and Tokyo. Anywhere there are good subways, good sidewalks, and different neighborhoods.
I also like to walk around in a city when I am alone in a new place, take pictures using my phone.