Any reason to not transition my vanguard IRA and taxable mutual fund accounts to Brokerage Accounts

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
jjet65

Any reason to not transition my vanguard IRA and taxable mutual fund accounts to Brokerage Accounts

Post by jjet65 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Any reasons not to transition my Vanguard accounts to brokerage account(s). I have a taxable Ira, Roth IRA, and taxable mutual fund account with Vanguard. I am getting notices that I can transition to a Brokerage Account at no charge. Vanguard states it will streamline their processes or bookkeeping, can't recall exactly how they worded it. I read the materials on their site explaining it. It looks to me like there is no drawback and seems if it makes it easier/less costly for Vanguard administering accounts why not go ahead, maybe it will even help keep costs down.
Thanks for any info.
John Swan

Artsdoctor

Re: Any reason to not transition my vanguard IRA and taxable mutual fund accounts to Brokerage Accounts

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 pm

If you don't need a brokerage account, then don't upgrade. Brokerage accounts with their settlement funds are still not streamlined at Vanguard so I wouldn't do it unless they forced you to.