UPS plug problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pshonore

UPS plug problem

Post by pshonore » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am

Is anyone else having trouble with plugs for a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). Seems like the little transformers that are used by modems, routers, external hard drives, etc always "cover up" the adjacent plug socket and 1/2 the sockets can't be used. Is this a good solution (short extension cords)?

https://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-Power-Ext ... nsion+cord

b42

Re: UPS plug problem

Post by b42 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 am

I have the same problem with my UPS where I can't use 1-2 plugs due to the odd shaped transformers. I'm not sure about using an extension cord with a UPS, but I do plan to make sure my next UPS model has adequate space between each plug.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 am

You'll be fine with those extension cords. Just do not plug a surge suppressor into a UPS.

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am

You might prefer the 1 foot ones. The six inch ones with a transformer hanging on it may not hang down enough for the transformer to be resting on something. I would not trust US plugs to hold the full weight of larger wall warts pulling straight out on the blades instead of perpendicular as with a wall outlet.

They also make an "octopus" sort of cord, which is nice for putting many wall wart things into one plug of a UPS.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Most UPS do not have enough outlets. Get splitter extensions so you can plug in more devices.

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29803 ... %2Bac&th=1
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm

UPS designers and manufacturers are aware of the problem of all this little bricks. Many UPS's now have the outlets positions to allow many bricks. Is yours an old UPS?

For those folks considering a purchase, this is one criteria to look at closely.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

smackboy1 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm
Most UPS do not have enough outlets. Get splitter extensions so you can plug in more devices.

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29803 ... %2Bac&th=1
Only use these for low-draw devices like modems, switches, etc. though. There's a reason the number of outlets on a UPS are limited--the manufacturer is trying to prevent users from overloading them.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm
UPS designers and manufacturers are aware of the problem of all this little bricks. Many UPS's now have the outlets positions to allow many bricks. Is yours an old UPS?

For those folks considering a purchase, this is one criteria to look at closely.
The real problem is that the UPS and powerbar manufacturers have made a change by tilting and/or spacing the outlets differently but so have the makers of devices with wall warts/bricks. They too have angled their plugs and so now you still run into collision because they both angled their plugs/outlets.

I solved the problem by using short 1 foot single ended extension cords for the biggest of the wall warts that I had. I would be careful of using the multi-connectors since you are more likely to put too much on the UPS than it may be able to handle and will definitely shorten the amount of time the UPS can power everything.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ordered some 12" extensions today. The UPS is only about 6 months old with 5 UPS adjacent "sockets" and an additional 3 that are surge protected only. I have the system unit, a monitor, a modem, a router, an external drive and a Direct TV network device. No overload.