What money to store outside for disaster?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Raybo

What money to store outside for disaster?

Post by Raybo »

I live in San Francisco and a catastrophic earthquake could occur at any time without warning. I've been through one (1989), but everything remained intact and no real disruptions were caused regarding access to goods and money.

My house has a small space, accessible from the outside, where I keep a few earthquake supplies like water, food, clothing, first aid, etc. This is available should the house, itself, fall down or be inaccessible after the event. I'd like to hide some money out there as well. I see two problems. First, someone could raid this unlocked space and steal my money (locking this space would not only draw attention to it but mean my wife and I would have to carry a key to it). Second, it is damp and I am afraid if I use paper money, it will get moldy and unusable.

So, my question for those who have lived through disasters where you needed to use stashed money, what kind of money did you stash? My brother suggested keeping my change, rolling it, and then stashing those rolls. I could easily roll up a few hundred in quarters and dimes but they would be hard to hide. Also, I wonder if people selling items in such a situation would even be bothered to accept rolled coins?

I could get rolls of dollar coins and store them. This is a more compact solution, though a few hundred Sacajawea's would be hard to conceal. But, would people accept them in desperate times?

Is there a way to store paper money in a damp area for some unforeseeable amount of time safely?
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Pajamas

Re: What money to store outside for disaster?

Post by Pajamas »

Why not just keep some cash in your go-bag? I would think assorted bills ($1, $10, mostly $20s, nothing higher) would be the most efficient as well as useful form. I keep five $20 bills in a book in case I need some cash and ATMs aren't accessible or convenient.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

You can put it in a ziplock bag.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm I live in San Francisco and a catastrophic earthquake could occur at any time without warning. I've been through one (1989), but everything remained intact and no real disruptions were caused regarding access to goods and money.

My house has a small space, accessible from the outside, where I keep a few earthquake supplies like water, food, clothing, first aid, etc. This is available should the house, itself, fall down or be inaccessible after the event. I'd like to hide some money out there as well. I see two problems. First, someone could raid this unlocked space and steal my money (locking this space would not only draw attention to it but mean my wife and I would have to carry a key to it). Second, it is damp and I am afraid if I use paper money, it will get moldy and unusable.

So, my question for those who have lived through disasters where you needed to use stashed money, what kind of money did you stash? My brother suggested keeping my change, rolling it, and then stashing those rolls. I could easily roll up a few hundred in quarters and dimes but they would be hard to hide. Also, I wonder if people selling items in such a situation would even be bothered to accept rolled coins?

I could get rolls of dollar coins and store them. This is a more compact solution, though a few hundred Sacajawea's would be hard to conceal. But, would people accept them in desperate times?

Is there a way to store paper money in a damp area for some unforeseeable amount of time safely?
This is an interesting/important question for any disaster situation, not just earthquake prone areas.
(BTW, what if the house tumbles down and covers the access point for your special little hiding place?)

If it's a lot of physical money, then no matter where it is, one needs to be able to "get there", at a time when one might better be fleeing the area, or be prohibited from entering back into that area.
And that's the same problem with any sort of "emergency supplies, and I'm especially thinking of necessary meds. We can't carry a pack of all of that with us at all times...

I'm not sure what the best solution (or several solutions?) is.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
41Fin

Post by 41Fin »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm Second, it is damp and I am afraid if I use paper money, it will get moldy and unusable.
You could rotate the money every once in a while to keep it fresh. I'm guessing you are already rotating the canned goods and water so you could add this to the list as well. I'm not sure how often you would need to do this to preserve freshness.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Vacuum bag the money.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Why the need to store the money outside? If your house has collapsed to the point where you could not get to your "money" would you not just take your debit / credit card and goto the nearest hotel? Why would the outside building survive your disaster if your main house does not?

So the most likely scenarios here are:

1) You store cash outside for many years and it deflates at the rate CPI plus some
2) Neighborhood kids / junkies discover said cash and steal it and or break into your home looking for more
3) You move / forget where said cash is stashed and someone else gets a treasure

So wrap it plastic, place it in a tin with a note for Red, and place an obsidian rock over it....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
celia

Post by celia »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm Is there a way to store paper money in a damp area for some unforeseeable amount of time safely?
Do you have a garage or storage unit nearby? How about indoors near an entry point (door or window)? If the building was destroyed, the windows would be broken, so it might be easy to reach in, clear some debris, and grab the money package.

I would probably go with a door over the crawl space or whatever you have. It will only look "new" for a few months, but you can scratch it up or throw a handful of dirt at it. Make sure the crawl space has ventilation though, so moisture can get out. But that isn't the only "threat". Animals can probably get in that space.

We also have a go-to backpack in each car. I forgot to add emergency cash to it, so this is a reminder to me. Also store some in your desk at work if you are there for 8 hours a day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have lived through several disasters including tornado destroying all homes across the street and damaging my home, Rita, Ike, Sandy, Harvey, and forest fires while camping.

In none of them did I need any cash. I know that many people will disagree, but I have seen only one good reason to have cash: To pay work crews to tarp up one's home before anybody else gets out of their house.

During the disasters that I have been in, the following happened besides damage to home:

1. No power, so stores in the immediate vicinity were not open. No employees could even get to the stores to run them.

2. Just outside the immediate area, fast food places gave out free food to victims.

3. It was relatively easy to wait in the damaged home and then get out a day or two later. I made sure my vehicle(s) have a decent chance of driving out of the disaster zone. There is always the possibility that they will be destroyed beforehand, but then you and I would ride our bikes out, wouldn't we?

4. No information about the immediate area that one was in. Radio and internet could tell one what happened in general or in nearby cities, but not in the immediate 5 miles. One would want to know for instance if power was still on in certain directions, if stores were open a few miles away, etc.

My disaster supplies are kept in two 32 gal rubbermaid food-grade garbage containers with lids. I also keep my camping gear in another such container. Two are stacked in my bedroom closet and one is in the garage. The containers are filled with potable water pre-hurricane in the showers. Since they have lids, I can still take showers with my grey companion while keeping the water potable.

I think there is a lesson in what has happened with lawlessness on some Caribbean islands. I don't think cash has helped anybody there, but I suppose we shall see. I think when all is said and done, the stories of the people on those islands will tell you what you need to prepare for a disaster.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pmI could easily roll up a few hundred in quarters and dimes but they would be hard to hide.
I would just tuck that much into my wallet into one of the credit card spots and then it is with me all the time. No need to worry about humidity or theft by junkies who discover your unlocked stash. I would also question that any disaster that renders my residence and credit cards obsolete is probably going to render cash obsolete as well. We might be bartering with chickens and bottles of water or such.
10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 pm I have lived through several disasters including tornado destroying all homes across the street and damaging my home, Rita, Ike, Sandy, Harvey, and forest fires while camping.

In none of them did I need any cash. I know that many people will disagree, but I have seen only one good reason to have cash: To pay work crews to tarp up one's home before anybody else gets out of their house.

During the disasters that I have been in, the following happened besides damage to home:

1. No power, so stores in the immediate vicinity were not open. No employees could even get to the stores to run them.

2. Just outside the immediate area, fast food places gave out free food to victims.

3. It was relatively easy to wait in the damaged home and then get out a day or two later. I made sure my vehicle(s) have a decent chance of driving out of the disaster zone. There is always the possibility that they will be destroyed beforehand, but then you and I would ride our bikes out, wouldn't we?

4. No information about the immediate area that one was in. Radio and internet could tell one what happened in general or in nearby cities, but not in the immediate 5 miles. One would want to know for instance if power was still on in certain directions, if stores were open a few miles away, etc.

My disaster supplies are kept in two 32 gal rubbermaid food-grade garbage containers with lids. I also keep my camping gear in another such container. Two are stacked in my bedroom closet and one is in the garage. The containers are filled with potable water pre-hurricane in the showers. Since they have lids, I can still take showers with my grey companion while keeping the water potable.

I think there is a lesson in what has happened with lawlessness on some Caribbean islands. I don't think cash has helped anybody there, but I suppose we shall see. I think when all is said and done, the stories of the people on those islands will tell you what you need to prepare for a disaster.
Good points. I admit to not being much of a "prepper" myself. I don't have a go bag, nor do we have a supply of cash or canned goods or anything, really, that would sustain us for several days in the event of a disaster. I know the reason behind this is that I am a bit spoiled-we do have the occasional hurricane, but I am inland a bit and they are usually quite mild. We did lose power for over a week once, due to an ice storm, but it was pretty localized and we could drive, use credit cards, etc. after a day. I suppose recent events have been a bit of a wake up call to me and this thread confirms that we should do more.
I agree that burying money does not seem practical for a variety of reasons. My guess is that if your house is destroyed, chances are your hiding place is in jeopardy, too. To me having a few hundred dollars on hand seems to be appropriate and not make you a target. I am worried not so much about cash but important papers, etc. Need to come up with a better plan than the one we currently have which is nothing.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Raybo,

I do not have an exact solution but a few thoughts. I am also based in SFO. I keep a few hundreds at home, couple hundred hidden in car. Water bottles in the car as well which we use and replenish. At home we use a water filter, so these bottles are part of disaster plan. I live in an apartment.

My grandfather from a different country keeps some money tightly wrapped in light plastic and stick it tight in the frame that sits on the tires.(I think these disappeared now but an example: http://mclaincycle.com/images/library/z ... 2399-1.jpg) His logic is if his wallet gets mugged, he can still reach home since his bicycle is the ugliest :happy
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have no important papers that cannot be replaced easily in a few weeks. What kinds of important papers are you thinking about? Birth certificates, passports, marriage licenses, tax returns can all be replaced. Health insurance cards are all on file with our physicians and employers.

We are not preppers. We don't have a lot of canned goods stored and no bottled water. There is enough in the pantry to eat rice, beans, some peanut butter, and many other things for a few weeks. We won't starve at all, but we won't be grilling steaks either.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

If storing the cash in your house is considered a risk in a natural disaster I would argue that anywhere you store it the same risk exists.

I also disagree that having sufficient cash in a natural disaster is very prudent. I have heard many testimonials over the years of people needing cash during this or that emergency where credit/debit cards were useless. Emergency is very difficult to plan for and I would not trust a card for my life.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

10YearPlan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pmI am worried not so much about cash but important papers, etc. Need to come up with a better plan than the one we currently have which is nothing.
Scanned and backed up on the cloud. Then all you need is access to a computer someplace else. For really important papers, a lock box in a safe in a brick and mortar bank works great. An EF5 went through a town nearby a handful of years back and the only thing standing was the bank's safe along with all the contents.

[Edited to add that bank lock boxes are great storage vessels for small amounts of cash as well. All you need is your key and an ID.]
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm[Edited to add that bank lock boxes are great storage vessels for small amounts of cash as well. All you need is your key and an ID.]
Plus you need a live bank employee that can help you and the bank has to be open.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm[Edited to add that bank lock boxes are great storage vessels for small amounts of cash as well. All you need is your key and an ID.]
Plus you need a live bank employee that can help you and the bank has to be open.
And you have to be able and willing to head over to the bank, when you might want to be heading out of town... and when "time is of the essence", etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:46 pm
And you have to be able and willing to head over to the bank, when you might want to be heading out of town... and when "time is of the essence", etc.

RM
Which is why I said earlier...
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm I would just tuck that much into my wallet into one of the credit card spots and then it is with me all the time.
celia

Post by celia »

And the electricity needs to be back on.

I foresee needing cash to "trade" things with neighbors, not stores. Stores won't be open if the electricity is out.

lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:52 pm Which is why I said earlier...
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm I would just tuck that much into my wallet into one of the credit card spots and then it is with me all the time.
Have you ever tried stuffing $100 in coins into your wallet? Do you know how heavy that is?
Miakis

Post by Miakis »

You could put $100 cash in a small ziplock and then stash it in a Hiding Can masquerading as a soup can or WD-40 or water bottle. There are a large selection on assorted hiding cans on Amazon (search for "hiding can").

It's still possible that someone will find it - but if they do, then your risk of loss is not huge. And you'll know you have some determined thieves searching around your property.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pm

I foresee needing cash to "trade" things with neighbors, not stores. Stores won't be open if the electricity is out.

Have you ever tried stuffing $100 in coins into your wallet? Do you know how heavy that is?
If he put a roll of coins in his front pocket it would definitely turn some heads.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Five $20 bills weigh about five grams.
celia

Post by celia »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 pm Five $20 bills weigh about five grams.
What does that have to do with carrying coins? Previously, you said:
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 pm
Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pmI could easily roll up a few hundred in quarters and dimes but they would be hard to hide.
I would just tuck that much into my wallet into one of the credit card spots and then it is with me all the time. No need to worry about humidity or theft by junkies who discover your unlocked stash. I would also question that any disaster that renders my residence and credit cards obsolete is probably going to render cash obsolete as well. We might be bartering with chickens and bottles of water or such.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pmI foresee needing cash to "trade" things with neighbors, not stores.
In our neighborhood, I am sure everyone would help everyone else out for free. Or at least people would settle up later.

Has anyone had to pay their neighbor during a disaster? It sounds pathetic.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm
celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pmI foresee needing cash to "trade" things with neighbors, not stores.
In our neighborhood, I am sure everyone would help everyone else out for free. Or at least people would settle up later.

Not this Texan, disaster or NON disaster. :sharebeer
celia

Post by celia »

lws6772 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Not this Texan, disaster or NON disaster. :sharebeer
I have spent at least $1,000 on disaster preparedness for our family (and elderly relatives) so far. When I talk to neighbors about disaster preparedness they tend to just shrug their shoulders. They can afford to buy the long-term stored food, but don't. I will use mine for trading instead or give it to a local school or church that is sheltering people. If a neighbor wants to pay me later, that's fine, too.

But we have public service announcements every so often that remind us to be prepared for earthquakes. The list of things to store includes cash. Even the federal agencies say cash should be part of your emergency kit:
https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

I wonder how many people who sheltered in place during the recent hurricanes had even half of the things shown on the list.
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I already carry an extra $200 in $20 in my wallet.

I have seen what damp does to paper in ziploc bags and don't believe that is a long-term solution.

I don't have a "go" bag and have no intention of creating one.

Several people asked how the house could be uninhabitable but the outside space still accessible. I've never been in a hurricane or tornado, but I have experienced a major earthquake. What is it like? If you are laying on your bed and the quake hits, you can't get off the bed because of all the shaking! Such shaking can collapse structures or leave them standing but not habitable. The house might still be standing but not safe to inhabit due to 1) gas leaks, 2) aftershocks doing more damage to the house, 3) being barred by local authorities. The outside space is connected to the house but not under it. While a fire would take the whole thing down, I expect even if the house collapsed, the outside space would still be accessible. If it is so bad that everything falls down, survival, not money, will be the main issue.

Note that San Francisco is connected to much of the outside world by bridges. While it is hard to conceive of the force required to knock all of them out, should that happen, I figure the roads and airports will be out too. It is possible that there won't be any food to give away for free. I can truly imagine being on my own resources for several days before any organized help arrives.

After the 1989 earthquake, we were told to be able to survive 72 hours on our own. I am trying to keep enough supplies to do that. While it is possible that money won't be of much use in such a situation, it is hard to believe that having some will be no better than having none!

I'm leaning toward the $1 coins.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Watty

Post by Watty »

You might be able to find some nook or cranny in your car to stash some cash.

You might see if there is a friend or relative that lives nearby that will let you keep an emergency box at their house. You could offer to keep a similar box for them at your house.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm (locking this space would not only draw attention to it but mean my wife and I would have to carry a key to it).
https://www.amazon.com/Wordlock-PL-004- ... B000U5N2P0
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pmI have spent at least $1,000 on disaster preparedness for our family (and elderly relatives) so far. When I talk to neighbors about disaster preparedness they tend to just shrug their shoulders. They can afford to buy the long-term stored food, but don't. I will use mine for trading instead or give it to a local school or church that is sheltering people. If a neighbor wants to pay me later, that's fine, too.

But we have public service announcements every so often that remind us to be prepared for earthquakes.

[...]
The list of things to store includes cash. Even the federal agencies say cash should be part of your emergency kit:
https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

I wonder how many people who sheltered in place during the recent hurricanes had even half of the things shown on the list.
I have what's on that web site, but my spouse is a member of the local C.E.R.T. But I wish to point out that "cash" is not on the essentials list, but on the "Consider adding the following items to your emergency supply kit based on your individual needs:" list.

I go wilderness camping for a few weeks at a time, so I'm confident that I can use my kit. Also except for some special items like a tent, I don't think our stuff even comes close to $1,000 and none of it is for disasters only. Can you please mention what you think drove your costs so much higher? A generator perhaps? I don't see a need for "long-term stored food" when rice and beans and oatmeal in the pantry will be fine for a week or more.

Now some of the Houston people in sound bites affected by Harvey said they had no food at home even though Harvey was all in the news for days before it impacted them. I am guessing that these folks don't have any food at home ever and just eat breakfast at McDonalds, lunch at Chick-Fil-A, and dinner at Taco Bell.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm I don't see a need for "long-term stored food" when rice and beans and oatmeal in the pantry will be fine for a week or more.
I live next to a golf course. With my 2-iron I can be eating fresh goose any time I want. Useless club for anything else.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Food for a disaster doesn't have to be very complicated!

A six-pack of canned tuna and a six-pack of canned chicken, both from Costco (both can be eaten out of the can), along with a big jar of peanut butter (I like the extra-crunchy) and a big jar of jelly is a great start. Add a couple of loaves of bread and you are set for plenty of food for a couple for several days. Throw in a few cases of water and you are set. I just don't see the worry about food for Florida's type of disaster. One by-product of losing power is you tend to eat up your leftovers quickly, they don't stick around long.

Prior to losing power I would brew up a couple of gallons of coffee and throw them in the refrigerator for use later on.

So far as cash for a disaster, never had use for it. Now if the disaster was one that I was going to flee from, I would just keep it in my wallet, or put it in my vehicle.

I usually get $200 cash at the beginning of the month for walking around money*. This time I got $500 instead. One reason was to pay for parking at my upcoming college football games.

Neighbors helping neighbors is a beautiful thing to see. Our little subdivision is cleaned up, all the tree debris is neatly stacked at the curb, waiting for pickup. One neighbor had a limb go thru the ceiling of her second story bedroom. It is already permanently patched, the tarp is gone.

Broken Man 1999

* Not the political dispersal of money to voters by campaign workers definition!
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

whomever

Post by whomever »

1)Stick built (i.e. 2x4 etc) houses rarely collapse into rubble in earthquakes. Even when damaged to the point they will need to be torn down (e.g. the cripple walls collapse), I think they are usually intact enough to get in and salvage supplies. And if there is much risk of total collapse, I'd be retrofitting to fix that before anything else (you spend 1/3 of your life asleep in the house, so a total collapse means a 1/3 chance of dieing right up front).

2)We buried a house key in a glass jar with a tight seal in a flower bed, maybe a foot down. Since it's good gardening soil, you could dig down a foot with just fingers in a few minutes. OTOH, a burglar has a big excavation project to find the right place.

3)I've been in stores that didn't have electricity and were selling cash only, so I like the idea of having some cash on hand. Heck - what if a pickpocket or burglar gets all your credit/debit/ATM cards - you're going to be on a cash basis for a few days.

4)Even better is too have enough food/water/etc to scrape by for a couple of weeks on hand. Judging from Irma, stores can sell out pretty quick.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

How about a safe deposit box at your local bank or post office? Probably better chances of making it through a disaster and more secure and not that far away.
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

Raybo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm I could get rolls of dollar coins and store them. This is a more compact solution, though a few hundred Sacajawea's would be hard to conceal. But, would people accept them in desperate times?
I love the fact that dollar coins are so despised that we're left wondering if people might accept this (real) currency in "desperate times". It just sounds so funny.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Years ago, when our kids were little, spouse worried about being stuck on the wrong side of the river (at work) when the Big One hit, with no way to get home with the bridges down. Expected to pay somebody with a boat to get her across. She kept $500 hidden in her car for years. Forgot about it. Several oil changes and service visits later...well, you can guess the rest :D. She doesn't do that anymore.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
celia

Post by celia »

livesoft wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm I go wilderness camping for a few weeks at a time, so I'm confident that I can use my kit. Also except for some special items like a tent, I don't think our stuff even comes close to $1,000 and none of it is for disasters only. Can you please mention what you think drove your costs so much higher? A generator perhaps? I don't see a need for "long-term stored food" when rice and beans and oatmeal in the pantry will be fine for a week or more.
We are not prepared for wilderness camping but for backyard camping. We only have to carry the stuff a few feet. The most expensive item I bought is probably the Kelly Kettle for boiling water (for our instant rice and instant oatmeal). It doesn't need fuel, a power source, batteries, or propane. All you need are some (waterproof) matches and dry twigs or leaves or paper. We got the set with pots and pans for about $150. Then we have about 20 cans of dehydrated/freeze-dried food in #10 cans. Just add hot or cold water to rehydrate. The least expensive can was probably apple slices for $10 while the most expensive was beef & broccoli stir-fry for $44. We don't think we would be able to stand rice and beans and oatmeal alone for more than a week, so we have food from all the food groups. And we want the "cooking" to be simple.

We also have a couple of cases of 100-hr liquid candles that are safe for indoor lighting and a portable toilet for outside, which is especially useful for the elderly. (Livesoft, I told you we weren't going wilderness camping!)

Keep in mind that an earthquake won't knock us out for just 3 days. That's just the estimated time you need to plan to be on your own--no power, no communication, unless the cell phone towers are still usable. We expect our house to do pretty well in an earthquake except for broken windows and possibly coming off the foundation since we reinforced it well with plywood lining the exterior walls under the drywall. This will help resist the sheer forces and keep the framing at right angles.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks. Have you tried to cook anything with your KellyKettle? I have 2 kinds of stoves and would just use my regular kitchen cookware with them.

We have the normal canned tuna, salmon, and chicken in the pantry (no cooking needed), so we won't be eating much rice and beans. My point was that normal grocery store food that one has around is all one needs. It is interesting about the choices you made. I don't even take freeze-dried food wilderness camping because it is too expensive.
celia

Post by celia »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 am Have you tried to cook anything with your KellyKettle?
Not yet, but we've thought about going camping with friends.

The can of stir fry will probably give 10 servings. At $4.40 a serving, that costs less than a restaurant meal (AND we will get outdoor scenery while we eat). This reminds me of once telling one of my kids who liked to go to Starbucks frequently that those were pretty expensive coffees. The reply I got back was that it was actually an inexpensive way to meet up with someone since it costs less than a restaurant.
Last edited by celia on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

investing1012 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:32 pm You can put it in a ziplock bag.
No, at least not a typical consumer ziplock bag. I've used them for years and they are not waterproof for extended periods.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Short term, maybe. But when you're trapped in a location for several days, don't expect free water from your neighbors.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 pm Five $20 bills weigh about five grams.
What does that have to do with carrying coins? Previously, you said:
lthenderson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 pm
It doesn't. I said that much which infers the same amount of money but in a different form, i.e. paper. If I was going to reduce myself to keeping coins for emergencies, it would only make sense to keep those made from solid metals worth their value, i.e. gold. Keeping a coin made of copper, zinc, manganese and nickle that costs $0.10 to manufacturer makes no sense other than (maybe) preventing moisture damage.
celia

Post by celia »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am It doesn't. I said that much which infers the same amount of money but in a different form, i.e. paper. If I was going to reduce myself to keeping coins for emergencies, it would only make sense to keep those made from solid metals worth their value, i.e. gold. Keeping a coin made of copper, zinc, manganese and nickle that costs $0.10 to manufacturer makes no sense other than (maybe) preventing moisture damage.
We're not talking about financial disasters here (ie, stock market crash) but natural disasters (hurricanes, floods, earthquakes). If there are power outages and the banks aren't open, what would you do if you need to spend money (to buy gas or medicine or food)? If a business is open and it can't take credit cards due to the electricity being out, it might only be able to take small bills--no change available. Big bills and precious metals would not allow them to make change for later customers, so they would want small bills or coins.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm
lthenderson wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am It doesn't. I said that much which infers the same amount of money but in a different form, i.e. paper. If I was going to reduce myself to keeping coins for emergencies, it would only make sense to keep those made from solid metals worth their value, i.e. gold. Keeping a coin made of copper, zinc, manganese and nickle that costs $0.10 to manufacturer makes no sense other than (maybe) preventing moisture damage.
We're not talking about financial disasters here (ie, stock market crash) but natural disasters (hurricanes, floods, earthquakes). If there are power outages and the banks aren't open, what would you do if you need to spend money (to buy gas or medicine or food)? If a business is open and it can't take credit cards due to the electricity being out, it might only be able to take small bills--no change available. Big bills and precious metals would not allow them to make change for later customers, so they would want small bills or coins.
Yes Celia - agreed. We pull cash along with other key items before a storm in the area so we can make payments for snow removal, debris cleanup and other costs both at home and with our business. Practically it came in real handy during Sandy when went through a good deal of cash prior to the local banks getting power back up. As well as some of the other items on our pre storm list the cash helped a bunch and we have only added more to the amount pulled prior to a storm.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm
I get this feeling that you kind of jumped into a middle of this discussion without reading all the prior posts. I'm spending time defending things you are pulling out of context to make some sort of point of which I have yet to determine. As I stated earlier (in the context of the discussion), I keep a few hundred in small bills on me at all times. It is disaster proof unless the disaster gets me too and I don't have to worry about vandals discovering my stash or even figuring out how I am going to reach that stash. I wouldn't carry coins as they are heavy and not worth enough to justify carrying. IF I were forced to carry coins, it certainly wouldn't be the denominations minted today that are made for pennies of their denominational value. I would want something like gold that has value as a precious metal. I wouldn't even be talking about coins had you not originally misread my initial post and made a comment on how many I could carry in my wallet.
goingup

Post by goingup »

It sounds like you're wedded to the idea of keeping money outside. I just can't envision a scenario where I need to keep money outside, though I've lived in CA and am now in WA. I've got several hundred in various denominations stored with passports and birth certs and I'm counting on being able to get to them.

Is cash even particularly useful to people in TX or FL right now? If you didn't have what you needed before the disaster can you even buy it now?
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

goingup wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 pm Is cash even particularly useful to people in TX or FL right now? If you didn't have what you needed before the disaster can you even buy it now?
Agreed. I suggest you start making a Disaster Supplies Kit [Bug out bag]. Here's some ideas https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I stored quite some cash in my safe for this purpose. The burglars took all a few weeks ago.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

goingup wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 pm Is cash even particularly useful to people in TX or FL right now? If you didn't have what you needed before the disaster can you even buy it now?
At least in Harris County, TX and surroundings where only about 15% of homes flooded which means that about 85% of homes and businesses did not flood and power was not really lost, almost all the stores were open the day the sunshine came back. Because of the nature of the area, flooded homes were almost always within half a mile of stores that were open. Kids went back to school this week. The places with wind damage (Rockport, Port Aransas, and surroundings) I don't know about, but if you have a vehicle, one could get to Corpus Christi in less than 30 minutes and buy anything and everything. But cash is not useful since one can use a credit or debit card everywhere.

The story in FL seems to be quite a bit different for many folks.