Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Earl Lemongrab

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm

squirm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Honestly, at this point what difference does it make? Ten years from now your sensitive data will still be available and still for sale...20 years from now, same thing....30years from now, same....
so who cares about 30 days of free account freezes...or 90 days, or 120 days....
Again, freezes are forever (or until you lift them). That is designed to prevent any new credit using your identity. The 30 days is how long you can get one initiated for free. It's not any absolute fix, but every bit helps.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 pm
LadyIJ wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm
ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm
squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.
So what to do? We must come up with ways.
I'm not sure there is any magic bullet for this all because of the info that was hacked - name, address, birthday, ss# - does expire or change (unless you move, of course).
What I have done is freeze my credit at the big 4 + Chexsystems for bank accounts. I have also enabled alerts at my credit cards, banks and brokerages for any transactions. A few banks and brokerages don't offer the alert and I intend to close those accounts.
Sadly, even with the freezes and alerts preventing any new debt or bank accounts in my name it is far from foolproof. All it takes is a slick crook who charms a customer service agent from any of my banks or brokerages or even my cell phone provider in order to gain control of my account(s). After all - the crook will have all of my personal info. It will only take a single inexperienced or weak customer service rep to allow access to the crook and then I'm screwed.

we're all probably screwed. I went online and froze my credit a the big 3 - Experian being the only one that charged me $10. I did this yesterday. I see the $10 charge to Experian on my charge but was emailed this morning by my bank that someone fraudulently tried to charge my credit card (the one I used) .87. I had to cancel my card and wait for new one to come. I don't understand. I tried to contact Experian to be SURE I have the freeze with THEM and not some hacker but was on hold for about an hour then I went online and it appears I do, indeed, have the freeze because the only option is to lift the freeze. I will post separately as a warning to others. Maybe the only safe way to do this is by certified mail.

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm

It's been almost a month since I used ChexSystems freeze. The confirmation said I would receive a pin and instructions within 3 business days. That has not happened. Anybody else not get theirs yet?

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm

meebers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm
It's been almost a month since I used ChexSystems freeze. The confirmation said I would receive a pin and instructions within 3 business days. That has not happened. Anybody else not get theirs yet?
A lot of people have been experiencing a delay for their ChexSystems PIN. See this thread for more information:

viewtopic.php?t=228146

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm
meebers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm
A lot of people have been experiencing a delay for their ChexSystems PIN. See this thread for more information:

viewtopic.php?t=228146
Tx for that. My search today for "chexsystems" did not turn up this thread. :sharebeer

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 am

Maybe Equifax's web site is overloaded today, Saturday, Oct. 14th, 2017.

I went to AnnualCreditReport.com this morning and requested credit reports from all 3 agencies.

The first was Equifax. After answering their identify questions, I got a page saying my report was not available online, and I would have to request it manually using US Mail, with 2 forms of identity. I will mail out the letter later today. I got the other 2 agencies reports online fine.

This weekend I plan of freezing my credit reports at all 3 agencies............hopefully the equifax site works and it is free of cost today.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

cas

Post by cas » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 am

DaleMaley wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 am

I went to AnnualCreditReport.com this morning and requested credit reports from all 3 agencies.

The first was Equifax. After answering their identify questions, I got a page saying my report was not available online, and I would have to request it manually using US Mail, with 2 forms of identity. I will mail out the letter later today. I got the other 2 agencies reports online fine.
If you would rather not mail the sensitive documents to Equifax, there is a annualcreditreport.com phone method that seems to work to get the credit reports, even when the online method results in that "you must mail in stuff" notice. See this thread: "Problems obtaining a free annual Equifax credit report online" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227651#p3567277

walletless

Post by walletless » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:46 am

DaleMaley wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 am

This weekend I plan of freezing my credit reports at all 3 agencies............hopefully the equifax site works and it is free of cost today.
If you have adblock installed, disable it & try again. I've had issues similar to this with Equifax in the past.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:24 am

I just froze my credit reports at all 3 agencies this morning. There was no charge from the Equifax freeze, the other two sites were $10 per person.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am

[/quote]
If you have adblock installed, disable it & try again. I've had issues similar to this with Equifax in the past.
[/quote]

I removed Adblock from Chrome, and I still could not get the Equifax report online.

shoppingchicken

Post by shoppingchicken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 am

RE: Credit Freeze (not for reports)
Calling the credit agencies is so much easier than doing it online. Online kept giving me messages that they weren't able to complete the process which was just a waste of my time. I called the agencies and it was simple and quick. Much better than online. All automated and no need to wait or speak to a help desk personnel.

Equifax — 1-800-685-1111 ** Says it's free to all till January 2018
Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872