Classic Car for Teen Driver(?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Re: Classic Car for Teen Driver(?)

Post by JBTX » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 am

When i was16- 17 I had a hand me down 73 Pontiac grand ville. 455 cubic " engine. I was generally a good student and mostly responsible kid. However I would often drive it over 100mph and leave black patches of rubber in the school parking lot. I would fish tail it on dirt roads and one time almost got me and five others killed in a car chase.

Lots of HP and lots of teenage testosterone are not always a good mix. YMMV. (Actually it was pretty consistent at 9-10mpg).

wrongfunds

Re: A modern muscle car for a 17 year old (?)

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am

Zac russo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am
Guys I need advise I'm turning 17 in 2019 and I live in New Jersey so I don't get my license until I'm 17. And I want a modern muscle car but my dad doesn't want me to get a V8 so should I get the Dodge Challenger SXT or should I get the Dodge Challenger GT. And how much do you think those two models of Dodge Challengers would cost in 2019
Ask for an insurance quote. If it is is less than your monthly payment on the car, sign up for the insurance because you are not going to get anything cheaper than that!

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

daytona084 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 am

Diceman,
The notion that old cars are "tanks" and new cars are flimsy is a myth.
+1 . Here is another good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

A 2015 Nissan Tsuru (Basically a 1992 Sentra) vs 2016 Sentra.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 pm

btenny wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 pm
I think letting a young person buy a older car is a great way to augment and expand their mechanical knowledge. Yes the car will probably cost more than a used economy car. Yes he will spend lots of money on this old car making it like he likes and fixing the broken stuff but he will learn a lot. Will he become a mechanical engineer?
This is basically me. I bought myself a 30yr old classic Mustang when I was 16. I worked on it a bunch and I'm now a mechanical engineer. I never got in a wreck, but I came close to rear ending a few people. Those old drum brakes aren't nearly as good as modern anti-lock disk brakes.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

I echo others that an old muscle car is a very dangerous choice for a new driver. The funny thing is, something like a 1970 Nova SS is rather slow by modern standards (in reasonably stock form). A v6 Camry would handily beat one in a race. The problem is that the brakes and handling will be absolutely atrocious, and a new driver simply isn't going to be equipped to handle the combination of fairly high power without the ability to stop and turn. Even worse, when he does stuff it into a pole, he could die or be seriously injured from an accident he would have walked away from in a more modern vehicle.

All that being said, I think it's awesome that your son is mechanically inclined and into cars. Don't force him into a used corolla if he is willing to turn a wrench. Does he have any interest in "modern classic" type cars? I'd gravitate towards cars that were renowned for handling rather than power. Something like an Acura Integra GSR (or Type R if you can find one) would be a fun first car, and MUCH safer than a 70s muscle car- it will have ABS, airbags, crumple zones, and modern 3-point harnesses- which are the low hanging fruit of vehicle safety features. Front wheel (or all wheel drive) is also safer for a new driver as FWD cars are much less likely to overtseer (resulting in spins in the hands of a novice driver). Understeer tends to be easier to react to for less skilled drivers. Other FWD car-guy options include a Mazdaspeed Protege (don't let him touch the boost), a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (basically a non-turbo WRX), or Alfa Romeo 164 (make sure he has alternative transportation available if he buys an Alfa :mrgreen: ).

alfaspider

Re: A modern muscle car for a 17 year old (?)

Post by alfaspider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Zac russo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am
Guys I need advise I'm turning 17 in 2019 and I live in New Jersey so I don't get my license until I'm 17. And I want a modern muscle car but my dad doesn't want me to get a V8 so should I get the Dodge Challenger SXT or should I get the Dodge Challenger GT. And how much do you think those two models of Dodge Challengers would cost in 2019
If you are stuck with a v6 (or 4) and interested in performance, I would advise a Camaro instead. The Challengers are overweight whales. Without a big motor, they only look like a high performance vehicle. A v6 Camaro with the 1LE package is a fantastic performance package for the money.

investing1012

Post by investing1012 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Motor Vehicle Accidents are the number 1 cause of death for individuals between 1-40 years old. Given the improved safety features I would never let my child drive a car greater than 10 years old.