Feeling guilty for buying a new iPad pro

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investing1012

Feeling guilty for buying a new iPad pro

Post by investing1012 »

My iPad stalls every so often and I'mthinking of buying an iPad Pro. Do the bogleheads feel guilty on these types of splurges?
DrGoogle2017

Re: Feeling guilty for buying a new iPad pro

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Short answer is no. I have a few iPads, none have problem yet. But I went ahead and bought another one for the better camera. Maybe I'm not a full blown BH.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I find these "guilty" posts about purchases funny. Most Bogleheads can afford what they are purchasing.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Nah. I wouldn't feel guilty about these types of splurges. As long as you are still living way below your means.

A splurge like this if you are up to your neck in credit card debt or are living paycheck to paycheck is a completely different beast though.
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:15 pm Short answer is no. I have a few iPads, none have problem yet. But I went ahead and bought another one for the better camera. Maybe I'm not a full blown BH.
Wouldn't necessarily say "not a full blown BH". "Not a full blown Mustachian"? Yes, agree.
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

I sometimes feel this way.

Just bought a ~$1300 bicycle this past weekend and felt regret until I thought about the benefits to my health and well being. Life is a balance.
Last edited by Accrual on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

No. I wouldn't, as long as you are hitting your savings goals.

I have an iPad Air 2, and it has a small crack in the screen. I really like the looks of the iPad Pro 10.5", and I will undoubtedly buy one in the next year.

In the past, I had an iPad 2. I later gave it to my wife and bought an iPad (3rd generation). It was eventually broken, and I got the Air 2. (The original iPad 2 still gets light use around the house.) So we're hardly buying a new one every year.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

investing1012 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm My iPad stalls every so often and I'mthinking of buying an iPad Pro. Do the bogleheads feel guilty on these types of splurges?
Absolutely not.
I spend on technology when I want to...no guilt at all.
Some people spend money on cigarettes, booze, entertainment.
Technology is my thing....no apologies for it.
I bought my wife and myself each a new 10.5 iPad Pro...great piece of tech.
We also each have a MBP, iPhone 6sPlus, and iWatches...love them all.
If ya want it and can afford it....BUY IT.
Life is too short.
Don
dbr

Post by dbr »

Then again maybe you don't need it. My old iPAD had become double obsolete and I ended up replacing it with an iPAD mini. The reduction in size and weight I am carrying around is a breath of fresh air. Also it is light enough it actually works as well as the Kindle for reading. Of course, my real computer time is spent on a desktop so it is a question of use. I like a 21" screen, mouse, and real keyboard. I also have an iPhone but my go-to phone for actually having a phone in my pocket is an $89 flip phone that is small, light, easy to pocket, easy to handle and it actually works to make phone calls better than anything else.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

If I get a lot of use out of something, I don't mind the expense at all.

If I buy something that ends up relatively unused, I may feel a little regret about it.

Do you think you'll use it a lot?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Here is a current thread of all the "regret" full purchases.

viewtopic.php?p=3528084#p3528084

If you use it and can afford it, buy it. Lots of people get use from an iPad Pro or iPad.

I have a nice Samsung Galaxy Tab S that I use all the time. The iPad pro is pretty huge, so portability might be a reason I would go to an iPad Air 2 or whatever the current model is.
Toons

Post by Toons »

None whatsoever feeling guilty.
We saved and invested diligently for decades..so that,
we would have 'options" in our retirement years.
On that note,,I just traded in my 2015 Crv with 12,000 miles for a
2017 Civic.
Would I have done this between the ages fo 30-60.No.
66 now, the clock is ticking ,,,If we want something that we would enjoy,,,we get it.
I don't consider whether it is rational or not.... :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm The iPad pro is pretty huge, so portability might be a reason I would go to an iPad Air 2 or whatever the current model is.
That's the original iPad Pro 12.9", and it is indeed ginormous. Last year Apple introduced a 9.7" iPad Pro that is infinitesimally smaller than the Air/Air 2. This year they introduced a 10.5" Pro that is within a few milimeters of the 9.7" in width/height, and the same thickness.
fiskalisch gesinnt

Post by fiskalisch gesinnt »

Don't feel guilty. You don't sound like the type to spend frivolously. I have an early version that is locking up more and more, I think I may be doing damage to my body as my blood pressure increases every time it freezes.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I got a "scolding" from an old friend last year about taking frugality too far. He's a Horatio Alger story, rags to riches, hard work, frugality, member of the "4 comma" club. He noticed I was still using the cheapest cell phones issued by the cell phone company and asked why I did not have the latest Iphone. I said it was too expensive. . . . . you can easily imagine the conversation.

As a result I bought an Iphone 7 plus at the beginning of the year. Then later 2 loaded Ipads for my wife and I. Then later "upgraded" my 7 year Macbook Pro to the latest MacBook Pro.
Love all of it.

After the lst step it gets easier and more and more enjoyable.
Celebrating retirement.
Finally.

Action is complete thought.
Guilt free. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

No, but after my $650 1st gen iPad went through forced obsolescence, I bought a $100 Kindle.

My mom wanted an iPad, I bought her a refurbished iPad Air 2 from the Apple store and saved 20%.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toons wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:47 pm None whatsoever feeling guilty.
2017 Civic.
66 now, the clock is ticking ,,,If we want something that we would enjoy,,,we get it.
+1
Well said.
When we're facing the "exit sign" at the end of the hallway of life and the "enter" sign is only a distant memory, it's time to enjoy the fruits of our lifelong labors regardless of rationality.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 pm
Toons wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:47 pm None whatsoever feeling guilty.
2017 Civic.
+1
Well said.
When we're facing the "exit sign" at the end of the hallway of life and the "enter" sign is only a distant memory, it's time to enjoy the fruits of our lifelong labors regardless of rationality.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 pm I got a "scolding" from an old friend last year about taking frugality too far. He's a Horatio Alger story, rags to riches, hard work, frugality, member of the "4 comma" club. He noticed I was still using the cheapest cell phones issued by the cell phone company and asked why I did not have the latest Iphone. I said it was too expensive. . . . . you can easily imagine the conversation.

As a result I bought an Iphone 7 plus at the beginning of the year. Then later 2 loaded Ipads for my wife and I. Then later "upgraded" my 7 year Macbook Pro to the latest MacBook Pro.
Love all of it.

Celebrating retirement.
Finally.

He's got a trillion dollars?
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

I traded in my iPad2 for the original iPad Pro. As others have said, it is large and a bit on the heavy side (relative to other tablets). I rationalized the expense with aging eyesight, and I can easily afford it. I can now more easily read stuff with the Pro. The main feature for the Pro is the drawing pen. I'm not an artist nor designer so never got the pen. The pen is something I'd feel guilty for buying.

Tomorrow you can ask the same question about the iPhone X, rumored to be $1k. :shock:
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

Apple has a product launch Tuesday September 12th 10AM Pacific time.

I have not seen any rumors about any iPad products in that launch but, with the launch so close, I suggest you wait 24 hours before deciding on a purchase.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

investing1012 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm My iPad stalls every so often and I'mthinking of buying an iPad Pro. Do the bogleheads feel guilty on these types of splurges?

Can you pay for it by end of month. If yes, go get it.
Topic Author
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

Ok I'm convinced I'll buy one :) though I have no where near the money I need to retire. I'll wait till the product launch though
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Do you need it? Would you actually use it? I had an original iPad and the first iPad Air, both bought at huge discounts. While it's certainly a very cool device, after a while I realized that for my purposes and needs, an iPad was a redundant, minimally useful product. So I sold it. If I legitimately found it useful, I wouldn't feel guilty about buying one.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 pm I got a "scolding" from an old friend last year about taking frugality too far. He's a Horatio Alger story, rags to riches, hard work, frugality, member of the "4 comma" club. He noticed I was still using the cheapest cell phones issued by the cell phone company and asked why I did not have the latest Iphone. I said it was too expensive. . . . . you can easily imagine the conversation.

Love all of it.

Celebrating retirement.
Finally.

He's got a trillion dollars?
oops :oops:
9 figures.
Stratospheric to me.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I don't get it. Your friend is the one with *lots* of money but you got scolding *from him" because you are not spending enough?
Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave »

Last March I bought the cheap $329 iPad when it was on sale for $299. This is my third iPad. I gave my previous one to a neighbor who has been nice to me and it gave them great pleasure to accept my 5 year old iPad. So not only did I upgrade my hardware some, but I made a friend happier. I don't regret doing either for one microsecond.

Dave
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.
book lover

Post by book lover »

Bought the original iPad pro with the larger screen which has been hijacked by my wife ( actually I did not like the larger screen) and ended up buying the newest version with the 10.5 inch screen which I have very much enjoyed.
Topic Author
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

I think the best solution is to buy a 1 year old model so you can get it at a steep discount compared to the newest model.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten on here (or anywhere):

Don't buy it for two weeks. If, in two weeks, you still want it and can afford it, get it. If not, don't.

I've done this with a lot of things. Recently, an iPhone SE, for example, was something I used this strategy for. Sometimes I still want the item, sometimes I don't.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I have a daughter who sends me these kinds of guilty-spending-should-I texts and it drives me nuts. I usually respond with "Knock it off!" Of course I don't feel guilty saying that to my daughter, but I would feel kind of bad saying that to the OP. So my advice is to go ahead and buy IPad Pro. It's fine. You can afford it. Enjoy!