Lowes vs Home Depot

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Lowes vs Home Depot

Post by squirm »

I do a ton of projects around the house and the rental when I have spare time. Over the years I usually spent more time at Home Depot. Even though the stores seemed more of a mess I could generally find things I need (except for plumbing parts, what a disaster).

We live out in the boonies so going to these stores involves a traveling a good distance. However I've been visiting Lowes a lot more often because of their website. I think their website is much better presented then HD. Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.

Which store is your go to for home and yard projects ?
KT785

Re: Lowes vs Home Depot

Post by KT785 »

Locally, I prefer Home Depot even though Lowe's is slightly closer to my house. In my experience, our Home Depot has a much larger staff and you can't seemingly go down an aisle without being offered assistance--I have had to search high-and-low to find an associate at Lowe's. The staff at Home Depot also often seem more knowledgable and willing to help.

Another differentiator is that when I've had to buy a major appliance, Home Depot carries the brand I want and usually has it in stock . . . their price match policy has also been great.

That all being said, I do tend to prefer Lowe's for lawn and garden supplies as they maintain a fresher supply of grass seed and keep their Milorganite (my preferred lawn fertilizer) in ample stock though I've begun to find the Milo much cheaper at one of our local lawn and garden stores.
Last edited by KT785 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I think you just get used to a stores layout and that influences which you like more. Previously we lived closer to a Home Depot and preferred it. Now we live closer to a Lowe's and prefer it. Every time we walk into our non usual store it just feels uncomfortable.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Both are very close to me.

I go to Home Depot when I need something I think might be slightly more unique. Random screw of a certain size, random plumbing fitting... basically when I need to fix something.

I go to Lowes when I want to evaluate the products available for something I'm trying to accomplish.

So, basically, I think Home Depot is a better DIY store and I think Lowes is a better retail/shopping store. Just the impression that I get. I could be totally wrong.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

I find Lowe's on average to be my preference. Stores are cleaner, nicely organized, setup for easy browsing and presenting items in an appealing way. Brands are usually slightly nicer. Home Depot's are more industrial, go find your rack number and get it yourself place, with minimal care to cleaning or reorganizing during the day. Double check your individual product labels. Staff about the same in both and really mixed based on their previous experience. You have young first job employees and retirees needing extras income both of which often have the least knowledge. Then you also have the staff that might not be commonly thought of as smart but you talk to them and they've been in the store ten years then some trade for 25 years before that. I love those staff to talk to and they'll go on at length about what I'm doing or buying wrong.
Lowe's almost always more expensive but I often use 10% coupons and use cash back links. I never shop anything over $100 at Lowe's without a coupon.
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

I have both a Lowe's and Home Depot near me. I think Home Depot has a little cheaper price with the products. If it's something I want that is not an emergency however I can usually find it much cheaper on Amazon or sometimes even Walmart. For example a spark plug for my mower is $4+ at HD and Lowes but $2 at Walmart. Motor Oil made for mowers is $8+ at Lowe's but $3 for same size on Amazon. Most plumbing parts can be found on Amazon much cheaper than HD and Lowes also.
RCL

Post by RCL »

The Lowes in my area
gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones.

Home Depot, on the other hand will only allow me a discount on a very few days each year.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

The few times I've been in there Home Depot has always given me the veterans discount. As in other businesses, I try to remember to ask if it offers veterans a discount.
Gordon
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

On average, pretty evenly matched with minor differences.

Lowes seems to have a better selection of styles for products where that matters - very slightly more decorator oriented.

Home Depot seems to be more adequately staffed (at least in my area), have a bit more selection in their lumber, electrical, plumbing, etc, and I tend to like their house brand tools a bit better - very slightly more construction-oriented.

I drive past both stores on my way home from work. I tend to favor Lowes a little bit as the underdog in order to help ensure the competition remains, in addition to the 5% discount on their credit card.

Also, I have serious questions about how Home Depot managed to convince both Makita and Milwaukee to refuse to do business with Lowes. It seems shady, and I know they've been sued over it, but I don't think anything was ever proven.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

RCL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am The Lowes in my area gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones.
If you have a myLowes card(loyalty card type thing), you can verify/add your veteran status to it and just scan the card versus carry around a 214 and ask for a discount. myLowes also tracks your purchases which can come in handy if you lost a receipt.

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register?context=military
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Around me the Home Depot has a much better selection of hardware, plumbing and electrical supplies, and lumber. I usually go there for what I need. It's also in a mote convenient location. The only time I'll definitely go to Lowe's is for paint. Their Sherwin Williams line is significantly cheaper than from a paint store and far better quality than the store brands at either place.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

gkaplan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:22 am The few times I've been in there Home Depot has always given me the veterans discount. As in other businesses, I try to remember to ask if it offers veterans a discount.
Hm. On that note, I wonder if either of them would provide a senior discount. Anybody every ask?
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have one of each nearby. Generally prefer Lowes because store is cleaner and better organized. The assistance I get from store personnel is about the same. I do use HD for rentals of equipment as Lowes does not offer rentals except for trucks to haul stuff.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I prefer Lowe's. It just seems like a nicer store, and has more garden stuff, which is what I buy, primarily.

On the downside, both stores have had a fail: Home Depot made a return of a defective product a months long repeated phone calls process, and Lowe's strung out the installation of a new storm door in terms of getting a last missing part installed. That's when I discovered that Lowe's has several "store managers" per store, so if you call in and try to get the manager to resolve an issue, you get some random person who may have no idea what's going on and no continuity. Also their installers are just random contractors/handypersons they hire on a temporary basis.

By the way, never buy Larson storm doors. If they're in full sun they reach very high temperatures. I have to leave the window part down and just the screen in place all summer. I was seriously concerned about a fire hazard, no joke.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We have a Lowes nearby so it is more convenient. Their phone app is handy for locating the aisle and bay where an item is stored.

I also frequent our local hardware store quite a bit. They are much more knowledgeable and they often have higher quality goods than the big box stores. Lowes/HD tends to carry lower end products.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I have a few rentals and currently doing a huge rehab on an old rental. Home Depot and Lowes are equidistant from me, but I prefer HD.

Most likely because I'm more familiar with the store layout and know exactly where everything is. I'm also an "HD Pro," so I get a few little perks and it seems like HD employees in my store are more eager to help me load things into my trailer.

At my local Lowes, staff is pathetic and it's now down to where there are 4 auto-checkout lines with one person up front manning those auto-checkouts. Absolutely no other lines open.

I hate the autocheckout when I have a ton of lumber or a lot of individual items to scan.

HD also carries Milwaukee and some other premium brands that I use. (Not that I buy tools from them all the time.)

Lastly, I've also ordered many things from HD online and had them shipped to the store. Custom windows, copper gutters, very unique orders and they have always been good about communication and any returns. I've never been hassled about returning something there.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

squirm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm Which store is your go to for home and yard projects ?
Neither is my go to. My go to is a local, independent hardware store. If I need something from a store like HD or Lowe's they're interchangeable in my book and the nearest 2 locations for each are not only about the same distance from us but located fairly close to each other in both cases. I find HD to be more of a cluttered mess but I'll generally go to HD for some reason. If I don't feel like dealing with the mess -- especially for things such as searching for specific bolts, screws, etc I'll go to Lowes. For equipment rental I usually go to HD.

For our kitchen remodel we used a specific HD location because of experience with a very good kitchen guy at that location. We used an entirely different HD location for replacing some doors to go through a specific person working at that location's Pro Desk.
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

I'm lucky to have both about the same distance from my house, in the opposite direction. I find Home Depot to be more of a hardware store, if I'm doing projects that require materials, then HD it is. Lowes seems to be more of a home goods store, better selection in the decor department, i.e. towel bars, mirrors, fixtures - and a better selection of unique screws/bolts/knobs. Both are equal in the landscape/garden department. Both have stocking problems in the opposite of the above.

I have found Lowes seems to be pushing more to the self checkout, even on the weekends. As seen in 3 different stores, they don't have any regular checkouts open and only the self checkouts, which causes a headache. The contractor desk checkout is open. I've commented to my store's mangement a few times, falling on deaf ears and blank stares.

I find Home Depot nice from the receipt standpoint, I used my same credit card, and have my email address registered with it, so any in-store purchase will send me an emailed receipt, which I filter into a 'HomeDepot' folder. Nice for project cost tracking and returns. Have not seen the same with Lowes w/o using their card. I have also found that Lowes often offers a lower online price than in store on different items. I also cross check with the app when buying larger $ items. For example, I was buying a ladder than was shown to be $99 online, while it was $119 in the store, both shown to be on sale. I simply purchased it online while in the store and chose online pickup, promptly brought it up to customer service and closed out the online order. I haven't seen this at other stores, but consistently at Lowes.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I prefer Lowe's, it is closer to me by a little bit and within the same taxing jurisdiction that I live, Home Depot is not significantly further, but is not in my taxing district.
There is a Home Depot across town that seems better than the one closer to me.

Lowe's has better lumber. Home Depot beats them on price. I could frame a deck with lumber from Home Depot, but the deck boards on top would come from Lowe's.

Last year we had severe flooding in my area. Lowe's and Home Depot both flooded. Lowe's had their store back open after two weeks (they brought in a massive team that worked around the clock to make it happen). Home Depot took over 3 months. Lowe's showed a commitment to the community by getting back open as soon as possible. Home Depot did not appear to be in any hurry to get at least the bare essentials available. For this reason above all of the others, I prefer Lowe's.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

RCL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am The Lowes in my area
gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones to receive the discount.

Home Depot, on the other hand will only allow me a discount on a very few days each year.
I receive the same 10% discount (any day of the year) at the Lowe's in my area too (in fact it's in every store now). I went to the courtesy desk and showed them my DD214 to input it into their system. So now when I go there I simply ask for the veterans discount and give them my phone number and show my driver's license to receive the discount.

The previous policy for Lowe's was:

They offer a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID, every day of the week.

All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.

The new Lowe's policy is:

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to extend our gratitude to the men and women who have served or are currently serving our country in the US armed forces.1

To receive the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or a veteran2 of the US armed forces or be the immediate family member3

and

Enroll in the program online. Lowe’s uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.

The Military Discount is established for personal purchases and cannot be used for previous sales or the purchase of gift cards or services4 including product installations. It cannot be used with any other offer, coupon, promotion, discount, Lowe's Low Price Guarantee, special price programs such as Lowe’s volume or special discount programs or on LowesForPros.com purchases. Extended Protection Plans, fees or taxes are also excluded from the Military discount. Offer is not redeemable for cash, is nontransferable, cannot be combined with manager discretion price adjustments or Lowe’s credit discount offers, such as but not limited to, Lowe's Consumer Credit Card 5% Off Every Day discount.

We reserve the right to cancel or modify this program at any time at our sole discretion. We also reserve the right to revoke enrollment status based on evidence of misuse.

1US armed forces include active and reserve members of the US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard and the National Guard.

2Veteran includes all individuals who are retired from the US armed forces or who have been discharged (e.g., honorable, under honorable condition, general). Individuals dishonorably discharged or for bad conduct are not eligible to receive a military discount.

3Immediate Family: Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old)

Military Discount Policy

As far as I know Home Depot still has the earlier policy in effect.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Edie

Post by Edie »

squirm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm I do a ton of projects around the house and the rental when I have spare time. Over the years I usually spent more time at Home Depot. Even though the stores seemed more of a mess I could generally find things I need (except for plumbing parts, what a disaster).

We live out in the boonies so going to these stores involves a traveling a good distance. However I've been visiting Lowes a lot more often because of their website. I think their website is much better presented then HD. Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.

Which store is your go to for home and yard projects ?
The part I bolded is strange to me. I looked up a part for our weedeater a couple weeks ago on the HD site, and was able to tell my spouse how many in stock, the aisle and the bay, at our local store from their website. Maybe you don't have your local store set?
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Home Depot is a little cheaper but Lowes seems to have a better selection. So I just go to Lowes. I could get the Lowes credit card then the prices would be better or a draw. I don't think home depot has a card like that.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

From what I have heard, if it is unseen (piping, framing wood, electrical wire, etc) Home Depot as they are cheaper and supply the same stuff. If it is seen, (lights, sinks, tile, etc) go to Lowes as they have a better selection and quality. If your strictly looking at cost, go to Menards during an 11% sale.

I generally go to HD because its 2 miles vs 10 miles from my house and on my way home from work.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My experience:
Home Depot - has a better selection and more merchandise for DIY's for many projects (Example: When I had to replace my garage door springs Lowes only had three sizes/strengths and didn't carry the heavy-duty strength I required - I had to leave Lowes and drive to Home Depot which had a much wider selection. I have found similar with other items/areas).
Lowes - has better quality merchandise in certain areas (Carries higher-end tile and lighting than Home Depot - at least in my area).
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

squirm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.
This has not been my experience at all. I use the HD website and I love how it lets me select "my" store (and save as default) and then it even tells me which aisle, row, and bin that my product is in...and how many are left. Awesome! I have used that feature numerous times even for piddly stuff like light bulbs, etc.

I used to go Lowes over HD, but now it's reversed just due to my moving and the stores' locations. I think that Lowes has a lot of upscale stuff like decor and small appliances, that HD does not bother with. HD is more like an old fashioned hardware store/lumber yard.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Lowes opened near us recently. While I don't go often, I like the convenience. Of note, I needed a particular cleaning spray, just the other day, searched online and was able to buy it online and pick it up on the way home. While it probably saved me no time compared to walking to aisle location to get the product myself, I liked the certainty of being able to actually obtain the good by purchasing in advance.

Lowes also offered a service to repot plants, if you buy the container from them. I was pretty amazed that they did this, even if you weren't buying some fancy container. The guy doing the work was very nice and for two plants the total was something ridiculous, under $10. We live in an apartment and it would be a nuisance to buy a whole bag of potting soil to do the job, so I found this super convenient and certainly a great deal for the price.

HD is a bit farther away. More neutral on them, but probably not a fair comparison given the few data points and proximity of Lowes.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

Our city has Home Depot, Walmart Supercenter, and Lowes in a line with each other! If you just need a spray can of Rustoleum(*) pick the one with the lowest price (Walmart) or the shortest lines (not Walmart). As others have posted, Home Depot has a more industrial feel (guys like this), while Lowes has better aesthetics (better for gals).

* Full disclosure, I'm an RPM stockholder.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Lowes gift cards typically sell at a larger discount than home depot on gift card reseller websites. ~2% for home depot, not worth the trouble vs 5-7% for lowes, could be worth it for large purchases.

I tend to go to lowes for projects and Ace for small parts, hand tools, and quick trips. Well worth paying double on a $3 item and being in/out in less than 5 minutes and cutting out 15 minutes of drive time.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Home Depot. A little closer, the parking lot has a much better accessibility from the road I use and there isn't cross traffic from other stores because it's by itself.

Plus I had a bad experience in Lowe's a few years ago - I picked out my stuff and showed up at the registers - not one was manned. No way to check out.

I also think the help is more knowledgeable at HD at least between the two stores in my area.

Paint tho - the Sherman Williams line has me going to Lowe's for paint.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

As KlingKlang has mentioned, the two stores target different demographics:
Home Depot targets men
Lowes targets women

Their inventories, layouts, advertising are also consistent

Notice that Lowes advertising is largely printed with colorful ads and tries for both but more focused on women versus fewer advertisements for HD which largely focuses on projects and tools

(Menards, mentioned by another poster, seemed closer to Lowes in fit; it's also only in a smaller Midwest market. I didn't always feel that their quality was as high in *some* of the products )
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 pm As KlingKlang has mentioned, the two stores target different demographics:
Home Depot targets men
Lowes targets women

Notice that Lowes advertising is largely printed with colorful ads and tries for both but more focused on women versus fewer advertisements for HD which largely focuses on projects and tools

(Menards, mentioned by another poster, seemed closer to Lowes in fit; it's also only in a smaller Midwest market. I didn't always feel that their quality was as high in *some* of the products )
Not necessarily :D Lowe's only has one store within 10 miles radius of my houses whereas Home Depot has two much closer. One is a superstore. I've recently remodeled my house and found the staff at Home Depot most helpful especially if I'm there at 6:00 a.m. I like their ability to search online and find the exact position of the item I am trying to find. I once bought tiles for my bathroom at a store 20 miles away after searching about 10.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I prefer Lowes since they carry brands such as Troy Bilt with respect to lawn mowers, snow blowers and other assorted small engine devices.

Home Depot's selection is a little lacking in this respect (at least in my area).
LEB1230

Post by LEB1230 »

Menards- but I worked there during high school and college so I know where everything is located and for a young adult working there they treated their employees fairly well.

If I need lumber I do go to Lowes as it seems better than what Menards carries. I only go to Home Depot to take the kiddos there to do their free kids projects.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

six of one, half dozen of the other. people are gonna like the store they go to and are familiar with it's layout.

i usually go to HD but only because it's closer. but for appliances and garden plants -- i shop em both.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 pm As KlingKlang has mentioned, the two stores target different demographics:
Home Depot targets men
Lowes targets women

Well if we're going to play to stereotypes, I consider it a hole in Home Depot's lineup that they carry so few Bosch products - the company responsible for bringing us the jigsaw, originally invented when one of their engineers modified his wife's sewing machine to cut wood.

Is that what you're referring to?

If other men are intimidated by Lowes seeming too effeminate for them, my local Home Depot might not be the best place for them either - The best customer support experience I've had at Home Depot was from a woman working in the plumbing aisle who knew exactly where the parts I needed were, and even took the time to suggest a better approach than I had planned despite the fact that it was 5 minutes past closing time.

As far as the ads - Every time I see the Home Depot ad, it reminds me our clothes washer is starting to show its age. Half the pages are usually appliances, although I just checked and this week's ad is 3/4 furniture and decor.
Andyrunner wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 amFrom what I have heard, if it is unseen (piping, framing wood, electrical wire, etc) Home Depot as they are cheaper and supply the same stuff. If it is seen, (lights, sinks, tile, etc) go to Lowes as they have a better selection and quality.
That's actually a pretty good comparison - not as a rule, but as a rough guideline.
RCL

Post by RCL »

minesweep wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am
RCL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am The Lowes in my area
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones to receive the discount.

I receive the same 10% discount (any day of the year) at the Lowe's in my area too (in fact it's in every store now). I went to the courtesy desk and showed them my DD214 to input it into their system. So now when I go there I simply ask for the veterans discount and give them my phone number and show my driver's license to receive the discount.

The previous policy for Lowe's was:

They offer a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID, every day of the week.

All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.

The new Lowe's policy is:

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to extend our gratitude to the men and women who have served or are currently serving our country in the US armed forces.1

To receive the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or a veteran2 of the US armed forces or be the immediate family member3

and

Enroll in the program online. Lowe’s uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.

The Military Discount is established for personal purchases and cannot be used for previous sales or the purchase of gift cards or services4 including product installations. It cannot be used with any other offer, coupon, promotion, discount, Lowe's Low Price Guarantee, special price programs such as Lowe’s volume or special discount programs or on LowesForPros.com purchases. Extended Protection Plans, fees or taxes are also excluded from the Military discount. Offer is not redeemable for cash, is nontransferable, cannot be combined with manager discretion price adjustments or Lowe’s credit discount offers, such as but not limited to, Lowe's Consumer Credit Card 5% Off Every Day discount.

We reserve the right to cancel or modify this program at any time at our sole discretion. We also reserve the right to revoke enrollment status based on evidence of misuse.

1US armed forces include active and reserve members of the US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard and the National Guard.

2Veteran includes all individuals who are retired from the US armed forces or who have been discharged (e.g., honorable, under honorable condition, general). Individuals dishonorably discharged or for bad conduct are not eligible to receive a military discount.

3Immediate Family: Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old)

Military Discount Policy

As far as I know Home Depot still has the earlier policy in effect.
Thank you and the others for information regarding this
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

scubadiver
Last edited by scubadiver on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander

Post by wander »

Lowes or Home Depot works fine with me as long they have what I am looking for. I used to shop at Home Depot but now at Lowes, basically whichever nearby. Lowes is around the corner from my house, Home Depot is another 15 minutes. I think the "My Lowes card" is somewhat useless to some because it does not add benefits to users other than the convenient to return stuffs if you don't like to keep your receipts.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm
Nearing_Destination wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 pm As KlingKlang has mentioned, the two stores target different demographics
Well if we're going to play to stereotypes, I consider it a hole in Home Depot's lineup that they carry so few Bosch products - the company responsible for bringing us the jigsaw, originally invented when one of their engineers modified his wife's sewing machine to cut wood.

Is that what you're referring to?
I said "targeting "-- as in marketing to

(I had spoken to the regional marketing director of one of the two--- yep, marketing)

Post by 123 »

scubadiver wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:24 pm Neither. I go to the Ace Hardware that is owned and operated by the parents of one of my daughter's classmates.
+1 I used to go to HD for everything around the house. When Lowes arrived I tried them for awhile. If I've got lots of time to shop I'll still go to HD or Lowes for entertainment but if I just need something fast (like TODAY) then 90% of the time Ace Hardware will have it. It always seems like a journey to go to HD or Lowes versus Ace Hardware is like pulling into a gas station. From my experience in a couple of different cities the Ace Hardware inventory is somewhat biased to the homes in the local area, they watch what sells and always have it in stock, they don't waste any space. I don't seem to be able to go into an HD or Lowes without spending an hour of time, Ace Hardware I can be in and out in 5 minutes. Ace Hardware can be more expensive but it all depends.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

In my experience:

In store, or online purchase for in-stock, in-store pickup: comparable.
Online order for home delivery: pick Lowes. I've had issues with HD with incorrectly labeled items and incorrect shipped items.

In store product selection: I prefer Lowes more often if its a "boxed" item. If I'm building something, Home Depot is better in that they sell things like moulding by the foot, and HD will slice-cut your lumber/shelf panels as requested. Lowes only offers wood pieces in fixed lengths, and I don't believe they have a lumber cutter.
digarei

Post by digarei »

hmmm...

Which is better:
  • McDonald's or Burger King?

Coke or Pepsi?

MegaCorp or MegaCorp?
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

In my small town, we had a Home Depot but no Lowes until about a year ago. The HD has very poor customer service, few people with much knowledge or able to help with a problem. I used to travel 25 miles to a neighboring town with a Lowes that had great customer service. So, last year Lowes built and opened a store here. It is one of their "reduced" stores with a lower inventory and smaller amount of floor space. Their customer service is just as bad as HD. :oops:
Now, if I just need to pick up something I will stop by whichever store is on my way, . However, if I need advice, I pass them both and head for that Lowes 25 miles away. So, bottom line to me is that there is no general rule about which is "better". Local management has a much bigger impact than any difference between the stores.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

rec7 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am Home Depot is a little cheaper but Lowes seems to have a better selection. So I just go to Lowes. I could get the Lowes credit card then the prices would be better or a draw. I don't think home depot has a card like that.
Home Depot does have a credit card, but I don't think it entitles you to any particular discounts.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 am
rec7 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am Home Depot is a little cheaper but Lowes seems to have a better selection. So I just go to Lowes. I could get the Lowes credit card then the prices would be better or a draw. I don't think home depot has a card like that.
Home Depot does have a credit card, but I don't think it entitles you to any particular discounts.
Just a note that Discover card gives a 5% Cash Reward on the first $1500 of purchases for home improvement stores April, May, and June.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I usually go to Lowes first, HD for alternates. Lowes has given 10% off for military ever since I can remember. HD has been on again off again. I have ordered "stuff" from lowes on line since the majority of it has free shipping. I find HD has a lot of "stuff" that I see on line that is not at that store, but you can have it shipped to the store for free. :P
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Recently I needed a pint of 511 sealer. The smallest size at Home Depot was a quart but Lowes had the pint container, so I bought it at Lowes. Besides the cost, I don't like having left over chemicals that are hard to dispose of.
chinto

Post by chinto »

Home Depot. For several reasons, Lowes is far more dysfunctional when it comes to looking up a product on-line and then going to pick it up at a store only to find out it is not in stock at the store even though they website said it clearly was in stock. Getting them to deliver on time is a major challenge.

Home Depot still employs people who actually have worked in the trades. I have not had an intelligent comment from a Lowes store employee yet that makes me think they know what their products are actually used for.

Then there is the horrible way Lowes treats its employees. I cannot express deeply enough the terrible way Lowes now treats its employees. For example, this year they off-shored to Bangalore 90% of their IT, forcing U.S. employees to go to Bangalore and train their replacements or shipped their replacement stateside to be trained. Now Lowes is terminating the business side in the U.S .and moving those jobs to Bangalore also. Sorry Home Depot has some off shoring also, but it is no where as pervasive as Lowes.

Home Depot carries Behr paints, Lowes does not.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/consumer-reports

Lowes does have one thing you cannot buy at Menards, Farm & Fleet of Home Depot: Sugar Dots corn seed. I buy a pack every 7 years or so from their seed rack and refrigerate it. They last that long for me. They are the only chain store I have ever seen that carries the venerable Sugar Dots sweet corn, for my money, the best of the bi-colors. The seed is very hard to come by and Lowes usually has it. Sugar Dots is an old "su" type and hence is a home grower not market variety. But for those who like sweet corn that still has a corn taste to it and not just bland sweetness Sugar Dots is a fine choice.

By the way I would take Menards over either any day.
Last edited by chinto on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I go to both. Sometime HD doesn't carry certain products and you'll find them at Lowes.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am
RCL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am The Lowes in my area gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
If you have a myLowes card(loyalty card type thing), you can verify/add your veteran status to it and just scan the card versus carry around a 214 and ask for a discount. myLowes also tracks your purchases which can come in handy if you lost a receipt.

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register?context=military
Is the MyLowes card truly *free*? I am not trying to get a veteran or other discount, simply trying to get free shipping. My neighborhood Lowe's doesn't seem to stock the common household good I want, though I don't feel like paying $6 in shipping as I'm in no particular rush to obtain it.

"Free shipping" sounds too good to be true, unless Lowe's has a special promotion going on. I am trying to avoid registering only to get snookered into a program that won't actually provide for free shipping.

Anyone with experience here? Thanks in advance!

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register? ... l_Shipping