Harry Bosch: the Amazon Series vs the novels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Harry Bosch: the Amazon Series vs the novels

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Felt prompted to start this thread, as I have recently decided to make use of my 3 month Amazon Prime trial (won't be using,just don't order much) by at least watching the Bosch Series, currently in its third year.

Having read a number of the Michael Connelly novels on Bosch and also the Mickey Haller series (not my favorite- Lincoln Lawyer,etc), I was curious to see how faithfully the series would follow the character, and interested if any other Bogleheads have thoughts on this.

Just finished year 1 of the Series on Amazon. Found the theme pretty dark and grim, actually avoided some of the scenes, but otherwise a good introduction to the characters. Titus Welliver is not who I imagined Harry to be from the novels, but that is sort of like imagining what your favorite radio announcer looks like, you really don't have a visual. That said, I think Titus does grow into the character well.

Now into year 2, which I find a bit lighter, thankfully, as homicide stories go, and primarily enjoy the interplay of the various characters with Harry.
L.A. is really the star of this show, the realistic locations, many familiar if you have ever lived there for a while; some of the aerial shots are amazing, wonder if they use a helicopter and if so how they keep the shot so still.

One jarring difference from the novels is Harry's home. In both the novel and TV show, he was supposed to be able to afford the home with its sweeping view due to a one time payment as a consultant on a movie. But in the novels, the house is a cracker box cantilevered over a hill, looking down on the I-5 as it goes through Cahuenga Pass from Hollywood to Studio City. But in the Amazon Series, it is a very fancy, modern all glass front overlooking the L.A. lights, a bit too fancy even for a detective who received a one time payment for a movie. For those who have not read the novels, it won't be jarring.

All in all a great series. Just renewed for a fourth season, hope it goes on for years.

Maybe this will start some comments on the series vs the book, etc. My favorite supporting actor in the series has to be Amy Aquino, Harry's immediate supervisor.
MP173

Re: Harry Bosch:the Amazon Series vs the novels

Post by MP173 »

Harry is one of my favorite charactors in novels.

Thanks for the tip for Amazon.

Ed
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I first watched the first season a few years ago. Then I read all books (plus Haller books). When I read the books, I mentally "saw" Titus Welliver, his wife (the FBI agent turned professional gambler), his daughter ...

I only watched half the second season, somehow dropped it mid-way. Planning to watch the 3rd season soon.

Didn't really notice the "quality" difference of his home. In one of the books it gets condemned after the Northridge quake. Maybe he fixed it up nicely ... or maybe they couldn't find a cracker box house for the movie shoot :)

Uh, looks like Connelly is starting a new series with The Late Show. Put on hold at my library for upcoming beach vacation :)
cantos

Post by cantos »

Never read the book, but I love the show. One of the best on TV right now. Love the LA noir feel.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

After seeing the Amazon series I started reading the books. Really enjoy them. Just read The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Halley) and that was great. I don't expect the TV to be like the book.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

I think the attraction of the LA Noir is that generally, compared to most cities, if LA is a city, it is sunny,has many beautiful areas close to town, like the hills,and so when the sinister occurs, either in a novel or the series, it is such a counterpoint, and certainly Titus carries that careworn look at times.
I read his wiki bio, and sadly he did lose one of his wives to breast cancer, so he has seen life's bumps for sure.

I lived in the Brentwood neighborhood of LA in the late 70's, very quiet, low crime. One day I was driving along a street and slowed down for a man and his son playing basketball in the road. Just north of San Vicente. I slowed down to pass them. The man's back was to me, he dribbled the ball a couple of times, turned to look at me with a great smile. A beautiful day, a beautiful neighborhood.

It was O.J. Simpson in 1978.

LA Noir.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

I'm a huge fan of both the show and the novels. I saw the TV series (Season 1) first and then picked up the books. I like it much better that way because then who the characters are has already been defined for you. Going from books to TV is a recipe for disappointment imo.

I'm trying to read the books in order. Well, the Bosch novels anyway. I've read the first two Mickey Haller novels, as well as two non-Bosch novels The Poet and Blood Work. I'm up to Trunk Music or the 5th Bosch book and am glad to know that there is still a long way to go.

In terms of the house and how it's different in the books, Trunk Music is when he's moved back in after the earthquake so I'm just assuming he's made it/going to make it a bit fancier, and that's how they chose to show it in the show.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

[quote="TravelGeek"]I first watched the first season a few years ago. Then I read all books (plus Haller books). When I read the books, I mentally "saw" Titus Welliver, his wife (the FBI agent turned professional gambler), his daughter ...

I agree, now that I have seen the series, with my next Bosch read, I will "see" him as Titus. I think that's actually a nice synergy, looking forward to more reads, I probably have only read six of the current 21 Bosch novels Connelly has written.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Have read all of Connolly's book, huge Bosch fan. Download the audio book as soon as a new one appears. Have friends/co-workers who feel the same way.

Was very happy to see that Amazon had developed a Bosch series. The Amazon series is a mash-up of various books - I recognize some of the plot lines (esp. season 1), not so much others.

At first I had a hard time adjusting to the actor who plays Bosch (not my imagination), but by season 3 I'd forgotten all about that. Wife has not read any of the books, and she enjoys the series.

Why do to a movie theater, when you can watch this at home?

More, please!
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

In terms of the TV show I like the connections to other shows that I've seen and liked. Jamie Hector (Jay Edgar) and Lance Reddick (Chief Irving) are of course stalwarts from The Wire. I first saw Titus Welliver play the DA in Season 1/2 of The Good Wife. A lot of actors from The Wire played recurring or cameo roles on The Good Wife. If there are producer/writer/director links between the three shows as well I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

4nwestsaylng wrote:
One jarring difference from the novels is Harry's home. In both the novel and TV show, he was supposed to be able to afford the home with its sweeping view due to a one time payment as a consultant on a movie. But in the novels, the house is a cracker box cantilevered over a hill, looking down on the I-5 as it goes through Cahuenga Pass from Hollywood to Studio City. But in the Amazon Series, it is a very fancy, modern all glass front overlooking the L.A. lights, a bit too fancy even for a detective who received a one time payment for a movie. For those who have not read the novels, it won't be jarring.
That's outrageous. On that alone, I won't watch the series. ;)

Seriously. Half the fun of Bosch is when he sits on his deck at sunset listening to jazz and watching the traffic flow through the pass. I enjoy the sense of place and a glass house with city lights wouldn't be the same.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

In the books Bosch is a Vietnam vet. The TV series is set in the present day, and Bosch is a vet but not sure which war.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

BlueEars wrote:In the books Bosch is a Vietnam vet. The TV series is set in the present day, and Bosch is a vet but not sure which war.
Pretty sure it's Iraq or Afghanistan. Titus Welliver is too young to play a Vietnam viet.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

To those of you nit picking the series, I'm pretty sure Michael Connelly was an active participant in its production. In fact, I believe he was instrumental in creating it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)
Gordon
Munir

Post by Munir »

I have followed Harry Bosch from his earliest appearance in print and have greatly enjoyed Michael Connelly's books. I watched the first episode of the TV series and never came back for more. It seemed like any "tough" cop series on TV and didn't have the subtleties and nuances that Connelly includes in his books- even if Connelly was involved in the production. What a waste.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

gkaplan wrote:To those of you nit picking the series, I'm pretty sure Michael Connelly was an active participant in its production. In fact, I believe he was instrumental in creating it.

Nitpicking is what Bogelheads do best.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Watched four episodes tonight. Really good show.

Ed
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

BlueEars wrote:
gkaplan wrote:To those of you nit picking the series, I'm pretty sure Michael Connelly was an active participant in its production. In fact, I believe he was instrumental in creating it.

Nitpicking is what Bogelheads do best.
So here's a nitpick: it's Bogleheads. :wink:
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

gkaplan wrote:[Titus Welliver is too young to play a Vietnam viet.
That was an interesting Freudian slip.

I watched whole series - 2 seasons last years, 1 this year. Pretty much the only Amazon content I found worth watching, so my Prime video is now cancelled again. I will probably renew it one month a year when the next season comes out.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

see post below.
Last edited by 4nwestsaylng on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

madbrain wrote:
That was an interesting Freudian slip.

I watched whole series - 2 seasons last years, 1 this year. Pretty much the only Amazon content I found worth watching, so my Prime video is now cancelled again. I will probably renew it one month a year when the next season comes out.
I watched whole series - 2 seasons last years, 1 this year. Pretty much the only Amazon content I found worth watching, so my Prime video is now cancelled again. I will probably renew it one month a year when the next season comes out.[/quote]

Right. The novels started in the early 90s, which would probably place Harry at that time in his 40s, so to stay with the Vietnam vet story he would now be in his mid sixties. In the novels, he was a veteran of the Vietnam "tunnel rats" , guys brave enough to enter the maze of tunnels and encounter often booby traps and torture if caught. This was the source of many PTSD type flashbacks for Harry, but he coped better than most. The Series updates to the Gulf war and Afghanistan, where he again did tunnel work, but probably no comparison in risk to the Vietnam tunnels, which were very small and unstable.

I have tried some of the other Amazon series, so far nothing inspires. The series about the guy who is an intelligence officer, but has a preoccupation with singing and rhyming, I found that the latter quickly got tiresome and not at all believable. As the Brits would say, the creators and writers of that program were "too clever by half". So with little need for shipping savings, I probably will not continue Prime until the next Season 4 Bosch comes out. I really wish Amazon would cut a break on viewing old movies. Heck, I wanted to watch "Chinatown", a favorite that is over 40 years old, and it still has a $3.99 rental fee! No way.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I, too , have read most of the Connelly Bosch books. As it turns out, the character is based on a guy I went to junior high and high school with, Rick Jackson. I discovered this when his name was used in one of the books.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
jimnicol

Post by jimnicol »

4nwestsaylng wrote:Felt prompted to start this thread, as I have recently decided to make use of my 3 month Amazon Prime trial (won't be using,just don't order much) by at least watching the Bosch Series, currently in its third year.

Having read a number of the Michael Connelly novels on Bosch and also the Mickey Haller series (not my favorite- Lincoln Lawyer,etc), I was curious to see how faithfully the series would follow the character, and interested if any other Bogleheads have thoughts on this.

Just finished year 1 of the Series on Amazon. Found the theme pretty dark and grim, actually avoided some of the scenes, but otherwise a good introduction to the characters. Titus Welliver is not who I imagined Harry to be from the novels, but that is sort of like imagining what your favorite radio announcer looks like, you really don't have a visual. That said, I think Titus does grow into the character well.

Now into year 2, which I find a bit lighter, thankfully, as homicide stories go, and primarily enjoy the interplay of the various characters with Harry.
L.A. is really the star of this show, the realistic locations, many familiar if you have ever lived there for a while; some of the aerial shots are amazing, wonder if they use a helicopter and if so how they keep the shot so still.

All in all a great series. Just renewed for a fourth season, hope it goes on for years.

Maybe this will start some comments on the series vs the book, etc. My favorite supporting actor in the series has to be Amy Aquino, Harry's immediate supervisor.
Welliver wasn't my image of Bosch either, but he's grown on me...
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Raybo wrote:I, too , have read most of the Connelly Bosch books. As it turns out, the character is based on a guy I went to junior high and high school with, Rick Jackson. I discovered this when his name was used in one of the books.
That is very cool trivia,a little "inside" recognition Connelly put in the book.

To see Harry's old crackerbox house on Youtube, it is mentioned in one of the earlier responses above, or you can find it on Youtube. I think the audio is probably from the audiobook, as it describes the house as "no larger than a Beverly Hills garage".

Also on Youtube you can find the inside of the new house, filmed briefly by the crew during a shoot setup. The crewmember describes the house as very small but with a great view, shows the old stereo Harry uses, and the kitchen. Probably the place only has a couple of bedrooms.

Trivia from the new series: in Season 1, Harry goes to question the De LaCroix daughter at work, where she is a casting director. You will note he walks in through the entrance of Red Studios, which happens to be where Bosch is produced!

About Red Studios, from Wiki:
Red Studios Hollywood, formerly Desilu Cahuenga Studio and Ren-Mar Studios, is a rental studio located at 846 N. Cahuenga Blvd. in Hollywood, California, on premises that were formerly the home of Desilu Productions. It was first built in 1915 as Metro Pictures Back Lot #3, and has been used for a wide variety of film and television production, and the studio has been known by many different names.
MP173

Re: Harry Bosch: the Amazon Series vs the novels

Post by MP173 »

Watched Season 1, ep 5 thru 8 last night.

We are hooked.

Ed
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I don't remember the episode, but Rick Ferri's "The ETF Book" makes a cameo in Bosch's apartment as the camera pans across a bookshelf. I about jumped out of my seat when I saw it.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I'm not a California guy, but I was always interested in learning about LA from these books. I think it annoys people, though -- it can be like reading driving directions. Big fan of the books, and the series is well done. I like that Amazon can take on more adult themes than a network show can. Actors are pros. Good production. My only gripe is how expensive the e-books have become. I'm first in line when a new Bosch comes out, but for $14.95 I have to pass. Sometimes you can get them on a deal of the day several months later, though.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Dude2 wrote:My only gripe is how expensive the e-books have become. I'm first in line when a new Bosch comes out, but for $14.95 I have to pass. Sometimes you can get them on a deal of the day several months later, though.
I have borrowed every single one from my local library, almost all as eBooks. $0 cost to me. Granted, for the upcoming book I'll probably have to wait for a while to get it, but I don't need it the day it comes out.

But yes, $15 for an eBook is a bit rich for my taste.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I too have read all the books and watched (with DW) the TV series. I think Titus is perfect for the role. The villains are also very well cast. I love Crate & Barrel, too. The plots follow the novels very well, including Bosch's struggle to give up smoking, the court scenes, his love of jazz, etc.

In contrast, think of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, or Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darrin--two of the worst-cast films ever made (not just my opinion!).

I recall reading that Michael Connelly had lost control of the Bosch character for a while in a movie deal, then bought it back. Perhaps he learned his lesson, and decided to maintain more control in this terrific TV series.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Jazztonight wrote:In contrast, think of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher,
I've not been able to read another Reacher book since.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jimnicol wrote:Welliver wasn't my image of Bosch either, but he's grown on me...
Mine either. One problem I have is the time line. Bosch is a Vietnam vet. Welliver was born in 1961. The character in the series and the book are not the same.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

jebmke wrote:
Jazztonight wrote:In contrast, think of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher,
I've not been able to read another Reacher book since.
ha, I've been able to keep reading them, just had to put a mental block on all things related to Tom Cruise.

I had never read the Bosch books, but I've really enjoyed the series on Amazon. For someone with no preconceptions about the characters, I think Welliver is outstanding, and the depiction of LAPD politics/work environment seems to hew fairly close to reality...
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

jebmke wrote:
jimnicol wrote:Welliver wasn't my image of Bosch either, but he's grown on me...
Mine either. One problem I have is the time line. Bosch is a Vietnam vet. Welliver was born in 1961. The character in the series and the book are not the same.
I don't think the time line is a big thing, because the novels are not set in either a Vietnam era or an Afghanistan era.Those are both historical, easy to switch his veteran experience from one to the other. The real story is L.A. noir, the real detective work, how it goes down, the politics,within the department and also the dept vs city hall. Much of this is real in most cities, we just don't know it,and the novels and the seies highlight the reality, even though this is a fictional show. Connelly is a stickler on credibility and reality. When Harry has pancakes in Dupars restaurant with his daughter, when he has breakfast in Norm's, these are real places I have eaten in when I lived in LA years ago. They still exist, and the filming is usually done on location.

Interesting the comment about the ETF book spotted on Harry's bookshelf. I don't think any of the books placed there are an accident, probably some inside baseball, or alternatively, they rented the house for the shoot and just left the owner's books on the shelf.That is very likely, although I think I also spotted "The Black Echo", one of the Connelly novels, on the shelf

What I like about the series is that it does not rely on car chases or tough guy stuff. In Series 2, episode 3 or 4, Titus more often gives "the look" to a criminal in the interrogation room, instead of mouthing off. When the hired "muscle" of the Vegas gangster gets rough, well you will see how Harry takes care of him quickly later on as he leaves Dolly's club in Vegas.

The aerial shots of Vegas also create that peculiar blend of desert light and starkness, contrasting with this strange place of lights and hotels in the middle of nowhere. Quick, efficient clips of Las Vegas, not wasting a lot of footage on the slots, gets right to the salient points of why he is there investigating. Note where Harry stays while in Vegas; it is not a casino, and he turns down the multiple local offers to be "comp'd" a room, meals, etc..

Most of the Bosch novels I have bought new in paperback when they come out at Costco,then I donate them to the library. So library probably a place for the ebooks. I never buy a hardcover best seller,too expensive!
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Now that I am done with all the seasons of Bosch, what next? Any suggestions for a quality show? Have watched all of Wallamder, and all of Luther.
Would like a good show series that doesn't have too too many episodes overall as I do not want to start in on a 60 episode show.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Shallowpockets wrote:Now that I am done with all the seasons of Bosch, what next? Any suggestions for a quality show? Have watched all of Wallamder, and all of Luther.
Would like a good show series that doesn't have too too many episodes overall as I do not want to start in on a 60 episode show.
First, if you have not read Michael Connelly's novels they are great bedtime or beach reads. He has done 21 Harry Bosch and 5 Mickey Haller (Bosch's lawyer step-brother, as in the book and film "The Lincoln Lawyer). So there are lots of Bosch novels that can be made into the series. I think you would enjoy reading the books. They are real pageturners, may keep you up much of the night to finish one, but don't, give yourself a few chapters and look forward to getting back to the book the next night. I find that reading them more slowly, maybe reviewing the previous chapter the next day before continuing, helps absorb the richness of the scenes that Connelly paints, as far as the flavor of L.A..

I don't like most of the PBS detective series that the "cognoscenti" (great word!) worship, like "Doc Martin", but I did enjoy "Foyle's War", you can probably see it online, also the DVD s are available at Costco. Again, a detective who says little, thinks a lot. Set in WWII England. Great interplay of the characters. Foyle is sort of a quiet Columbo type.

For old TV shows, I thought "Harry O" was a sleeper. Starring David Janssen, again a guy who underplays well, plays a detective in San Diego. Series only lasted two years, hard to find but look online, some of it is there.

Also if you have never seen the original "Fugitive" series with David Janssen, it was well done. I think it is in black and white.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

I pictured Jerry Edgar as about the same age as Bosch, and overweight.
Retired: VBIAX 100%
Edie

Post by Edie »

4nwestsaylng wrote: L.A. is really the star of this show, the realistic locations, many familiar if you have ever lived there for a while; some of the aerial shots are amazing, wonder if they use a helicopter and if so how they keep the shot so still.
Have not read the books, nor seen the series, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the aerial shots are done with drones. Have seen some amazing footage of places I would have thought inaccessible, video'd via drone.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

4nwestsaylng wrote:I don't think the time line is a big thing,
Not a big deal, true. It just took me a couple of episodes to shift gears because in my mind, Harry is older in the book. Have only watched a few episodes of Season 1 but I liked it. Just don't watch much TV period anymore.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Edie wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote: L.A. is really the star of this show, the realistic locations, many familiar if you have ever lived there for a while; some of the aerial shots are amazing, wonder if they use a helicopter and if so how they keep the shot so still.
Have not read the books, nor seen the series, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the aerial shots are done with drones. Have seen some amazing footage of places I would have thought inaccessible, video'd via drone.
Good point, drones would be very efficient low cost aerials.
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

jebmke wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:I don't think the time line is a big thing,
Not a big deal, true. It just took me a couple of episodes to shift gears because in my mind, Harry is older in the book. Have only watched a few episodes of Season 1 but I liked it. Just don't watch much TV period anymore.
You may like Season 2. I found Season 1 pretty "dark" due to the theme. I think Season 2 is where the ensemble cast finds its feet, and it is just more fun to watch.When he goes to Las Vegas, the local detective is quite a clown. Probably unfair to Vegas P.D., but there is a bit of " you're not coming from LA to tell us how to do our job here, Bosch" to it.

Nice thing about net series like Amazon in this case is that you don't just turn on the TV to "watch" the tube, you select what you want, turn it off when it is over. No "breaking news" junk or commercials.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

c.coyle wrote:I pictured Jerry Edgar as about the same age as Bosch, and overweight.
I pictured Jerry Edgar somewhat differently, as well. As I recall, the Jerry Edgar character in the books is someone who is somewhat lazy and takes the easy way out. The Jerry Edgar character in the movie seems more driven and conscientious.

By the way, the Michael Connelly website shows the following information about season four:

http://www.michaelconnelly.com/
Gordon
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

Ugh. Tom Cruise as Reacher. That really is just horrible casting indeed.
bayview

Post by bayview »

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Raybo wrote:I, too , have read most of the Connelly Bosch books. As it turns out, the character is based on a guy I went to junior high and high school with, Rick Jackson. I discovered this when his name was used in one of the books.
That is very cool trivia,a little "inside" recognition Connelly put in the book.

To see Harry's old crackerbox house on Youtube, it is mentioned in one of the earlier responses above, or you can find it on Youtube. I think the audio is probably from the audiobook, as it describes the house as "no larger than a Beverly Hills garage".

Also on Youtube you can find the inside of the new house, filmed briefly by the crew during a shoot setup. The crewmember describes the house as very small but with a great view, shows the old stereo Harry uses, and the kitchen. Probably the place only has a couple of bedrooms.

Trivia from the new series: in Season 1, Harry goes to question the De LaCroix daughter at work, where she is a casting director. You will note he walks in through the entrance of Red Studios, which happens to be where Bosch is produced!

About Red Studios, from Wiki:
Red Studios Hollywood, formerly Desilu Cahuenga Studio and Ren-Mar Studios, is a rental studio located at 846 N. Cahuenga Blvd. in Hollywood, California, on premises that were formerly the home of Desilu Productions. It was first built in 1915 as Metro Pictures Back Lot #3, and has been used for a wide variety of film and television production, and the studio has been known by many different names.
You can Google his address on Google Maps, and there it is. Still looks like a little crackerbox on stilts.

We love the Bosch (and Mickey) series, and it set us off on a noir binge, mainly Scandinavian, some Scottish.

For those rattled by the Vietnam vs Iraq/Afghanistan setting, I think the main point is that Harry is a veteran of unconventional warfare, and he brought back with him both the survival ability and the endless on-alertness/PTSD that goes along with that. It's a big part of what makes him good at what he does.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Shallowpockets wrote:Now that I am done with all the seasons of Bosch, what next? Any suggestions for a quality show? Have watched all of Wallamder, and all of Luther.
Try "The Killing" or "Happy Valley" or "The Fall" or season 1 of "True Detective".
209south

Post by 209south »

My wife and I have had Amazon Prime for years and order goods very frequently...had never used the free video service but traveled on business to Australia last week and downloaded a few movies + Bosch Season 1 as well as Catastrophe Season 1 and loved them both...all for free (once you've paid the $99 for Prime :wink: ) Bosch was a solid B, I haven't decided whether I will download season 2 or move on to another show. AMZN is a great modern company!!
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I have read every Bosch book and some of them twice. I watched all 3 seasons with Titus Weliver as Bosch. Titus does a great job on the character and the shows are excellent. I love the books and love the show. The Micky Haller books are also outstanding as is Connelly's new book "The Late Show". Connelly is one of the best writers out there.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

209south wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm My wife and I have had Amazon Prime for years and order goods very frequently...had never used the free video service but traveled on business to Australia last week and downloaded a few movies + Bosch Season 1 as well as Catastrophe Season 1 and loved them both...all for free (once you've paid the $99 for Prime :wink: ) Bosch was a solid B, I haven't decided whether I will download season 2 or move on to another show. AMZN is a great modern company!!
I think Season 2 is better than Season 1. You will be more familiar with the characters (Lt.Billets, Crate and Barrel, etc), and I think the story is much less dark, also the trips to Vegas are a nice break from LA. Also some good parallel stories going on in addition to Harry's story- the Deputy Police Chief's son as an undercover agent is well done, and you will find more surprising twists and turns in this series. I don't want to give any of them away, but I think they are good. I am up to episode 6 on Season 2.

When you consider the tremendous effort and team required to create a video story, I thought about how very efficient a novel is, written by its author, and the reader creates the whole "scene" through imagination. We had the written word long before electricity, let alone video, and it is still probably the best. But the Bosch videos are a nice treat, and they do give a visual in our minds to the characters, when we go back and read the novels.
gary11

Post by gary11 »

I haven't read the books but I'm a sucker for a slow cop/detective procedural drama on streaming networks and Bosch fit perfectly into my liking. Love the show. Can't wait till next season!
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

Just finished Season 1 last night. Wife and I loved it! We've been listening to Bosch books for years. Welliver not what I expected, but I got used to him. Given the comments here, can't wait to see Season 2.
4nwestsaylng wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:46 pm One jarring difference from the novels is Harry's home. In both the novel and TV show, he was supposed to be able to afford the home with its sweeping view due to a one time payment as a consultant on a movie. But in the novels, the house is a cracker box cantilevered over a hill, looking down on the I-5 as it goes through Cahuenga Pass from Hollywood to Studio City. But in the Amazon Series, it is a very fancy, modern all glass front overlooking the L.A. lights, a bit too fancy even for a detective who received a one time payment for a movie. For those who have not read the novels, it won't be jarring.
The house used in the series is located at 1870 Blue Heights Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90069 (after to googling "Harry Bosch house"). Using Google Maps 3D, from outside and below, it does look like the one shown in the series. Zillow says it's 2 bdrm, 2 bath, 1,513 sq. ft. Sounds like a cracker box to me. "Zestimate" is ~$2M. Probably more than a cop could afford, but maybe not after a payment for a movie? Not sure you can see the Cahuenga Pass from there, though.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Titus Welliver is not who I imagined Harry to be from the novels
Since I read the novels before watching the Amazon prime series, Lennie Briscoe (Jerry Orbach) of Law and Order was my mental image of Harry :happy
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)