Bough gift cards from cash card.com and somebody else used them all

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
misterno

Bough gift cards from cash card.com and somebody else used them all

Post by misterno »

I bought these Safeway gift cards because I always shop there

I bought them like January of this year and I was using them one by one. Yesterday one of them did not work so when I get back home, I called Safeway CSR and it seems like someone used my card in a state i have never been.

Then I told csr to check other cards. In total $1,700 worth of my gift cards are now worth zero.

Immediately I emailed Card Cash support and they said the guaranty is only for 45 days. Safeway says they will investigate

I can not believe this is happening. So what else can I do now?
ddurrett896

Re: Bough gift cards from cash card.com and somebody else used them all

Post by ddurrett896 »

misterno wrote: I can not believe this is happening. So what else can I do now?
I would start with the credit card company used to purchase the cards from cash card.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

In the future, do not purchase gift cards from a re-seller unless you plan on using them within a few days of the purchase.

People can easily resell their GC's, keep them (or the write down the number) and once 45 days passes use them.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

*delete*
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

This is unfortunately extremely common with CardCash. You might be out of luck or CardCash might take pity on you. It is known that sellers, if they are at all reputable, will wait the 45 days, then drain the gift cards if the buyer hasn't used them. The less legitimate of those sellers will immediately drain them and have you go through CardCash. Never hold onto gift cards for more than 45 days with them. Ever. Best of luck.
delamer

Post by delamer »

BeneIRA wrote:This is unfortunately extremely common with CardCash. You might be out of luck or CardCash might take pity on you. It is known that sellers, if they are at all reputable, will wait the 45 days, then drain the gift cards if the buyer hasn't used them. The less legitimate of those sellers will immediately drain them and have you go through CardCash. Never hold onto gift cards for more than 45 days with them. Ever. Best of luck.
So the reputable people wait 45 days to cheat you, while the disreputable ones do it immediately?

Interesting business...
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

A quick search shows that many people have similar complaints:

https://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business ... j-90028712

Out of curiosity, why do you buy gift cards to use yourself? Are you able to buy them at less than face value? Asking because I don't buy many gift cards other than from Amazon.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

climber2020 wrote:A quick search shows that many people have similar complaints:

https://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business ... j-90028712

Out of curiosity, why do you buy gift cards to use yourself? Are you able to buy them at less than face value? Asking because I don't buy many gift cards other than from Amazon.
May be the OP needed to buy a large amount of gift cards is to satisfy the spending level required by credit card companies so the OP could get the sign up bonus.

Like you, the only gift card I buy and use myself is Amazon and they keep it for me.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have used that site many times without a problem. It may have nothing to do with the site. Whoever sold the cards to them could have held on to the numbers and used them or resold them. The numbers could have been breached on the Safeway side (less likely). I try to use cards in whatever the guarantee period is for this reason.

You likely have no recourse at this point. Too late to dispute the credit card charge and too late to use CardCash guarantee.

I have wondered if you could make a normal purchase (like groceries) and add a gift card and use the giftcard received from CardCAsh (or wherever). I am not sure they let you buy giftcards with giftcards though.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

The 45 day protection is prominent on their site. You should have been aware of this.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm
misterno wrote: I can not believe this is happening. So what else can I do now?
I would start with the credit card company used to purchase the cards from cash card.
I think you only have 60 days from purchase to lodge a dispute with your credit card company.
goingup

Post by goingup »

I'm still trying to understand why one would purchase $1,700 in gift cards.
prudent

Post by prudent »

goingup wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 am I'm still trying to understand why one would purchase $1,700 in gift cards.
As mentioned above, one reason is to reach the threshold on a new credit card in order to receive a sign-up bonus.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

You might check with your home owner's/renter's insurance policy. Gift cards are often seen as cash-equivalents, so you might be able to file a stolen gift card claim with your insurance like you would if cash were stolen. There will be limits, so you might not be able to file a claim for the whole amount if this is over your policy limits. And your insurance might not cover such a claim, but it's worth digging out the policy and taking a look at it.

Of course, proceed with caution if you are in an area where insurers are trying to shed risk by getting rid of as many policies as they can, as any claims can be used to shed the policy. It's not worth the $1,700 in that case.

And as others have said, don't stock-pile gift cards beyond the guarantee date in the future.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

Updating my post

I called the credit card company that I used to purchase these gcs

It turns out this was a business credit card. AMEX Delta Sky Miles card. The csr transferred me to insurance department which I did not know existed

Anyway they took down my information and they said they will call back

I have never heard of insurance department in a credit card company. I think it is because this is a business card?

Anyway I am waiting for an email/call
delamer

Post by delamer »

misterno wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am Updating my post

It turns out this was a business credit card. AMEX Delta Sky Miles card. The csr transferred me to insurance department which I did not know existed

I have never heard of insurance department in a credit card company. I think it is because this is a business card?

You didn't know you were using a credit card that was for business use, not personal use?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

misterno wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am Updating my post

Not sure about your exact situation, but in the case of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card, when I had a travel related claim to file, as part of the card's travel delay / interruption insurance coverage, Chase transferred me to the insurer who underwrote the card's policy. The insurer is who I submitted my claim to. They reviewed things, including asking for additional documentation, and ultimately sent me a check once they determined that my situation was covered by the card's policy.

Hope this helps.

Edit: In answer to your question, no, I don't think the insurance "department" is specific to you holding a business card.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

The risk of manufactured spending.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I am truly sorry for your situation. With so many things in life it's just not worth the savings. It often adds an element of risk. Often a small risk but it's a risk. This is a good reminder to everybody that participates in these things. Buyer beware!

I truly hope it works out but I don't have a good feeling about it. Plus, the best case is you get your money back but spend a bunch of time and anguish worrying about it. Not worth the 5 or 10% savings in my opinion.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Its never a good idea to buy gift cards online that you don't plan on using immediately. Way to easy for scams or fraud.

I have successfully used a $500 lowes card bought off of a site listed on giftcardgranny for around $450 but I was less than 4 hours between purchase and redemption. I figured I would have credit card charge back protection for that time frame if it didn't work out well.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm sorry this happened to you. I have bought large quantities of discounted gift cards online (while remodeling, for large purchases) and worried something like this could happen. It reminds me in trying to save money to be aware of potential pitfalls that could be very costly in the long run. I hope it works out for you.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

cherijoh wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 am I think you only have 60 days from purchase to lodge a dispute with your credit card company.
The 60 days starts to run from the time the billing statement was sent, not from the date of purchase.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... rd-charges
cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic »

Hello

Sorry to hear about your issue.. good luck with your credit card company.
Several of the gift card re-sell sites have very recently updated the guarantee and now offer a 12 month guarantee... I won't advertise who does this, but just do a search and you will find them.

This is a huge improvement over the typical 45 or 60 day guarantee offered on many sites.
:sharebeer

I purchase restaurant cards and then carefully track them with email folders or a smart phone apps designed for that purpose.
A 12 month guarantee removes much of the risk and allows me to take my wife/family to dinner at a nice chain place, and save 15% or more.

I use gift cards quite often and try very hard to purchase them with a specific need in mind and to spend them very quickly. I have ordered E-gift cards while in a store and then walked around shopping waiting for the card I need to use at that store to show up in my email inbox and then immediately use the full value. Zero risk, and savings captured.

Hope this helps .......buy and hold ...........is not a good strategy for internet re-sold gift cards.

:oops:

CPU
denovo

Post by denovo »

greg24 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 am The risk of manufactured spending.
+1
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

I am the OP and I used AMEX Delta Sky Miles to purchase these safeway gcs

Here is the response I got after claiming for the theft of these gcs
-------------------------------

RE: Product: Purchase Protection
Claim Number:xxx
Incident Date: November 24, 2016
Dear xxx
Thank you for your participation in Purchase Protection. We are writing to notify you of the
status of your claim.
What is the status of your claim?
Your claim has been reviewed and is being denied as detailed below. Your claim is now
considered closed.
Why was my claim denied?
Please find the reason for denial of your claim below.
Under the PURCHASES NOT COVERED section of Purchase Protection, it states: The
following purchases are not covered: ..."1. travelers checks, tickets of any kind, negotiable
instruments (including, but not limited to, gift certificates, gift cards and gift checks), cash
or its equivalent;"
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

I'm sorry this happened. If it's any silver lining, your experience will prevent me from making the same mistake.