Warm Place for Thanksgiving family reunion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Theseus

Warm Place for Thanksgiving family reunion

Post by Theseus »

We are trying for a family vacation for people of 12. Due to Zica concerns for one family member, we have to be in the USA. Our idea is to rent a house or villa for one week (our family gets along well and no issues spending a week together). We are looking at Miami or Southern California. We will have members ranging from 12 years to 78 years old.

I am wondering if bogleheads have any recommendations for other areas where we have enough to do during the day. So that we don't have to spend the entire week the in-house. We are looking to spend about $7000 to rent a villa or a home.
Watty

Re: Warm Place for Thanksgiving family reunion

Post by Watty »

It is a bit late to be planning a big get together like that.

Air travel during the holidays can be a nightmare and expensive so finding a place with lots of flights would be a good idea and so people can find reasonable flights and recover better if a flight is missed or canceled.

If someone is on a tight schedule and has to fly on specific days they might have to pay a lot to buy a ticket this late to fly to a destination city like Miami or San Diego for Thanksgiving weekend.

Thinking outside the box Dallas is a hub for several airlines so that might have easy access for most people. I'm not real familiar with Dallas but as I recall there are a number a lakes around Dallas where you might be able to rent a house and there should be plenty to do in a large city like that.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

The Phoenix area would be a possibility as well. There are plenty of activities and events going on during the winter months.

Also, look into the Vegas area. Could find a place in Summerlin, flights are cheap and plentiful. Plenty of hiking and other things to do that do not involve the strip.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Puerto Rico. Some friends took a spontaneous vacation there when they didn't receive passports back for a planned trip to India - you don't need a passport for Puerto Rico and they had a nice family vacation, didn't waste their vacations from work. Have fun!

PS Whoops - just saw your mention of having to stay in the US. But maybe PR could still be an option, and warm.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

alisa4804 wrote:Puerto Rico. Some friends took a spontaneous vacation there when they didn't receive passports back for a planned trip to India - you don't need a passport for Puerto Rico and they had a nice family vacation, didn't waste their vacations from work. Have fun!

PS Whoops - just saw your mention of having to stay in the US. But maybe PR could still be an option, and warm.
With the possibility of Zika, however.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

I have traveled to Miami on Thanksgiving day, the airport was dead. I also was on a cruse ship for Thanksgiving the food was good
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

What do you all like to do? That will help narrow it down.

If you like golf & nature, Hilton Head might be a good choice.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Theseus wrote:We are trying for a family vacation for people of 12. Due to Zica concerns for one family member, we have to be in the USA. Our idea is to rent a house or villa for one week (our family gets along well and no issues spending a week together). We are looking at Miami or Southern California.
Zika and Miami https://www.cdc.gov/zika/intheus/florida-update.html
FrugalConsultant

Post by FrugalConsultant »

My family has spent Thanksgiving for several years at Siesta Key on the Gulf coast. Fly into Tampa. It's relatively quiet and inexpensive that time of year. We rent on or near the beach, and the younger ones use rental bicycles to get around.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

runner3081 wrote: Also, look into the Vegas area. Could find a place in Summerlin, flights are cheap and plentiful. Plenty of hiking and other things to do that do not involve the strip.
Often not that warm in Vegas that time of the year. Avg 63F on Thanksgiving, 43F at night. We are going to be there to visit family.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/las-v ... her/329506

Would help to know what area is geographically closer for OP's family. We went to Florida's gulf coast last year and had a great time in Tampa and Sarasota. Also snorkeled with manatees.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Palm Springs was fun. I made a giant turkey on the grill when the oven broke. Great hiking, too!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

FrugalConsultant wrote:My family has spent Thanksgiving for several years at Siesta Key on the Gulf coast. Fly into Tampa. It's relatively quiet and inexpensive that time of year. We rent on or near the beach, and the younger ones use rental bicycles to get around.
Was it warm enough to swim in the gulf?
Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD »

You can get a nice AirBnB in dallas for that many people at that price for that weekend. Dallas is easily accessible from all over the country, often with direct flights.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finance-MD wrote:You can get a nice AirBnB in dallas for that many people at that price for that weekend. Dallas is easily accessible from all over the country, often with direct flights.
Dallas area may or may not be warm over thanksgiving if that matters. The weather is kind of all over the place. It snowed in 1993 and 2007.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

Houston or Austin Texas.

Perfect weather over Thanksgiving. Lots to do in both places. Convenient airports.

Barbecue for Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Visit a Whatburger!!

Happy Thanksgiving

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD »

JBTX wrote:
Finance-MD wrote:You can get a nice AirBnB in dallas for that many people at that price for that weekend. Dallas is easily accessible from all over the country, often with direct flights.
Dallas area may or may not be warm over thanksgiving if that matters. The weather is kind of all over the place. It snowed in 1993 and 2007.
Meant to say for that *week.
Warm is relative.
Avg high temp in dallas in November is 65.
In many parts of the country snow would be expected rather than the exception.
If you go very south in Texas it will be warmer, but you run a higher risk of Zika.
We spent last thanksgiving in McAllen, TX and found out the following week that Zika had made it to that area during the week we were there.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finance-MD wrote:
JBTX wrote:
Warm is relative.
If you go very south in Texas it will be warmer, but you run a higher risk of Zika.
We spent last thanksgiving in McAllen, TX and found out the following week that Zika had made it to that area during the week we were there.
I live in DFW area. Sometimes it is quite nice. Sometimes it is cool and wet and rarely we have an early sleet or snow. The average high is 65 but there is quite a bit of variation in hat average.

As to Zika, during that time of year I think the risk is lower. There are lots of pregnant people living in TX and FL even in the summer and I am not hearing of Zika outbreaks. I would think the west coast of Fl in November has a pretty low risk of Zika.
Sally

Post by Sally »

Check out Anna Maria Island, Florida gulf coast or if you want more razzmatazz try Clearwater Beach. Fly into Tampa for either...beautiful beaches, reasonable prices for rental homes, etc.
chinto

Post by chinto »

I think you can a mighty good time in New Orleans for $7000. It is a food town and cajun Thanksgiving would be awesome.
mouses

Post by mouses »

chinto wrote:I think you can a mighty good time in New Orleans for $7000. It is a food town and cajun Thanksgiving would be awesome.
+1.
Gill

Post by Gill »

FrugalConsultant wrote:My family has spent Thanksgiving for several years at Siesta Key on the Gulf coast. Fly into Tampa. It's relatively quiet and inexpensive that time of year. We rent on or near the beach, and the younger ones use rental bicycles to get around.
Siesta is not quiet and inexpensive at Thanksging. I'm quite sure you'd never find reasonable air fare or accommodations at this late date.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Thank you all for great suggestions. We are a little late because I almost booked for the entire family in Jamaica. And then this Zika issue came up. We don't need it to be super warm. We just don't want to be cold entire time. Mid to high 60s is fine.

I am seeing three options from what everyone is describing.

1. Southern California
2. Texas - I have always wanted to go to Austin
3. Arizona

Unfortunately Miami is out due to Zika and I assume most of the Florida too. The person going is very nervous about zika (I don't blame her as this will be first child for her).

I will have to check what can be done. Otherwise we will all be home watching football and looking at black Friday deals. :)
GenXer

Post by GenXer »

North Coast San Diego: Oceanside, Cardiff, Carlsbad. Lots of places on or near the beach. Tons to do. Might not be "warm warm" but definitely warm enough to be outside on the beach (60s to low 70s). There at Christmas last year and all the kids (ages 9-20) went into the water almost every day. You can take the Coaster train into San Diego to visit the city, including the zoo. Drive north to visit San Clemente (amazing beach to walk along) and Mission San Juan Capistrano. You can also order a wonderful Thanksgiving meal to go from Seaside Market in Cardiff.
Last edited by GenXer on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

+1 for San Diego. Nice warm place with lot of fun activities.

Two nice beach front options for renting cottages/villas.
https://beachvillageatthedel.com/accomm ... -coronado/ - expensive
http://bahiahotel.com/mission-bay-san-diego/
mega317

Post by mega317 »

We've had almost 100 cases of Zika in San Diego. Presumed to be travel related but 1) it could spread by local mosquitoes, 2) most are from Mexico which is rather close, and 3) if your family member is already worried it might not make for a fun trip.

Wind can make the beach actually pretty cold even if it's in the 60s. And maybe I'm a wimp but my feet are in real pain after a minute <60 degree water. +1 zoo and +100 Seaside Market.

I spent a fun Thanksgiving in Vegas before I was old enough to drink and gamble.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think you'll want to stick to northern Florida, rather than southern Florida, if you're concerned about Zika. As far as I know, we haven't had any cases on the northern Gulf Coast outside of Texas (cases originating here, as opposed to picked up when traveling, I mean). A few suggestions: Sandestin or Destin, FL; one of the little towns along Hwy 30A, FL (Rosemary Beach to Grayton Beach); Orange Beach, AL; Amelia Island, FL; Savannah, GA; South Carolina Coast; Charleston, SC; Outerbanks, NC. Coastal Carolina might have a cold snap during Thanksgiving week, but it could also be quite warm. My other recommendations are fairly safe bets, weather-wise, for that week, i.e., it's unlikely to be freezing cold there, although it might be cool.
Tex1234

Post by Tex1234 »

Austin would be nice at Thanksgiving. Mosquitoes are typically gone by then too, and there's not currently a concern for Zika here anyway.

Check surrounding areas too. A cabin on the river in New Braunfels would be really nice.
Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD »

JBTX wrote:
Finance-MD wrote:
JBTX wrote:
Warm is relative.
I live in DFW area. Sometimes it is quite nice. Sometimes it is cool and wet and rarely we have an early sleet or snow. The average high is 65 but there is quite a bit of variation in hat average.

As to Zika, during that time of year I think the risk is lower. There are lots of pregnant people living in TX and FL even in the summer and I am not hearing of Zika outbreaks. I would think the west coast of Fl in November has a pretty low risk of Zika.
So do I