Replace car battery after X years or wait till it dies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sreynard

Re: Replace car battery after X years or wait till it dies?

Post by sreynard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Last two batteries I bought went from working fine on the drive home to dead the next morning. No warning signs at all and the weather was mild both times. The last was usually on a Battery Tender since I often ride my motorcycle to work. Didn't help at all. I knew something was wrong the last time when it gave a weak "Bleat" when I hit the door unlock button. It was too week to even light the dome light.

In both cases I was luckily stranded at home, but ended up having to take the day off. Not the end of the world, but it could have been a major inconvenience.

From now on I record the date when I buy it and get a new one the month the warranty expires. Want it to last longer? Buy one with a better warranty. If there's an option, I'll get the one with the higher cranking power. I'll save money by changing them myself, but I'm not going to sit waiting in the freezing cold for a tow truck after a long day at work. A lot of places we go don't have cellphone coverage and it can be a long walk. . . . With drunk drivers. . . No thank you.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm

gasdoc wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:When my battery is about to die, I took that to Advance auto parts to test that.
You don't always get warning that it's about to die. In my most recent case, I got ONE sluggish start before the battery was utterly useless. On numerous previous occasions, everything was hunky dory on one drive, and then nothing more than a solenoid click when trying to start the next time.
So will you replace at a given age?

gasdoc
For my wife's car, most likely yes, right around the time the 5-year warranty expires. On mine, probably not. It's my first AGM battery and is 2 sizes larger than OE. I'm not sure what to expect in terms of lifetime or failure mode. I'll probably just ride that one out and see if it does give any warning, unlike the flooded batteries I've used in the past.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm still using the original battery on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is at almost 7 years and 56k miles. This car has an AGM battery, which maybe is why it has lasted so long. This thread inspired me to start thinking about replacement, which I found out will cost about $200 for battery alone. Additionally, the installation is a bit complicated, since the battery lives under the front passenger seat! I will have to procure some tools I don't currently own in order to perform the swap.

Here is a video showing the odd location of the battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzffkQRZtE

To get the battery out, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward and up. However, all the seat controls are electric, so if the battery dies, then you are forced to unbolt the seat to get it out of the way. What an "interesting" design!

I am thankful this thread came along and forced me to learn about my car's battery before an emergency struck.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm

sport wrote:In a previous life, I was an auto battery engineer. The length of time a battery will last depends mostly time, mileage, and the ratings of the battery (a higher rated battery will last longer). However, this is mostly beside the point. The cost and inconvenience of being stuck when the battery dies is much worse than not getting the full life out of the battery. Generally, for an original equipment battery, I would replace it after 5 years of low mileage use, 4 years of average mileage use, and 3 years of high mileage use. It should also be understood that high temperatures shorten battery life. However, you find out about your weak battery when the weather turns cold and the engine is more difficult to start (oil thickens at low temperature and battery output drops with lower temperatures).
I have provided a professional opinion. Of course, you can wait for it to die if you wish.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm

The Dan wrote: To get the battery out, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward and up. However, all the seat controls are electric, so if the battery dies, then you are forced to unbolt the seat to get it out of the way. What an "interesting" design!
I didn't think even Daimler's influence on Chrysler products would come up with something that hard. Sho 'nuff, according to the online owner's manual there are remote battery jumper terminals under the hood. Jumping it long enough to move the seat would seem to be easier.

On the plus side, your battery probably runs cooler and lasts longer, and the average thief is not as likely to steal it if they can't find it.

jimb

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 pm

I live near Chicago and my car battery (interstate brand) is 6 years old
IT-DevOps System Administrator

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Replacing every few years seems wasteful to me.
I don't see why there's any need to replace early when you can just get one of these and keep it in your trunk - https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000mAh ... ry+charger

I've used mine a bunch, it's simple and works great. One charge will jump a car many times. Will also charge portable electronics and has a light.

Even if you don't want to spend $70 to get one of those, why not have your battery tested at an auto parts store before tossing it?

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Experience has taught me to replace every 4 years. Just do it.

Electron

Post by Electron » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Here are four very informative videos on the car battery that are really worth watching. I started with Part 3 which provides information on the Conductance Testers. One of the videos discusses Smart Chargers and shows the results after using the recondition mode to remove sulfate deposits.

Battery Clinic - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqs0FCJpjXU

Battery Clinic - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKSwwgY86D4

Battery Clinic - Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8sUE9XCgA

Battery Clinic - Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAyHIhK8g4

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but voltage regulator settings may also impact battery life. The lead-acid battery performs best if maintained near full charge. Overcharging and undercharging should both be avoided for maximum battery life. Undercharging may lead to sulfation.
Electron

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:51 am

As with all of these threads I highly recommend rather than taking surveys of the internet or listening to the shade tree next door you read though batteryfaq.org. This is about the most authoritative site I know of and afaik all the information is referenced from battery industry documentation.

http://batteryfaq.org/

Of particular interest in discussions about lifespan are these chapters:

Basics http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq2.htm
Extending lifespan http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq11.htm
Failure causes http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq12.htm

In the spirit of answering the poll, I replace the battery on time similar to what Sport responded above.. I have been surprised a couple times with batteries that died without warning so I usually do it at year 5 on the OEM, and then based on the warranty of replacements I buy. Note that I live in a cold climate and we drive under 10k miles per year... in the hot south I would be replacing more often.

In the grand scheme of auto expenses, $100 is not a lot to spend to avoid a costly tow.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 am

Be careful of paying too much attention to warranties. When I was in the business, I saw a battery with a 3 year warranty that was exactly the same as one with a 4 year warranty. The only real differences were the labels and the prices. The ratings mean more than the warranties.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am

I've taken the ~5 year approach, the "test it every year after x years" approach, and the "never replace until it's really, really dead" approach. I can't say which is best. That last one I let go lasted 8 years but several times near the end I needed to jump it. I think of this as a question without a "right answer." It's like a target fund vs. lifestyle strategy fund vs. roll your own. Depends on your needs what kind of person you are.

If I'm thinking about it today, I will test when I have the car serviced and around 5-6 years it's going to result in a recommendation to replace and I will. That's how it panned out last time.

Like ThankYouJack, I carry a small portable jumper in the trunk which I find handy for many uses. I charge it twice a year (Spring and Fall). Even with a new battery, you never know if you might need a jump or to help someone out. Much simpler than using cables alone (finding a donor car and depending on where your car is, can be tricky to get positioned so cables will reach). I put these new jumper units in the category of better living through modern technology.

A word about battery warranties. Have you ever had to use one? I did one time. Battery died somewhere in year 4 of a 5 year warranty. Turns out you only get reimbursed for the last bit of life use you lost. It was literally pennies. Well, maybe literally dollars but not many. Glad I didn't pay for that warranty.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:Like ThankYouJack, I carry a small portable jumper in the trunk which I find handy for many uses. I charge it twice a year (Spring and Fall). Even with a new battery, you never know if you might need a jump or to help someone out. Much simpler than using cables alone (finding a donor car and depending on where your car is, can be tricky to get positioned so cables will reach). I put these new jumper units in the category of better living through modern technology.
This brings up another subject. The space inside a battery above the liquid is actually filled with an explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gasses. Whenever jumper cables, or booster batteries are used (or when installing a new battery), there is almost always a spark when these things are connected and disconnected. Usually there are no problems, so we become complacent. However, sparks and explosive gas is a bad combination and people have been seriously injured. ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN WORKING WITH AN AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY.

Electron

Post by Electron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Here is an article that may explain why car batteries sometimes fail with little apparent warning. As a battery ages, the cold cranking amperage remains relatively high. The battery capacity, however, declines over time and may not be noticed by the car owner. See Figures 5 and 6.

Battery capacity is typically specified by the Reserve Capacity (RC) which is the runtime in minutes at a steady discharge of 25 amps.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... resistance

"CCA tends to remain high while the capacity drops with aging."

"This demonstrates that starter batteries fail mainly due to capacity fade rather than low CCA or elevated internal resistance."
Electron

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Electron wrote:Here is an article that may explain why car batteries sometimes fail with little apparent warning. As a battery ages, the cold cranking amperage remains relatively high. The battery capacity, however, declines over time and may not be noticed by the car owner. See Figures 5 and 6.

Battery capacity is typically specified by the Reserve Capacity (RC) which is the runtime in minutes at a steady discharge of 25 amps.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... resistance

"CCA tends to remain high while the capacity drops with aging."

"This demonstrates that starter batteries fail mainly due to capacity fade rather than low CCA or elevated internal resistance."
I don't agree with this conclusion. Looking at the data presented, I would conclude that reserve capacity and CCA both decrease over time. There does not seem to be any reason to blame loss of CCA on loss of capacity. What the author does not mention is that the CCA test is a 30 second test. So, it stands to reason that if a battery reserve capacity is compromised, that it will not provide as much current for 30 seconds as a new battery. He also neglects to mention the effects of grid corrosion that gradually occurs in normal use. When the grids in the positive plates are gradually converted from Pb to PbO2, the conductivity of the grid is deceased, which causes a drop in CCA independent of any changes in reserve capacity.

When I was in that business, my company put dozens of batteries on life test in actual vehicle service, keeping track of time and mileage. This was in a commercial fleet of vehicles that received regular service. When the batteries eventually failed, we got them back, cut them open, and inspected them for cause of failure. Grid corrosion was the most common failure mode. I personally witnessed the "autopsy" of these batteries.

canderson

Post by canderson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm

If you own a Toyota, the original battery will most likely die 38 months in.

We had ours die on our 38 month old RAV4 last weekend and the AAA guy said he replaces about 10/week that are all the same age.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm sort of dumbfounded that people are only getting 3 (or 3.5) years out of car batteries. My Subaru is 6.5 years old and still on the original battery. My last car was at nine years on the original when I sold it. My son's car was at 7 years on the original when it was totaled.

I thought about replacing the battery in my Subaru on a preemptive basis before last winter, but I have jumper cables and an AAA membership. Intellectually, I understand that replacing it at 6 years before it goes kaput really doesn't cost much money compared to letting it die a year or two later. Even replacing it at 5 years isn't that expensive. But it still seems wasteful to me. Winter will be here again in four or five months, and I'll struggle with the decision again.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Battery lifetime is highly dependent on climate. Hot weather kills auto batteries. The hotter it gets, and the longer it stays hot, the shorter the lifetime of auto batteries, all other things being equal.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 pm

I just prophylactically replaced the battery in the Ford Escape DD will be taking to her freshman year of college. The new warranty is two years. I put it on my calendar to change again in 8/2019, before she heads back for her junior year. The price- $117, installed. Seems like a small price to pay to expect that she will get through the next two years without being stranded. My guess is that the battery would have died as she was about to finally come home for the weekend.

gasdoc

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm

So for hot climates like mine, buy the battery with the longest full-replacement warranty? (Interstate?)

And replace it once it's out of warranty?
sport wrote:Battery lifetime is highly dependent on climate. Hot weather kills auto batteries. The hotter it gets, and the longer it stays hot, the shorter the lifetime of auto batteries, all other things being equal.
Last edited by ncbill on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 pm

sam's club can check the remaining juice, for free :) Good Luck !

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm

For an OEM battery I'd get it checked annually after 4 years at Auto Zone (free). If it's weak or fails then I replace it with one of Auto Zone's platinum/3-year warranty batteries. For a non OEM battery I'd check annually after 3 years.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

ncbill wrote:So for hot climates like mine, buy the battery with the longest full-replacement warranty? (Interstate?)

And replace it once it's out of warranty?
sport wrote:Battery lifetime is highly dependent on climate. Hot weather kills auto batteries. The hotter it gets, and the longer it stays hot, the shorter the lifetime of auto batteries, all other things being equal.
It's a good idea to buy better batteries than cheap ones in most circumstances. Go according to ratings, not warranty. The life expectancy is also heavily dependent on mileage. If you have a vehicle with a lot of vibration, other considerations apply.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 pm

This thread motivated me to get out there and replace my battery. My car (2011 Jeep) still had the original battery, and it seemed to be working fine, but I am having an issue with the power door locks where sometimes I can't get them to unlock when I press the button on the driver's door panel. I thought maybe the battery is low on juice, and can't run the door locks so good when the car is off. I figured it can't hurt to replace the battery and rule out my Weak Battery Theory. Replacement was a breeze, and only cost me $200 (it's a fancy AGM battery - NAPA Legend Premium). Not sure if it will solve my intermittent door lock issue, but at least now I know the battery is good.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 am

jimb_fromATL wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm
I've driven over a million miles and have usually owned three vehicles for the last few decades. We have usually rolled a new vehicle into the family fleet about every 5 to 7 years, keeping the old ones anywhere from 15 to 20 years.

There may be a difference in your use patterns. Our second and third vehicles are more likely to go several days between uses rather than driven every day. And the climate may be more favorable in some places compared to the hot summers and hot, heavy slow-moving traffic, and then sometimes pretty cold winter days here.
Our experiences are surprisingly similar. I also have more than a million miles on vehicles I've owned and maintained. Plus we had 3 vehicles in our 2 driver family for 25 years . Though down to 2 for the last several years. But our second vehicle is the truck, which regularly sits for a week or more without being used.

It isn't as hot where I am as Atlanta. Average highs are about 3 degrees lower in the summer, though record highs are very similar.

I don't know if it compares to your situation, but the vehicles where I'm getting 7 year battery lives were/are both from the 90s and therefore had very low parasitic loads, especially when compared to battery capacity. The Accord battery that failed after 3 years was the exact opposite - higher loads and very low capacity battery.

cynmarq

Post by cynmarq » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:39 pm

I learned my lesson last week. I forgot about my battery. It's the original put into use in Fall 2008. On July 1 of 2018 (after 10 years of use) after getting off the freeway and approaching my destination all power went out: the car engine died, along with power steering, etc. (I am really happy this did not happen on the freeway.) According to the shop where my car was towed, the alternator had been working so hard to keep this battery charged, that it burned out. Replacement of alternator and battery cost $875.00 The tow was on my insurance. The 2 hour wait for the tow was on me. I really hope you can learn from my experience. :)

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm

I only replace car battery when it is dead. But I always have battery jumper, which is the insurance, in my car.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:20 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:08 am
You don't need your receipt to return your battery to Costco. They will look it up by you membership number. They will also give you the core credit refund when you return the defective battery; you don't need to choose between them.
Yes, but then you have to pay for a Costco membership. Instead, just use a Costco cash card to buy the battery, and no membership is required. While you are at Costco, you can use the cash card to buy anything else you like as well. Any member can buy a cash card, they are intended as gifts too.

Keep the receipt with your car receipts and you will be fine when you need it (including to get the $15+tax core charge back).

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm

cynmarq wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:39 pm
I learned my lesson last week. I forgot about my battery. It's the original put into use in Fall 2008. On July 1 of 2018 (after 10 years of use) after getting off the freeway and approaching my destination all power went out: the car engine died, along with power steering, etc. (I am really happy this did not happen on the freeway.) According to the shop where my car was towed, the alternator had been working so hard to keep this battery charged, that it burned out. Replacement of alternator and battery cost $875.00 The tow was on my insurance. The 2 hour wait for the tow was on me. I really hope you can learn from my experience. :)
I wouldn't simply blame the alternator on the battery. How many miles do you have? Alternators routinely die around 100k and 10 years of use often pass that. It's possible the worn out alternator killed the battery. $875 is expensive for an alternator and battery. AAA will replace the battery on the highway for $100. I remember when you could buy an alternator for less than $100 about a decade ago.

OP, test the battery with a full load tester (500-1000A!) or one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive ... 0015PI7A4/ or given how old this thread is, let us know what happened. I would still be a little nervous even if the tester told me it was still good after 10 years, but I'd be even more worried if a younger battery failed the test.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 pm

I do not replace a car battery until it fails. Due to my frugal nature, I can't throw something out that has life left in it. Just a couple weeks ago, 4 year old battery failed with some pro-rata warranty left on it; fortunately it was in my garage when this happened.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Regardless what battery I’ve ever bought, they only seem to last about 4 years. The moment I can feel it start to drag on a start, I verify how long ago I bought it and then change it...

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

cynmarq wrote:
If the car is running off of the alternator alone, shouldn't a dashboard warning light come on?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm
cynmarq wrote:
If the car is running off of the alternator alone, shouldn't a dashboard warning light come on?
Yes....it sounds like maybe the shop that cynmarq used pulled a fast one.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 pm

I agree that the alternator story sounds fishy... And suspiciously expensive. I have never replaced a battery before it failed. My Subaru dealer recommended that I replace the battery in my 2011 Legacy almost three years ago, and it's still working at 7.5 years old. If it doesn't start one morning, I'll jump it and drive to Sam's Club and get a new one.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Most auto parts stores test those for free. I would test it at regular intervals after a certain number of years. Probably in spring and fall before the extreme seasons. (In my part of the country). Definitely don't do nothing until it dies, best case you waste part of a weekend or have to use part of a vacation day so you aren't actually saving money. Anecdotally, my battery failed in 10 degree weather and all of the roadside service guys were busy pulling people out of snow banks. Not fun.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 pm

A number of posters have stated that they wait for a battery to fail before they replace it. IMO this is a false economy.
1. If the battery is old, you will probably need to replace it before too long anyway.
2. If the battery fails, you will have to deal with the inconvenience and cost of the failure. This might include a tow or road service. It might fail in a dangerous neighborhood.
3. A new battery is not all that expensive. My independent mechanic will install a premium grade battery for about $100. Original equipment grade is about $80.

Some posters state that AAA will replace a battery. Yes, they will. But how good a battery do they provide for the price? A premium grade battery will provide more service for the money. AFAIK, the AAA batteries are not premium grade.

Before I retired, I was a design and development engineer for a manufacturer of automotive batteries. The above is a professional opinion.

snowblinded

Post by snowblinded » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 pm

If you have a second car and a flexible job and/or partner where you can jumpstart yourself if things go south--wait until it fails.

Most of my batteries have failed in extreme conditions inside my own garage or within a mile of my house with friendly people nearby (for example, soccer practice). Multiple short trips seem to be the key. On the first jumpstart, if it has been long enough, I just pull it, drive the other vehicle to the auto parts store, swap in the new one in 30 minutes. Worst was on vacation when I got a jump from the lodge owner, and replaced it in the auto parts store lot with some tools and help from one of the bored workers.

If you have no backup or redundancy, and drive sporadically, then I'd probably be more proactive.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:17 am

I replace ours about every 4 years. I'd rather not wait for it to die on me or my wife.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 am

wander wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm
I only replace car battery when it is dead. But I always have battery jumper, which is the insurance, in my car.
If you ever have the battery discharge completely and a couple of the cells reverse polarity, this won't help you. You'll be able to start the car, and it will die the second you unclip the jumper.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 am

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm
Yes....it sounds like maybe the shop that cynmarq used pulled a fast one.
It's usually not the generator (motor) part of the alternator that fails when you have a weak battery. It's the Voltage regulator. On a few cars, this is a module that "plugs into" or attaches to the cap of the alternator, and can be replaced for less than $100. On most cars, it's integrated into the alternator and the whole thing has to be replaced as a unit.

The shop may have pulled a fast one. But I have experienced alternator failure due to a bad battery myself.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:42 am

MichCPA wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 pm
Most auto parts stores test those for free. I would test it at regular intervals after a certain number of years. Probably in spring and fall before the extreme seasons. (In my part of the country). Definitely don't do nothing until it dies, best case you waste part of a weekend or have to use part of a vacation day so you aren't actually saving money. Anecdotally, my battery failed in 10 degree weather and all of the roadside service guys were busy pulling people out of snow banks. Not fun.
This also seems like a false economy. The testing that auto parts stores do has to be done with the battery out of the car. You're worried about wasting part of a weekend if it dies, and to avoid that you're spending several hours removing, testing, and reinstalling your battery without replacing it, twice a year?

selters

Post by selters » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 am

As a European, one thing that strikes me about Americans is their obsession with very frequent oil changes and religiously changing car batteries every 3-5 years.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 am

selters wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 am
As a European, one thing that strikes me about Americans is their obsession with very frequent oil changes and religiously changing car batteries every 3-5 years.
Simple explanations for both.

Oil changes: European cars in general have deeper sumps than American cars do, so the oil doesn't wear as quickly. My wife's Lexus has a 3.5L engine that takes 4.7 quarts of oil, and calls for 5k changes with conventional oil. I use high-quality synthetic and go 10k. My BMW has a 3.0L engine that takes 6.9 quarts of oil and requires a high-quality synthetic. The one I had previously was a 2.5L that took 6.5 quarts. It calls for ~15k, which is what it gets. Smaller engine, almost 50% more oil.

Batteries: Not a whole lot of places in Western Europe regularly get to -25 C. But most of the northern US does. Nor do a whole lot of places in Europe surpass 40 C regularly. But that's common in the southern US. Hell, there's places in the southwest where it's not unusual to be that almost that hot at night. Extreme temperatures are hard on batteries.

Living in the midwest, and replacing my batteries only when they show signs of weakness or have actually failed, I have only once in almost 30 years driving had a battery last 6 years. 5 years is about the max, and I had one car that chewed through them every 6 months or so. When the 4-year-old battery in my wife's Lexus failed a couple of years ago on a particularly cold day, the auto parts store I replaced it at had over 300 cores in the back from other folks that had replaced their battery in the past 24 hours. I'll go out on a limb and say none of those were planned, and the majority were less than 5 years old.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:51 am

selters wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 am

Do battteries have a different failure rate in Europe?

My car wouldn’t start the other day due to a failed battery (5 years old) - I immediately replaced my other car’s battery as well since it was getting up there in age.

I now have 3 rules for car care:

1) new tires every 5 years, regardless of mileage if under warranty.
2) Brake fluid every 2 years.
3) battery replaced at 4 years.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 am
Living in the midwest, and replacing my batteries only when they show signs of weakness or have actually failed, I have only once in almost 30 years driving had a battery last 6 years. 5 years is about the max, and I had one car that chewed through them every 6 months or so. When the 4-year-old battery in my wife's Lexus failed a couple of years ago on a particularly cold day, the auto parts store I replaced it at had over 300 cores in the back from other folks that had replaced their battery in the past 24 hours. I'll go out on a limb and say none of those were planned, and the majority were less than 5 years old.
It never ceases to amaze me how different the individual experiences of forum members are. Not just on batteries, but on pretty much everything. :D

I'm also in flyover country and replace batteries when they give indications of failing. Lives of the last five batteries I replaced: 7,7,8,9,3.

The two batteries currently installed are at 3 and 9.

I wonder how much of this has to do with parasitic drains. All of the 7+ year batteries are/were in 90s-era vehicles with very little in the way of options that would suck power while the vehicle was off. The 3 year battery was in a 2013 Accord. Parasitic drains may have been aggravated by the fact it was about the size of a motorcycle battery; I assume to save weight. :annoyed

Another factoid: the vehicle driven the least (~3k/year) has had the longest-lived batteries.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 am
wander wrote:
If you ever have the battery discharge completely and a couple of the cells reverse polarity, this won't help you. You'll be able to start the car, and it will die the second you unclip the jumper.
That problem will never happen to me as I will investigate the problem at the first time when I need to use the battery jumper.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 am

wander wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am
lazydavid wrote:
wander wrote:
That problem will never happen to me as I will investigate the problem at the first time when I need to use the battery jumper.
That makes no sense whatsoever. If the reason you have to use the battery jumper is because you've had cell reversal, then by definition that problem will happen to you.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:54 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 am
wander wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am
lazydavid wrote:
wander wrote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. If the reason you have to use the battery jumper is because you've had cell reversal, then by definition that problem will happen to you.
Help me to understand what you mean by "cell reversal". I fully understand how internal damage can short one or more of the 6 cells in the typical 12v auto battery, but have no idea what you mean by "cell reversal". Can you possibly link to a reference that actually describes such an incident?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:13 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:54 am
Help me to understand what you mean by "cell reversal". I fully understand how internal damage can short one or more of the 6 cells in the typical 12v auto battery, but have no idea what you mean by "cell reversal". Can you possibly link to a reference that actually describes such an incident?
Brief description here:

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-battery-hav ... multimeter

Basically a healthy cell should read at 2.1V. Reversal occurs when a cell is significant weaker than the others around it, and there is current flow. Once the remaining charge is depleted, the cell is essentially charged with the polarity reversed, which obviously it's not designed to do. Thus, if you read the voltage of that individual cell, you will get some low negative value like -0.2V. The battery goes almost instantly from appearing to work normally to being utterly useless.

I've seen it happen most frequently when there is parasitic drain while the car is off, or when an alternator has failed and the car keeps operating on the battery.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:13 am
Thus, if you read the voltage of that individual cell, you will get some low negative value like -0.2V.
How did you measure the voltage of individual cells?