Non Stick frying pan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Non Stick frying pan

Post by EnjoyIt »

Bogleheds,
I need a little consumer advice on purchasing a good non stick frying pan. I cook eggs at least 3 times a week and need a frying pan that will hold up to this constant abuse of sticky eggs and cheese. I have tried upgrading to Calphalon with fantastic results at first but after about 2 years it turned into junk. I used their lifetime warranty and had it replaced to have the exact same thing happen in under 1 year. Generally I clean the pan after using dawn, warm water and a soft sponge.

BTW, the Calphalon pan cooked great, evenly heated without any issues until the non-stick layer finally came off.

Calphalon wasn't cheap but at this point I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money for a good nonstick pan.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Pajamas

Re: Non Stick frying pan

Post by Pajamas »

It helps to have the pan hot before adding the eggs and to use a little oil, cooking spray, butter, etc. The non-stick pans eventually wear out and have to be replaced. If you get a nonstick pan and use a silicone spatula and cook only only eggs in it, the finish will last longer.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

We've had good luck with the second place one from Equipment Review: Could We Find a Good Nonstick Skillet? | Cook's Country. No experience with #1 but it might be a match for your use. Good luck!
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

I have had Calphalon and Costco nonstick pans, they always scratch. Cooks Illustrated test kitchens estimate that you will have to throw out a nonstick in a year or two, so recommend not spending a lot.They tested a lot of nonsticks.

I don't trust nonstick; anything that can scratch off can get in your food. Or if the pan overheats and smokes, you may actually be vaporizing the chemicals and breathing them.

I use a regular All-Clad frypan, just spray it with nonstick spray such as Pam (I use Costco's brand) and I make omelettes every day with no problem. Trick with the omlette is to use only a touch of water, any more and it will stick.

I only use All-Clad and my trusty Lodge cast iron for cooking anything. Just use oil or spray and you will be fine. I looked into the "Greenpan" ceramics, and people comment on line that they scratch easily too, so who needs it?
Last edited by 4nwestsaylng on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teague

Post by Teague »

They're all terrible, every single one of them, at least as far as durability goes.

I and others have been down the road you seek to follow. It leads only to frustration.

Buy a decent but not expensive one at Sam's Club or similar, and consider it disposable.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the nonstick pans of our lives.
Semper Augustus
tj

Post by tj »

I ordered some pans on Amazon and the one I use frequently is already losing some of it's finish after 2 months. It's frustrating.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

We use 2 Tefal non stick pans for more then 1 year and are pretty happy with them. But in general all non sticks won't last that long, expect to have to change them after 1 - 3 years. Therefore I would suggest you buy decent but not too expensive ones. No matter what they write I would also not put them in the dishwasher.
Also keep in mind they are not made for very high heat.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Get yourself a good cast iron pan, use a little oil and it's totally non stick even with eggs. Iron is better for you than aluminum as well.

Lodge is common, here is the fancy brand

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

every non-stick pan will eventually wear out. I started with Calphalon, I've since moved everything up to all-clad, but I can already tell that my 7" fry skillet is wearing out. Needs a bit more oil to be non-stick these days.

Find a good restaurant supply store and see what they have. You really don't need name brand.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

sunny_socal wrote:Get yourself a good cast iron pan, use a little oil and it's totally non stick even with eggs. Iron is better for you than aluminum as well.

Is this really true? do cast iron pans really not stick with just some spray oil on it?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Teague wrote:Buy a decent but not expensive one at Sam's Club or similar, and consider it disposable.
This is what to do. They are cheap. Buy a few of them at the same time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

EnjoyIt wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get yourself a good cast iron pan, use a little oil and it's totally non stick even with eggs. Iron is better for you than aluminum as well.

Is this really true? do cast iron pans really not stick with just some spray oil on it?
cast iron pans are non-stick if they are properly seasoned. Another option is carbon steel pans. Here's a link to an America's Test Kitchen video on carbon steel pans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
Wiki
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

The best value and possibly even best not considering value non-stick frypan I have used is one from Ikea. They have some pretty cheap but junky models. However, there is a somewhat more expensive model that's about $35 and it's been great for us. Our first one went for about 12 years before we bought the replacement. The new one seems to have a tougher coating and it should possibly last longer.

As with all Teflon-type non-stick pans, don't use metal utensils and don't overheat the pan. That will shorten the life by a lot.

Cast iron is great for non-stick too but it is a lot heavier and more cumbersome to deal with. It also requires more maintenance. I use ours for doing pan steaks and other such things. I use the Ikea pan for eggs and other similar things where I don't need to develop a fond.
It’s not just that facts don’t seem to matter anymore. It’s that it doesn’t seem to matter that facts don’t matter.
FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock »

After 30+ years of frustration with "non stick" pan failures we switched to carbon steel.
Matfer Bourgeat, 3 mm thick.
Works great.
Final solution.

We also have a Le Creuset cast iron skillet. I prefer them over Lodge (which we also own) due to their edge shape. I find the shallower sides easier to work with on the Le Creuset.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

+1
Switched to cast iron ten years ago. Simple. Versatile. Cheap. Forever.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Cast iron. Lodge is great and inexpensive. It will last forever.

I cook eggs on mine every day. 10 inch is nice for eggs but a bit small if you cook for a family regularly. 14 inch is nice for big meals but quite heavy. 12 inch I have found to be the most versatile. I think both amazon and walmart have these. I also see them alot at yard or estate sales. Even if it looks warn out, it is not and can be seasoned back to use.

This is how I keep mine: 1. Never wash with soap. 2. Season after use with some type of oil. Can be vegetable, bacon grease, peanut oil, etc. Olive oil works but smokes at lower temps than the others. 3. Electric stoves and cast iron can be tricky as it takes forever to heat up evenly. Works much better on gas. 4. Don't be afraid to use it on an outdoor grill. Works great. 5. To wash, wipe out left over food with towel (paper or otherwise), and bit of water and clean scrub brush if necessary, place back on stove on medium to warm up, when warm add a bit of oil and spread evenly, allow to cool before putting away. 6. You will find most times you dont need spray before cooking if you do above but it doesnt hurt. Just a bit. Again the reminder on olive oils and smoke as pam or other sprays have an olive oil variant.

To re- season if your wife refuses to follow above and uses soap every time she uses the pan you can use the oil method above but will take quite a bit of oil to season and may require more than one application.

Lastly, non-stick pans suck.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Agree. I bought an All Clad mistakenly thinking it would last. Despite giving it excellent care, it's no better than the cheap ones. I'm about to pitch it.
saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree »

I'm a huge fan of cast iron and even wrote a post about sanding an inexpensive Lodge skillet to make it like the smooth "machined" bottom skillets that cost about $200. This makes it a bit more non-stick. However, I have to admit that even cast iron is not as non-stick as many claim, even properly seasoned. For eggs, which I cook daily, I find the cheapest non-stick pan (I think I paid $7 on amazon last time) and toss when it stops being non-stick. I find a cheap non-stick skillet lasts about a year.

For everything except my morning omelet with cheese, I use cast iron or my fancy all-clad. For a non-stick pan, I go cheap and disposable even though I hate cheap and disposable. There simply isn't a good alternative out there for non-stick skillets, no matter how much you pay. The second best option is cast iron but it's not quite as good.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

EnjoyIt wrote:

The hey need to be seasoned with oil. And I am not sure about cleaning. They can rust if you don't keep them dry.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I use a relatively inexpensive ceramic-coated pan just for eggs. Nothing else gets cooked in there. I gave up on the teflon ones, as even the expensive brands wouldn't last more than a year or two. Everything else gets cooked in cast iron. (For some reason, I don't like eggs cooked in cast iron. Probably just a personal thing.)
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

T-fal. We have several pans and pots. They come in both steel and in aluminum, and in several quality grades. We prefer the steel for when we use an induction countertop unit. I use mine almost daily for eggs. No problems with the coating after several years.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Use a wooden spoon rather than a metal one? :happy

Tim
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

It's a real stretch to call cast-iron 'non-stick' for eggs.

I love my cast iron skillet, and yes, I can in definitely get it to be as non-stick as possible while cooking eggs, with almost no egg sticking to the surface after I'm done cooking.

But doing so requres : a WELL seasoned skillet, preheated pan (takes longer than you think with cast-iron), and most importantly, a LOT more oil than you'd likely use in any non-stick pan. (Most good new nonstick pans can in fact cook eggs nonstick with zero oil.) And there's always a real chance that you'll have to reseason the cast iron after the eggs if you go too light on the oil, as then the eggs will pull off most of the seasoning in the process. Happens to me about half the times I make eggs in my skillet.

I'd say it's really a stretch to call it non stick when you're using so much oil and heat that in fact, ANY surface you use will be close to non stick at that point (woks, etc.)
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Teague wrote:They're all terrible, every single one of them, at least as far as durability goes.

I and others have been down the road you seek to follow. It leads only to frustration.

Buy a decent but not expensive one at Sam's Club or similar, and consider it disposable.

I agree, but my approach is to use cast iron exclusively. People did cook eggs successfully before the invention of Teflon. Pre heat the pan, use plenty of oil, and let the eggs cook before disturbing them. They will then separate almost on their own, preserving the seasoning of your cast iron. You cast iron will last you the rest of your life and you can pass it on to your kids to boot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqguaRbI0fg
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

aristotelian wrote:I agree, but my approach is to use cast iron exclusively. People did cook eggs successfully before the invention of Teflon. Pre heat the pan, use plenty of oil, and let the eggs cook before disturbing them. They will then separate almost on their own, preserving the seasoning of your cast iron. You cast iron will last you the rest of your life and you can pass it on to your kids to boot.
This guy cooks. :beer

We have the same approach in our house. Cast iron is used at nearly every meal. I prefer my cast iron for cooking scrambled eggs over any other pan I've ever owned.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

open_circuit wrote:
aristotelian wrote:I agree, but my approach is to use cast iron exclusively. People did cook eggs successfully before the invention of Teflon. Pre heat the pan, use plenty of oil, and let the eggs cook before disturbing them. They will then separate almost on their own, preserving the seasoning of your cast iron. You cast iron will last you the rest of your life and you can pass it on to your kids to boot.
This guy cooks. :beer

We have the same approach in our house. Cast iron is used at nearly every meal. I prefer my cast iron for cooking scrambled eggs over any other pan I've ever owned.
Cheers! :sharebeer

I use cast iron for just about everything other than sauces. Frying, roasting, baking (pizza, cornbread, biscuits). Do not own a single non-stick.
1reason2live4

Post by 1reason2live4 »

We have used Swiss Diamond for 10+ years and they are still like new. Just a spritz of non-stick spray and good to go. A little pricey but worth it to us. Have not found anything that will stick even when accidentally overheated.
Don't cry because it's over; smile that it happened.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

saveinvestbecomefree wrote:I'm a huge fan of cast iron and even wrote a post about sanding an inexpensive Lodge skillet to make it like the smooth "machined" bottom skillets that cost about $200.
Vintage cast is another way to get smooth cast iron. My 1940's Wagner is very smooth. Not sure what they're selling for these days but they were creeping up at the time I bought mine years ago.
bovineplane wrote:Never wash with soap.
Modern soap is just fine on properly seasoned cast iron. Back when soap was made with lye you didn't want to use soap.
sunny_socal wrote:Lodge is common, here is the fancy brand
There seem to be a number of the latter these days: Finex, Smithey Ironware, Field Company, Borough Furnace, etc.
Last edited by takeshi on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
myleaf

Post by myleaf »

We use All Clad. But the coating degrades with time. But it comes with a lifetime warranty. Never tried to use the warranty as of yet. All Clad advises against using Non-stick spray on their pans. They claim that it builds up a coating that affects the non stick properties of the coating.
"Never met an electron I did not like"
furikake

Post by furikake »

I tried a few different non-stick pans and they were all disappointing. Then I got the cheap Costco ones, and they seem to work better than the more expensive ones I bought before. Or, if you're skillful enough, you can make stainless steel non-stick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1376ITxF1Oc
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

FiveK wrote:We've had good luck with the second place one from Equipment Review: Could We Find a Good Nonstick Skillet? | Cook's Country. No experience with #1 but it might be a match for your use. Good luck!
Based upon a previous review by America's Test Kitchen (same outfit as Cook's Country) I bought their then number one choice of T-fal (now number two on the linked list) and have been using it for three years now with not a single problem. They have held up much better than any non-stick pan I owned the previous thirty odd years.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Commercial kitchens treat teflon pans as disposable - they abuse and replace them constantly. You can stretch the life if you're careful, but all of them will lose their coating after a while. Alternately, a properly seasoned and maintained carbon steel pan is pretty nonstick, and will last forever.

I once contacted Robar about coating a stainless steel pan in their NP3 finish - they quoted me a price of $1.50 per square inch. Since they have to coat the entire pan, I estimated it as coming out to around $200 for a 10" omelette pan. I have no idea how nonstick it would be for cooking, but they did tell me that NP3 is FDA approved for food preparation, and it's proven quite durable in firearms parts which see far more heat and wear than any kitchen environment.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We purchased a nice large and deep (so it works for most everything) Tfal non-stick skillet from Costco recently. I don't remember the price but it was very reasonable, especially for the quality - typical Costco.

We've given up having all matching cookware for the reason you mention - the regularly used pieces wear out much more quickly. So we now just buy good quality replacement pieces as cheaply as possible as they wear out. When the lesser-used pieces become worn we'll consider purchasing a new set.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
mega317

Post by mega317 »

EnjoyIt wrote:Bogleheds,
I need a little consumer advice on purchasing a good non stick frying pan. I cook eggs at least 3 times a week and need a frying pan that will hold up to this constant abuse of sticky eggs and cheese. I have tried upgrading to Calphalon with fantastic results at first but after about 2 years it turned into junk. I used their lifetime warranty and had it replaced to have the exact same thing happen in under 1 year. Generally I clean the pan after using dawn, warm water and a soft sponge.

BTW, the Calphalon pan cooked great, evenly heated without any issues until the non-stick layer finally came off.

Calphalon wasn't cheap but at this point I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money for a good nonstick pan.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
You have a pan that gave you "fantastic results" and has a "lifetime warranty". Sounds like you're all set.
namekevaste

Post by namekevaste »

After several years of buying non-stick cookware, we are sold on cast iron. We have a couple of Staub cookware, but I use my Lodge skillet the most. I cook eggs all the time with very little oil that (using a silicon brush with oil on a heated pan). It is important to clean the cookware without detergent. A chainmail scrubber with a little warm water works like magic
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Teflon still releasing enough toxic chemicals into the air it kills people's birds the first several times you use it?

Looks like it:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=2874
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

If eggs are the only problem, consider poaching in stainless steel. Need the cheese, sprinkle grated stuff on top while still hot. I like stainless steel, but sure sometimes the pan qualifies as a 'soaker'. Then the scrub out qualifies as a good for me little bit of elbow grease.

-bb
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

roymeo wrote:Teflon still releasing enough toxic chemicals into the air it kills people's birds the first several times you use it?

Looks like it:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=2874
Another reason I prefer cast iron. They say Teflon is non-toxic, but I still don't like the idea of ingesting it. Laws of physics says that when it deteriorates it does not just disappear.
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

I love my cast iron dutch oven for cooking things in the oven, but stopped using my cast iron frying pan - always worried I'd drop it on my glass top range, and it takes so much longer to heat than stainless steel. Maybe if I had a gas range...
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Buy the Tramontina Proline non stick pan. If you're lucky, you can find it at Costco for $30 (they rotate their stock of Tramontina cookware). It's a high-performing, hefty pan that is cheap.

It's also the top rated pan by Sweethome. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

We have Cuisinart Green Gourmet (ceramic) frying pans. They lose their true non-stick after time but I use butter to cook eggs and coconut oil for other things.

Other cookware we have All Clad stainless (not non stick).
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

We're big fans of cast iron, but for eggs we use stainless steel. It takes a bit of oil, but once you have the process down there is little to no sticking. Preheating and temp control will give a good result. Haven't owned 'nonstick' in years.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

jayjayc wrote:Buy the Tramontina Proline non stick pan. If you're lucky, you can find it at Costco for $30 (they rotate their stock of Tramontina cookware). It's a high-performing, hefty pan that is cheap.

It's also the top rated pan by Sweethome. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/
Looks like a nice pan. They have them online for $34.99 plus $4.99 shipping.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

DSInvestor wrote:
EnjoyIt wrote:

cast iron pans are non-stick if they are properly seasoned. Another option is carbon steel pans. Here's a link to an America's Test Kitchen video on carbon steel pans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
Great video!

The Matfer Bourgeat looks great :beer
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

jezo

Post by jezo »

I have a ceramic pan that I got from TJ MAXX. It works really well my eggs never stick to the pan.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Teague wrote:They're all terrible, every single one of them, at least as far as durability goes.

+1 I go through 1 every year or two. Now I just buy a cheap one and dispose when it gets mangy.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

My experiences:

I usually just get two of the cheapest 8" non-sticks I can find and recycle them every 1-2 years. I only use these as egg pans (never high heat, only silicone spatula).
Last time I tried to find my old trusty replacement pans, the lowest prices I found were about $10/pan - way too expensive for a disposable item so I decided to give "Greenpan" a try. Utter crap. 2 months of careful use and my eggs started to stick.

Just recently decided to pick up a Calphalon with anodized aluminum coating. Great so far.

Castiron - I love cooking on cast iron, but cannot ever get eggs to work on cast iron. I either get broken eggs or brown hard crispy eggs swimming in oil.

Stainless steel - this worked with cooking spray instead of my normal "misto" or just putting down a 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Still can't keep the eggs quite as white and tender as I can with a non-stick though, but it is good enough when we visit the in-laws as they only have stainless for me when I cook breakfast (I may try butter next time on the stainless steel as the fats in the butter should work with the egg proteins better to maintain tenderness vs oil, but I won't know for sure until I try).

I cook my eggs on low or low-medium heat for over-medium/over-easy and medium heat for sunny side up. This gives me fully cooked whites and the runny yolks I desire while keeping the whites from turning tough, crunchy or browning.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I agree with the cast iron/carbon steel for the most part - these are fantastic pans that will last a lifetime and brown and sear like nothing else. However, they do require a bit more care than many people are willing to give, they are quite heavy, and they require a routine to work well for eggs.

An alternative suggestion that splits the difference - I have a hard-anodized aluminum Calphalon omelet pan that I've owned for 20 years. If I am careful to use it only for eggs, and treat it like my cast iron pans - that is, no washing with soap, just wipe it clean with a paper towel after every use, it is essentially non-stick with the tiniest bit of oil or butter. My wife likes to use cooking spray though, and she cooks a lot of the eggs in that pan, and cooking spray totally ruins it - it gets totally sticky and you have to wash it.
Splanchnic

Post by Splanchnic »

Independent George wrote:
I once contacted Robar about coating a stainless steel pan in their NP3 finish - they quoted me a price of $1.50 per square inch. Since they have to coat the entire pan, I estimated it as coming out to around $200 for a 10" omelette pan. I have no idea how nonstick it would be for cooking, but they did tell me that NP3 is FDA approved for food preparation, and it's proven quite durable in firearms parts which see far more heat and wear than any kitchen environment.
NP3!! Lol! I like your style! Why not cerakote?