Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
mrc

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by mrc »

InvestorThom wrote:It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

A guess a lot has to do with the amount of respect you have for your employer, co-workers and the amount of transition that is required.

I'm curious how folks think about the timing of giving notice.

Thanks.
Depends on the situation. If two to four weeks (depending on level) is the norm, that can change if one wanted to give a group they really know and care about more time to replace you. OTOH, if you may be shown the door that day ...
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I have retired after 35 years of Megacorp, and after 42 years in the work force. Yippie!

My retirement age is 59. I will be 59 1/2 by the end of 2017.
Last edited by Church Lady on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

InvestorThom wrote:It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

A guess a lot has to do with the amount of respect you have for your employer, co-workers and the amount of transition that is required.

Thanks.
I didn't want to put my co-workers in a bind, so I gave lots of notice.
Retirement is just a form of quitting. The notice window is very personal.

Details:
First raised the subject with my boss on March 23. In early May notified him it would be this year. In June gave the formal stake in the ground date of September 15. This enabled him to start the process of hiring a replacement. Final approval for replacement hire came through in early August, my replacement started on September 6. I declined a request to continue into October. "I'm committed to my date."

Three months of formal notice, nearly five of informal notice. My last boss was a great guy. His two predecessors would have gotten two months max.
Last edited by MichaelRpdx on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
Gort

Post by Gort »

Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Church Lady wrote:I have retired after 35 years of Megacorp, and after 42 years in the work force. Yippie!
Congratulations Church Lady!! You're added to THE LIST. Please provide date and age :mrgreen: if you're so inclined.

After 35 years of Megacorp and 42 years in the work force, enjoy your well-deserved retirement. And what will you do??

Actually, we know what you'll do: BLEND 8-)

For those who missed the other thread, Church Lady is an active blender - she's the Smoothie Queen, the Blender Queen - she just throws anything she has in the frig - I mean anything, lettuce, parsley, anything green (but NO raw chard), tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, okra :annoyed carrots, squash, pumpkin, radishes, celery, avocados, ginger roots, beets, cranberries with impunity, pecans, sunflower seeds, cashews (but NO toasted almonds), spice it up with cilantro, basil, mint, garlic and onion - and who knows, maybe even left-over Chinese food - add milk but no beer :annoyed - she just plops it all into her blender, pushes "high" and whoooosh!! blends everything into, well, some kind of concoction :shock: :shock: :beer

Her motto - Drink your greens! :D

Church Lady, here's an idea :idea: why don't you use livesoft's recipe of adding Dr. Pepper to your smoothie concoction and doing crunches with barbells in between sips - and you'll have awesome abs like livesoft 8-) :
livesoft wrote:
I want to report that oatmeal has given me awesome abs. The trick is not to use a rice cooker, but to cook oatmeal in a microwave using the following procedure:

1. Measure 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c Dr Pepper, 1/2 c water into a large glass microwave-proof bowl and set aside.
2. Go do 25 crunches with barbells in each hand held near your ears.
3. Put the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute.
4. While 3 is happening, go do another 25 crunches with barbells.
5. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for another minute.
6. Another set of crunches.
7. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for 30 - 45 seconds.
8. Another set of crunches.
9. Remove oatmeal in bowl from microwave, stir and set aside as it is too hot to eat.
10. Another set of crunches.
11. Check temperature of oatmeal, if too hot, then switch to straight leg lifts (25 in a set, no touching the floor).
12. Repeat step 11 until you can eat the oatmeal.
:D :D

Putting aside that suggestion, Church Lady we're looking forward to your many financial (and culinary) contributions to our forum in your retirement :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Gort wrote:Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!
Way to go Gort!! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Gort takes the award as The Most Senior Boglehead in this retirement class, having joined the Boglehead forum in March 2007, less than a month after the forum began. :beer

Being an alien robot who arrived in a spaceship on The Day the Earth Stood Still, Gort started out reserved. His first post was "Test."
Another early post was "Klaatu barada nikto."

He then got the hang of the Boglehead philosophy and began buying up .32 cent Forever stamps from the post office as a good investment to use, well, forever :wink: . The value of his investment in stamps went up, just like the stock market. Gort was described as an awesome eight-foot robot with the power to evaporate anything he targets with his laser-like vision :D Truly an awesome Boglehead 8-)

He has now targeted his employment and evaporated his job. Klaatu barada nikto!!

So what does an awesome eight-foot robot do when he retires??

Well, this could pose problems. One can only imagine Gort on a senior citizen cruise through the Caribbean, squished into an RV touring the National Parks, lumbering along the Champs-Elysees or through the Louvre or Buckingham Palace, hiking up to Machu Picchu, or sunbathing on the beaches of Hawaii, and the list could go on.

On the other hand, Gort says he has exciting plans ahead - "much to do and see in the world now!!!!" Gort, we wish you good luck on the open road ahead of you with the wind at your back :happy (and careful with the laser)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Miriam2 wrote:
Gort wrote:Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!
Way to go Gort!! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Gort takes the award as The Most Senior Boglehead in this retirement class, having joined the Boglehead forum in March 2007, less than a month after the forum began. :beer

Being an alien robot who arrived in a spaceship on The Day the Earth Stood Still, Gort started out reserved. His first post was "Test."
Another early post was "Klaatu barada nikto."

He then got the hang of the Boglehead philosophy and began buying up .32 cent Forever stamps from the post office as a good investment to use, well, forever :wink: . The value of his investment in stamps went up, just like the stock market. Gort was described as an awesome eight-foot robot with the power to evaporate anything he targets with his laser-like vision :D Truly an awesome Boglehead 8-)

He has now targeted his employment and evaporated his job. Klaatu barada nikto!!

So what does an awesome eight-foot robot do when he retires??

Well, this could pose problems. One can only imagine Gort on a senior citizen cruise through the Caribbean, squished into an RV touring the National Parks, lumbering along the Champs-Elysees or through the Louvre or Buckingham Palace, hiking up to Machu Picchu, or sunbathing on the beaches of Hawaii, and the list could go on.

On the other hand, Gort says he has exciting plans ahead - "much to do and see in the world now!!!!" Gort, we wish you good luck on the open road ahead of you with the wind at your back :happy (and careful with the laser)
:sharebeer
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

I will be retired from the US army after 21 years of service. It has been a wonderful and challenging time. But it is time to hang it up. My last day will be sometime in December. I do not know what the future holds, but I am optimistic. Thank you Bogleheads for helping to prepare me and my DW for this new chapter.

Geronkas
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Geronkas wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm I will be retired from the US army after 21 years of service. It has been a wonderful and challenging time. But it is time to hang it up. My last day will be sometime in December. I do not know what the future holds, but I am optimistic. Thank you Bogleheads for helping to prepare me and my DW for this new chapter.

Geronkas
Congratulations Geronkas and welcome to this outstanding Retirement Class!

We truly appreciate your service to our country :happy 8-)

But yes, time to hang it up and move on to new adventures. Please let us know what the future holds.

However, If you ever get lonely for the good old army days, the Boglehead forum can help you out - just turn up your speakers and click HERE :D
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Glad to say I will soon be joining the club. Almost 37 years in my field and almost 32 years at my present employer.

Notified them this past week that I will be leaving mid October. It also gives me some time to train my replacement.

I don't know if it was providence or coincidence but I will be celebrating my first day of retirement at this year's Boglehead Conference.

Looking forward to my retirement, the conference and being able to thank Mr. Bogle and the Bogleheads personally for helping me to get there.

Congrats to my fellow retirees.
mrc

Post by mrc »

SimplicityNow wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 am ...
I don't know if it was providence or coincidence but I will be celebrating my first day of retirement at this year's Boglehead Conference.
Now that's a great story! Congratulations!
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SimplicityNow wrote: Glad to say I will soon be joining the club. Almost 37 years in my field and almost 32 years at my present employer.

Notified them this past week that I will be leaving mid October. It also gives me some time to train my replacement.

Looking forward to my retirement, the conference and being able to thank Mr. Bogle and the Bogleheads personally for helping me to get there.

Congrats to my fellow retirees.
Welcome to the class SimplicityNow!!
After working 37 years in your field and 32 years at your present employer you have truly earned your retirement :D

You can't train your replacement, can't be done - you're irreplaceable 8-)

Watch out or they'll put you back to work at the Boglehead Conference :P
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

MandyT wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:01 pm I'm currently clearing out my office; there is some space for emeritus faculty so I'm going to move a few things and keep them in there. Aside from that, I'll have two or three hours of committee-related work to do in July, then I'll be done. I'm not sure I'll really feel retired, though, until closer to the start of the fall semester.
Just checking back in now that I'm "officially officially" retired (as of September 1). So far, I really like it. :sharebeer

I had originally planned to move to a nearby large city in July, but, after looking at some apartments and discovering issues that had not been apparent from my online search, I decided that there was really no hurry to move, so I renewed my lease for another year. If I get bored or tired of driving back and forth for events, I can always move next summer. That will give me time to sort through my belongings and decide what needs to come with me, rather than moving everything and sorting later. After spending one's life choosing between one school or another or one job or another, it was kind of an epiphany to realize that I could move now or...whenever.

I'm going to treat the next 4 to 6 months as the sabbatical I never got to take. By then, I think I'll be ready to think about what I want to be when I grow up. :D
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Today is the first full day of retirement.
Glad to join all of you.
mrc

Post by mrc »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm Today is the first full day of retirement.
Glad to join all of you.
Welcome aboard!
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm Today is the first full day of retirement.
Glad to join all of you.
Congrats!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

I retired as of 9/1 (just found this thread). I'll be 62 in November and had intended to work for another 3 years but a situation at work made retiring a better option than staying (or trying to stay). I looked at my financial situation and fortunately retirement was an option that we could afford to do. I worked for my last employer for 29 years and my previous (also my first) employer for 11, so after 40 years I figured I was entitled to stop working, and now my working won't get in the way of our travel plans :). My biggest concern is healthcare (as I'm sure it is for many). Because of the way I left my job, I have a year of subsidized medical insurance. After that, I can get another 6 months at COBRA rates, or I can start using my employer's retiree medical plans, which seem to be very overpriced (more expensive and worse than staying on at COBRA rates for the extra 6 months). I do have $45k in credits towards their medical coverage (they funded this when they got rid of lifetime retiree medical many years ago), which I can use now, or I can buy insurance elsewhere and wait until I'm 65 and use the money for their (hopefully) more reasonably priced Medicare supplement plans.

I've started collecting my pension as of October 1st (I was too late on the paperwork to get it on September 1st, plus I hadn't decided on the lump sum vs. annuity choice, documented in another thread here). It's not as generous as it would have had the company stopped contributing to it many years ago, but it's something. I have a 401k from this job and 403b from the previous one but will live off my taxable assets for now and hold off withdrawing from them for the moment, although I might before 70 once I get a handle on my tax situation.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

All,

Looks like I am joining the class. Put my papers in yesterday and will finish up in December.

39 Business days left ....

Excited and nervous at the same time.

:sharebeer
WoodSpinner
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

With luck, no more hurricanes :annoyed and we can have our Wild Retirement Class of 2017 Party!! :sharebeer

Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

We now have 40 WILDLY happy graduates 8-) :D

Already graduated - congratulations!! :beer
01 Jan - MichaelM (63.5)
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
04 Jan - bcboy57 (66)
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
__ Jan - quantAndHold
__ Jan - lostdog (41)
__ Jan - Sandtrap
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
17 Mar - Mlm (62)
31 Mar - galectin
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin
28 Apr - akblizzard
30 Apr - Treeman16 (66)
__ Apr - vg55
01 May - Dday123 (54)
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
19 May - boglefannyc
15 Jun - sil2017
15 Jun - rick2427 (57)
05 Jul - Just sayin
07 Jul - bikechuck
07 Jul - Theseus (50)
11 Jul - 1year23 (59)
14 Jul - chw
31 Jul - peregrine
31 Jul - r60rider
31 Jul - Gort (64) <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
__ Jul - Church Lady (59) <== Welcome to the Class! :D
01 Aug - SR II
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Sep - MisterBill (61) <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
30 Sep - Tracyfaa (56)
15 Sep - MichaelRpdx
01 Oct - mcblum
01 Oct - STINGRAY75 (60)

Graduating as soon as they can - and not a minute later :P
__ Oct - SimplicityNow <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
01 Dec - dratkinson
15 Dec - WoodSpinner
31 Dec - SHL (62)
__ Dec - Geronkas <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
__ ___ Riverstwo (58)
__ ___ Tycoon
__ ___ songman52
__ ___ Ashley1748
__ ___ rennale (67)
__ ___ WolfgangPauli (55)

In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

Let us know if you would like to be added to this VERY SPECIAL ROLL CALL 8-) 8-)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:35 am
Miriam2 wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:3) focus on what you really really want to do once retired and realize that each month you delay retiring is one month less you'll be able to do what you really really want to do :happy
. . . On the other hand I realize I can't just do trips 24x7x365 in retirement either physically or financially so that leads me back to what do I do with my time when I am home and my friends are at work.

This is the key to TheTimeLord's quandary. I remember TheTimeLord's "Costco zombie" description :happy You need an engrossing at-home or not-at-work hobby, activity, project or perhaps your own part-time business to occupy your mind, body and soul when you finally punch out of the rat race.
that is what I was referring to with "what you really really want to do".
[/bold]

(keeps coming up in bold. Can't fix it. Sorry)

I guess I'm in the Retirement Class of 2017.

Same dilemma as "TimeLord". :oops:
I love business. Been a businessman all my life. So, as I'm self-employed, the concept of "retirement" never entered my mind.
Yet, it seems folks on payroll and pensions have no problem with this thought.

"What" Is retirement?

DW grew up in a family and extended family of folks now retired with pensions. She loves retirement.
I grew up with business families where (culturally) nobody "retired".
So. . . . .
Do I finish liquidating and go "all in" at Vanguard and then open a small restaurant to have fun in retirement?
Do I switch from R/E to owning a laundromat and sweeping in the mornings, puttering?
Yet, as a senior, I'm no longer physically able to do so many of the simplest things that business requires so nix those ideas.

So, do I go slowly around the world pursuing photo journalism,
or play golf at all the classic historic courses around the world,
or take up fly fishing for crocodiles? :shock:

This is a fascinating actionable topic to ponder.

Costco zombie. :shock:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:12 pm With luck, no more hurricanes :annoyed and we can have our Wild Retirement Class of 2017 Party!! :sharebeer

We now have 40 WILDLY happy graduates 8-) :D

Already graduated - congratulations!! :beer
01 Jan - MichaelM (63.5)
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
04 Jan - bcboy57 (66)
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
__ Jan - quantAndHold
__ Jan - lostdog (41)
__ Jan - Sandtrap
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
17 Mar - Mlm (62)
31 Mar - galectin
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin
28 Apr - akblizzard
30 Apr - Treeman16 (66)
__ Apr - vg55
01 May - Dday123 (54)
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
19 May - boglefannyc
15 Jun - sil2017
15 Jun - rick2427 (57)
05 Jul - Just sayin
07 Jul - bikechuck
07 Jul - Theseus (50)
11 Jul - 1year23 (59)
14 Jul - chw
31 Jul - peregrine
31 Jul - r60rider
31 Jul - Gort (64) <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
__ Jul - Church Lady (59) <== Welcome to the Class! :D
01 Aug - SR II
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Sep - MisterBill (61) <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
30 Sep - Tracyfaa (56)
15 Sep - MichaelRpdx
01 Oct - mcblum
01 Oct - STINGRAY75 (60)

Graduating as soon as they can - and not a minute later :P
__ Oct - SimplicityNow <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
01 Dec - dratkinson
15 Dec - WoodSpinner
31 Dec - SHL (62)
__ Dec - Geronkas <== Welcome to the Class!! :D
__ ___ Riverstwo (58)
__ ___ Tycoon
__ ___ songman52
__ ___ Ashley1748
__ ___ rennale (67)
__ ___ WolfgangPauli (55)

Let us know if you would like to be added to this VERY SPECIAL ROLL CALL 8-) 8-)
Please edit my date to 01 Jan 2017
thanks
j
rennale

Post by rennale »

Another update. My last day at megacorp was 1st September. Whoo-hoo.

Now six weeks in and just treating life like a series of back-to-back weekends. I've decided to chill until the New Year to unwind and take stock (figurative, not literal). Then sort out something constructive to do.

It's amazing how old habits, such as getting up at 5:45, stick. Getting up at 7:00 makes me feel guilty. I guess I need more practice. :D

Hmm - when does the average retiree rise, I wonder?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rennale wrote: Hmm - when does the average retiree rise, I wonder?
Depends how late we are out all night :wink:
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

rennale wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 am Hmm - when does the average retiree rise, I wonder?
In the morning or from the afternoon siesta? 8-)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

InvestorThom wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 am It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

Thanks.
Our HR department said to give three months notice to get the pension set up, and etc. so that's the amount of notice I gave my boss.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

rennale wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 am Another update. My last day at megacorp was 1st September. Whoo-hoo.

Now six weeks in and just treating life like a series of back-to-back weekends. I've decided to chill until the New Year to unwind and take stock (figurative, not literal). Then sort out something constructive to do.

It's amazing how old habits, such as getting up at 5:45, stick. Getting up at 7:00 makes me feel guilty. I guess I need more practice. :D

Hmm - when does the average retiree rise, I wonder?
Myself, between 5 AM and 8 AM, no set time. Eighteen months in. You'll be surprised how quickly your old job will fade in your memory. My older brother told me that after awhile you'll forget you ever worked, and I'm finding it to be true. I worked for my last company 38 years. Right after retirement I used to dream about work pretty regularly, now even those dreams are fading away.
Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 »

You can add me to this class please. Official date is Dec. 1st. Backing off some vacation time, last day is Nov. 3rd! Can't wait! :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sandman62 wrote: You can add me to this class please. Official date is Dec. 1st. Backing off some vacation time, last day is Nov. 3rd! Can't wait! :happy
You're in, Sandman62! Congratulations!
So what's on the retirement agenda :?:
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 am
InvestorThom wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 am It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

Thanks.
Our HR department said to give three months notice to get the pension set up, and etc. so that's the amount of notice I gave my boss.
I've been telling my boss and the HR department for years that I was fed up and going to retire.

Finally my wife says, "You can do whatever the heck you want. . .stop yelling across the hall."

I'm a self-employed businessman. My wife's office is across from mine.
So that's how I gave notice to retire :shock:
Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm
Sandman62 wrote: You can add me to this class please. Official date is Dec. 1st. Backing off some vacation time, last day is Nov. 3rd! Can't wait! :happy
You're in, Sandman62! Congratulations!
So what's on the retirement agenda :?:
Thank you. More of a "loose plan" than an agenda, but here goes:
  • More social time with parents and other retired relatives and friends (though the list of retired friends will take a few years to catch up, seeing I'm only 55)
  • Weekly golf with my 80-year old dad and his best friend (and one of my brothers or my son when available)
  • Getting to go to the gym without having worked all day
  • Cycling the many nearby bike paths, some within 10 minutes, others within 30-60
  • Disc golf with one of my brothers who enjoys it
  • Maybe get a kayak
  • Playing my edrum kit a lot more and getting back into acoustic guitar beyond the extreme beginner level I explored over a decade ago. Probably jamming a bit with some friends, maybe even record a little
  • Several home/yard improvement and tidy-up/organizing projects
  • Transferring, organizing and editing decades of home video tapes and photos
  • Continuing to play in 15-30+ fantasy football leagues per year
  • Playing poker a couple times per month, usually home games, but also within an hour of two casinos
  • Maybe get back into volunteer coaching youth baseball
  • Maybe pickup bowling again
  • Maybe grow a vegetable garden
  • Maybe explore writing, blogging, photography, or painting (or not?)
  • Having spent my entire IT career at one insurance company, the last decade not doing much coding, maybe delve into smartphone app coding for a change of pace
  • More time with my wonderful (teacher) wife of 30 years during her time off. (She wants to work a few more years.) We're not big travelers, preferring a couple short trips per year and day trips over weeklong or longer ones. But we do have some places we'd like to see; so maybe annual or biannual trips too
  • Hopefully some grandkids in a few years (DD married last summer)
That should give me plenty of options for the first few years. I've never lacked for hobbies and interests, so I'll make the rest up as I go. :happy
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Enjoyed my first day of retirement yesterday at the Bogleheads conference.

A great way to start one's retirement.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I am thrilled and proud to join everyone here in their new beginning!

For background, and to see how stellar Bogleheads can be, this thread shows the tremendous help I had in making this major decision.
Thank you all! :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=230870
Semper Augustus
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Just checking up on you Teague. Make sure you mention the exact day of your retirement so that others can razz you about getting out one day sooner. Congrats.
Teague

Post by Teague »

vested1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm Just checking up on you Teague. Make sure you mention the exact day of your retirement so that others can razz you about getting out one day sooner. Congrats.
Thanks for keeping me honest! :D
Once I get the technicalities figured I'll announce the exact day! :sharebeer
Semper Augustus
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm Hot humid muggy buggy steamy sticky July . . . but our gardens look beautiful 8-)

Please check in if you would like to be added to this VERY PRESTIGIOUS ROLL CALL 8-) 8-)
I truly enjoy my status on this list. Thank you.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

MandyT wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 pm
MandyT wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:01 pm I'm currently clearing out my office; there is some space for emeritus faculty so I'm going to move a few things and keep them in there. Aside from that, I'll have two or three hours of committee-related work to do in July, then I'll be done. I'm not sure I'll really feel retired, though, until closer to the start of the fall semester.
Just checking back in now that I'm "officially officially" retired (as of September 1). So far, I really like it. :sharebeer

I had originally planned to move to a nearby large city in July, but, after looking at some apartments and discovering issues that had not been apparent from my online search, I decided that there was really no hurry to move, so I renewed my lease for another year. If I get bored or tired of driving back and forth for events, I can always move next summer. That will give me time to sort through my belongings and decide what needs to come with me, rather than moving everything and sorting later. After spending one's life choosing between one school or another or one job or another, it was kind of an epiphany to realize that I could move now or...whenever.

I'm going to treat the next 4 to 6 months as the sabbatical I never got to take. By then, I think I'll be ready to think about what I want to be when I grow up. :D
I retired in early March of this year - it was agonizing leading up to the actual commitment to retire, but wonderful having done it. You are right - the first 6 - 7 months were kind of a sabbatical for me - for sure, there's an adjustment period. A lot of friends went on big trips in the beginning - I needed to just settle in and see who I am now that I'm not working. I also kept myself way too busy with plans every day for the first six months, and now I'm much more at ease - there's a LOT to do! Good Luck!
best2u

Post by best2u »

Gave notice one month ago. Today I start what will probably be my last month. Only reason to stay longer is if my replacement is not ready to take over on Dec. 1. Looking forward to a different pace. Plan on spending the first few months finishing up our lake home. Fortunately we chose this path several years ago as it could well be unaffordable for us if we had waited until now. So much to do, can't wait for the freedom to get on with it. :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

You're welcome TimeLord - quite a unique status :happy
TheTimeLord wrote: Check back with me in November.
It's November and we're checking back :wink:
BuBuHead

Post by BuBuHead »

October 1st was my day...still trying to adjust to this freedom, sleeping habits, shopping with my wife is awesome (I can finally appreciate the weekly shopping errands, I don’t know how my wife has done it...I have never done it). After 32 yrs of working, we decided to call it quits and start enjoying the rest of what we have left in this life (we are both 59 so we hope for super time together).

Love this blog...thanks!... :sharebeer
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

You're welcome TimeLord - quite a unique status :happy
It's November and we're checking back :wink:
So far I am very pleased with my decision. As with virtually everyone here, 2017 has been an extremely rewarding year financially which has provided a great deal of financial freedom, but I still plan to continue a while longer. I would be delighted if you were to check back at the beginning of April 2018. There will come a point when I take the plunge and that is the next time I plan to sit-down any so some real self-examination on the topic. I hope you find continued joy in your retirement.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: It's November and we're checking back :wink:
TheTimeLord wrote: So far I am very pleased with my decision. As with virtually everyone here, 2017 has been an extremely rewarding year financially which has provided a great deal of financial freedom, but I still plan to continue a while longer. I would be delighted if you were to check back at the beginning of April 2018. There will come a point when I take the plunge and that is the next time I plan to sit-down any so some real self-examination on the topic.
Ok, will do 8-)
Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress »

Well, I guess the day is here, it hasn’t completely sunk in yet....!

I gave my notice over two weeks ago at megacorp, and after 25 years of service (at the same company), I have actually retired!

Today is my first non-working day :). Admittedly, it feels a bit strange, but I think I’ll have no problem taking control of my own time. It is an early retirement, as I’m 46. I have so many people to thank, but I will list a few key ones: my parents for teaching me the importance of education, grit, living below my means, and saving. My spouse for being like-minded in the balance between being prudent with money but also spending on some luxuries like travel and experiences. All 3 of the aforementioned, plus some amazing teachers in middle/high school, for supporting the message that girls can do anything that boys can do, which I believe helped me to survive—and even excel, at times—in an engineering/science career with typical megacorp politics.

And last but certainly not least, for all Bogleheads who have shared their wisdom, insights, and feedback. You all helped me to reach financial independence (despite mistakes or lessons along the way), and to think about what FIRE means for us. DH and I can make choices as to how we will spend our time, and initially we have different short term goals, but I presume those will evolve as time goes on. First thing on my agenda is to exercise more and eat better!!

Cheers to everyone on this roll call, and best wishes to all Bogleheads! :beer
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi
iceport

Post by iceport »

Congratulations, Soul.in.Progress, and welcome to the class!
Soul.in.Progress wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 am First thing on my agenda is to exercise more and eat better!!

Cheers to everyone on this roll call, and best wishes to all Bogleheads! :beer
I just have to pick up on this goal. This was also one of my top priorities, and the one I have fulfilled most successfully. It's really amazing how much easier it is to live a healthier lifestyle when your time is your own. After 7 months off the clock, exercising most days of the week and preparing most meals myself with mostly whole foods, I'm down to my college weight. Lots of people struggling with the decision (TheTimeLord) should not discount the potential for lifestyle improvements retirement offers.

(Now I just have to turn my focus to better sleep hygiene...)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Both of us went out on September 29th of this year. My last year was good; no problems. I trained a successor but wanted more time to do it. Anyway, I had planned for this event for thirty years, and have met every goal that I set. I have not felt this good, mentally, since the mid '60s. My best to all who have gone before me and will, also follow.
Marty
Fifty50

Post by Fifty50 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm
akblizzard wrote:I'm calling it! April 28th will be my last day at work. :beer
Haven't heard how it went . . . still stuck in that Alaska blizzard with your beer?
Thanks for asking! It went great. I had lots of things planned for the first few months, and didn't get around to most of them. But that's OK! I goofed off a lot, took a little vacation with spouse, did a lot of hiking/backpacking, and put 5k miles on the Harley. Yes, also sampled a couple of beers. It was the first summer without work since I was 16. Felt pretty good.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MisterBill wrote: I retired as of 9/1 (just found this thread). I'll be 62 in November and had intended to work for another 3 years but a situation at work made retiring a better option than staying (or trying to stay). I looked at my financial situation and fortunately retirement was an option that we could afford to do. I worked for my last employer for 29 years and my previous (also my first) employer for 11, so after 40 years I figured I was entitled to stop working, and now my working won't get in the way of our travel plans :). My biggest concern is healthcare (as I'm sure it is for many). Because of the way I left my job, I have a year of subsidized medical insurance. After that, I can get another 6 months at COBRA rates, or I can start using my employer's retiree medical plans, which seem to be very overpriced (more expensive and worse than staying on at COBRA rates for the extra 6 months). I do have $45k in credits towards their medical coverage (they funded this when they got rid of lifetime retiree medical many years ago), which I can use now, or I can buy insurance elsewhere and wait until I'm 65 and use the money for their (hopefully) more reasonably priced Medicare supplement plans.

I've started collecting my pension as of October 1st (I was too late on the paperwork to get it on September 1st, plus I hadn't decided on the lump sum vs. annuity choice, documented in another thread here). It's not as generous as it would have had the company stopped contributing to it many years ago, but it's something. I have a 401k from this job and 403b from the previous one but will live off my taxable assets for now and hold off withdrawing from them for the moment, although I might before 70 once I get a handle on my tax situation.
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the class MisterBill! Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. Yes, after 40 years of good work you have EARNED THE RIGHT to retire and travel and enjoy the good years ahead :D What are your travel plans? Victoria has always said: "In retirement, great trips are the highest priority."

Although you sound like a sensible, well-grounded person, you might enjoy cutting loose a bit :wink: and coming to our Boglehead Retirement Class of 2017 Wild Retirement Party 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

best2u wrote: Gave notice one month ago. Today I start what will probably be my last month. Only reason to stay longer is if my replacement is not ready to take over on Dec. 1. Looking forward to a different pace.
Congratulations and welcome to the class!

Regarding your replacement - they will not be ready to take over on Dec 1 - no one can replace you :D
But tell them you're outta there, can't wait :D

"So much to do and can't wait for the freedom to get on with it" - what a wonderful new beginning!
best2u wrote:Plan on spending the first few months finishing up our lake home.
"Plan on spending the first few months finishing up our lake home . . . " - Hmmm, is this sort of like some never-ending hopelessly exasperating fixer-upper repair project :annoyed or is this truly a delightful romantic cozy time together pounding nails and scrubbing off old wallpaper? :P
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rennale wrote: Another update. My last day at megacorp was 1st September. Whoo-hoo.
Congratulations on punching OUT of megacorp :D It must have quite a culture shock to spend your days in Real Life 8-)
rennale wrote:Now six weeks in and just treating life like a series of back-to-back weekends. I've decided to chill until the New Year to unwind and take stock (figurative, not literal). Then sort out something constructive to do.
Please keep us posted - retirement is an exciting time.
rennale wrote:It's amazing how old habits, such as getting up at 5:45, stick. Getting up at 7:00 makes me feel guilty. I guess I need more practice. :D Hmm - when does the average retiree rise, I wonder?
Still feeling guilty sleeping in until 7:00 am? :wink: Perhaps you need a more active night life :beer
cfs

Post by cfs »

This is my first post in many moons, I have become an active member of The Bogleheads' Silent Majority.

Thanks to our shipmate Miriam for maintaining the "Retirement Series" up-to-date.

Our shipmate Rennale asked: When does the average retiree rise, I wonder?

This is what I do. I continue to get up "very early" in the morning to take care of my daily workout. I believe it was Jack Lalanne who said "take care of your exercises in the morning, in this way you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day." That's exactly what I do, and it works for me.

Of course, we can come up with one million "reasons" for not exercising in the morning, but here are "9 Really Good Reasons to Exercise Early in the Morning" click here for the article.

A word to the wise, in retirement you MUST stay mentally and physically active.

To all current and future retirees, good luck, happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cfs wrote: This is my first post in many moons, I have become an active member of The Bogleheads' Silent Majority. . . . .
A word to the wise, in retirement you MUST stay mentally and physically active.
Many thanks, cfs, for checking in with us and offering your many words to the wise and your links to early morning exercise :D Please don't stay too silent for too long :happy