Need Options - Honda Accord Incredibly Uncomfortable Seats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldSport

Need Options - Honda Accord Incredibly Uncomfortable Seats

Post by OldSport »

I recently bought a top of the line Honda Accord Touring. I was so excited - I thought the vehicle was a great value. Got a good deal on the vehicle as 2018s are coming out. It packs great features and technology for the price.

I thought I had got a winner. Even bought the Honda Care extended warranty and got a deal on that as I thought I'd keep this at least 7-10 years and 150k miles.

This turned out to be the single most stupid purchase decision I have ever made. The car has by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced. This is not apparent from the test drives. After my first 2 hour drive my back was in excruciating pain for the whole day!

I am healthy and active and never had any back problems until I bought this Honda Accord. It feels like an expensive boat anchor. I hate it.

It normally takes me a few minutes to adjust seats in a vehicle. I spent over 2 weeks adjusting every position, looking at ergonomic videos, etc and nothing works. I have spent multiple hours adjusting the seat, and it is still by far the most uncomfortable seat ever. My back is hurting as I write this.

If I trade it in for something else, I will take a HUGE loss, along the lines of replacing an engine or transmission.

I feel stupid, foolish, and violated for making such a stupid decision. I am extremely careful with my money. This one mistakes negates years of very hard work of being relatively frugal. I feel sick.

In addition to the sickening financial fleecing, I am to9 embarrased to trade in such a new car. Most people who want the latest and greatest still keep cars 3 years, and 2 at the very least. A new Accord Touring packs more technology than almost anything else out there in its price range.

I can easily afford to trade up and take the loss, but it makes me sick, and I am too embarrased to trade in such a new and technologically advanced vehicle. I do not know what to do.
hicabob

Re: Need Options - Honda Accord Incredibly Uncomfortable Seats

Post by hicabob »

Buy a new driver seat for it perhaps? An automotive upholstery shop could probably help you.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

There are plenty of options significantly cheaper than eating a loss and dumping the car. There are hundreds more, but a few that I am aware of:

1) Full seat cushion
https://www.relaxtheback.com/mccartys-s ... z0QAvD_BwE

2) Variety of cusion options
http://www.backdesigns.com/Car-seat-support-C237.aspx
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

hicabob wrote:Buy a new driver seat for it perhaps? An automotive upholstery shop could probably help you.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that would torpedo the value even more.

I have accelerated payments and will pay it off in 2 years and trade it in soon after its paid off. I need a workaround that makes it tolerable for that time. By tolerable I mean not causing back issues. I have accepted that I will hate the car. I just don't want to be in pain.

Is the Acura TLX any better for seat comfort? I like the 2018 TLX but they were not out when I bought this. The tech is similar to the Accord, but it is more expensive. The Acura seat felt better but test drives don't give enough time to reveal seat issues.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I bought a new car in 2014 (not a Honda) and within a week I discovered that there was not nearly enough lumbar support in the seat. Sharp bumps caused me excruciating back pain. I got one of these and am still happy with the purchase of the car and the support cushion:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-McKenzi ... 2Bcar&th=1

This may not solve your issue at all, but it solved mine. There are many other similar cushions available. You could probably experiment with rolled or folded towels at different spots on your car seat to get an idea if a cushion might help. Good luck.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I think it's smart to try some various options such as lumbar supports, etc., but if after all that, you hate it, then you hate it. Trade it in, you said yourself you can afford to take the loas and I can guarantee you that whoever takes the trade will be more than happy to make a few bucks and won't look down on you or shame you. I understand the feeling about making a mistake but to suffer in excruciating pain for two years is not worth a few thousand bucks.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I remember reading that Honda Accord has been on Car & Driver magazine's "10 Best" list for something like 30 years!

So maybe it is not the car.

Disclosure: I have owned several Hondas but never owned an Accord.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

munemaker wrote:I remember reading that Honda Accord has been on Car & Driver magazine's "10 Best" list for something like 30 years!

Yes, it most certainly is the car. The pain started with a 2 hour drive I took 2 days after purchasing it. I am healthy weight and active. I have never had any back problems prior to driving this car.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

I'm thinking about trying this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011BJX3JS

Not sure if this is good enough for a 2 year bandaid.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

My understanding is that car seats no longer have springs and so use foam. Foam softens over time, so maybe it will improve over time. Not to be facetious - - but maybe you have a large friend who can sit in the seat for an hour or two and see if that helps break it in (softens the foam and thereby changing the current feel)?

It would certainly be worthwhile to try any of the suggestions in the posts above. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, and you really feel need to trade in the vehicle, I'd suggest first calling the Honda help line for customer satisfaction (there should be a number in your driver's manual or on the internet). Set up an incident number. Let them know you cannot keep the car as is. Possibly they can assist with some modification. If you and family have been past Honda owners, then stress that loyalty to them, including your purchase of top of the line Accord along with a long-term warranty as indicators of your loyalty to them and trust in them. Back this up with visits to the dealership (the corporate customer sat function will refer you back to the dealer anyway) and escalate to the service manager, the dealer customer sat mgr for the dealership, and the head of the dealership. Assuming there's no satisfactory fix for the problem, let the head of the dealership become involved in seeing what can be gotten on a sale (he/she will put it up for sale to Honda dealers in the area. Best offer will, as you say, cause you to take a bath. If you have raised a (polite but insistent) stink with the corporate cust sat line, it is likely that the owner of the dealership can get Honda Corp or possibly both Honda Corp and the regional Honda association (e.g., "Southeast Honda" or "Central States Honda") to kick in significant bucks to help you out.

I had a somewhat similar situation with Toyota and what I'm describing to you is what happened in my case. I was going to take a bath on the trade-in and almost did it, but ultimately Toyota was able to fix the issue and I fortunately kept the vehicle which I have now come to like a lot after having previously felt about it the way you feel about yours. Without going into deep specifics, in my case the corp and regional Toyota functions together volunteered to chip in about one-twelfth of the vehicle's list price (on my behalfto the dealership) to help defray what would have been my loss (provided I was trading in for any new Toyota vehicle). So - - conceivably you might look at Civics or Fits or The CRV or (I think) HRV, find one that's comfortable, trade, get assistance from Honda, and walkout with a new car you actually like and some dough in your pocket.

If you go this route, you should also look at a different Accord, look at a sports model if you got a top of the line touring model, and look at a touring model if you got a sports model, because the seats are probably different (and may even be interchangeable).

Good Luck!
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

munemaker wrote:I remember reading that Honda Accord has been on Car & Driver magazine's "10 Best" list for something like 30 years!

I'm not the only one. Wish I would have read these before purchasing. I feel so stupid:

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord ... eats.shtml

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord ... eats.shtml

I used to own a 2003 Honda Accord. Seats were fine. Never an issue. It has to be this generation seats.
LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

If I were you, I would look for a way to rig it. With the internet and the new world of on-demand customization, it seems you can find someone who could custom make a comfortable seat pad with the structure you need, fitted to the vehicle and to your body.

Keep googling. It may cost a bit, but your other options seem more so.

Good luck.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Beehave wrote:My understanding is that car seats no longer have springs and so use foam. Foam softens over time, so maybe it will improve over time. Not to be facetious - - but maybe you have a large friend who can sit in the seat for an hour or two and see if that helps break it in (softens the foam and thereby changing the current feel)?

It would certainly be worthwhile to try any of the suggestions in the posts above. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, and you really feel need to trade in the vehicle, I'd suggest first calling the Honda help line for customer satisfaction (there should be a number in your driver's manual or on the internet). Set up an incident number. Let them know you cannot keep the car as is. Possibly they can assist with some modification. If you and family have been past Honda owners, then stress that loyalty to them, including your purchase of top of the line Accord along with a long-term warranty as indicators of your loyalty to them and trust in them. Back this up with visits to the dealership (the corporate customer sat function will refer you back to the dealer anyway) and escalate to the service manager, the dealer customer sat mgr for the dealership, and the head of the dealership. Assuming there's no satisfactory fix for the problem, let the head of the dealership become involved in seeing what can be gotten on a sale (he/she will put it up for sale to Honda dealers in the area. Best offer will, as you say, cause you to take a bath. If you have raised a (polite but insistent) stink with the corporate cust sat line, it is likely that the owner of the dealership can get Honda Corp or possibly both Honda Corp and the regional Honda association (e.g., "Southeast Honda" or "Central States Honda") to kick in significant bucks to help you out.

I had a somewhat similar situation with Toyota and what I'm describing to you is what happened in my case. I was going to take a bath on the trade-in and almost did it, but ultimately Toyota was able to fix the issue and I fortunately kept the vehicle which I have now come to like a lot after having previously felt about it the way you feel about yours. Without going into deep specifics, in my case the corp and regional Toyota functions together volunteered to chip in about one-twelfth of the vehicle's list price (on my behalfto the dealership) to help defray what would have been my loss (provided I was trading in for any new Toyota vehicle). So - - conceivably you might look at Civics or Fits or The CRV or (I think) HRV, find one that's comfortable, trade, get assistance from Honda, and walkout with a new car you actually like and some dough in your pocket.

If you go this route, you should also look at a different Accord, look at a sports model if you got a top of the line touring model, and look at a touring model if you got a sports model, because the seats are probably different (and may even be interchangeable).

Good Luck!
Thank you for the very detailed response. Unfortunately I am done with Honda. None of their current models seem any more comfortable and may be worse, except the Pilot and maybe the new CRV and new Odyssey. Those vehicles are completely different classes and sizes.

I kick myself for not getting the Acura TLX or waiting a few months for the new one. I was lured by the good deal, the better tech, better perceived value, and the regular gas. Other than value and gas, the 2018 TLX closed the gap with tech and features. I didn't know that was coming out so soon.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

munemaker wrote:I remember reading that Honda Accord has been on Car & Driver magazine's "10 Best" list for something like 30 years! So maybe it is not the car.
OP: rest assured - it's NOT you - it's the car. EDIT to my original post: just saw your earlier post with the links - my bad. You already saw those threads, so you know.

I was seriously considering a Honda Accord but also have problems with comfort and visibility in most cars, as I'm very short. I did some digging on Accord model and was really surprised by all the negative feedback I found.

As I recall many people were commiserating and sharing their solutions for a workaround. You still may find an idea there from someone going through the same thing as you.

Best of luck...it stinks to feel buyer's remorse after so much money when you should be feeling that warm glow and savoring that new car smell. But stay positive - I believe you WILL find some sort of solution that works. Just may take some research.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

[
Thank you for the very detailed response. Unfortunately I am done with Honda. None of their current models seem any more comfortable and may be worse, except the Pilot and maybe the new CRV and new Odyssey. Those vehicles are completely different classes and sizes.

I kick myself for not getting the Acura TLX or waiting a few months for the new one. I was lured by the good deal, the better tech, better perceived value, and the regular gas. Other than value and gas, the 2018 TLX closed the gap with tech and features. I didn't know that was coming out so soon.[/quote]

I really do understand and if there's a message in this for others that I would emphasize it's that a top of the line Accord or Camry which costs eight or ten thousand or whatever less than a "comparable" Acura or Lexus is NOT an Acura or Lexus. If you really want the higher level of comfort and quiet and audio and leather quality, buy the Acura or Lexus because that's where you will find it.

The other takeaway for me is that the technology for safety and efficiency is improving so rapidly that I am considering leasing in the future (when I run current vehicles into the ground) rather than buying.

Again, good luck and best wishes!
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

Suggest visiting a chiropractor... or simply using one of the many adjustable seat functions to fix your problem.
Taylor Larimore

"10 Savvy Ways You Can Spot Fake Reviews"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

First time Boglehead posters bashing a non-financial product may be real but good investors are skeptical. This article will help spot impostors:

10 Savvy Ways You Can Spot Fake Reviews

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

I have a 2016 Honda Accord EX-L. Long history of back problems, with three prior surgeries. I have to tell you I was aware of some of the negative comments about the seats before I bought the car. Short story: I find the seats very adjustable and very comfortable. I suggest giving the seats further tries after your back feels better. And some type of cushion, as mentioned above, might be helpful. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a work around, but you'll find out. Wish you the best!!!!
Topic Author
OldSport

Re: "10 Savvy Ways You Can Spot Fake Reviews"

Post by OldSport »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

First time Boglehead posters bashing a non-financial product may be real but good investors are skeptical. This article will help spot impostors:

Best wishes.
Taylor
:oops: I really do not appreciate the negativity. I have read Boglehead forums for years, enjoy Vanguard indexing, maximize 401k, backdoor roth conversion, and employ my own personal mix between "pure" market weighted boglehead indexing and Paul Merriman style tilting using low cost index funds distributed among different asset classes.

I assure you my post is real and genuine. It took this painful experience to get me to sign up and post.

I have found some Bogleheads very helpful and informative but others highly judgemental (translation: hurtful).
Last edited by OldSport on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

Best wishes.
Taylor
+1. The original post reads (to me) as very overly dramatic and has so many cliche comments it is beyond obvious. I can't imagine a fit, in-shape person with no prior back problem history having back problems in any vehicle with so many seat adjustment controls.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We have the previous generation, the seats are bad and I have arthritis on the hips. I use a pad on the seat or a towel. It's night and day for whatever reason. I also find as long as up my gym routine that helps out too, I also stretch the snot out of my quads and hamstrings before long rides.

I have a very cheap chair at work, that is great on my back, so even a cheap seat or chair doesn't mean it's uncomfortable for everyone.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

sharpjm wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor
+1. The original post reads (to me) as very overly dramatic and has so many cliche comments it is beyond obvious. I can't imagine a fit, in-shape person with no prior back problem history having back problems in any vehicle with so many seat adjustment controls.
Seriously??? I find this judgmental and offensive!!! One of the primary reason I did not join Bogleheads before was due to how much outright judging I have seen on some of the threads. I have read the investing forums for years.

I was upset in the OP as potentially losing multiple thousands is upsetting. I was genuinely asking for advice. I would much appreciate some respect.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

OldSport wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Seriously??? I find this judgmental and offensive!!! One of the primary reason I did not join Bogleheads before was due to how much outright judging I have seen on some of the threads. I have read the investing forums for years.

I was upset in the OP as potentially losing multiple thousands is upsetting. I was genuinely asking for advice. I would much appreciate some respect.
Overly dramatic response continues...

There is advice in this thread... recommend reading it.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

How tall is OP?

I am 6'3'' and average weight and find the seats in my 2016 Accord to be very comfortable. My wife 5'2'' on the other hand thinks they are uncomfortable.

If you do decide to get a new car take it for a longer test drive to see how comfortable the seats are. My daily commute is 45mins, so I took the Accord and other cars on 90 minute test drives to see how my legs and back felt.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

I googled uncomfortable seats and here are some comments that came up on the first page. Click link to see make/model.
On a 2 1/2-hour drive, I got so uncomfortable that my legs cramped up, and there was so little room to move my legs around that I felt trapped in the car somewhat like a fighter pilot feels strapped into the confining cockpit of his jet.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8973 ... riced.html
I just don't feel comfortable. I drove it for about 2 hours straight, and came out with a cramp down my entire driver leg. I am quite frustrated, I feel like maybe I should just sell the car, and get something else.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/uncomfo ... back/83290
The seats go from comfortable enough to REALLY unsatisfactory in about 15 minutes. I am 51y/o 6' and 180 pounds and fairly athletic to my peers.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/th ... -me.21621/
I also found complaints about Tesla and just about every other car known to man. Meanwhile the Honda Accord was rated in the top 15 most for most comfortable by motortrend.
Hmm...maybe car seat comfort is subjective.
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

For what it's worth, like the OP, I read the Bogleheads forums every day but never post because I have nothing to contribute (I just chug along with a 2 fund portfolio) and I've also found people on here to be somewhat overly judgmental at times.

I have an Accord and the seat is mildly uncomfortable. I am 27 years old, fit and have no preexisting back problems. A lumbar pillow solves 99% of the problem, but it took buying more than one to find the one that worked for me.

OP: Some people don't find the headrests comfortable in any newer car because in an attempt to provide better crash ratings, they push your head too far forward. Could that be part of the problem? Some people pull them out, flip them back to front, reinstall and it helps. Otherwise, I think there has to be a custom seat cushion that solves your problem -- physically speaking, it has to just be a matter of adding padding in the right places to make the seat whatever shape is optimal for your body. I would suggest perhaps consulting with an ergonomic specialist, and then having a custom cushion made.

One last thing -- you say you would be too embarrassed to trade in the car. Don't be. Would you rather tell the salesman (1) The seat is so uncomfortable that it gives me back pain but I decided to continue spending all this money while suffering every time I drive for years or (2) The seat is so uncomfortable that it gives me back pain so rather than pay off the entire balance and impair my health, I decided to cut my losses and drive a car that doesn't hurt my back. I'd choose (2) -- no need to be embarrassed about it.
Last edited by simplextableau on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Regardless of people's opinions, the post is genuine, and the car is causing back pain that had never existed previously. Thanks to those who provided helpful and well-intentioned responses.

I plan to look into aftermarket cushions from Amazon Prime with good reviews and return policies. If several of those do not work, I may try the pricier Relax the Back cushion.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

simplextableau wrote:I have a 2014 Accord LX and the seat is mildly uncomfortable. Less comfortable than my 2001 Civic was. I am 28 years old, fit and have no preexisting back problems. In my case, it's the lack of lumbar support in the LX model, which I knew when I was buying the car. A lumbar pillow solves the problem, but it took buying more than one to find the one that worked for me.
The touring edition that the OP claims to have has lumbar adjustments. And again I encourage anyone who experiences back discomfort in a new car with a wide array of seat adjustments to visit a chiropractor.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I owned a Honda once. That was sufficient.

My SO is suffering the same problem as you are with her Honda Accord. It has robbed her of enjoying her car. She has the EX (I think) which has the "best" 8 way awful seat they make. I've looked high and low for good solutions and found none. She had the seat modified by an upholstery shop that specializes in this exact issue. It didn't help. Try a few band-aids like seat cushions. If you can't find something suitable, and you have the means, sell the car and get something comfortable.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

simplextableau wrote:For what it's worth, like the OP, I read the Bogleheads forums every day but never post because I have nothing to contribute (I just chug along with a 2 fund portfolio) and I've also found people on here to be somewhat overly judgmental at times.

I have a 2014 Accord LX and the seat is mildly uncomfortable. Less comfortable than my 2001 Civic was. I am 28 years old, fit and have no preexisting back problems. In my case, it's the lack of lumbar support in the LX model, which I knew when I was buying the car. A lumbar pillow solves 99% of the problem, but it took buying more than one to find the one that worked for me.

OP: Some people don't find the headrests comfortable in any newer car because in an attempt to provide better crash ratings, they push your head too far forward. Could that be part of the problem? Some people pull them out, flip them back to front, reinstall and it helps. Otherwise, I think there has to be a custom seat cushion that solves your problem -- physically speaking, it has to just be a matter of adding padding in the right places to make the seat whatever shape is optimal for your body. I would suggest perhaps consulting with an ergonomic specialist, and then having a custom cushion made. But you're not alone -- I too obsess about car purchases. I spent six months looking for my Accord used and if I spent all that money and was uncomfortable in the seats, I'd be very upset as well.

One last thing -- you say you would be too embarrassed to trade in the car. Don't be. Would you rather tell the salesman (1) The seat is so uncomfortable that it gives me back pain but I decided to continue spending all this money while suffering every time I drive for years or (2) The seat is so uncomfortable that it gives me back pain so rather than pay off the entire balance and impair my health, I decided to cut my losses and drive a car that doesn't hurt my back. I'd choose (2) -- no need to be embarrassed about it.
+1 Great post. Thank you.

Whenever I do trade in, I will not mention the seats, as the dealer would sense desperation and low ball. My goal would be to get as high a trade in value as possible. I like the 2018 Acura TLX, but I cannot get a test drive more than 25 minutes. It does seem a lot more comfortable to me. But it is $8-10k more MSRP, excluding the bath and relative deals on both ends.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

My similar very recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223981

[I always have problems finding a comfortable drivers seat, mainly because my legs are long. Drivers seats have become low and confining and they never slide back enough for me. Cars had more legroom 20+ years ago but no more. I ALWAYS have to slide the seat all the way back and tilt the seat front edge all the way up, and even then it's usually too tight. And I'm just 6 feet tall, but my legs are on the long side, especially below the knee.
Camrys and even Avalons to me are even worse than Accords. Just from my quick experience at a car show, try a Hyundai Azera or the new generation Mercedes E class. I found these comfortable somehow.]
Last edited by rgs92 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

sharpjm wrote:
simplextableau wrote:I have a 2014 Accord LX and the seat is mildly uncomfortable. Less comfortable than my 2001 Civic was. I am 28 years old, fit and have no preexisting back problems. In my case, it's the lack of lumbar support in the LX model, which I knew when I was buying the car. A lumbar pillow solves the problem, but it took buying more than one to find the one that worked for me.
The touring edition that the OP claims to have has lumbar adjustments. And again I encourage anyone who experiences back discomfort in a new car with a wide array of seat adjustments to visit a chiropractor.
Thanks...I spent 2 weeks fiddling with all of the adjustments and looking at ergonomic articles and videos. I won't let anyone else touch the drivers seat due to how much adjusting I did. That effort certainly did improve things, but the pain was still noticeable and unacceptable for long term use.

I don't personally believe in chiropractors (for me) but I did get back stretching exercises from my PT friends and added Yoga to exercise routine.

That all helped to an extent, but it is still not tolerable. I never had to exert so much effort into mitigating a car seat issue.

I don't doubt there are many who are happy with the seats. For me, the issue is 100% the seat.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

OldSport wrote: Whenever I do trade in, I will not mention the seats, as the dealer would sense desperation and low ball.
Ask the dealer to make you an offer, and take it if you want, but don't be afraid to sell private party if they try to "steal" your car.
JGM1965

Post by JGM1965 »

Yeah,I agree with the Op. Bought a 2013 Ex and while it wasn't apparent on the test drive, it soon became obvious that the seats on these were excruciating. Back pain and your reaction to a car seat is very personal. It seems to me that the short seat cushion and lack of lower back support made regular trips to my chiropractor a part of my life. Shame was the car was superb in so many other ways and I got a great deal on it. I threw away over a grand trying not to dump the car and take a loss, had an upholstery shop put extra material in the cushions, bought an expensive pair of sheepskins, every sort of portable cushion imagineable. Nothing helped. Finally ate it and bought a Toyota Avalon which suits my back fine and is incredibly comfortable. Only advice I'd give is try to rent cars on vacation that you can check out for an extended period in the future,
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

OldSport wrote:
sharpjm wrote:
Thanks...I spent 2 weeks fiddling with all of the adjustments and looking at ergonomic articles and videos. I won't let anyone else touch the drivers seat due to how much adjusting I did. That effort certainly did improve things, but the pain was still noticeable and unacceptable for long term use.

I don't personally believe in chiropractors (for me) but I did get back stretching exercises from my PT friends and added Yoga to exercise routine.

That all helped to an extent, but it is still not tolerable. I never had to exert so much effort into mitigating a car seat issue.

I don't doubt there are many who are happy with the seats. For me, the issue is 100% the seat.
The seat settings can easily be saved via buttons on the drivers' side door... so there's no reason to "not let anyone else touch the drivers seat" But I'm sure you knew that already since you own the car.

I'm quite happy with the seats in my car and not a single passenger has ever complained about them. The links you posted earlier suggest 5 people complained about 2017 accord seats and 11 complained about 2016 seats. I expect the overwhelming majority have no issues with the seats.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

I have a 2017 Accord and the seats are fine on long trips. That said, if you hate the car get rid of it. Or test out some of the add on seat cushion that other posters have linked to.
mckaydw

Post by mckaydw »

I'm surprised at the number of people that seem to have bought vehicles without making sure they like how the seats feel.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

sharpjm wrote:
OldSport wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor

Overly dramatic response continues...

There is advice in this thread... recommend reading it.

I for one linked to and read the article you recommended on spotting trolls and impostors. I did not see any of the warning signs cited in that article exhibited in oldsport's original or subsequent posts. Funny thing is, the only warning sign from that article that I did see breached in this string was someone's unfounded repeated assertions that oldsport is an impostor.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

mckaydw wrote:I'm surprised at the number of people that seem to have bought vehicles without making sure they like how the seats feel.
I test-drove my model of car before buying mine new in March 2014. No problem noted.
I drove my car for 7 hours from the dealership to my home the day I bought it. No problem noted.
I drove it for months. No problem noted.
One day I noticed excruciating back pain when I hit a bump.
I just checked Amazon to see when I ordered the lumbar pillow that I linked above: November 2014. IIRC I tried two other support pillows before settling on that one.

I'm not sure exactly when I noticed the problem that the lack of lumbar support in the seat (and, yes, it does have adjustable "lumbar support"), but it is safe to say that I drove that car for 7 months before I realized that the seat was an issue for me.

Back-pain seems to be very idiosyncratic, and not all car seats are alike. I can drive my wife's vehicle for 8-10 hours a day with no cushion without back pain. I have never required a cushion in any other vehicle. I have no issues at all believing that the OP has a legitimate complaint, and I have been surprised by some of the comments in this thread.
czr

Post by czr »

There would be no reason for the op to bash Honda and then suggest himself to pick the Acura. It's the same car company so it's not like he's a shill for another car manufacturer bashing a brand then recommending the luxury line of the same brand. Seems pointless.

Anyway, I have a 15 TLX tech and had a 16 Accord so they are the same generation as both cars you mentioned above. The quality of materials are markedly better including the seats and there is more support in the Acura so it is a definite upgrade but my back never hurt in the Accord. Side note, the TLX TECH package and above are the trims with Napa leather versus fake leather in lower models.

There was a post before about someone who bought a TSX (older gen 4 cylinder TLX) and their back hurt at first but got used to it but there are hints here too: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=190506

I think the current Accord is great and before dumping the car try the cheaper seat mod options above and I suggest you check driveaccord.net forum for other Accord owner perspectives. If that doesn't help, then maximize your dollar by seeing how much you can get in trade versus selling the Accord private party after all sales tax benefits. You won't lose your shirt if you really got a good deal. (Can I ask how much you paid for your Accord Touring before tax, tags, fees? PM me) Check carmax, carvana and beepi and see what the rock bottom price is and when purchasing another vehicle use that offer as leverage to maximize trade in value. Ask the dealer for an extended test drive in the TLX or next target vehicle. They'd let you keep it for 24 hours so you can extensively test the entire car including seat comfort. Toyota and especially Lexus are more known for comfort than Honda which has more sportier rides. I do notice the car manufacturers getting cheaper with materials on entry-level models to push their luxury offerings. I can feel the angst in your post and hope you can resolve your issue.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

OP, I don't have any experiences with Honda, but I've found with my own cars on long drives that the back pain is sometimes due, not to the back support, but rather to how your legs are treated. It helps to adjust your seat as the drive continues, every 15 minutes or so, a little higher, a little less reclined, a little lower, etc., to keep your posture changing. Doing some squats during rest breaks helps.

I have a memory foam pillow that I occasionally use, and sit on, for drives longer than a couple of hours.

I'm sorry that you have had your authenticity questioned. I have sensitive troll-dar, and you frankly sound like someone whose desperation and regret boiled over and made you sign up and post. Maybe the takeaway is that long time readers should sign up and post something innocuous so that their first post isn't so forceful, but that's unlikely to happen.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

OldSport wrote: This turned out to be the single most stupid purchase decision I have ever made.
Big deal. So you made a dumb decision, take the loss and relish the very smart decisions you have made in your life. Learn from it and move on.

I am recently coming off of such a decision myself. I bought a used X5 and like an idiot, I did not even check the free car fax. I owned it for about a year, had the engine rebuilt twice, only to blow it up a third time. All told it probably cost me a total of 15K to have a car that spent most of its time in the shop. It still cost me even more. My wife refused to buy any used car, she had to buy new. We got a good deal, but still I could have save about 4K to buy a very gently used car.

One can continue to kick themselves for a very small decision that was poor, but the sooner you get over it the better. How much did your investment portfolio make this year? How did you get there? I know the answer to the later, my making small excellent decisions over time. You are a champion NFL quarterback that happened to throw an interception. Okay, recover and win the game.

If it was me, I'd trade the car once you find a car that better suits your needs.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

OldSport wrote:Is the Acura TLX any better for seat comfort?
Comfort is a very subjective thing. There are those that find X's seats comfortable and those that do not. Now that you know that it takes an extended time to verify seat comfort for you then take that into consideration when test driving cars and request an extended test drive. Some dealers will offer a test drive over the weekend or similar.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

+1. I've owned Accords since 1983 and have no problems.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

djpeteski wrote:
OldSport wrote: This turned out to be the single most stupid purchase decision I have ever made.
Big deal. So you made a dumb decision, take the loss and relish the very smart decisions you have made in your life. Learn from it and move on.

I am recently coming off of such a decision myself. I bought a used X5 and like an idiot, I did not even check the free car fax. I owned it for about a year, had the engine rebuilt twice, only to blow it up a third time. All told it probably cost me a total of 15K to have a car that spent most of its time in the shop. It still cost me even more. My wife refused to buy any used car, she had to buy new. We got a good deal, but still I could have save about 4K to buy a very gently used car.

One can continue to kick themselves for a very small decision that was poor, but the sooner you get over it the better. How much did your investment portfolio make this year? How did you get there? I know the answer to the later, my making small excellent decisions over time. You are a champion NFL quarterback that happened to throw an interception. Okay, recover and win the game.

If it was me, I'd trade the car once you find a car that better suits your needs.
Very good perspective and advice. All (or most) of us have made an occasional bad decision from time to time. If you make a lot of decisions, and we all do, you are occasionally going to be wrong. Recover from it, get over it and life goes on.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

LOL, I bought an Accord Sport a couple years ago went through a similar phase. During the test drives the car was fine but it wasn't until later that I experienced leg pain and back pain.

My debugging process
- Sat in my wife's Honda Pilot (super comfy) and my Toyota Tundra (also comfy) and noted my seating position carefully
- Duplicated the arrangement via seat adjustments in the Accord. Turned out I needed to raise the seat a great deal in order to gain thigh support.
- Distance from the steering wheel is also important. Sitting too far away causes reaching and thus arm fatigue
- Adequate leg space is also required to allow arms to be at proper length. Adjustments were not enough.

Changes
- In the Sport at least, there is a very large "foot rest" under the carpet, at least 6 inches of foam. I pulled up the carpet and chopped off about 4 inches of this block, then stuck the carpet back on with spray adhesive. Now had I leg room!
- I had some neck pain initially. Turns out the head rests point 'forward' quite a bit, much more than my Tundra or Pilot. I did some research on forums and ended up bending the vertical support bars about 20 degrees to allow the head rest to be more vertical. No more pain!

Without those two mods I would have ended up selling the car, it was that bad. Now I'll be keeping it for 250k miles.

In the future, I will factor in seat design and comfort with much higher priority. In particular the new Volvos seem to have some of the best seats in the industry. We're planning on getting an XC90 for my wife and wow, they have great seats! You can pick from 'comfort', 'contour', 'inscription' and 'R-design' all with increasing levels of support and adjustment. The head rests also do not point toward the back of your head. Worth every penny. I can already see myself in the S90 Sedan :mrgreen:
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Seating comfort can be very personal/individual.

There are many posts online about people having issues with the comfort of the seats in the new car I just bought. I find them to be extremely comfortable, even on long drives.

I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up. If the seats were comfortable after a 20-30 min test drive, it's hard to know that they wouldn't be for a longer trip.

For your next vehicle, see if you can get a loaner from the dealer overnight or see if you can rent the car for a couple of days.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

man that's rough! I have the same problem with couches.

Best seats of any car I've ever owned are in my 2006 330i. Sport seats with full adjustment(lumbar, side bolsters, thigh support) I think I may make them fit into any other car I buy. I've never had anything so sublime that I use and appreciate on a daily basis.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I once had a work vehicle that I just could not get comfortable in. And half day drives were part of the job. This had never happened to me before (or after). I was miserable. :(

I finally had a blow up lumbar support installed in the seat. This is not an add on cushion - but something built into the seat with a button control to blow up or let air out. By all appearances, it was just part of the original vehicle.

That took care of the problem for me. After a few weeks, I forgot that I'd ever even had the problem.
vinvedi

Post by vinvedi »

munemaker wrote:
djpeteski wrote:

Very good perspective and advice. All (or most) of us have made an occasional bad decision from time to time. If you make a lot of decisions, and we all do, you are occasionally going to be wrong. Recover from it, get over it and life goes on.
+1 The key is to keep making decisions, keep learning, keep living!