Reimbursed HSA expense?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Offshore

Reimbursed HSA expense?

Post by Offshore »

Concierge medicine costs $6,500. in my town. I am considering it for my family. Can the cost be paid from an HSA? Bear in mind, the concierge medicine physician becomes the primary care physician, with a longitudinal relationship (not a one time visit).
Here is one answer I found, but a bit confusing to me:

"if the expense is directly related to a qualified medical service that has been provided, it is reimbursable. If it is only for access to services, or the right to “get in the door,” then it is not a qualified medical expense for HSA/FSA reimbursement purposes."

Please, not let's get into the discussion of why concierge medicine. Thanks!
jebmke

Re: Reimbursed HSA expense?

Post by jebmke »

What was the source of the quote?
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I pay a modest concierge fee. The bill always states (in bold) that this expense is not allowable for HSAs. Not quite sure why my MD feels he must be a tax advisor too, but I believe his statement on this.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

You can not use the HSA for "membership" fees.

https://www.wageworks.com/employees/sup ... e-expenses

Go down to Concierge medicine on the chart, not valid.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Just want to make it clear that the intention of this comment is not to go political and to discuss hypothetical legislation (as both are against the rules). However, the new healthcare law up for a vote.... one of the benefits being touted is expansion of HSAs such you would be able to pay healthcare insurance premiums from HSA accounts.

I say that because the way it was talked about.... I don't think that there's a way to legally do that now as affirmed by several posters above.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.