Cheap eggs... how bad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
workingovertime

Cheap eggs... how bad?

Post by workingovertime »

Winn-Dixie and Walgreens recently had a dozen eggs for sale for $0.79. I went to Save-A-Lot today and they had it for $0.49.

I'm just wondering how chicken farms could even produce eggs that cheap... and how bad are these eggs for you? Chickens must be grown in terrible conditions to make any kind of profits with these prices.

I'm very into fitness and I consume lots of eggs (probably averages about 5 per day, whites only). I don't think I can afford the better ones that are like $3+/dozen though.
renue74

Re: Cheap eggs... how bad?

Post by renue74 »

The price difference may only be the issue from store to store. You should look at the label....Grade A, AA, B are all regular supermarket eggs. If you are comparing these eggs between supermarkets, there are no differences in the treatment of the actual hen laying the eggs.

If you go up a type and hit cage free or free range...that's where they start getting expensive.

Post by 123 »

I just buy regular eggs for 99 cents or $1.49 a dozen at Walgreens or Smart & Final. I suppose they are loss leaders to get people in the store, it works on me. I shudder when I look at the price of eggs in local Whole Foods store, often $4+ to $9+ a dozen, at those prices they must have had to bargain with each chicken for the loss of their potential offspring. Of course the eggs from Whole Foods do come in a very nice, and often somewhat elegant, carton.

I was raised in an area that had egg ranches all over. I can't comprehend much of a difference in the healthyness/quality of the eggs. Some neighbors raised chickens on the ground, based on what those chicken ate I wouldn't be enthused about "free range" eggs.

Edited to add:
Chickens have very few taste buds so they often don't discriminate about what they try to eat.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Interesting. I saw eggs 74 cents/doz in the store today, but didn't get them because had I bought two dozen at 79 cents/doz earlier this week at another store.

I put it down to chickens laying a lot of eggs on the longest days of the year.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
DragonWell

Post by DragonWell »

Do you really want to know? Ignorance is bliss.

Eating Animals by Jonathan Foer will give you an idea of what's going on -- it's extremely depressing.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Factory farmed eggs, probably from battery caged hens that can't move. I'd say really bad.

Quality > Quantity. I'd rather have 1 dozen eggs from pasture raised hens than 10 dozen factory farmed.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
workingovertime

BW1985 wrote:Factory farmed eggs, probably from battery caged hens that can't move. I'd say really bad.

Quality > Quantity. I'd rather have 1 dozen eggs from pasture raised hens than 10 dozen factory farmed.
I'd strongly considered only eating meat (and all products from it like eggs) from only brands that raise them to certain standards.... I know it's just an excuse to myself but I just can't afford it - ESPECIALLY the amount that I eat. I eat incredibly a lot (6-8 meals per day) and my grocery bills are already crazy due to my fitness goals.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Stores sell eggs, bananas, etc, real cheap as loss leaders.

It's possible they aren't the freshest I suppose, drop one in water. If it lies on its side at the bottom of the glass it's very fresh. If it floats it's older (not necessarily unsafe by any means).

The farm eggs we buy sink like rocks.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

workingovertime wrote: I'm very into fitness and I consume lots of eggs (probably averages about 5 per day, whites only).
I wouldn't be too concerned about the cheaper eggs being in any way inferior, take advantage of the price wars going on in food right now. The bigger concern, to me, is why are you purposely tossing the most densely nutritious part of the egg?
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

There is a difference, but you won't see it between grocery chains. We live in a town with lots of family farms, once in a while for a treat my wife will get eggs from the local farmer... around $2-$4 a dozen.

The yolks are not yellow, they are dark orange. And the flavor is so different grocery store eggs are like eating cardboard once you have tried a farm fresh egg.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Massachusetts recently passed a bill requiring egg laying chickens to be housed in a space that averages at least a letter sized piece of paper per chicken. It was vehemently opposed by the industry. That should give you an idea about the conditions under which the chickens live.

Because cramming chickens so closely together increases the likelihood of disease, antibiotic use is ubiquitous.

I gladly pay more for free range eggs.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

jharkin wrote:There is a difference, but you won't see it between grocery chains. We live in a town with lots of family farms, once in a while for a treat my wife will get eggs from the local farmer... around $2-$4 a dozen.

The yolks are not yellow, they are dark orange. And the flavor is so different grocery store eggs are like eating cardboard once you have tried a farm fresh egg.
+1. However I have also found Vital Farms eggs, which are pasture raised and certified humanely raised, also have orange yolks. You can find these at certain stores like Target, Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme, etc.

Anyone who says there's no difference between any eggs has not had good eggs.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Abe

Post by Abe »

I bought grade A large eggs recently for .45c a dozen at Aldi.
Egg prices spiked with the avian flu outbreak. As a result, egg prices temporarily neared $3.00 a dozen. Now the supply of eggs is back to normal, but exports of American eggs to other countries still haven't returned to their pre-bird flu levels. That's why prices have come down so much.
Slow and steady wins the race.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jharkin wrote:There is a difference, but you won't see it between grocery chains. We live in a town with lots of family farms, once in a while for a treat my wife will get eggs from the local farmer... around $2-$4 a dozen.

This is the answer. There is likely a difference if you are buying them directly from the source. Variance in prices between competing grocery stores? The eggs, despite the price difference, are extremely likely to come from the exact same source.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

sawhorse wrote:Massachusetts recently passed a bill requiring egg laying chickens to be housed in a space that averages at least a letter sized piece of paper per chicken. It was vehemently opposed by the industry. That should give you an idea about the conditions under which the chickens live.

Because cramming chickens so closely together increases the likelihood of disease, antibiotic use is ubiquitous.

Ofcourse industry opposes it, it would reduce their profits off selling a dozen eggs for $0.79. :oops:

What happens when the only thing that matters to consumers is rock bottom prices, only thing that matters to the industry is profits and there is little to no regulation? Mistreatment and suffering.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

I doubt the cheap eggs are any better or worse for you from a health standpoint than eggs from responsibly raised chickens. They do taste worse and buying them supports a truly atrocious industry. Factory farmed chicken might be the worst of all factory farming from an animal welfare standpoint (pigs do give them a run for their money).

Buy the better eggs for flavor alone. We raise our own but are occasionally between flocks and have to buy some from the store. The step down in quality and flavor is just depressing.
Topic Author
workingovertime

stoptothink wrote:
workingovertime wrote: I'm very into fitness and I consume lots of eggs (probably averages about 5 per day, whites only).
I wouldn't be too concerned about the cheaper eggs being in any way inferior, take advantage of the price wars going on in food right now. The bigger concern, to me, is why are you purposely tossing the most densely nutritious part of the egg?
A moderate amount is okay but I often eat 8 whites at a time every day or every other day after a rigorous workout or sometimes just in the morning (thus about avg 5 per day) and eating that much yolks at a time is just too much cholesterol. I also like to reduce my fat intake. I eat a lot throughout the day so if I don't cut down in some areas, it would be too much in my opinion despite how much I exercise.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

123 wrote: I was raised in an area that had egg ranches all over. I can't comprehend much of a difference in the healthyness/quality of the eggs. Some neighbors raised chickens on the ground, based on what those chicken ate I wouldn't be enthused about "free range" eggs.

Edited to add:
Chickens have very few taste buds so they often don't discriminate about what they try to eat.
Are you afraid that the chickens ate :gasp: worms and bugs!??? That's just terrible.

OP, I raise my own layer hens and I don't think there is a huge nutritional difference but the yolks of pastured eggs are definitely superior in taste and appearance. The cheaper eggs may be smaller however. Whether the improvement in taste or appearance matters is up to you. If you can't afford eggs from chickens that were treated reasonably humanely then that's a moral choice you'll have to make. High protein diets can be expensive and I don't blame you if you didn't want to get your extra protein from nasty whey supplements. Aside from seafood I'm not sure if many other foods have as high of a protein/carb/fat ratio as eggs
Last edited by barnaclebob on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaprecht

Post by kaprecht »

It sound like you are in a tricky spot:
1) Need lots of protein
2) Are on a budget
3) Are concerned about animal welfare

These are all reasonable things, but are certainly in conflict. I know animal protein is a very easy source of all necessary amino acids, but have you considered going to a cheaper form of protein? The beans and rice diet has worked for millennia, is cheap, and covers all of your amino acids if you do it right.
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

I happily pay extra for free range and/or organic, but consume the whole egg including yolk, and often have eggs for dinner. It's a cheap dinner compared to beef. I really enjoyed a short time when duck eggs were available (for a premium price) from a nearby farm. If I was only eating egg whites, well, I just don't think I'd bother, find another protein source.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Since you are only eating the whites, you are likely to notice little taste difference between the "industrial eggs" and free-range or cage free.

Kroger brand stores typically have cage-free eggs for sale @ $1.99 / dozen every 6-7 weeks and $2.49 / doz between those sales. The 18 pack at Kroger stores works out to about $2.80/doz when not on sale.

I'd go free range for the sake of the birds, but my wallet tells me that cage free, though only a modest improvement, is about what I can handle in my budget.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

workingovertime wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
A moderate amount is okay but I often eat 8 whites at a time every day or every other day after a rigorous workout or sometimes just in the morning (thus about avg 5 per day) and eating that much yolks at a time is just too much cholesterol. I also like to reduce my fat intake. I eat a lot throughout the day so if I don't cut down in some areas, it would be too much in my opinion despite how much I exercise.
There is approx 3g protein in the white and 3g protein in the yolk so instead of eating 8 whites why not just eat 4 whole eggs? Would be much less wasteful and you could afford to buy certified humane/pastured eggs.

Do some research on the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol levels. I think your understanding may be differing from the latest research.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Aldi and Lidl have started an egg war in our area. Everyone is selling eggs for $.99 - maybe as a loss leader.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

BW1985 wrote:Anyone who says there's no difference between any eggs has not had good eggs.
+1! Our eggs come from our friends' pasture (where we help when we visit). Compared to real eggs from healthy chickens, lowest-bidder discount eggs are pale, runny imitations with flimsy shells.

A friend visiting from Europe asked "Why are American eggs so disgusting?"

-Marylander1
Last edited by Marylander1 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot »

It's generally accepted that factory farm chickens have pretty miserable conditions.
But just for nutrition, if you are just consuming mass quantities of egg white, that should limit the quality variation.
There isn't that much nutrition in egg whites other than the protein, so it may not matter much to you.
And you could probably substitute some humane source of lean protein, maybe soy protein.
(Is that the only complete protein from a vegetable source? Maybe quinoa or algae or something else.)
MrMojoRisin

Post by MrMojoRisin »

To tell if eggs are fresh or not put them in water. Eggs that float are not good. Eggs that sink are good. Eggs that group together and form their own forum are exceptional.

If you can find eggs raised local by mom and pop places the difference in the eggs is like the difference between American cheese and a good cheddar.....
Topic Author
workingovertime

BW1985 wrote:
workingovertime wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
There is approx 3g protein in the white and 3g protein in the yolk so instead of eating 8 whites why not just eat 4 whole eggs? Would be much less wasteful and you could afford to buy certified humane/pastured eggs.

Do some research on the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood chlosteol levels. I think your understanding may be differing from the latest research.
----deleted--- double post
Last edited by workingovertime on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
workingovertime

workingovertime wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
workingovertime wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

Do some research on the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood chlosteol levels. I think your understanding may be differing from the latest research.
Because it's not just about grams of "protein" And yes, there are so many research about whether cholesterol in egg yolks are good for you or bad for you. I personally choose not to eat yolks because I have a very strict diet for my goals.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BW1985 wrote:Do some research on the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol levels. I think your understanding may be differing from the latest research.
Ding! Ding! Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

Uh, okay, maybe not chicken dinner, but you know what I mean.

ETA: the egg white is incomplete protein, and won't sustain life for bacteria that get through the egg's relatively permeable shell. The yolk, otoh, is perfect and complete protein. Lotsa calories and fat, granted, but complete protein and so very yummy :D
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Basically, what it boils down to is that a couple years ago, a lot of the poultry population was lost due to illness.

The companies over compensated in ramping back up the population, and now we have too many chickens. It's safe to say that nobody's making money on those cheep (swidt?) eggs, and that's also why you're seeing lower prices on the meat.

On the other hand, it's hurting the backyard poultry business. My chick supplier is down 30% this year. My sales are down on feeders, waterers, all that kind of stuff. Laying feed is currently holding up, but without a strong supply of baby chicks hitting the pipeline, the next few years will be a draw down on that end too. People have a hard time justifying going to all the work of raising those chickens, even though the eggs are better, when they can pick up eggs for 39¢ a dozen on sale at Hy-Vee.

Post by 123 »

barnaclebob wrote: ...Are you afraid that the chickens ate :gasp: worms and bugs!??? That's just terrible. ...
Worms and bugs are healthy as far as I'm concerned. The thing that bothers me is when they pick and poke at the non-egg output from other chickens.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

123 wrote:
barnaclebob wrote: ...Are you afraid that the chickens ate :gasp: worms and bugs!??? That's just terrible. ...
Worms and bugs are healthy as far as I'm concerned. The thing that bothers me is when they pick and poke at the non-egg output from other chickens.
You're one of the people who should never go to the sausage factory if you want to continue to enjoy sausage.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Abe wrote:I bought grade A large eggs recently for .45c a dozen at Aldi.
Egg prices spiked with the avian flu outbreak. As a result, egg prices temporarily neared $3.00 a dozen. Now the supply of eggs is back to normal, but exports of American eggs to other countries still haven't returned to their pre-bird flu levels. That's why prices have come down so much.
This nails it. (Some of the responses in this thread are off-topic.) Egg prices, like many commodities, are volatile, and depend on many factors. It's noise. Stay the (egg) course!
dual

Post by dual »

BW1985 wrote:
sawhorse wrote:Massachusetts recently passed a bill requiring egg laying chickens to be housed in a space that averages at least a letter sized piece of paper per chicken. It was vehemently opposed by the industry. That should give you an idea about the conditions under which the chickens live.

Ofcourse industry opposes it, it would reduce their profits off selling a dozen eggs for $0.79. :oops:

What happens when the only thing that matters to consumers is rock bottom prices, only thing that matters to the industry is profits and there is little to no regulation? Mistreatment and suffering.
California passed an egg law a few years ago. It threw the egg industry for a loop and for a few months eggs were either unavailable or about $5/dozen for extra large. But they quickly recovered. Now eggs are abundantly available and about $1.25 for extra large and $1.49 for jumbos per dozen at Trader Joes. You can't keep free enterprise down :sharebeer

Eggs are an incredible bargain: a nutritional powerhouse that's good for you.

BTW, as with all things in nutrition, the health effects of the cholesterol in egg yolks is hotly debated.

BBTW, CA has such a huge population that probably most eggs in the Western US are raised under CA conditions although the only evidence I have is eggs purchased in Arizona
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

workingovertime wrote:
BW1985 wrote:Factory farmed eggs, probably from battery caged hens that can't move. I'd say really bad.

I'd strongly considered only eating meat (and all products from it like eggs) from only brands that raise them to certain standards.... I know it's just an excuse to myself but I just can't afford it - ESPECIALLY the amount that I eat. I eat incredibly a lot (6-8 meals per day) and my grocery bills are already crazy due to my fitness goals.
Can't you just eat less and cut back a bit on the gainz?
Topic Author
workingovertime

reriodan wrote:
workingovertime wrote:

Can't you just eat less and cut back a bit on the gainz?
Haha no. Lol
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
123 wrote:
You're one of the people who should never go to the sausage factory if you want to continue to enjoy sausage.
Sausage is also one of those things thats not so bad when you DIY. Imagine making pork meatloaf but then stuffing it into casings.

Also my chickens (usually the young ones that don't know better) have a clear negative reaction every time they have a peck at droppings.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I agree with others...if you are concerned about value and ethics, then please use the whole egg.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I don't have any scientific evidence to support that notion of that organic eggs are better than factory farmed eggs. But after watching "Food Inc", I only buy organic eggs now. Usually cost about $4 at my local HEB. Grocery is very small part of our household budget and I don't want to cheap out on eggs.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

kaprecht wrote:It sound like you are in a tricky spot:
1) Need lots of protein
2) Are on a budget
3) Are concerned about animal welfare

These are all reasonable things, but are certainly in conflict. I know animal protein is a very easy source of all necessary amino acids, but have you considered going to a cheaper form of protein? The beans and rice diet has worked for millennia, is cheap, and covers all of your amino acids if you do it right.
Rice kills a ketogenic diet.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

The $6/dozen eggs I buy go well with the $6/half gallon grass fed cow's milk. Quality costs. Why skimp on what goes down my throat?
mrc

Post by mrc »

TomatoTomahto wrote:...
ETA: the egg white is incomplete protein, and won't sustain life for bacteria that get through the egg's relatively permeable shell. The yolk, otoh, is perfect and complete protein. Lotsa calories and fat, granted, but complete protein and so very yummy :D
Egg white contains all nine essential amino acids, so they are "complete." The omega-3 omega-6 fatty acid composition differs considerably between industrial and pastured eggs. I eat whole eggs. If I wanted only the protein in the whites, I would go with powdered or liquid whites — I can't deal with tossing the yolks.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
junior

Post by junior »

workingovertime wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
I'm guessing there are alternatives to your egg white plan an expert could provide.

For what it's worth a licensed nutritionist recommends low fat chocolate milk after a muscle workout. It's a source of protein and sugar is good to re-energize the muscles, evidently.
fposte

Post by fposte »

junior wrote:
For what it's worth a licensed nutritionist recommends low fat chocolate milk after a muscle workout. It's a source of protein and sugar is good to re-energize the muscles, evidently.
Plus it's tastier than eggs :D. The main research is actually by a professor of kinesiology; there is no licensure for the term "nutritionist" in the US ("dietician" is the one you have to have qualifications to use).
junior

Post by junior »

fposte wrote:
junior wrote:
Plus it's tastier than eggs :D. The main research is actually by a professor of kinesiology; there is no licensure for the term "nutritionist" in the US ("dietician" is the one you have to have qualifications to use).
Good point, I got my terminology wrong. The "chocolate milk" suggestion after a work out is actually something I got from this video class from The Great Courses company:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/ ... clear.html
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

I would suggest backyard chickens but I believe there is already a coyote problem? I can only eat restaurant eggs scrambled, eggs other than farm fresh are disgusting. My bad, confused the OP. No idea about coyote but can't delete post
"not all storms are in the forecast"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

IMHO, cheap eggs don't taste like anything. I grew up on a farm with lots of chickens and can tell you that those bleached white eggs you buy at the supermarket are not what eggs are supposed to look like. The best eggs in terms of taste (and probably nutrients as well, although I'm no poultry scientist or nutritionist) are small, speckled, and brown (sometimes with an ever-so-slight bluish or greenish tint). That's what I try to buy, whether they're free-range or organic or whatever.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

There definitely is a color difference but having access to both, I don't notice much of a taste differences. Perhaps I don't have as good a palette. I do know that if you boil them, they are definitely easier to peel.

On a related note, we have stopped buying chicken from the grocery store and instead buy if from a local farmer. There is a stunning difference in taste and how it cooks compared to factory chickens. I will never buy a factory chicken from a grocery store again. I will go without if we run out. I will however buy the eggs if we run out of the farm fresh ones.