Expensive Car Repair, New Engine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coincollector

Expensive Car Repair, New Engine

Post by coincollector »

I've been having minor issues with my vehicle and so I took it to get looked at. To my surprise I was told that the engine is shot and it needs replaced. I couldn't believe this because I bought the car lightly used and I've taken excellent care of it, following the recommended service guidelines and everything, since I bought it. I'm obviously getting a second opinion but if the engine is indeed gone would an engine replacement be a good idea? I've had zero issues with the vehicle until now. It is a 2011 Ford Focus with only 65,000 miles on it. I had planned on driving this car for many more years, at least 6 more, but I don't know if spending $5k on a new engine is a good idea or not.
Thesaints

Re: Expensive Car Repair, New Engine

Post by Thesaints »

If you like the car go ahead, but otherwise I'd get a new one. This one was born under a bad sign.

Post by 123 »

Maybe a used engine from a salvage yard (i.e. no front end damage) would be a lot less. Evaluate the alternatives with an independent repair shop. If you could get the repair cost down to $2,500 or less it might be more acceptable.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

A car with only 65K on the odometer should not require a complete engine overhaul. Get a new car, a 2016 model 4 door sedan A/T winter package, technology package costs $25K out the door.
For 1/5 of that you get a new engine and a 6 year old car? No, I'd rather buy a new car with a mfg warranty that covers bumper to bumper and then you the original owner will know exactly how the car was maintained and driven. 65K is way waay too early for it to go.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

I once had an engine replaced with a completely rebuilt one, along with a bunch of other work done at the same time, and it came in at $3,500. I would shop around.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

eBay has a ton of used Ford Focus 2.0 Engines.

Here is one with 55k, 6 month warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Ford-Focus ... 11&vxp=mtr

There would still be a good install charge.

Find a smaller/local shop, tell them you have an engine, how much to install?
hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns »

What did the shop say was wrong with the engine? If properly maintained, an engine on a newer car should never fail that early. This would seem to indicate either a manufacturing error or gross neglect/misuse. I would get a second opinion. If the engine is indeed bad you might try taking it to the dealership you bought it from and complaining.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Average labor to R&R the motor with LKQ(used) motor will be in the 8-12 hour range with changover kit required (possible belts, fluids, gaskets). The whole job should come in under 2000.00 with a good reasonable shop and you buying the motor at 6-800. Make sure you are able to confirm the engine VIN and the vehicle vin match if paying for low mileage.

Good luck on your decision,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it because this is defiantly a hard decision. I only have $10k or so saved up for a new car and I'm old school, if you don't have the cash don't buy it. I've also driven some real clunkers in my life, broken odometer, no airbags, faulty electrical system that shorted out the battery every 6 months. I try to find the best car for the money and then drive it as long as possible by taking as good of care of it as possible. Every car has a lifespan but this one seems to have met its make way too early. I really don't think I could find a better car for that price. The $5k would be a re-manufactured engine from Ford (3 year, unlimited mile warranty) and installed by a tech who only works on Ford engines. I've also been looking at local junk yards and Ebay. I prefer a local junkyard if I go that route because I can see where the accident damage is. Let's be honest, if you get a used engine it came from a wreck.

So, the first mechanic said they found excessive blow from piston rings and the car is burning a lot of oil. Engine has internal damage and will need replaced. He said this sort of thing just happens, when is the only unknown. My issue, and the reason I'm going for a second opinion, is that his story just doesn't add up. I had my oil changed 2 months ago and the level hasn't budged a centimeter. How can it burn oil but the oil lever stay constant? I ran the car while parked and popped the hood and I didn't smell anything burning (I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night). He also said that when he got up to speed on the highway the car just pored smoke. I've never seen it do this once. No smoke, noises, rattling, skipped/slipped gears, warning lights, nothing. I'm not a mechanic but I'm having a hard time believing his story but who knows it could be true.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

From your description, I would get a second opinion before bothering to do much more research of your options. You didn't notice any major issues and don't seem to believe the mechanic who told you that you did.
edge

Post by edge »

There is no way I would repair. But I would get a second opinion first
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

Doom&Gloom wrote:From your description, I would get a second opinion before bothering to do much more research of your options. You didn't notice any major issues and don't seem to believe the mechanic who told you that you did.
The only issue I've had, and the reason I took it into get looked at to begin with, is because I've noticed the car being sluggish recently. It's been taking a while to get up to speed, more than normal at least. Sometimes, not often, it will have a slight jerk at around 25mph, its as if the car has finally decided to speed up. It was never something I was overly concerned about and I filed it away as minor but I defiantly wanted it to get checked out. I always like to do my research and if the engine is indeed dead, I was hoping to get others opinion on the matter and see if anyone had experience with replacing an engine. Its not a repair that I've ever had done before.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

With 10k you can almost buy a used BMW which will last you many years.
hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns »

So, the first mechanic said they found excessive blow from piston rings and the car is burning a lot of oil
This is extremely easy to test for and any competent mechanic can quickly test and see if it's true.
Engine has internal damage and will need replaced
Is not consistent with a piston ring not properly sealing unless you ran the engine to a low oil level.

Get another opinion...there is nothing else to say.
cseinv

Post by cseinv »

Similar type of issue here.

I have 2006 Ford Focus Wagon bought used in 2009 with 33k miles and this 4th of July weekend we took it to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Got off the
expressway in Wisconsin and after stopping the car would not go above 20 mph without revving hard and not shifting. Luckily a car shop owner saw me and stopped and asked if I needed help. We drove slow to his shop and found out the transmission was done for. Have been maintaining the car for 8 years religiously, has been running great everywhere we go. The car has 160k now and am deciding if I should salvage it or keep try to fix it? I had to get a rental for the rest of the trip and am out $400.00 into that plus the cost of $350 to get the focus back to Michigan. Most friends say to just salvage it and move on with it. I have been driving this car all over trips in Michigan but not as far as this weekend to Minnesota. I think with the heat the trans-fluid burnt up through the heavy stop and go traffic. I did not maintain the trans-fluid as much, and wish I would of thought of this before I left. So I think the best bet for me would be try to sell it to someone who wants to fix the transmission.
certifiedfordtec

Post by certifiedfordtec »

As a certified master mechanic by Ford, something doesn't add up. Get a second opinion.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

certifiedfordtec wrote:As a certified master mechanic by Ford, something doesn't add up. Get a second opinion.
+1 and I'm a certified shade tree mechanic.
If I am stupid I will pay.

Post by 123 »

Just a side note. The primary indicators I monitor for our cars are gas mileage and smog test results (changes). Those can tell you a lot. Depending on the symptoms you observe you might want to send an oil sample to www.blackstone-labs.com for analysis ($28) to see what they say.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

How many miles do you go between oil changes?
Do you add ANY oil between oil changes?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
czr

Post by czr »

Take it to a Ford dealer for the second opinion and if the diagnosis is the same have the service manager open a complaint to Ford headquarters and they may cover most or some of a rebuild, remanufactured, or new engine and install. Your power train warranty just expired it so a goodwill repair is feasible.
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:How many miles do you go between oil changes?
Do you add ANY oil between oil changes?
When I first got the car I was changing oil every 4 months/3,600 miles but the miles I'm driving has decreased in the past year or so. I'm now looking at every 4 months/2,400 miles. As far as adding oil, never had to. The oil level has always stayed level. My previous car burned oil like you wouldn't believe. I got into the habit of checking the oil level back then and made sure to keep a close eye on it. But I've never had to with this Ford, the level has always stayed consistent.
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

czr wrote:Take it to a Ford dealer for the second opinion and if the diagnosis is the same have the service manager open a complaint to Ford headquarters and they may cover most or some of a rebuild, remanufactured, or new engine and install. Your power train warranty just expired it so a goodwill repair is feasible.
A Ford dealer will be giving me the second opinion, I never thought of complaining to Ford. In theory the engine could be going bad but the only reason for that would be manufacturing defect. Who knows if it would work but never hurts to ask. Thank you czr for the idea.
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

2comma wrote:
certifiedfordtec wrote:As a certified master mechanic by Ford, something doesn't add up. Get a second opinion.
+1 and I'm a certified shade tree mechanic.
Priceless, the best thing about sarcasm on the internet is no one can tell you to go to your room. Your sarcasm is etched on eternities wall for everyone to enjoy.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

My child pierced oil pan in a Chevrolet with a common 6 cylinder engine and blew out the engine. A local shade tree mechanic contacted salvage yards, found 2 best replacement engine candidates, asked me which one I preferred, bought and installed it for us and the car worked fine afterward for many, many years. Total cost was under $1K about 1993, so I think you can get this done (assuming it really is necessary to replace the engine) for well below $5K today.

Hint - if you go the used engine route, see if you can get the mechanic to clean out the oil pan in the replacement engine before installing.

In case you're considering replacing the Focus, you might want to check out the price of a new 2017 Camry. They apparently have a surplus of them and need to make room for the 2018s which have lots of new safety features and better fuel economy. I recently saw a 2017 Camry LE (new) on Truecar.com for under $17K which is a flat-out steal. The Camry should be reliable.

Whatever you choose to do, hope it works out well for you.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

Naw, I wasn't actually trying to be sarcastic. I have a great deal of respect for anybody that can get that certification from Ford. What I probably should have said is I've been rebuilding engines since I was 13 (49 years now) and something there just doesn't add up. A friend who I hadn't seen for years said he had missed my "dry wit". Maybe that's what it was.

With that said, I had a Ford truck I took to the dealer, long out of warrant, because of hard shifting (automatic). I had to bring it back for another issue and the guy asked if there was anything else, oh I said it's better but it's still shifting a little hard. Late afternoon they called to say they had to completely rebuild the transmission - my mind starts racing - but Ford is going to pay for everything, whew! A friend who had worked at a Ford dealership said they call that a hidden warranty. They aren't going to notify owners that there is a known problem but if anyone complains the manufacture will cover the repair cost.

Please let us know how this evolves.
If I am stupid I will pay.
keaton

Post by keaton »

I would keep running it, check the oil and record the usage. Also, cut it out with the extreme oil changes! Wow that's a bit excessive. Personally I would be more along the lines of 5K-7K miles if not more if you feel like getting a used oil analysis.

Get onto a Ford forum and chat with the guys on there, someone actually might be local to help out. WAY better to go to a good Indy tech over a dealer.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Engines just don't go bad anymore unless they are really abused or not maintained. How often do you hear of an engine replacement?
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Wow. 5000 miles out of warranty. Unbelievable.

I will be interested to hear what the second opinion is. I wonder if there was some sort of assembly mistake.

If you've kept your maintenance records, make sure you have them available when you drop it off for the dealer checkup.
onourway

Post by onourway »

While engine issues are relatively rare in modern vehicles, it's not impossible. It's worth noting that if this is a first-year 3rd generation rather than last-year second gen, this model has pretty much the worst reliability rating in its class http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Focus.html

Interested to hear the outcome of a second opinion!
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Something doesnt add up, you should be seeing lower oil levels when changing oil if things are that bad.
For excessive oil consumption you should be down 1+ quarts in 1000 miles.

I suspect the first mechanic is taking you for a ride...

I would ask the second mechanic to perform a compression test of the engine. This would tell if there is indeed a problem with the rings or valves.

If the engine is indeed low on compression, and if you can document your oil changes like you said they you need to complain to Ford and they need to buy you a new engine.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Rich Cape Cod

Post by Rich Cape Cod »

Friend of mine (retired physician) owns a high end BMW sedan (don't recall model). Only a few years old. Maintained his auto very well (the guy is anal!). His engine blew at around 65,000 miles. He bought a new one (engine) from BMW (yes, very expensive). So such things do happen.

Rich
Rich Cape Cod/AZ
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

If a well maintained (ie oil changes and not abused) car's engine goes in less than 150k miles it is a defective Sh*tbox. Unless it is a fluke I'd dump the vehicle and avoid that brand in the future. Otherwise a junkyard engine plus labor should be about $2-3k
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

As I recall, Clark Howard used to have a rule of thumb that you repair a used car if the repair was up to 50% of the value of the car. I believe he has recently revised that to be up to 100% of the cars vale based on a cr article. Any mechanical part such as an engine can fail due to numerous causes, but certainly a second opinion is needed.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

When I was 20, I had a Toyota Tercel that burned a quart of oil every 300 miles. I could rebuild/replace the engine for $1000's or i could add a quart of oil ($1) every fill up. Guess what I chose? I put on another 50,000 miles and it cost me $1 a week in extra oil. No big deal for a starving college student.

There's nothing wrong with driving a car that burns oil or gas blow by or a leak in the radiator or a leak in the power steering pump. Just monitor and refill regularly. Tires and brakes need to be in tip top condition. (Things that make you stop.)
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

Modern Fords are reliable cars, and that specific Focus has no known engine issues causing prematurely engine failure.

Sounds like a previous owner let the car overheat, run on low/no oil or something else caused by the previous owner's neglect of the car.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

SimonJester wrote:Something doesnt add up
Sure it does. The OP states that he bought the car "lightly" used. Unfortunately, there's no way for him to know for sure how it was maintained. I work in the business and I see lease returns all the time that have never had their oil changed. I've seen dealers retail used cars that came it rattling something horrible because they were low on oil. Top it off, put it out front on the lot.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
midareff

Post by midareff »

Doom&Gloom wrote:From your description, I would get a second opinion before bothering to do much more research of your options. You didn't notice any major issues and don't seem to believe the mechanic who told you that you did.
Definitely, there is really no way an engine with 65K miles and regular oil changes and care should need an overhaul.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

meowcat wrote:
SimonJester wrote:Something doesnt add up
Sure it does. The OP states that he bought the car "lightly" used. Unfortunately, there's no way for him to know for sure how it was maintained. I work in the business and I see lease returns all the time that have never had their oil changed. I've seen dealers retail used cars that came it rattling something horrible because they were low on oil. Top it off, put it out front on the lot.
It doesn't sound like the OP just bought the vehicle. Even if the car went too long without an oil change, it's unlikely that would be a reason for it to suddenly start burning oil after tens of thousands of miles of good service afterwards.

Another vote for a second opinion. Did the first mechanic do a compression or leakdown test? If so, what were the results? If not, I'd consider those tests mandatory before declaring the motor dead. On a modern computerized engine, there's a lot of electronic reasons why a motor might not be running right that have nothing to do with the motor itself.

Also, if the motor is burning a lot of oil, you will SEE it. There should be bluish smoke coming out the tailpipe. It would also likely quickly foul various sensors and trigger a check engine light (which you did not mention).
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

Good news, the technician at the dealer believes it is the fuel filter. He said he saw no smoke coming out of the tailpipe nor could he find any signs of the engine burning oil (same thing that I noticed). He also said the oil pressure was fine, no fluctuations and there were zero codes to read when a scanner was plugged in. He said the other place was probably just trying to sell something expensive to the first sucker that walked in but I really hope that isn't true. I hope it was just a mistake. I guess the moral of the story is if you feel uneasy about something always get a second opinion. Decisions should never be made on a knee jerk emotional reaction.

Also, I bought the car with ~30k miles on it, so I've had it a while. I figured if there were the original owner mistreated the vehicle I would have noticed by now.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

The thing that gets me is how the first mechanic jumped straight from excessive blow by to engine replacement.

I thought the usual repair was new rings and rehoning the cylinder, which while not cheap, is cheaper than a new engine.
keaton

Post by keaton »

Glad you got a second opinion... still, cut it out with the extreme oil change intervals. I believe it even states in the manual that its 7.5K OCI
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

iamlucky13 wrote:The thing that gets me is how the first mechanic jumped straight from excessive blow by to engine replacement.

I thought the usual repair was new rings and rehoning the cylinder, which while not cheap, is cheaper than a new engine.
I've never had major engine trouble so I had no idea what the "normal" course of action would be. The original mechanic told me that a new engine would be easier than rebuilding the current one. Rebuilding it would be the only way to "fix" the problem.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

A newer car that is burning oil may develop a stopped up catalytic converter. I don't know whether the catalytic converter can mask the heavy light grey smoke of severe oil burning. Also some engines that burn excessive oil will have bad valve guide seals which should be repairable/replaceable,the whole engine isn't shot.
A shot engine might have low oil pressure,make rattling and/or deep thudding sounds and blow oily fumes back into the air filter housing. Perhaps the valve spring or camshaft covers would be packed with sludge. Rarely a car engine might get assembled with loose or defective piston pins. Driving a car that is getting antifreeze into the oil could get catastrophic.
My father once had a worn out 1948 Oldsmobile,you carried a gallon jug of oil and added oil about every 100-200 miles during a trip. That car had a bad habit of ejecting oil out of the vent cap where you put it in. In retrospect (I was about 5 years old then) if I knew then what I know now we should have checked that car for having an obstruction such as a mouse nest blocking its road draft pipe. Modern cars don't have road draft pipes.
It does not sound like the O.P. car has anything internal wrong with the engine.
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

keaton wrote:Glad you got a second opinion... still, cut it out with the extreme oil change intervals. I believe it even states in the manual that its 7.5K OCI
My owners manual stat that the normal oil change interval is 6 months or 7,500 miles, so you are correct. I don't know why I've always gone every 4 months but this is definably something to stop doing.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

Having a plugged crankcase ventilation valve (or plugged up hoses that connect to it) or a valve which is the wrong one for that car could lead someone to suspect that blowby is excessive.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Sounds like great news to me!

OP, you are to be commended for being so charitable to the first mechanic. In your shoes, I would be hard-pressed to conclude that he was merely mistaken or incompetent.

Good luck--hope the fuel filter solves your original "minor issue."
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Fuel filters can be a pain. Most new cars have them inside the fuel tank inside the fuel pump. Some cars have access hatches near the e-brake or rear seats others expect you to drop the tank which is difficult and expensive. Gas in the US is typically very clean and filtered already so it isn't expected you will need to replace the filter.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If it's rings then you will either have high oil consumption or loss of compression which the engine computer will report as a misfire in a specific cylinder, and maybe also a catalyst damaging fault.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

iamlucky13 wrote:The thing that gets me is how the first mechanic jumped straight from excessive blow by to engine replacement.

These days, labor is such a big component of car repair that engine rebuilds are relatively rare except for performance cars or cars with unusually expensive/rare motors. It's usually cheaper and easier to drop in a junkyard motor.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

OP, though you posted about the engine, you don't seem to be aware of the issues with transmission failure due to a flawed design in the 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta and Focus. These problems are very well documented (just google Ford Focus transmission problems). Here's a link to a recent class action lawsuit settlement in Cali:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ ... ment.shtml

My daughter owns a 2012 Focus and we are in the process of replacing that piece of junk with a Toyota Corolla. I have been incredibly disappointed in Ford's response as a corporate entity--no consideration whatsoever other than an extended warranty to continue 'fixing' what is not fixable, ie a transmission whose design causes lurching, shuddering, stalling etc. It's a safety, not a convenience issue.

Sorry to personalize your question but your comment about lurching rang a bell! After 30+ years of being a loyal customer, I will never buy a Ford again simply because of how my daughter has been treated with this situation, and I'd advise you to educate yourself about the issues with your car before you are facing serious safety or financial problems due to them.