What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wilson08

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 »

The Intern

A young female entrepreneur(Anne Hathaway) is overwhelmed by
the fast-paced success of her internet based fashion business when
in steps a 70-year-old retired businessman(Robert De Niro) to add
a little diversity to the business. He becomes an invaluable counselor
and savvy business guy bringing some basic common sense to the tech
geek world. Great cast and the premise of the the baby boomer world
overlapping the tech geek world makes this a funny and touching film.
Last edited by wilson08 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

War Machine (2017) Brad Pitt, Topher Grace, Anthony Michael Hall, Russell Crowe (cameo). Netflix Original about a general with the Marines who is tasked with getting the US military out of Afghanistan, but is actually part of a political play he is unaware of. Supposedly, this story is about Stanley McChrystal, which Pitt's character is based on. Using voice-over narration for most of the exposition, War Machine gives some humor to characters that control wars and an uncanny outlook to what actually may happen behind the scenes. 2.5/5

The Founder (2016) Michael Keaton, Nick Offerman, John Carroll Lynch. Story of the "founding" of McDonald's restaurants as we know them today. Keaton plays salesman Ray Kroc, whose initially unsuccessful attempt to sell blenders gives him the fortuitous crossing of paths with the McDonald brothers, played by Offerman and Lynch. Lynch's character is overly trusting, while Offerman's is overly skeptical, although rightfully so, of Kroc. One more decent film to add to the renaissance of Michael Keaton's career (Birdman, Spotlight). 4/5
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Barefootgirl wrote:Hidden Figures. Too good of a story to be left to such banal script writing... too bad they turned something with such gravity into a Disneyesque cartoon tale.
Yes, they went way over the top. It's one thing to show the contributions these black women made to the Space Program; it's quite another to show one of them being the only person in NASA who can get the big mainframe working.

Another interesting (and true) part of the story was that John Glenn asked for the one woman to check the figures that came from the computer. He really did trust her that much. But he asked her to check the figures 2 days before the launch. Of course, the movie makes it so she is checking the figures 20 minutes before launch with everyone looking over her shoulder with lots of running to get the figures to the control room just in time.

I hate that so many movies twist the facts for dramatic effect.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Hacksaw Ridge.

Triggered something deep within me. Very emotional - a compelling story.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jginseattle wrote:Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer. Everything comes together beautifully in this comedy starring Richard Gere. Highly recommended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/movi ... -gere.html

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... hen-falls/
Just saw this yesterday. It's a fun movie.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Watched "Wonder Woman" yesterday with DW. Enjoyed it. Would recommend.
mancich

Post by mancich »

hmw wrote:Watched "Wonder Woman" yesterday with DW. Enjoyed it. Would recommend.
+1. The family and I just saw it today and I thought it was very well done, but I am a superhero movie geek :D
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Star Trek Beyond. Meh. I'll probably skip the next one with this cast.
telemark

Post by telemark »

MoonOrb wrote:I just watched "Alien: Covenant" today, and, wow. A lot of WTF type moments in it. I didn't have an awful time at the theatre, but I would recommend it only for people whose sci-fi fandom means they have a wide tolerance for mediocre movies. It will make no one forget the original (or its outstanding James Cameron-directed sequel).
This is visually spectacular. If you go, see it in a theater on the biggest screen you can find. Slick production, good acting. But otherwise I had a strong feeling of having seen this movie before, only with more suspense.

If you watch it at home, do it with some friends and see who can call out what's going to happen next.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Salesman

A man comes home and discovers his wife has been attacked by
an intruder. Although she is not seriously injured the husband is
determined to find the perpetrator. As a curious backdrop the
husband and wife are involved in the rehearsal and production
of Death of a Salesman in which they both have lead roles.

This movie emphasizes the point that vengeance, even when
achieved, can be very bitter. Winner of the Academy Award
for Best Foreign Language Film for 2017.
8/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Damned United. It's about EU football (what Americans call soccer) manager Brian Clough. I really enjoyed it even knowing very little about the teams/leagues mentioned. One warning, the film goes back in forth in time a number of times which was confusing at first.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

The Wizard of Lies (2017) Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer. This is a look at the story of Bernie Madoff told through narrative flashbacks as De Niro talks with a journalist from his prison. We all know the story: a massive Ponzi scheme, the largest in history I think, of the investment advisory arm of Madoff's securities brokerage. He'd take money in from wealthy or even not-so-wealthy investors who wanted to be with the man with the Teflon strategy, he'd return some "profits" to early investors by just cashing out some of the funds from the account that held no securities just cash, take in more if possible, spend it on himself and his family, supposedly without their knowledge, and eventually, after the 2008 crash, it all came to a grinding halt then massive collapse.

Some of the story shows De Niro as Madoff schmoozing wealthy elites into giving him hundreds of millions just before the financial crisis in an effort to avoid any loss on their investments. It also gives some insight into his sons' roles as market makers who may have been unaware or at least unconcerned with what was going on in investment advisory, which ended with one of them committing suicide and the other eventually succumbing to cancer. Madoff's wife Ruth is played by Pfeiffer whose character really isn't much more than the shell of a trophy wife that reflects Diane Keaton's role in the first two Godfather films.

I like documentaries about the financial crisis films and about finance in general (The Big Short, Margin Call) and to a lesser extent films about finance scandals (The Wolf of Wall Street, Rogue Trader, Boiler Room). The Wizard of Lies falls somewhere in between. We know the story, and most of what the film tells is probably true, but I would've liked to have seen more about what was going on on the 17th floor before the FBI raided it or more explanation of how the SEC flopped on figuring out the advisory scheme so many times. 4/5
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

amateurnovice wrote:The Wizard of Lies (2017) Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer. This is a look at the story of Bernie Madoff told through narrative flashbacks as De Niro talks with a journalist from his prison. We all know the story: a massive Ponzi scheme, the largest in history I think, of the investment advisory arm of Madoff's securities brokerage. He'd take money in from wealthy or even not-so-wealthy investors who wanted to be with the man with the Teflon strategy, he'd return some "profits" to early investors by just cashing out some of the funds from the account that held no securities just cash, take in more if possible, spend it on himself and his family, supposedly without their knowledge, and eventually, after the 2008 crash, it all came to a grinding halt then massive collapse.

Some of the story shows De Niro as Madoff schmoozing wealthy elites into giving him hundreds of millions just before the financial crisis in an effort to avoid any loss on their investments. It also gives some insight into his sons' roles as market makers who may have been unaware or at least unconcerned with what was going on in investment advisory, which ended with one of them committing suicide and the other eventually succumbing to cancer. Madoff's wife Ruth is played by Pfeiffer whose character really isn't much more than the shell of a trophy wife that reflects Diane Keaton's role in the first two Godfather films.

I like documentaries about the financial crisis films and about finance in general (The Big Short, Margin Call) and to a lesser extent films about finance scandals (The Wolf of Wall Street, Rogue Trader, Boiler Room). The Wizard of Lies falls somewhere in between. We know the story, and most of what the film tells is probably true, but I would've liked to have seen more about what was going on on the 17th floor before the FBI raided it or more explanation of how the SEC flopped on figuring out the advisory scheme so many times. 4/5
Was a really good book. Did not realize it was made into a film.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

stoptothink wrote:
amateurnovice wrote:The Wizard of Lies (2017) Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer. This is a look at the story of Bernie Madoff told through narrative flashbacks as De Niro talks with a journalist from prison. We all know the story: a massive Ponzi scheme, the largest in history I think, of the investment advisory arm of Madoff's securities brokerage. He'd take money in from wealthy or even not-so-wealthy investors who wanted to be with the man with the Teflon strategy, he'd return some "profits" to early investors by just cashing out some of the funds from the account that held no securities just cash, take in more if possible, spend it on himself and his family, supposedly without their knowledge, and eventually, after the 2008 crash, it all came to a grinding halt then massive collapse.

I like documentaries about the financial crisis and about finance in general (The Big Short, Margin Call) and to a lesser extent films about finance scandals (The Wolf of Wall Street, Rogue Trader, Boiler Room). The Wizard of Lies falls somewhere in between. We know the story, and most of what the film tells is probably true, but I would've liked to have seen more about what was going on on the 17th floor before the FBI raided it or more explanation of how the SEC flopped on figuring out the advisory scheme so many times. 4/5
Was a really good book. Did not realize it was made into a film.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

accidentally responded
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Baby Driver. A near-perfect blend of action, suspense, humor, sentimentality and music. Lots of fun.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... iting-for/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/movi ... lgort.html
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Despicable Me 3. It was funny, and better than the first one.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Saw Baby Driver yesterday. Enjoyed it. I've liked Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End), and I liked this one, too. It's fun and fast-paced and light and the action sequences are well-done. Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm are great as the supporting cast.

It also felt a little too much like an extended gimmick and there wasn't much plausible story underlying the movie. I liked it, and I can't think of a movie I've seen in the theatre that I've liked more this year, but I think that says a lot more about the movies I've seen this year than about this one.

Along the lines of Atlanta-based heist movies, I also saw Triple 9 this weekend, and I liked that a lot. Tremendous cast. Fairly by the numbers crime thriller but very well done.

(I think the same bank was robbed in both films, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not 100% sure).
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

I heard some friends talk about the movie Dinner with Beatriz. They were perplexed, and in the complicated tone of not recommending the movie to me, I had to! So, out of curiosity, I saw it.

Holy crap! Reminded me of a David Lynch movie such as Blue Velvet, with Dennis Hopper, wondering what the heck is going to happen in every scene. 1970s TV show “All in the Family” comes to mind too, when conflicting opinions of guests had with "Archie’s" character.

This is the type of dark-comic movie with a little bit of politics and a little bit of deep metaphysical discussions I long for. That discussion was hilarious because the other guests had no idea what Beatriz was talking about! On the serious side, Beatriz was not just “at odds” with the highbrow family she was having dinner with but at odds with the country and the world and where it is heading.

This is not a feel-good, happy ending movie but the message is clear and let us not forget that just because some people go temporarily insane, they see things we ordinary people cannot, or worse yet, we won't. If you want something different in your movie watching genre, this is it.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

Finally got to see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf on TCM last night. I remember when my parents went to see it in 1966 because my mother worshipped Liz and Dick and my father came home pissed off and forbid any of us to ever see it. For an extra treat watch it while you're four drinks drunk.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

KlingKlang wrote:Finally got to see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf on TCM last night. I remember when my parents went to see it in 1966 because my mother worshipped Liz and Dick and my father came home pissed off and forbid any of us to ever see it. For an extra treat watch it while you're four drinks drunk.
It is powerful. It sucks you in.

I saw a college production of the play that was extremely well done. I saw the play before the movie and saw the movie at its first run. Burton and Taylor were magnificent and Taylor got a well-deserved best actress Oscar. Sandy Dennis deserved her best supporting Oscar as well. George Segal did a fine job but I don't think the role was meaty enough to be award-making material. And Burton probably got cheated.

A few years back I bought the DVD. I think it took me 2 or 3 years to get up the courage to watch it. As one of the advertisements says: "Drop in for Drinks and Brace yourself. "
Last edited by bertilak on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

MoonOrb wrote:Saw Baby Driver yesterday. Enjoyed it.
Looking forward to seeing Baby Driver tomorrow, although I have been playing the groovy 2xCD soundtrack for the past few days so feel I have "seen" most of it already.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Red Bones
Raven Black
Blue Lightening
All are two episode Netflix movies based on the Ann Cleeves mystery novels set in the Shetland Islands. The scenery is great, and the movies largely track the books. I recommend these movies.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
PYITEJones

Post by PYITEJones »

wilson08 wrote:The Salesman

A man comes home and discovers his wife has been attacked by
an intruder. Although she is not seriously injured the husband is
determined to find the perpetrator. As a curious backdrop the
husband and wife are involved in the rehearsal and production
of Death of a Salesman in which they both have lead roles.

This movie emphasizes the point that vengeance, even when
achieved, can be very bitter. Winner of the Academy Award
for Best Foreign Language Film for 2017.
8/10
Absolutely excellent movie. The director's other films are well worth watching as well. Check out "About Elly."
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Watched Loving on HBO.

Jeff Nichols does so much with so few words. I'm a sucker for everything he makes.

Well-acted, intimate story about a relationship that also happened to be a Civil Rights milestone. It's the first movie I can recall seeing Ruth Negga in (played Mildred Loving) and she was awesome.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Since Michael Nyqvist of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series just passed away, I dug up Europa Report about a team of rather unselfish astronauts' ordeal traveling and landing on one of the Saturn's moon. Really enjoyed a "real" sci-fi movie. Found it a lot more enjoyable than Alien: Covenant at a much smaller budget and hype.

Separately, saw an older movie The Perfect Host by David Hyde Pierce of Fraser fame. It was a very entertaining and intriguing crime story. You do wondered who is the protagonist here. The ending took a very fast and devilish turn.

Both movies are about 90 minutes but very few dull moments.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hitler A Career on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I saw 47 Meters Down in the theaters.

I love to dive so I will watch pretty much any diving movie they make. If you realize that you are going to watch a stupid shark movie going in it can actually be pretty enjoyable. With that said... it's a stupid shark movie and I was openly rooting for the sharks.

Overall it was a fun dive movie that I'd recommend if it comes out on Netflix/Prime. The sharks were pretty terrifying.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

wilson08 wrote:Paterson

Paterson is a good-hearted, low key bus driver in Paterson, New Jersey
and has a very predictable, unswerving routine. He does have one passion:
in snippets of free time he writes poetry. Paterson meets some intriguing
characters during his prescribed days that add charm to this subtle and
unhurried film. I enjoyed this movie.
7.5/10
Watched "Paterson" this weekend. Enjoyed it also. Other than some domestic issues with some characters it was nice to see people getting along with people.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Watched Logan last night. Very gritty, dark, and raw installment of the X-men series with bits of really well-timed humor. Totally enjoyed the entire movie and can't wait to watch it again. It's not what I expected at all and definitely not a lighthearted movie you'd watch with kids.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

On Netflix and both excellent:

- Moana
- The Imitation Game
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

"The Exception." Unless you're a fan of WW II esoteria (the exile of Kaiser Wilhelm) or you want to see Chris Plummer do his thing, I don't recommend it.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Sicario (2015) Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, Benicio Del Toro. Drug cartels battle with FBI and border agents in this action thriller about a mysterious agent and his mission. Brolin displays the same bravado as his roles in Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and American Gangster. Blunt comes across as underwhelming but with flashes of instinct and rage. Del Toro is just a great actor and fun to watch. I really enjoyed this movie. 4.5/5

13 Hours (2016) John Krasinski. He is the biggest star of this movie by Michael Bay although I recognized plenty of other actors. The overly politicized event is brought to the screen here, but the characters aren't given much depth beyond "family man/badass soldiers" but that's what I expected from a Bay movie. 2/5

American Ultra (2015) Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Topher Grace. Potheads and CIA assets collide in this action comedy. The Eisenberg/Stewart dynamic worked well in Adventureland (2009), another one of my favorites. It's a fun movie. 3.5/5
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Their Finest

In the days after Dunkirk London is bombed relentlessly and the
spirit of the British people is at a low ebb. The film division of
the Ministry of Information endeavors to encourage and inspire
the public with some rousing and patriotic films. A young female
screen writer, who is new to the Ministry, is part of a team that
not only embellishes a real story but employs useful fabrications
to get the result they seek to achieve.
The atmosphere of the era is captured beautifully. Recommended.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Captain Fantastic (2016) Viggo Mortensen. A father raises his children in the forests of the Cascades to escape the ills of modern technology and society. 5/5
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

wilson08 wrote:Their Finest

In the days after Dunkirk London is bombed relentlessly and the
spirit of the British people is at a low ebb. The film division of
the Ministry of Information endeavors to encourage and inspire
the public with some rousing and patriotic films. A young female
screen writer, who is new to the Ministry, is part of a team that
not only embellishes a real story but employs useful fabrications
to get the result they seek to achieve.
The atmosphere of the era is captured beautifully. Recommended.
I enjoyed that one, too.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Hooked on Great British Baking Show and Great British Baking Show Class. Shows on Netflix and PBS. :)
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Saw The Mummy today starring Tom Cruise , did not enjoy it very much. They made a zombie out of it and tried to add a little humor it wasn't for me.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Just finished Paterson on Amazon, which I really liked. It is an interesting pairing with Inside Llewyn Davis, which I'm also watching right now. Both are meditations, in their own way, on the relationship between art and happiness.
FB01

Post by FB01 »

Hi,

Does Lion movie has any sex scene? I am planning to watch it my 7 year old kid. I read that there is some profanity but just want to confirm if there are some scenes, will avoid watching..

Any comment from who has seen?
Thanks, | FB
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Band of Brothers, on DVD. About 10 years ago, I received this 6-DVD box set as a Christmas present and watched the first 1 or 2 DVDs.

I have no idea why we (me and husband) stopped watching it, as we just ran through this 10-part HBO series over the past several weeks. Very well produced, we both liked it.

FYI - This series is now free on Amazon Prime.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

LadyGeek wrote:Band of Brothers, on DVD. About 10 years ago, I received this 6-DVD box set as a Christmas present and watched the first 1 or 2 DVDs.

I have no idea why we (me and husband) stopped watching it, as we just ran through this 10-part HBO series over the past several weeks. Very well produced, we both liked it.

FYI - This series is now free on Amazon Prime.
Almost everything Damian Lewis touches turns to gold.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

FB01 wrote:Hi,

Does Lion movie has any sex scene? I am planning to watch it my 7 year old kid. I read that there is some profanity but just want to confirm if there are some scenes, will avoid watching..

No sex scenes.
All the Best, | Joe
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Caught up on some things I hadn't gotten around to watching:

The Hateful Eight: compelling, hard to watch, and interesting commentary on misogyny and racism. Uneven performances from the cast, but some were excellent. Tarantino always has something interesting to say, in my opinion.

Made an interesting pairing with Get Out, where racism was the major theme. Interestingly, the first half, before things got really scary, was the least comfortable because of all of the microaggressions the main character experienced at the hands of his girlfriend's family and friends. Some of the parts also were wickedly funny--no surprise, considering Jordan Peele wrote and directed it.

I also finally saw The Arrival, which was atmospheric and slow and enjoyable enough, but barely made an impression with me.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

"Gold" starring Matthew McConaughey, an American crime drama based on a true story. I think most Bogleheads will really enjoy it.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Ricola wrote:"Gold" starring Matthew McConaughey, an American crime drama based on a true story. I think most Bogleheads will really enjoy it.
The true story is Canadian, Bre-X, and is even more incredible than the movie version. Quite a lesson there for speculators.
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

John Wick 2
Wonder woman
Gangster Squad
and Batman darkknight rises. All these yesterday
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

Watching Tropical thunder right now! And it's so much fun and is very hilarious
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

Gone Baby Gone - climatic ending that is very debatable
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

joe8d wrote:
FB01 wrote:Hi,

No sex scenes.
Saw it yesterday. Agreed, no sex scenes. I don't recall profanity, but wasn't listening for it.

IMO still might not be appropriate for a 7 year old. If your concern is whether the child might wander in while *you* are watching, that aspect should be harmless. On the other hand, the 5 year old who plays the young Lion in the first act is going to melt the hearts of anyone with a pulse. If your child has a highly developed sense of empathy, seeing what the boy had to endure could be upsetting.

The second act shifts to the Lion as an adult, with occasional flashbacks. At that point, just about every 7 year old will be bored and looking for something else to do.

BTW: terrific film. Fully deserved the Oscar attention.