100k Service - 2010 Camry & Corolla - All Maintenance Deferred

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FinanceDoctor

100k Service - 2010 Camry & Corolla - All Maintenance Deferred

Post by FinanceDoctor »

I own a 2010 Camry and a 2010 Corolla. In the past month, both have gone over 100,000 miles. I'd like to keep both going strong for at least another 50,000 miles.

Other than oil changes, all maintenance has been deferred on these two vehicles (air filters occasionally as well).

I've dug around and am really stumped as to what items I SHOULD have done on each of these.

Does this look right?

Both Vehicles
Inspect all hoses, brakes, rotors, exhaust, suspension, ball joint, etc...
Replace Air Filter
Replace Cabin Air Filter
Oil Change
Drain and Fill Coolant
Drain and Fill Transmission Fluid
Replace Spark Plugs

Is there anything else that I should be considering?
adamthesmythe

Re: 100k Service - 2010 Camry & Corolla - All Maintenance Deferred

Post by adamthesmythe »

Does either have a timing belt? Do the tires have any tread left?
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Aren't coolant, transmission fluid, and spark plugs 100K mile items on those cars anyhow? The Corolla (and I assume the Camry) have timing chains instead of a timing belt, so I think you are okay there. I'm not sure that you've really deferred as much as you think you have aside from air filters.
sport

Post by sport »

If the cars still have the original batteries, those should be replaced. That really should have been done earlier. If you wait until the battery dies, you may have the inconvenience of being stuck (perhaps in an unsafe spot) and the inconvenience of getting service. You probably would not have the ability to shop for the battery you would want to choose.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Any oil leaking from under the car?

If not, I would:

1) spark plugs
2) change oil with oil filter
3) top off fluids
3) battery (as above poster said, it will go soon anyway)
4) breaks
5) tires
6) air filter
7) cabin air filter
8) serpentine belt

If it's leaking oil on the floor, probably need to change the valve cover gasket which is like $200 or less on these cars.

Don't touch the suspension.

EDIT: see #8
Topic Author
FinanceDoctor

Post by FinanceDoctor »

Timing chain on both, I believe. So that should be fine.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

As others have said, I would do what you said, plus replace the serpentine belt, battery (amazing if still original), and tires (if original). Unless they are all highway miles, you will probably at least need new front brake pads.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I'd also consider a flush of the old brake fluid.
denovo

Post by denovo »

JerLon wrote:
I've dug around and am really stumped as to what items I SHOULD have done on each of these.

Figuring out what to do is pretty easy. Open up the owner's manual for both cars and read what the owner manual said you should do by 100k miles and do it all. It may hurt your wallet, but will hurt less if you find an indy mechanic.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Don't change transmission fluid
FCM

Post by FCM »

I own a 2003 Camry with the V6 engine, and it has a timing belt, which I had replaced at 95k miles. If your 2010 Camry has the V6 engine, it might have a timing belt as opposed to a chain, which is what the 4 cylinder has. Check your owner's manual.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

FCM wrote:I own a 2003 Camry with the V6 engine, and it has a timing belt, which I had replaced at 95k miles. If your 2010 Camry has the V6 engine, it might have a timing belt as opposed to a chain, which is what the 4 cylinder has. Check your owner's manual.
IIRC all 2010 Camry's have timing chains. The 2010 V6 is the 3.5L 2GR-FE.
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

You'll get much more than an additional 50K out of these cars if you want to save the $$ for something else. There's a Camry and a Corolla in my garage with combined mileage of 610,000 miles, and they are both running beautifully. I do these maintenance items myself. I stopped in my local tire store last month for a free re-balance and the guy there said my 356K Camry was the highest mileage car he'd seen. We'll buy replacements when the time comes, but for now we can find no good reason.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

forkhorn wrote:battery (amazing if still original)
This year we finally replaced the original battery on our 2006 Corolla.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Consider proactively replacing radiator and heater hoses. Very inconvenient to have one of these let go in the middle of the night in the winter.

Ralph
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

JerLon wrote:I own a 2010 Camry and a 2010 Corolla. In the past month, both have gone over 100,000 miles. I'd like to keep both going strong for at least another 50,000 miles.

Other than oil changes, all maintenance has been deferred on these two vehicles (air filters occasionally as well).
I don't understand, are you saying you yourself have deferred all maintenance on both vehicles, other than oil changes, the first 100k miles? Or did you get these cars from someone else and the maintenance had never been done? If you did it willingly, why? That doesn't make sense to me, not to following the owners manual for recommended services. You do want the cars to last don't you?

If you keep it maintained properly each car should go well past the 150k you are hoping to get out of them
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

JD2775 wrote:
JerLon wrote:I own a 2010 Camry and a 2010 Corolla. In the past month, both have gone over 100,000 miles. I'd like to keep both going strong for at least another 50,000 miles.

I don't understand, are you saying you yourself have deferred all maintenance on both vehicles, other than oil changes, the first 100k miles? Or did you get these cars from someone else and the maintenance had never been done? If you did it willingly, why? That doesn't make sense to me, not to following the owners manual for recommended services. You do want the cars to last don't you?

If you keep it maintained properly each car should go well past the 150k you are hoping to get out of them
I have a 2010 camry hybrid and OP has not deferred anything. According to the owner's manual (non-hybrid may be different) the only maintenance required up to 100k miles is an oil/filter change with some air filter changes thrown in. Everything else is "inspect". If the car is running properly, then you don't need to change anything below 100k. (of course things like tires and brakes are wear and tear and should be replaced as needed).

At 100k miles (or 10 years), the manual specifies changing the engine/inverter coolant as an additional item.

At 120k miles, the manual specifies changing spark plugs.

If OP means that maintenance was deferred based on DEALER recommendations, then OP can safely ignore that (dealer recommended maintenance items). Dealers recommend maintenance to line their pocket books. On the other hand, if dealer mentions something that is clearly going bad (belts fraying, hoses cracking, weird noises, etc.) ask them to show it to you and then make a determination.

All Toyota manuals are online at the toyota.com, please follow the manuals and save your money!

ETA:
For peace of mind, at 10 years (which for me will be < 100k miles), I will be changing most of the fluids in my car (if I still have it - the hybrid battery thing may worry me enough to get a "new" car). I figure it's better ,after a decade of driving the car, to replace everything at once rather than worry what else I need to change.
Last edited by new2bogle on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

My 1999 Camry has 325,000 miles on it and is still running strong.
I take it in to a local mechanic at the recommended intervals and have the routine maintenance done.
I change the oil every 3,000 miles, replace the tires and have the brakes done as needed.
Very little else has been done to it.
Maintaining it is cheap insurance to keep it running.