KF's Worst Case Retirement Plan [KlangFool's]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
new2bogle

Re: KF's Worst Case Retirement Plan

Post by new2bogle »

KlangFool wrote:
tc101 wrote:
Do you enjoy your work or hate it? I think that is a major consideration.
tc101,

I am not one of those that have the choice. Due to age discrimination, I may be permanently unemployed if I lose the current one. Many of my peers in the 40s and 50s are permanently under-employed and unemployed.

To answer your question, I worked from home and I like my job. I just do not know how long it will last.

KlangFool
KF,

1) May I ask the field/industry of your employment?

2) Also, is it age discrimination or racial/ethnic discrimination? I have seen both in my industry.

Thanks.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

new2bogle wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
tc101 wrote:
tc101,

I am not one of those that have the choice. Due to age discrimination, I may be permanently unemployed if I lose the current one. Many of my peers in the 40s and 50s are permanently under-employed and unemployed.

To answer your question, I worked from home and I like my job. I just do not know how long it will last.

KlangFool
KF,

2) Also, is it age discrimination or racial/ethnic discrimination? I have seen both in my industry.

Thanks.
new2bogle,

1) IT/networking

2) Age discrimination. I do not see a racial/ethnic pattern to this.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

KlangFool wrote:
new2bogle wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
tc101 wrote:
tc101,

KlangFool
KF,

Thanks.
new2bogle,

1) IT/networking

KlangFool
Thanks.

You mentioned living in your home country. Is that a choice you want or only a "last resort" choice? I have seen many of my colleagues go back to their native India after working in the U.S. for 10-15 years. Having family there helps.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

new2bogle wrote:
Thanks.

You mentioned living in your home country. Is that a choice you want or only a "last resort" choice? I have seen many of my colleagues go back to their native India after working in the U.S. for 10-15 years. Having family there helps.
new2bogle,

Half of our family is back there. It will be hard for our kids since they probably will be in the USA. As for us, not sure how we will feel about this.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: new2bogle,

1) IT/networking

KlangFool
When the time comes, if you're willing to consider a move to either Illinois or Florida, let me know. If your skills are a decent fit and I have an opening, I'd be more than happy to have you. Probably wouldn't be able to pay what you're making now, but COL is much lower and benefits are outstanding. Though my whole team is currently young to middle-aged, that's happenstance rather than prejudice. And we're certainly a diverse group. When I took over the department it was 100% white male, and I'm the only one left fitting that description, though I do have a late 40's white guy starting on Monday. :)
smitcat

Re: KF's Worst Case Retirement Plan [KlangFool's]

Post by smitcat »

"though I do have a late 40's white guy starting on Monday. :)"

Glad to see you are hiring minorities !!!!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

smitcat wrote:"though I do have a late 40's white guy starting on Monday. :)"

Glad to see you are hiring minorities !!!!
LOL. Like I said, he'll be the only one. And again it's happenstance. I pretty much only get qualified candidates by referral or by sourcing myself, and he used to work with our security engineer at another company. I have high standards (it's a small team with a LOT of responsibility), but don't care in the slightest what age or ethnicity a candidate is.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote:
KlangFool wrote: new2bogle,

1) IT/networking

KlangFool
When the time comes, if you're willing to consider a move to either Illinois or Florida, let me know.
lazydavid,

Thanks for the offer. But, financially, if I am moving away from this HCOL area, I can retire.

KlangFool
lgerla

Post by lgerla »

As per my understanding, if I move away from the state of Virginia, my kids would have to pay out-of-state tuition. That would double their tuition cost. That cost increase would be at least 30K per year.
KF,

I looked into this for my own situation in Virginia as I have the same concern. I believe it depends on the school, but it is possible that once residency is established at the start, they do not revoke it if the parents move.

See this for example: http://www.accounting.vcu.edu/tuition/
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lgerla wrote:
As per my understanding, if I move away from the state of Virginia, my kids would have to pay out-of-state tuition. That would double their tuition cost. That cost increase would be at least 30K per year.
KF,

I looked into this for my own situation in Virginia as I have the same concern. I believe it depends on the school, but it is possible that once residency is established at the start, they do not revoke it if the parents move.

See this for example: http://www.accounting.vcu.edu/tuition/
lgerla,

Thanks. In my case, with my son starting the third year and my daughter in the second year, I probably not going to move anywhere outside of Virginia over the next 3 years.

KlangFool
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

KlangFool wrote:Folks,

This is my worst-case retirement scenario. Please review and criticize.

1) Retire at 54 years old with a portfolio of 1 million and the AA of 60/40

2) 300K Mortgage. 6 years into 30 years 3.49% fixed rate mortgage.

3) Taxable/Roth/Tax-deferred 45/10/45

4) Annual expense = 60K with the mortgage, 40K without the mortgage. Out of that 40K/60K, 20K is budgeted for medical expense.

5) I had passed the second bend point with social security. Below is my estimated social security income.

20K at 62 years old
29K at 67 years old
36K at 70 years old

Stay-at-home spouse received 50% of my social security income.

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
FIRECalc says 100% chance of success assuming $20k for your and $10k for your spouse at 62 using $40k/year spending +$20k/year mortgage for the next 24 years.

Looks okay to me. Though $20k/year for all spending outside of health insurance and mortgage payments seems pretty darn low to me.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

jlcnuke wrote:
Looks okay to me. Though $20k/year for all spending outside of health insurance and mortgage payments seems pretty darn low to me.
jlcnuke,

1) This is how we lived over the past 10 to 20 years. Conversely, we do not know and understand why others need a lot more to live.

2) Coming from a culture where the average gross saving rate is at 30+% for the whole country. Plus, many folks save 50+% of their gross income. So, I guess it is built into our lifestyles.

3) No, it has nothing to do with income. We were in abject poverty through childhood but our parents still save.

KlangFool
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I suspect most of us are curious as to how you are able to keep the expenses so low. Do you pay for multiple cell phones and plans? Do you run the air conditioning in Northern Virginia summer? Do you pay for internet? Do you pay for water? Car insurance? Gasoline? Car repairs/maintenance? etc? Fairfax and surrounding counties are not exactly known for low cost of living.

I suspect your breakdown could help rest of us to understand where we could cut down without much affecting the overall quality of life.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

wrongfunds wrote:I suspect most of us are curious as to how you are able to keep the expenses so low. Do you pay for multiple cell phones and plans? Do you run the air conditioning in Northern Virginia summer? Do you pay for internet? Do you pay for water? Car insurance? Gasoline? Car repairs/maintenance? etc? Fairfax and surrounding counties are not exactly known for low cost of living.

I suspect your breakdown could help rest of us to understand where we could cut down without much affecting the overall quality of life.
wrongfunds,

You need to understand is in order to live at this cost level, your thought process cannot be like below:

<< I suspect most of us are curious as to how you are able to keep the expenses so low. Do you pay for multiple cell phones and plans? Do you run the air conditioning in Northern Virginia summer? Do you pay for internet? Do you pay for water? Car insurance? Gasoline? Car repairs/maintenance? etc? Fairfax and surrounding counties are not exactly known for low cost of living.>>

1) I do "Pay Yourself First". I save 30+% of my gross income. Then, I live on the rest (20K per year). Those spending money are debited straight to my checking account. I cannot spend the money that I do not have.

If you look carefully at your budget, basic food and utility do not cost more than 20K per year.

2) Do not live in a neighborhood with your peers. Live in a neighborhood with lower-income folks. My peers lived in the single-family home. I live in a townhouse.

KlangFool
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Just the internet and cellphone bill with couple of kids will eat sizeable chunk of that $20K budget. With kid drivers on the car insurance plan, there goes four digit outlay just for auto liability. I have not even yet added personal liability insurance to the mix. Talking about townhomes in Norther Virginia, they push towards half a million. I don't see decrepit cars up on the cement blocks in the townhomes neighborhood! I am talking about my own personal experience from Reston/Herndon area. I suspect adjoining counties are somewhat similar. I agree with you that food costs are trivial when one cooks at home but rest of the fixed costs that I am having trouble with $1500 per month budget.

Many have asked for clarification on how it is possible to survive with $20K budget with few kids in college age.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

wrongfunds wrote:Just the internet and cellphone bill with couple of kids will eat sizeable chunk of that $20K budget. With kid drivers on the car insurance plan, there goes four digit outlay just for auto liability. I have not even yet added personal liability insurance to the mix. Talking about townhomes in Norther Virginia, they push towards half a million. I don't see decrepit cars up on the cement blocks in the townhomes neighborhood! I am talking about my own personal experience from Reston/Herndon area. I suspect adjoining counties are somewhat similar. I agree with you that food costs are trivial when one cooks at home but rest of the fixed costs that I am having trouble with $1500 per month budget.

Many have asked for clarification on how it is possible to survive with $20K budget with few kids in college age.
wrongfunds,

1) It does not include my 2 kids' college education cost. It is about 50K to 60K per year.

<< Just the internet and cellphone bill with couple of kids will eat sizeable chunk of that $20K budget.>>

2) Cell phone for 4 -> $160 per month. Internet / Fios / Wired Phone/ Cable TV -> $120 per month.

<< With kid drivers on the car insurance plan, there goes four digit outlay just for auto liability.>>

3) Car insurance -> $1,710 with 2 teenage drivers. Umbrella insurance = $420.

<<Talking about townhomes in Norther Virginia, they push towards half a million. >>

4) 400K. I am further away from Reston/Herndon.

5)Utility -> Water/ Gas/Electric -> $200 per month.

It adds up to about $7,890. Let's say 8K. It leaves 1K per month to spend on food and gas.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

wrongfunds wrote:Just the internet and cellphone bill with couple of kids will eat sizeable chunk of that $20K budget. With kid drivers on the car insurance plan, there goes four digit outlay just for auto liability. I have not even yet added personal liability insurance to the mix. Talking about townhomes in Norther Virginia, they push towards half a million. I don't see decrepit cars up on the cement blocks in the townhomes neighborhood! I am talking about my own personal experience from Reston/Herndon area. I suspect adjoining counties are somewhat similar. I agree with you that food costs are trivial when one cooks at home but rest of the fixed costs that I am having trouble with $1500 per month budget.

It's very possible, many people around the country do it every day. The reality is many people who have the means wouldn't want to live that way. Staycations vs vacations. Basic phones vs. smartphones. Basic internet vs full triple play package. Fans vs running the AC 24/7 in the summer. No eating out. No weekend jaunts. Shopping at Kohls vs Bloomingdales.

Also, please note that lots of parent's don't pay for the children's cell phone. When I turned 18 and I was in college, even though my parents paid for my college, I had to pay for my own cell phone. And this was 13 years ago.

If that is how KF chooses to live that's great! It allows him the flexibility to be able to retire if he were to get canned this afternoon.
yellowgirl

Post by yellowgirl »

Our monthly bills are about $1,100 a month. This total includes property tax, homeowner insurance, electricity, water, trash, phones, internet, cars insurance, and gas. However, we live in Texas not Virginia.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

KlangFool wrote: 2) Cell phone for 4 -> $160 per month. Internet / Fios / Wired Phone/ Cable TV -> $120 per month.
I pay $40 per month for internet. Got rid of wired phone and cut the cord and watch TV on Netflix for $10 per month. That should get you down to $19K expenses!
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

KlangFool wrote:

wrongfunds,

1) It does not include my 2 kids' college education cost. It is about 50K to 60K per year.

<< Just the internet and cellphone bill with couple of kids will eat sizeable chunk of that $20K budget.>>

2) Cell phone for 4 -> $160 per month. Internet / Fios / Wired Phone/ Cable TV -> $120 per month.

<< With kid drivers on the car insurance plan, there goes four digit outlay just for auto liability.>>

3) Car insurance -> $1,710 with 2 teenage drivers. Umbrella insurance = $420.

<<Talking about townhomes in Norther Virginia, they push towards half a million. >>

4) 400K. I am further away from Reston/Herndon.

5)Utility -> Water/ Gas/Electric -> $200 per month.

It adds up to about $7,890. Let's say 8K. It leaves 1K per month to spend on food and gas.

KlangFool
Property tax? Auto registration charge? Periodic outlays for appliance repairs/ replacement?

Interesting discussion. Wishing you good luck, but I agree with some here that 20 k/ year sounds tight
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

yellowgirl wrote:

Our monthly bills are about $1,100 a month. This total includes property tax, homeowner insurance, electricity, water, trash, phones, internet, cars insurance, and gas. However, we live in Texas not Virginia.
yellowgirl,

My 20K per year exclude mortgage, homeowner insurance, property tax, and all medical expenses. Aka, no housing and medical expenses.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

aristotelian wrote:
KlangFool wrote: 2) Cell phone for 4 -> $160 per month. Internet / Fios / Wired Phone/ Cable TV -> $120 per month.
I pay $40 per month for internet. Got rid of wired phone and cut the cord and watch TV on Netflix for $10 per month. That should get you down to $19K expenses!
aristotelian,

LOL!! I do not budget. My whole goal of "Pay Yourself First" and save 30+%of my gross income is I do not need to worry about that small money.

KlangFool
yellowgirl

Post by yellowgirl »

KlangFool wrote:
yellowgirl wrote:

yellowgirl,

My 20K per year exclude mortgage, homeowner insurance, property tax, and all medical expenses. Aka, no housing and medical expenses.

KlangFool
If this is the case, you are living in luxury!
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ikowik wrote:
Property tax? Auto registration charge? Periodic outlays for appliance repairs/ replacement?

Interesting discussion. Wishing you good luck, but I agree with some here that 20 k/ year sounds tight
ikowik,

<<Property tax? >.

Not included. Part of 20K housing expense.

KlangFool
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Thanks KF! Our utility costs are much higher but rest of the other numbers should be within ballpark excluding the discretionary spending. I often wonder where are we spending our dollars if 3 cars in the household has 210K+ miles each and minimum age is 18 years!
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

yellowgirl wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
yellowgirl wrote:

yellowgirl,

KlangFool
If this is the case, you are living in luxury!
yellowgirl,

1) I know I am. I do not know why others think that I am spending very little money.

2) I used to spend a lot less when I was in Texas.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

wrongfunds wrote:Thanks KF! Our utility costs are much higher but rest of the other numbers should be within ballpark excluding the discretionary spending. I often wonder where are we spending our dollars if 3 cars in the household has 210K+ miles each and minimum age is 18 years!
wrongfunds,

I have 2 cars: 2006 Nissan Altima and 2014 Nissan Altima. I only buy the new car. That is the luxury I choose to have.

KlangFool
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

yellowgirl wrote:

I live in Texas and my monthly property bill is ~$1,000, prop tax is very high for a house "worth" $450k.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

KlangFool wrote: aristotelian,

LOL!! I do not budget. My whole goal of "Pay Yourself First" and save 30+%of my gross income is I do not need to worry about that small money.

KlangFool
I like your style KF, which is what I do too. I learned that from my father who is a prodigious saver.
yellowgirl

Post by yellowgirl »

new2bogle wrote:
yellowgirl wrote:

I live in Texas and my monthly property bill is ~$1,000, prop tax is very high for a house "worth" $450k.
Not every county tax at the same rate.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

new2bogle wrote: I live in Texas and my monthly property bill is ~$1,000, prop tax is very high for a house "worth" $450k.
new2bogle,

Yes, but you do not pay state income tax. My property tax plus state income tax is probably about the same as your property tax. And, I bought a cheaper house. Most of my peers lived in 500K to 600K houses.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

new2bogle wrote:
KlangFool wrote: aristotelian,

KlangFool
I like your style KF, which is what I do too. I learned that from my father who is a prodigious saver.
new2bogle,

This is what I observed. People that save a lot (30% to 50% gross income) tend not to budget. People that save less tend to budget.

KlangFool
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The discussion is straying from the OP's request. Please stay on-topic, which is:
KlangFool wrote:Folks,

4) Annual expense = 60K with the mortgage, 40K without the mortgage. Out of that 40K/60K, 20K is budgeted for medical expense.

5) I had passed the second bend point with social security. Below is my estimated social security income.

20K at 62 years old
29K at 67 years old
36K at 70 years old

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

livesoft wrote:OK, ...

You and your wife get sick at age 55. Medical expenses become $40,000 a year after insurance pays for everything else. And your property taxes go up to $20,000 a year. But, fortunately, your kids and other families members take care of you for the rest of your lives.
When did you turn into such an optimist? Go all out with medical expenses of 100k/yr (i.e one partner needs to be in a nursing home full time. Or to be really grim what if one of your kids needs 50k/year of medical care for the rest of their life), 10% inflation ravaging bond values, japanese stock market 33% SS cuts, housing market crash from mortgage rates going 20%, and we haven't even talked about really bad events yet like Wiemar germany inflation, Russia/china/Cuba revolutions.

At a high level 1 million bucks to fund a 15 year retirement is pretty darn safe. You are going to need something to go really wrong where either the money goes away (hyper inflation, markets ceasing to exist, large cuts to SS/Medicare) or you expense go way up (health care is the likely one. Taxes could be but are pretty unlikely)
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

This OP is extremely knowledgeable & perhaps has taken all of these into account. As a reference for the rest of us, I note three areas where retirees (whom I've met through volunteer work) encounter retirement "surprises":

1. If part of the savings is in other than taxable accounts, be sure to calculate taxes on voluntary withdrawals and forced RMDs (& impacts on Obamacare premiums pre-Medicare, and Social Security taxes and Medicare costs post age-65). Income taxes get included with property and local income taxes as expenses, or only include net income in your estimates.

2. Especially with health care legislation in flux, retirees aren't able to project health care spending (even assuming no surprises in health condition--which unfortunately do occur more frequently as one ages). Mistakes I've seen most often are (a) failure to assess whether the ACA networks will meet their needs; and (b) failure to budget for non-covered expenses like dental work.

If Trumpcare provides for more people to be placed in high risk pools, & medical expenses were to cease to be tax-deductible, one's expense estimates may be too low. In the old days my state's high risk pool charged approximately $2K per person per month for limited coverage. None of us has any idea what will occur in the future--obviously--and speculation about tax & health care legislation is against Forum rules, so having a large contingency seems the only way to address this. I will say, however, that a $10/hour job with decent medical coverage MIGHT be worthwhile if your state adopts a health care system which has a strict definition of pre-existing conditions.

3. If a retiree wants to retain his current house, I'd suggest having a home inspection (or preparing one himself). Develop a maintenance/replacement schedule for big ticket (roof, HVAC, septic/plumbing, etc) and make sure your yearly expenses include an amortized amount for those as well as the cost estimates for routine maintenance. If you're lucky, you'll sell before needing to replace items & you can add your "replace/repair" savings to your equity and buy a smaller place for cash.

Good Luck to all early retirees.
Last edited by patriciamgr2 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

KlangFool wrote:... I know I am. I do not know why others think that I am spending very little money.
I suspect many are not recognizing that you're not including housing in your expenses.
bayview

Post by bayview »

patriciamgr2 wrote:This OP is extremely knowledgeable & has perhaps taken all of these into account. As a reference for the rest of us, I note three areas where retirees (whom I've met through volunteer work) encounter retirement "surprises"...
Excellent summary. These are the three areas (fluid, shifting taxes, healthcare, and "lumpies") that have the most asterisks in our projected retirement plans.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

spammagnet wrote:
KlangFool wrote:... I know I am. I do not know why others think that I am spending very little money.
I suspect many are not recognizing that you're not including housing in your expenses.

This is correct for me, I did not realize property taxes were included in housing expenses. Hasty reading of the thread on my part
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ikowik wrote:
spammagnet wrote:

This is correct for me, I did not realize property taxes were included in housing expenses. Hasty reading of the thread on my part
ikowik,

My property tax is around $4,500 per year if it makes any difference.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

<< Folks,

4) Annual expense = 60K with the mortgage, 45K without the mortgage. Out of that 40K/60K, 20K is budgeted for medical expense.

20K at 62 years old
29K at 67 years old
36K at 70 years old

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool>>

I need to make a correction. I still need to pay property tax and homeowner insurance even if I pay off the mortgage. So, my annual expense is 45K without the mortgage.

KlangFool
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

KlangFool wrote:<< Folks,

4) Annual expense = 60K with the mortgage, 45K without the mortgage. Out of that 40K/60K, 20K is budgeted for medical expense.

20K at 62 years old
29K at 67 years old
36K at 70 years old

Thanks in advance.

IMHO - my view of early retirement when the math is this close would be to get real conservative on the funds that are available to spend.
As such the 1.0 million would need to be in a very safe portfolio mix which would not allow for much marginal growth over inflation.
My view with these parameters would be like this;

$780K = Need $60K for 13 years - age 54 to 67
$286K = Need $26K for 11 more years to pay off mortgage ($60K total less $44K SS)
$XXX = Need $1K more each year past mortgage payoff at age 78, $45K need less $44K SS

Totals run over 1.0 million so it is too tight for my thoughts.

KlangFool>>

I need to make a correction. I still need to pay property tax and homeowner insurance even if I pay off the mortgage. So, my annual expense is 45K without the mortgage.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

smitcat wrote:
IMHO - my view of early retirement when the math is this close would be to get real conservative on the funds that are available to spend.
As such the 1.0 million would need to be in a very safe portfolio mix which would not allow for much marginal growth over inflation.

$286K = Need $26K for 11 more years to pay off mortgage ($60K total less $44K SS)
$XXX = Need $1K more each year past mortgage payoff at age 78, $45K need less $44K SS

smitcat,

Thanks. So, it looks like I need something more to make this work. For example, my wife needs to keep her 15K to 20K per year job.

KlangFool
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Well - that is what I would do but I visualize early retirement costs conservatively.
In my case I would not want to retire and be 'worried' about the funds lasting so it would be better for me to make that bridge fairly certain one way or another.
That is my case anyway - YMMV as others feel differently as they should.
delamer

Post by delamer »

KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:

smitcat,

Thanks. So, it looks like I need something more to make this work. For example, my wife needs to keep her 15K to 20K per year job.

KlangFool
I agree. With a budget as tight as yours, the $5,000 makes a significant difference. You would need an extra $125,000 in your portfolio to fund that $5,000 at a 4% withdrawal rate, for example.

FYI, we could live a comfortable life on about $35,000 a year, so your $25,000 doesn't seem out of line. The major concession we'd have to make is to cut out traveling. But the rest of our life would continue as is, and we are in a HCOL. Like you, this budget supposes a paid-off house and excludes healthcare.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

$1+ million makes you rich!
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

delamer wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:

smitcat,

KlangFool
I agree. With a budget as tight as yours, the $5,000 makes a significant difference. You would need an extra $125,000 in your portfolio to fund that $5,000 at a 4% withdrawal rate, for example.

FYI, we could live a comfortable life on about $35,000 a year, so your $25,000 doesn't seem out of line. The major concession we'd have to make is to cut out traveling. But the rest of our life would continue as is, and we are in a HCOL. Like you, this budget supposes a paid-off house and excludes healthcare.
delamer,

Thanks. That number = one more year for me. Or, if I am lucky, I may hit that number by the end of the yer.

KlangFool
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote:new2bogle,

This is what I observed. People that save a lot (30% to 50% gross income) tend not to budget. People that save less tend to budget.

KlangFool
This is a good way of looking at it. Our take home pay is right around 40% of our gross, primarily due to a high savings rate (taxes and benefits are factors as well, of course). The only time we look closely at what we spend is when our primary checking account balance gets a little low for comfort. But as you point out, we don't budget because we don't feel the need. What we have is what we can spend. That amount stays the same every year, while the amount saved goes up every year because we "back out" our annual raises, and have always invested 100% of our equity compensation.
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

KlangFool wrote:
ikowik wrote:
spammagnet wrote:

ikowik,

My property tax is around $4,500 per year if it makes any difference.

KlangFool
Klangfool
This thread made me go back and check my expenses. I do track quarterly and average out over the year to get some idea what I can expect in retirement, and what expenses will go away.
Excluding all housing and medical expenses, our monthly spending for a family of three (young adult daughter, moving out and financially able to spend her own money this year :happy ) has been, on average, $1997/ month over the last 3 years. So that is just about same as yours!
BUT my housing expenses block includes property taxes, homeowner's insurance, yard and home maintenance and occasional lump-sums for appliance repairs and replacement. That has come to $1700/ month on average, but I have no mortgage. My property/ school taxes are high, around $12000/ year
Not to belabor the point, but have you accounted for all these, especially the unexpected appliance/ car replacement costs, in your budget? And I don't even want to talk about putting away money for long-term care or paying for insurance.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ikowik wrote:
Klangfool
This thread made me go back and check my expenses. I do track quarterly and average out over the year to get some idea what I can expect in retirement, and what expenses will go away.
Excluding all housing and medical expenses, our monthly spending for a family of three (young adult daughter, moving out and financially able to spend her own money this year :happy ) has been, on average, $1997/ month over the last 3 years. So that is just about same as yours!
BUT my housing expenses block includes property taxes, homeowner's insurance, yard and home maintenance and occasional lump-sums for appliance repairs and replacement. That has come to $1700/ month on average, but I have no mortgage. My property/ school taxes are high, around $12000/ year
Not to belabor the point, but have you accounted for all these, especially the unexpected appliance/ car replacement costs, in your budget? And I don't even want to talk about putting away money for long-term care or paying for insurance.
ikowik,

<< That has come to $1700/ month on average,>>

This is about the same as my PITI: mortgage + homeowner insurance + property tax is around $1,700 to $1,800.

<< but have you accounted for all these, especially the unexpected appliance/ car replacement costs, in your budget?>>

I do not budget. I only have about 60K to spend per year after all the "Pay Yourself First" automated savings. So, we get it done within that amount of money. We cannot spend the money that we do not have.

KlangFool
bayview

Post by bayview »

KlangFool wrote: delamer,

Thanks. That number = one more year for me. Or, if I am lucky, I may hit that number by the end of the yer.

KlangFool
KlangFool, I hope you get that year, or the market returns to make it happen sooner. It's an interesting world out there these days.

Best wishes to you and to your family. :beer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri