Summer outdoor parties - party food ideas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Summer outdoor parties - party food ideas

Post by Barefootgirl »

Looking for party food ideas in hot weather...don't generally serve anything with eggs or mayo or dairy when temps are hot due to spoilage ...grad parties, etc.

Discussing with Mom that we'll serve salsa and hummus, with dipping pita wedges, veggies, etc.

Then she asked me about eggplant dip - I have never heard of it, but will check it out.

What kinds of party foods do you serve for outdoor entertaining when the weather is hot? (not including grilled foods).

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Luke Duke

Re: Summer outdoor parties - party food ideas

Post by Luke Duke »

Barefootgirl wrote:(not including grilled foods)
Well, that excludes just about everything that I serve.
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

She might be talking about baba ganoush for the egg plant dip.

I'm not sure why spoilage is an issue unless you plan on leaving this stuff in the sun for hours. If there is a time dinner/food is served, put it out just before then. How long does it take for people to get food?

Potato salad is a staple of outdoor, summer parties in my opinion. It has both eggs and mayo. If you're putting food outside, you might also put it in a shaded area. Watermelon is a great food for hot days. Chill it ahead of time.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Is this at home or a picnic away from home? We find that taco and sandwich bars are popular year round. For sandwiches we buy a variety of rolls and pre-slice them about 3/4 of the way through. We get deli sliced meats and add in some fun extras like sliced persian cucumbers or several gourmet mustards. Prep can be done in advance and serving is easy. Serving dishes can be easily covered when the line slows down.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

DIY salad bowls are always easy, assuming you can keep stuff on the cooler side prior to serving. Think Chipotle fast-casual DIY bowls.
Protein: Pre baked/grilled/roasted steak/chicken/tofu/beans/cold cuts/eggs. Seasoning options galore
Salad: Greens, tomatoes, avacado, broccoli, corn
Dressing: If you can make a couple fresh dressings, you're set - nothing beats a fresh dressing.

Great for hot weather, don't feel all bloated.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Guessing you'll be out in a public space or somewhere without access to a refrigerator...could you bring a big cooler or two to keep things in before serving? Second the suggestion for watermelon. I prefer cubed vs wedges if you can prep beforehand.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Watermelon.

Nothing like a cold chunk of watermelon on a hot day.

I through a big party every summer, and it is centered around me smoking lots of meat. It is always a big hit.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

The federal food safety website has a page full of summer food safety tips, with links to other food safety pages at other federal agencies: https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/perfectfood.html

And I'd second the watermelon suggestion. That's a summer staple around here too.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Homemade fruit salad

Homemade ice cream, but it is a lot of work. Put it next to the beer cooler and the guys will crank it while hanging out around the beer.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Any vinaigrette-based salad would work and this gives you tons of options...can have a purely vegetable based salad, or one with a grain base. Plethora of recipes online if you Google. Some favorite combinations of mine:

Quinoa, farro or similar grain with avocados, black beans, tomatoes, corn, feta cheese, in a cumin spiced dressing
Wild rice and pecan salad in an orange vinaigrette (from Silver Palate cookbook I believe)
French green bean and potato salad in a mustard vinaigrette (NYT)
Classic Nicoise salad with tuna, new potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, olives
Asian type slaw with cabbage, shredded carrots, red peppers, with a spicy peanut-ginger dressing
Classic Caprese salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil

I've just made myself hungry! I personally am fine with mayo-based salads too; if kept chilled in a cooler on ice, should not be a problem.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Cut chicken breasts into biggish chunks...marinate in fridge in lemon juice, olive oil and onions for 12-48 hours...remove from marinade and grill with the onions.

Serve with half Pitas and your hummus. Also provide lettuce, tomatoes, tahini and tzadziki.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

We just did our usual summer family and friends thing at a local park. Pretty traditional. Grilled burgers, hotdogs and smoked sausage for about 100 people. Soft drinks, chips, fresh fruit, veggies and desserts plus whatever random stuff people bring and BYOB for any other drinks. A pile of toys (bubbles, frisbees. pinwheels, soccer balls etc) for the kids along with the play set already in the park. DJ mix that the kids put together for music. We sat around for a few hours, talked and ate too much. There was a new wrinkle for me this year; a new friend and family with dietary restrictions that I did not know so they ate a lot of fruit and veggies. I need to remember that for next time.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Chick-fil-A is always a big hit
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

It's a bit of a myth that mayonnaise-based salads are dangerous. Commercial mayo is initially pasteurized and acidic, so not a good growth medium for bacteria.
vveat

Post by vveat »

You didn't say whether you'll be serving kids/teens or grown ups, for us that would be a leading factor.

A few favorites:
- tomato/mozzarella or fruit "kebabs" (i.e. on a stick)
- gazpacho in plastic cups (if you have good ripe tomatoes, blend them with some cucumber, onions, red pepper, garlic, cilantro, a bit of crusty bread). No spoons required, put it in a thermos and pour in the cups later.
- coleslaw (cabbage, carrots, could add finely cut cucumbers, or kohlrabi) with just a vinaigrette, no mayo needed
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Barefootgirl wrote:Looking for party food ideas in hot weather...
Beer :sharebeer

Seriously, if temperature is an issue, just get large pans and fill them with ice and then set whatever you make that you want cold in a bowl on top of that. Will keep for hours that way.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Low country boil
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:It's a bit of a myth that mayonnaise-based salads are dangerous. Commercial mayo is initially pasteurized and acidic, so not a good growth medium for bacteria.
Thank you for pointing this out. People always blame the mayo when it's usually the meat that has spoiled.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Barefootgirl wrote: Then she asked me about eggplant dip - I have never heard of it, but will check it out.
If you live near a Trader Joe's, they make a great eggplant spread, or dip, or whatever you want to call it. It's delicious as well in sandwiches, on pasta, and has many other uses. Healthy ingredients as well. I have seen it both in a can and in a jar.

Their "Wine Country Chicken Salad" is also delicious. It probably contains mayo however. And their frozen cooked shrimp are great for outdoor parties....run cold water over them for a couple of minutes and you are good to go.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Luke Duke wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:(not including grilled foods)
Well, that excludes just about everything that I serve.
+1. Costco grilled hamburgers topped with cheddar slices with sliced tomatoes, onions, condiments, baked beans, watermelon, potato salad and cold beer. That defines a summer food event.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Get a nice, big, lean pork tenderloin.

Charcoal grill it on low/indirect heat for 1:45 with your favorite charcoal.

Slice it thin and make sandwiches with Gorgonzola cheese (or put it on crackers with the same cheese).

:beer