Kamado grill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
keith6014

Kamado grill

Post by keith6014 »

Was browsing thru the forums and came across this topic. I enjoy grilling on my Weber Charcoal grill. Was thinking if this sort of grill is worth it?

Any good recommendations for a portable Kamado grill? Portable meaning I would like to move it around in my backyard.

I see Lowes has a chargriller for $300, anyone have experience with the lower end Kamado grill?

Don't mind spending the money if it will last a long time and low maintenance and especially if I enjoy using it.

Any opinions?
sfwood

Re: Kamado grill

Post by sfwood »

The Akorn by CharGriller that I think you are referring to is an inexpensive way to try out Kamado grilling, and will be much more portable than genuine ceramic kamados (VERY heavy). There is also a mini Akorn if you can find one. We have a regular size Akorn and it has proven to be pretty well constructed and has held up well over a couple of seasons. Kamado grilling is a different beast than other types of grilling.

A fire hose of additional info at:
https://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/18-cha ... g-griller/
Coato

Post by Coato »

We have the Lowe's version and like it a lot. I am not much of a griller so I appreciate that I can basically manipulate the air holes and dictate the exact temperature. Our biggest plus is we ended up smoking way more than I thought we would. Nothing easier than smoking a salmon and checking in every few hours to add a coal or soaked wood chip.
jarhead_jr

Post by jarhead_jr »

I own a Kamado Joe Classic. It is easily one of my top 5 things I've ever owned. I like to cook and grill. If you are looking to get a Kamado style cooker, get a ceramic one, otherwise you will not get to enjoy the benefits as much. If you don't grill much or are not excited about grilling then the acorn grill at Lowe's will be ok.

Ceramic style Kamado grills are extremely efficient. I've done a 22hr smoke on a brisket and never had to add charcoal or wood. They are the ultimate grill in my opinion because you can smoke at low temp or open the vents wide open and seat a steak at 700 def F.

They do take a little getting used to, but once you've done a few cooks on it you won't want to use anything else. Everything cooked on it is very most and delicious.

If you are interested I can write up some more on them when I'm at a computer. Sorry if any spelling errors as I'm on my phone.
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

Thanks for the replies.

I am interested in a ceramic grill. Can you recommend any good brands and if they ever go on sale? They seem quite expensive but if they are durable and I use it often I won't care too much of the price.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

keith6014 wrote:Was browsing thru the forums and came across this topic. I enjoy grilling on my Weber Charcoal grill. Was thinking if this sort of grill is worth it?

Any good recommendations for a portable Kamado grill? Portable meaning I would like to move it around in my backyard.

I see Lowes has a chargriller for $300, anyone have experience with the lower end Kamado grill?

Don't mind spending the money if it will last a long time and low maintenance and especially if I enjoy using it.

Any opinions?
I don't see the point of buying a small one. If you want something small and portable, stick with Weber. But, if you want to smoke a full packer-cut brisket like the pros and don't want to have to cut it in half to make it fit, then spend the money on a Kamado. Get the big one at the next Costco roadshow. Google it for the next one in your area. Love mine.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I have the Costco 'Pit Boss' version, it was $399 on sale last summer (goes on sale annually)
https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic ... 95951.html

Pros:
- When on sale, it's a very good deal for a large Kamado. (Even the regular in-store price of $650 is decent, but I'd wait for the sale)
- Hardware is high quality, the grill is very rugged
- Comes with side tables and cover
- The top air vent is excellent and easy to adjust
- The thermometer is some standard size, easy to upgrade/swap

Cons:
- I think it's somewhat non-standard in size compared to some of the other Kamados, so accessories are harder to find. I made my own lower grate out of a Weber charcoal grill grate, this allowed me to place an extra pizza stone to block direct heat. The included grate can then be used for another pizza stone or for large meats.
- If I don't clean it after use, it develops mold. I know this is partly a function of where I live, everything gets moldy if I'm not careful.
- The lower air vent is not air tight, you must add some fireproof sealant tape around the edges to make a good seal. After the mod is works well.

I don't cook on it as often as I'd imagined. I tried to make pizza a few times, it's a major PITA. Now I use it for ribs (4hr recipe), for that it's ideal.

I think I'd opt for a Traeger over a Kamado if I had to pick just one :? But I'll likely add a Traeger instead at some point :wink: (already have a weber charcoal grill and a weber Genesis gas grill)
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

sunny_socal wrote:I have the Costco 'Pit Boss' version, it was $399 on sale last summer (goes on sale annually)

Pros:
- When on sale, it's a very good deal for a large Kamado. (Even the regular in-store price of $650 is decent, but I'd wait for the sale)

Cons:
- I think it's somewhat non-standard in size compared to some of the other Kamados, so accessories are harder to find. I made my own lower grate out of a Weber charcoal grill grate, this allowed me to place an extra pizza stone to block direct heat. The included grate can then be used for another pizza stone or for large meats.
- If I don't clean it after use, it develops mold. I know this is partly a function of where I live, everything gets moldy if I'm not careful.
- The lower air vent is not air tight, you must add some fireproof sealant tape around the edges to make a good seal. After the mod is works well.

I don't cook on it as often as I'd imagined. I tried to make pizza a few times, it's a major PITA. Now I use it for ribs (4hr recipe), for that it's ideal.

I think I'd opt for a Traeger over a Kamado if I had to pick just one :? But I'll likely add a Traeger instead at some point :wink: (already have a weber charcoal grill and a weber Genesis gas grill)
Great run-down of pros/cons. I'm in norcal and don't have issues with mold, nor worries about making pizza. I haven't tried to make pizza yet! But its on my list. I have 3 chickens on mine now.

I will mention some additional pros. It is airtight when smoking and allows for full-size logs, so the temperature is ridiculously stable once set. Once done, I tamp down the airflow and it suffocates the fire leaving a lot of fuel for next time. A quick jostle with the poker drops the ash into the tray and the tray cleans out insanely easily. I like to wash my grills with a plastic scrubber so as not to scrape them, then season with canola oil. They are great.

Last, buy in-store and get the larger version. Go big or go home!!! :-)
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

FoolStreet wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:I have the Costco 'Pit Boss' version, it was $399 on sale last summer (goes on sale annually)

Pros:

Cons:

Great run-down of pros/cons. I'm in norcal and don't have issues with mold, nor worries about making pizza. I haven't tried to make pizza yet! But its on my list. I have 3 chickens on mine now.

I will mention some additional pros. It is airtight when smoking and allows for full-size logs, so the temperature is ridiculously stable once set. Once done, I tamp down the airflow and it suffocates the fire leaving a lot of fuel for next time. A quick jostle with the poker drops the ash into the tray and the tray cleans out insanely easily. I like to wash my grills with a plastic scrubber so as not to scrape them, then season with canola oil. They are great.

Last, buy in-store and get the larger version. Go big or go home!!! :-)
Definitely check this link:

https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

FoolStreet wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:

Yes but that one is different from the "Pit Boss" also sold by Costco. The Kamado Joe is probably 3x as much, it's one of the 'name' brands (like Big Green Egg.)

For my use the Pit Boss is perfect, I got 90% of the BGE experience (only 'big brand kamado' badge is missing) at a fraction of the cost. To anyone shopping for a Kamado, read the web review of the Costco Pit Boss, it's a lot of grill for the $$.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

sunny_socal wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:

Yes but that one is different from the "Pit Boss" also sold by Costco. The Kamado Joe is probably 3x as much, it's one of the 'name' brands (like Big Green Egg.)

For my use the Pit Boss is perfect, I got 90% of the BGE experience (only 'big brand kamado' badge is missing) at a fraction of the cost. To anyone shopping for a Kamado, read the web review of the Costco Pit Boss, it's a lot of grill for the $$.
You make a fair point. I would definitely have to compare this Pit Boss to Kamado. I still dont think either of them are portable though. They both seem very heavy. (i.e., you are not taking one to tailgate).
jarhead_jr

Post by jarhead_jr »

I think the Kamado Joe is a much better value I've the Big Green Egg. Don't know about the Costco one. I know KJ has great customer service and the owner is active on many BBQ forums. They are incredibly durable. Mine sits on the deck all year, rain,snow, or shine. I cook in any weather with confidence. I have a friend that has a ceramic Kamado grill that is more than 25 years old.

I've heard some of the cheaper brands use a weaker and thinner ceramic more prone to cracking in the fire ring...not a huge issue as this is the inner ring not the outer ring.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

jarhead_jr wrote:I think the Kamado Joe is a much better value I've the Big Green Egg. Don't know about the Costco one. I know KJ has great customer service and the owner is active on many BBQ forums. They are incredibly durable. Mine sits on the deck all year, rain,snow, or shine. I cook in any weather with confidence. I have a friend that has a ceramic Kamado grill that is more than 25 years old.

I've heard some of the cheaper brands use a weaker and thinner ceramic more prone to cracking in the fire ring...not a huge issue as this is the inner ring not the outer ring.
The Big Green Egg is expensive!!! We own the XL size and use it a lot (bought it in 2009 and it is fired up all year round, several times per month minimum). Although you can get the stand with wheels, or one of the tables with wheels - they are not as portable as the OP seems to desire simply based on weight. Even the small Eggs or KJoes require some nice squatting strength and backbone to lift, carry, and move around. It's hard to beat the versatility, excellent cooking - both grilling and smoking - of the ceramic eggs thanks to the moisture lock in that keeps the goods from drying out while cooking.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Impromptu

Post by Impromptu »

You will not recoup your expenses from this. It will either sit around gathering dust and wasting your money, or be used often, costing your charcoal and meat costs, as well as time costs. You will come out ahead financially by buying from your local BBQ place.

Buy it if you want this for a hobby and you have a time slot that needs to be filled, then buy it. If your days and weekends are full of things that cannot be shuffled around to allow you to smoke your meats, then do not do it. It is cheaper than golf and some other hobbies you could engage in.

I purchased a Vision Kamado grill a few years ago. I then had to purchase the round disc lava rock to divert the heat, the electric loop to get the charcoal going, tongs, charcoal, hardwoods, meats, rubs (Aldi's steak seasoning mixed with brown sugar has been the best and easiest to use). Pork butt has been the easiest to do to make pulled pork. Ribs require more work. Other meats are quite expensive. We smoke at home about once a month.

I brought it to a church 4th of July picnic once. I got it up to 700+ degrees and grilled 100+ hamburgers in 20 minutes, which were some of the tastiest I had ever eaten. It then took many hours to cool back down so that I could bring it home. I was the first to arrive and last to leave.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

Impromptu wrote:You will not recoup your expenses from this. It will either sit around gathering dust and wasting your money, or be used often, costing your charcoal and meat costs, as well as time costs. You will come out ahead financially by buying from your local BBQ place.

Buy it if you want this for a hobby and you have a time slot that needs to be filled, then buy it. If your days and weekends are full of things that cannot be shuffled around to allow you to smoke your meats, then do not do it. It is cheaper than golf and some other hobbies you could engage in.

I purchased a Vision Kamado grill a few years ago. I then had to purchase the round disc lava rock to divert the heat, the electric loop to get the charcoal going, tongs, charcoal, hardwoods, meats, rubs (Aldi's steak seasoning mixed with brown sugar has been the best and easiest to use). Pork butt has been the easiest to do to make pulled pork. Ribs require more work. Other meats are quite expensive. We smoke at home about once a month.

I brought it to a church 4th of July picnic once. I got it up to 700+ degrees and grilled 100+ hamburgers in 20 minutes, which were some of the tastiest I had ever eaten. It then took many hours to cool back down so that I could bring it home. I was the first to arrive and last to leave.
I am fearing this. i suspect it will sit and collect dust. i enjoy grilling (only on weekends). weekdays I am away from home (6a to 7p) and i doubt i will have time.

I only like grilling chicken, fish (salmon) and some cuts of lamb.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've had the Kamado Joe "Big Joe" for a little over a year now, and it most definitely does not collect dust. But my Weber Genesis now does. Everything just tastes better on the Kamado, so the gas grill is relegated to things like hot dogs.

In terms of being able to do other things while smoking, that hasn't been a problem for me. The temperature is remarkably stable once you've got it set, so it doesn't require much minding. I smoked a brisket while doing the pre-assembly for a gazebo in my garage, and just brought a remote temperature probe with me. Every two hours or so I'd go out and tweak the vents, but it pretty much held its own.

Then my wife got me a temperature controller for Christmas. :mrgreen: With that, I've done several smokes while at my son's Lacrosse games 45 minutes away from the house, monitoring from my phone. The pit stayed between 223 and 227 for 24 straight hours while doing a shoulder, without me doing anything at all, before finally running out of fuel.

Definitely recommend the Costco roadshow. One of my coworkers went a couple of months ago, and came home with the Classic Joe. After his very first cook, his wife told him it was the best steak she'd ever had. I've definitely had a few at restaurants that are better than what I can make at home. But that comes down to the quality of the meat. 55-day dry-aged Prime ribeyes are hard to come by at my local grocery store. But I don't think I've had a steak that was cooked better than what I've done in the past year on my KJ.

I also have several friends and coworkers with Big Green Eggs, and they're just as happy as I am. But they paid a lot more. :P
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

I am fearing this. i suspect it will sit and collect dust. i enjoy grilling (only on weekends). weekdays I am away from home (6a to 7p) and i doubt i will have time.

100% agree, I have one that I enjoy owning, but it just doesn't get all that much use. I have a medium BGE that is to small for entertaining, but it's to much work for 1-4 people. The overnight smokes can be fun and 12lbs of pork but can feed a party, but it's a lot or work and requires checking on the temp a few times through the night. If I'm hosting I want a good nights sleep the night before, it's not fun to entertain when you had to be up at 12-2-4-6 to adjust the venting on the egg to keep the temperature at target.

They are also very fragile, I've owned my three years, and have already gone thorough two warranty issues, a cracked firebox, and the dome enamel failing. BGE replaced the parts, but it's an hour round trip drive to the local dealer to get the parts, also the gaskets tend to go.

Cleaning them is a hassle at as well, in order to get good airflow they need to be cleaned every few uses, this requires removing all the grates, fire ring, firebox, and then cleaning the ash. It only takes a few min, but it's so messy you will need to change your clothes afterwards. In addition mold is a significant issue if you don't use the egg for a few weeks, they somehow trap moisture and grow a nasty looking mold all over the grates.

In a nutshell, nothing really replicates how good they cook, but you need to want a BGE as a hobby, not as an appliance.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

PowDay wrote:

100% agree, I have one that I enjoy owning, but it just doesn't get all that much use. I have a medium BGE that is to small for entertaining, but it's to much work for 1-4 people. The overnight smokes can be fun and 12lbs of pork but can feed a party, but it's a lot or work and requires checking on the temp a few times through the night. If I'm hosting I want a good nights sleep the night before, it's not fun to entertain when you had to be up at 12-2-4-6 to adjust the venting on the egg to keep the temperature at target.

They are also very fragile, I've owned my three years, and have already gone thorough two warranty issues, a cracked firebox, and the dome enamel failing. BGE replaced the parts, but it's an hour round trip drive to the local dealer to get the parts, also the gaskets tend to go.

Cleaning them is a hassle at as well, in order to get good airflow they need to be cleaned every few uses, this requires removing all the grates, fire ring, firebox, and then cleaning the ash. It only takes a few min, but it's so messy you will need to change your clothes afterwards. In addition mold is a significant issue if you don't use the egg for a few weeks, they somehow trap moisture and grow a nasty looking mold all over the grates.

In a nutshell, nothing really replicates how good they cook, but you need to want a BGE as a hobby, not as an appliance.
Agree fully. Interesting to see that someone else has the mold problem as well, I'm afraid to go look at mine since it's been ~1month since I used it! :shock:
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

sunny_socal wrote:
PowDay wrote:

Agree fully. Interesting to see that someone else has the mold problem as well, I'm afraid to go look at mine since it's been ~1month since I used it! :shock:
Does yours have the sliding removable ash tray? Makes cleaning my Kamado a breeze. Single best feature.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I own a Big Green Egg and have recently used a Weber kettle grill, as well as a Weber Spirit gas grill.

IMO, grilling is like most other pursuits ie the key is the indian, not the arrow. The Weber is much more cost effective than the BGE. I have not tried a long, slow pork butt cook on the Weber and I suspect that this is where the BGE will have an edge but for me, that is a small edge.

The Weber kettle was 1/2 price year end at Walmart, and so were the Weber gas grills. $275 total for Weber kettle + gas provides a more versatile system than mult-hundreds for a komodo style.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

FoolStreet wrote:Does yours have the sliding removable ash tray? Makes cleaning my Kamado a breeze. Single best feature.
Agree with you on this one. Between the removable ash tray and my Kick Ash Basket, it takes me ~30 seconds to fully clean out all of the ash before each cook. Twice a year I take the firebowl out and clean the whole enclosure thoroughly, which takes 5-7 minutes.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

the solution to the mold problem is easy. Just prop the lid slightly open between cooks. I use a piece of slate stone about 1" thick to crack the lid open. This allows airflow and prevents mold. Cover the exhaust port with the cap that came with it.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Anyone willing to share some of their favorite recipes?

:beer
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

lazydavid wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:Does yours have the sliding removable ash tray? Makes cleaning my Kamado a breeze. Single best feature.
Agree with you on this one. Between the removable ash tray and my Kick Ash Basket, it takes me ~30 seconds to fully clean out all of the ash before each cook. Twice a year I take the firebowl out and clean the whole enclosure thoroughly, which takes 5-7 minutes.
Mine doesn't the only option other than taking it apart is to use this thing,

monty

Post by monty »

Smash burgers are fantastic on my "Big Joe" along with chicken, pulled pork , brisket and baby backs are a breeze to cook up. You can do pulled pork in 6-10 hours, I never have a need to get up at night, I just get it started early in the a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mftTVitQOE
auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies »

Pros:

Cons:

Any idea when this thing goes on sale?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

auggiedoggies wrote: Any idea when this thing goes on sale?
I got mine July 6 of last year.

BTW, it weighs 280 lbs - I had the guys at Costco load it into my truck and I took apart the box right there in the bed when I got home. Wife & kids were able to help me handle the various sections of the grill. (You'll get a hernia if you try it by yourself.)
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

PowDay wrote:

thanks for the post. makes my decision much easier
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

My H got one of the original ceramic ones decades ago and has been using it to smoke turkeys for Christmas and New Year's. It IS heavy and takes some care but makes the best smoked turkey!

We have no experience with the Costco Big Green Egg, but gave seen it there and the price is decent.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

keith6014 wrote:Was browsing thru the forums and came across this topic. I enjoy grilling on my Weber Charcoal grill. Was thinking if this sort of grill is worth it?

Any opinions?
I reccommend looking at amazingribs.com or bbqguys.com for reviews and advice. FWIW the amazingribs steak cooking guide will make the best steak you've ever had. Low and slow is the way to go.

Keep in mind that these types of grills can't do two zone cooking very well. Meat shouldn't always be on top of the heat.

I've heard good things about the big green eggs.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

wfrobinette wrote:Keep in mind that these types of grills can't do two zone cooking very well. Meat shouldn't always be on top of the heat.
Depends on the unit. The KJ Classic and Big Joe come with their "Divide and Conquer Flexible Cooking System". It consists of a couple of things, most notably a 3-height rack, a divider for the firebox so you can fill just half of it with coal, and two half moon heat deflectors. Depending on what you're looking for, you can combine these to create different zones. You can also cook things at different heights, with or without the half-moon heat deflectors.

Despite the complicated name, it works really well. You can see some of the options here: http://www.kamadojoe.com/divide-conquer/

There's a picture there of searing steak directly over the flame, and cooking shrimp indirectly. But there are a ton of other options.
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

keith6014 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am Was browsing thru the forums and came across this topic. I enjoy grilling on my Weber Charcoal grill. Was thinking if this sort of grill is worth it?

Any opinions?
Bought kamando joe jr. Only waited 2.5 years to go one sale. :sharebeer
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Congrats! I got a Classic Joe II last year on a Black Friday deal for $700 and have been cooking on it nonstop since. Many pandemic cookouts made on that thing this year. Enjoy :sharebeer
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

gonefishing01 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:41 pm Congrats! I got a Classic Joe II last year on a Black Friday deal for $700 and have been cooking on it nonstop since. Many pandemic cookouts made on that thing this year. Enjoy :sharebeer
cool. mine was $300.
any tools or advice? mine is still in transit.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

My favorite “upgrade” is a Kick Ash Basket to replace the cast iron grate thing that goes in the bottom. Makes for much quicker and less messy cleanup of the chamber.
https://www.kickashbasket.com/

Other than that, I use the cheap ThermoPro remote thermometer with probes and a simple metal grate scraper.

I’ve tried a number of different lump charcoals. The Komodo brand lump is actually really good, but for low and slow the extra cost of the yellow bag Fogo (massive chunks) has been worth and burns evenly and clean all day/night. I’ve been working on perfecting my Texas style briskets with that charcoal and some post oak chunks under it. 5 of them this year and they get better every time.

Find a good butcher shop and look up some YouTube videos and you’ll be in BBQ bliss soon enough!
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

I’d look for this deal to pop up again

https://slickdeals.net/f/14628826-kamad ... rchV2Algo1
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

Rex66 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:11 pm I’d look for this deal to pop up again

https://slickdeals.net/f/14628826-kamad ... rchV2Algo1
thats what i got
Topic Author
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

gonefishing01 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:47 pm My favorite “upgrade” is a Kick Ash Basket to replace the cast iron grate thing that goes in the bottom. Makes for much quicker and less messy cleanup of the chamber.

Other than that, I use the cheap ThermoPro remote thermometer with probes and a simple metal grate scraper.

I’ve tried a number of different lump charcoals. The Komodo brand lump is actually really good, but for low and slow the extra cost of the yellow bag Fogo (massive chunks) has been worth and burns evenly and clean all day/night. I’ve been working on perfecting my Texas style briskets with that charcoal and some post oak chunks under it. 5 of them this year and they get better every time.

Find a good butcher shop and look up some YouTube videos and you’ll be in BBQ bliss soon enough!
bit pricey for the basket. $65. Are you aware of any other alternatives?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

keith6014 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 pm
gonefishing01 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:47 pm My favorite “upgrade” is a Kick Ash Basket to replace the cast iron grate thing that goes in the bottom. Makes for much quicker and less messy cleanup of the chamber.
bit pricey for the basket. $65. Are you aware of any other alternatives?
I'll second the recommendation. Paid $90 for the mild steel Kick Ash basket for my Big Joe 4.5 years ago, will happily spend $130 on the Stainless version to replace it when it eventually warps too badly from heat cycling, but I've got several years yet. Single best upgrade I've made to the grill.

It only saves $4, but you can get it at Ceramic Grill Store with a free lump rake: https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collectio ... -joe-jr-ss
johnkidding

Post by johnkidding »

Weber Summit Charcoal. It's Weber's answer to the kamado grills. It a better kamado (Better heat properties, easier to clean, etc) and won't break like ceramic if it falls over. Expensive but I've been enjoying mine immensely for 4 years now.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/char ... ll-series/
John88

Post by John88 »

keith6014 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am Was browsing thru the forums and came across this topic. I enjoy grilling on my Weber Charcoal grill. Was thinking if this sort of grill is worth it?

Any opinions?
We cooked our bird and some sweet potatoes on our Chargriller Akorn Kamado last week for Thanksgiving. Bought it at Walmart maybe 5 years ago. As previously stated it is an entry level Kamado but IMO only by price not performance. Ours has the two fold out tables on each side. It is insulated steel like the Weber Summitt as opposed to the heavier kamados made out of ceramic materials. So it is more portable. It easily gets hot enough to cook a pizza 600-700+, bake at 350, or low and slow for your 8-10 hours pork shoulders.

No problems with it. I did upgrade the grill grate to a stainless one purchased off of Amazon and bought the ceramic diverter. I don’t remember if had to buy the cover separately. I have owned most all the Webers including the Smokey Mountains and this performs much better. Since our diet has changed to fewer meats and more plant based I do not use it much and mostly use a Weber Q gas grill. Prior the Thanksgiving it might have been a year since its last use. When I opened it up it looked great - no rust or mold. Ours sits outside under its cover but we are in Nor Cal so not too much issues with mold or rust.