Ordering a Weber grill this week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
carolc

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by carolc »

Bought a new Weber last year. One downside compared to my old completely open Weber Spirit grill...placing a full LP tank on the hook inside is quite challenging. Very heavy and awkward. Eventually (I'm 62), I'll probably have to hire someone to attach it.

carolc
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

carolc wrote:Bought a new Weber last year. One downside compared to my old completely open Weber Spirit grill...placing a full LP tank on the hook inside is quite challenging. Very heavy and awkward. Eventually (I'm 62), I'll probably have to hire someone to attach it.

carolc
I did read this, likely why the 2017 redesign included a change back to an open cab.

But, I'm young and strapping and I like the sleek close cab look plus a small storage space...so I'm sure I'll manage for now at least!
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

guitarguy wrote:What type of meat thermometers are you all using?

Does a simple instant digital read out one do? $20 from Amazon.
I have the $20 one from Amazon and use that when I am on extended work travel. (We have grills on-site.) That one is so-so.

At home, I use the ThermaPen from ThermoWorks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

Although its price is closer to $100 than $20, they are professional grade - fast and accurate.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

carolc wrote:Bought a new Weber last year. One downside compared to my old completely open Weber Spirit grill...placing a full LP tank on the hook inside is quite challenging. Very heavy and awkward. Eventually (I'm 62), I'll probably have to hire someone to attach it.

carolc
I agree wholeheartedly - esp on a cold January when you run out 1/2 through. In a way I'm surprised no has redesigned the 20lb tank. Other than preventing overfilling, they haven't done much. I'm also convinced within 10 yrs, we'll be grilling with 240V rechargeable batteries. Those will be "lightweights" as well :happy.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

carolc
Heck I'm 30 and it's hard for me. I do like the look of the closed cabinet though.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Pshonore, I bet we do we see some sort of electric "induction grill" very soon. I don't think it will be battery operated but will be electric. Some of my friends are using induction home stoves and they really love them. They heat up almost instantly and are great for cooking.

I bet it is pretty straight forward to put a induction coil below a Weber cast iron grill to make a great fast heating outdoor grill. All you would have to do is replace the gas tubes with a big coil system. Then you just plug it into the wall socket and start cooking. I wonder if this would be safe for no fire high rise apartments?

Good Luck.
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

BW1985 wrote:Does anyone else get the flaky build up on the underside of the lid? I don't know what that's from or what it is so I worry about it falling into my food.

I scrape it with a plastic putty knife and then it gets all over the grates.
It's grease buildup. If you look at a new Weber the inside of the lid has a metal lining it is shiny- no paint to be found. Over time the grease builds up and looks like flaking paint. A heavy dose of oven cleaner and elbow grease will clean it nicely. Take the lid off where you can use it like a giant sink and clean away. Most other grills have the same issue. Cheaper grills won't have the liner inside the lid, but will eventually form the same thing.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

lthenderson wrote:
jharkin wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.
What part of grill rusted? Stainless steel, unless its an alloy with a very low nickel/chrome content (like stainless knifes), doesn't rust much; if a at all. Thats why its called "stainless"
Stainless steel is rust resistant but certainly not rust proof. Like you were alluding too, not all stainless steel is equal. In my former life we built machines out of 316 stainless which contains molybdenum which drastically enhances rust resistant properties. However, it is quite a bit more expensive than 304 stainless which is what is found in most products like this. Combine that with high heat and in my case, moisture from the condensation inside the cover and it was just a recipe from disaster. The bottom of the burner box that the lid and all the burner tubes, racks, etc. attach too is what rusted out. I didn't notice it until I went to turn on the gas and saw the inside of the cabinet was full of rusty metal chunks and I could see daylight coming through. I looked at replacing the box but the manufacturer only sold the assembly and at a price tag of $500. At that point I cut my losses and bought the cheap grill that has no stainless of any kind and I haven't covered it. I should note that my previous grill was a cheapo non-stainless model that I never covered that lasted for 15 years. When it fell apart, I wanted to splurge on a nice stainless steel "forever" grill and naturally wanted to cover it to protect my investment. That turned out to be a huge mistake on my part.

Yeah, I never worked in the industry but I have an engineering background and took materials science and have some familiarity with the differneces between 304 and 316 - which is why I commented about the different grades. As I understood it, the main advantage of 316 is in saltwater environments. I'm surprised that 304 would rust out completely in Iowa in a few years, short of being completely submerged in water.

It wouldn't surprise me if the parts of your grill that rusted where plain carbon steel. Often consumer products are labelled as stainless when only a couple cosmetic parts are (like "stainless" refrigerators where only the front door face is stainless). For example I have the next model down Weber - the Spirit - and its called a "stainless" model but the only parts that are stainless are the 2 side shelves and the front control panel. The grill lid, and the entire stand are all enameled steel, and the lower shell of the grill is cast aluminum. I live < 15 miles from the ocean and have kept it covered for at least 5 years now and not a spec of rust on it anywhere....
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

btenny wrote:Pshonore, I bet we do we see some sort of electric "induction grill" very soon. I don't think it will be battery operated but will be electric. Some of my friends are using induction home stoves and they really love them. They heat up almost instantly and are great for cooking.

I bet it is pretty straight forward to put a induction coil below a Weber cast iron grill to make a great fast heating outdoor grill. All you would have to do is replace the gas tubes with a big coil system. Then you just plug it into the wall socket and start cooking. I wonder if this would be safe for no fire high rise apartments?

Good Luck.
Induction stoves work by generating a magnetic field that directly causes the ferrous metal pan to heat up. That's why they only work with stainless, carbon steel and cast iron cookware. If you put an induction coil in a grill you would need some metal cookware on it to heat up, or a large heavy grilling grate to heat up. I dont know how effective the latter case will be but it will only be surface contact heat so its going to cook more like a griddle full of holes and you will probably loose much the indirect heat roasting effect when cooking with the cover closed.

Much more likely for a future "electric" grill to work like the indoor models with resistance coils, assuming you want it to cook like a grill.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Big fan of Weber grilles, here. I had a S-310 a few years ago, it was a fine grill. The only issue I had with it was that it had to be used with the lid closed. It would not cook with the lid open, at all. I called Weber and they said it was normal. They said their grille's are designed and engineered to be used with the lid closed, period. I'm a serious grilling guy, I need blazing hot, searing heat, with the lid up. I'm currently using my Dad's old Genesis Gold B and it works pretty good, although, not IR hot.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

delete
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

researcher wrote:
mak1277 wrote:If you do want to cover the grill, my recommendation would be to buy a $3 blue tarp and a couple of bungee cords to secure it. Don't pay $30 or $50 or whatever Weber charges for their cover.
The OP is willing to spend $800+ on a new Weber grill.

Yet you think he should save ~$20 by using a non-fitting blue tarp held on by bungee cords?

Why not spend the extra ~$20 and get a nice-looking fitted cover that does not require fiddling with bungee cords?
Weber makes terrific grills. Have had mine for over 5 years and still going strong. Just needs a good cleaning. Other than emptying/changing the oil drip tray once in a while, I just burn off to clean.

Not the same comparison. The grill is a durable good and should last 10 years, maybe longer. Worth paying $80/year. A cover is a consumable part IMO.

I had a cover on mine that didn't last 2 years. YMMV. Some Amazon covers have 3 year warranties, but if you read the comments, many people have needed replacement. Paying 5% the cost of the item for a cover is a no brainer. Paying 25% the price is less compelling.

If you keep it fully exposed, a cover helps a bit, and I'd get it. I got a replacement, but I've been too lazy to clean up the grill to bother to use it. I recall it was about $20. I think the original cover came from Costco and was similar cost. Maybe a more expensive cover may last longer.

If you have a covered area where the grill doesn't get wet, a cover probably isn't worth the trouble. And even if it's uncovered, you just have to wipe it down or clean it a little more often. Not much more trouble than covering and uncovering the thing.

Ultimately, it might come down to aesthetics. Do you want to see a dirty/dusty grill or a covered grill when it's not used?
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I'm probably asking on the wrong board, but is a Weber Genesis worth the extra $1,000? We don't do anything fancy on our grill....but assuming I have the means, I wonder if it's worth it. Does it look noticeably nicer (I know that's a subjective assessment, but just curious).
btenny

Post by btenny »

Flashes the Weber grill I have just cooks much better than other grills and it is built like a tank. So it will last forever. I have had 4 other brands over the years and there is no comparison. The only reason to not buy one is size. All the good Weber gas grills are big. So if you need a small gas grill for a tight space you will have to buy another brand.

Oh and the good Genesis models do not cost $1000. Mine was $800 including a good cover and a stainless wood smoker box and part of the tax. I think it was about $830 all in price.

Good Luck.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Flashes1 wrote:I'm probably asking on the wrong board, but is a Weber Genesis worth the extra $1,000? We don't do anything fancy on our grill....but assuming I have the means, I wonder if it's worth it. Does it look noticeably nicer (I know that's a subjective assessment, but just curious).
I agree with btenny. There is no comparison, at least between cheap grills. Cooks better, doesn't fall apart. If you think spending $300 for a grill is "worth it", then a $900 Weber will be, too.

If you enjoy grilling at all, you will enjoy it more on a Weber (or similar quality) grill.

Grills and tires are two of the few things I've stopped going cheap on.

JT
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

bottlecap wrote:
Flashes1 wrote:I'm probably asking on the wrong board, but is a Weber Genesis worth the extra $1,000? We don't do anything fancy on our grill....but assuming I have the means, I wonder if it's worth it. Does it look noticeably nicer (I know that's a subjective assessment, but just curious).
I agree with btenny. There is no comparison, at least between cheap grills. Cooks better, doesn't fall apart. If you think spending $300 for a grill is "worth it", then a $900 Weber will be, too.

If you enjoy grilling at all, you will enjoy it more on a Weber (or similar quality) grill.

Grills and tires are two of the few things I've stopped going cheap on.

JT
Agreed with this sentiment. Very happy with mine. Wish I had gone even further.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I just ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker 14.5". Never smoked anything before. Almost went for an electric one but the charcoal one kept calling me back. The decision to go with Weber was an easy one. Those smokers are pretty much 5 star ratings anywhere you look.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
ram

Post by ram »

I planned on buying a new grill this year. Based on the info on this thread I bought a Weber genesis EP 310 grill yesterday. Last year model. Made in US. Stainless steel grates. No side burner. Cost 750 and Tax. Assembly, delivery and one propane replacement included. Bought from the local True Value store.
Ram
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

carolc
Yes, the hooking up is a pain (I'm 69). A friend of mine has a dial attachment to the tank which gives a read out showing how much propane is left. I don't know if these are safe or accurate, but he has not had a issue with the gauge. I may try it as it would be easier to avoid hoisting the tank onto the hook.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I have the dial gauge on my other grill that is not a Weber. The dial is OK. It sorta shows when the tank to getting low on fuel. But you still have to pick up the tank on that grill and move it out so it is clumsy and heavy.

Good Luck.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

btenny wrote:I have the dial gauge on my other grill that is not a Weber. The dial is OK. It sorta shows when the tank to getting low on fuel. But you still have to pick up the tank on that grill and move it out so it is clumsy and heavy.

Good Luck.
IMHO, gauges to measure propane are worthless. You buy propane by weight, so anything less than weighing will not be accurate.

Before I got my natural gas line for my new Weber, I always kept a backup propane tank. Even if you could measure level accurately, what good does that do if the food is cooking and you run out? It is not economical to refill a nearly empty tank ahead of time ensure you have enough for a longer cookout.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Jimmie wrote:
btenny wrote:I have the dial gauge on my other grill that is not a Weber. The dial is OK. It sorta shows when the tank to getting low on fuel. But you still have to pick up the tank on that grill and move it out so it is clumsy and heavy.

Good Luck.
IMHO, gauges to measure propane are worthless. You buy propane by weight, so anything less than weighing will not be accurate.

Before I got my natural gas line for my new Weber, I always kept a backup propane tank. Even if you could measure level accurately, what good does that do if the food is cooking and you run out? It is not economical to refill a nearly empty tank ahead of time ensure you have enough for a longer cookout.
If you have a local Tractor Supply, they sell propane by the gallon. If your tank is 1/2 empty, you'll pay 1/2 the price. Just like buying gasoline.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

pennstater2005 wrote:I just ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker 14.5". Never smoked anything before. Almost went for an electric one but the charcoal one kept calling me back. The decision to go with Weber was an easy one. Those smokers are pretty much 5 star ratings anywhere you look.
Have one, love it. It happily runs @ ~225. It's upped my bbq game.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I refill my tank when it gets down to 1/4 or so. That way I don't run out in the middle of cooking something. I refill it at UHaul and they charge me by the gallon filled so it doesn't matter if the tank is not empty.

Good Luck
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Jimmie wrote:

Good Luck.

+1

I have a propane grill and a propane smoker (neither are Weber). I also have a hand-held scale to weigh the tanks, but rarely use it. It is so much simpler to keep a spare full tank and just swap a tank out when it runs out of propane.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Bengineer wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:I just ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker 14.5". Never smoked anything before. Almost went for an electric one but the charcoal one kept calling me back. The decision to go with Weber was an easy one. Those smokers are pretty much 5 star ratings anywhere you look.
Have one, love it. It happily runs @ ~225. It's upped my bbq game.
Just came today! Can't wait to start smoking :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

For Easter, I went to the in laws. We were supposed to cook a rib roast on their new grill, a Nextgrill 5 Burner stainless ($400). After cooking a few things on it Saturday, I told them there was no way it would cook the roast properly. So into the oven it went.

The grill sure looked nice on their deck and they "saved" $400 by not going with a Weber, but man it was barely usable. It won't keep a steady 225 degrees (or any other temp for that matter) with the lid down and it's not hot enough to sear even on full blast. It was barely serviceable for burgers. Dogs it would probably do okay, but that's about it.

Weber is not the only brand that works out there, but this weekend was a reminder that if you don't know what you're doing, not spending the extra money can cost you in the end.

JT
btenny

Post by btenny »

I also have a Broil King Baron grill that is pretty nice and small. It is very rugged and well built. The key is it fits next to my door in Tahoe so I can cook outside in the winter. It cooks OK but not as well as the Weber Genesis. I ordered mine from Ace Hardware. I think it was about $400.

https://www.thespruce.com/broil-king-ba ... 20s-334522
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Jimmie wrote:

Good Luck.

+1

I have a propane grill and a propane smoker (neither are Weber). I also have a hand-held scale to weigh the tanks, but rarely use it. It is so much simpler to keep a spare full tank and just swap a tank out when it runs out of propane.
I also keep a spare full tank.

That said my new Weber Genesis did come with a little deal that measures the propane level, but it doesn't look like a normal dial gauge. I didn't inspect it that closely...just unboxed everything quickly and will put together another day. Any opinions on how well the Weber gauge works?
btenny

Post by btenny »

My Weber has a classic spring weight gauge inside that you put the tank on and it holds the tank. It works fine and seem pretty accurate. It show when the tanks is full to 3/4 to 1/2 to 1/4 to empty with red marks at each point. I take the tank off and get it refilled when the gauge gets to 1/4. But if I am cooking ribs or some other slow cook item I get it refilled at 1/2 or below which is a PIA. I should just get a second tank.

Good Luck.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

btenny wrote:My Weber has a classic spring weight gauge inside that you put the tank on and it holds the tank. It works fine and seem pretty accurate. It show when the tanks is full to 3/4 to 1/2 to 1/4 to empty with red marks at each point. I take the tank off and get it refilled when the gauge gets to 1/4. But if I am cooking ribs or some other slow cook item I get it refilled at 1/2 or below which is a PIA. I should just get a second tank.

Good Luck.
Then, assuming you have no readily available source to re-fill partially full tanks, I would use up those low level tanks for two things: quick cooks like burgers or attach it to my weed burner. The weed burner is used for (surprise!) burning weeds in the cracks of my driveway and starting my stick-burning (wood) smoker.
WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout »

Have had my Weber Genesis Silver since 2000, and while it doesn't look as pretty as it was new, it's still a phenomenal grill. Every so often I would see a rusted out grill on the curb for pick up in front of one of the houses in our neighborhood back home, and never was it a Weber. Char-Broil seemed to be the curbside brand of choice...
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

guitarguy wrote:Pretty set on a Weber Genesis, but not sure if I should go with the older model E-330 or the brand new Genesis II E-310.

The 330 is $100 more at $799, but has a side burner (which will get light use) and a sear burner (which I've never had, but sounds awesome). It also has a closed cabinet design, no storage, but hides the tank. Made in USA.

The 310 is the brand new model, no side burner or sear station. Longer warranty for the cooking system and ignition...but don't Weber grills last forever anyway? Bluetooth cooking temp monitor available? Probably won't buy that add-on. Open cabinet design gives a shelf for storage, doesn't look as good as the closed cabinet and I don't think I'd use the shelf much. Hmm. Made in China.

Anyone shopping now and doing research that can chime in?

Anyone have any of these grills that has anything good/bad to say?

The E-330 is going to be hard to come by very soon since the new model has been introduced. Most big box stores are already sold out of it. Making the decision soon!

Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...
I was looking at the 410 and ended up with Napoleon prestige 500 RBC.

This is one nice 3 burner that has a infrared side sear station that sears almost as good as a cast iron skillet. Napoleon Rogue 425 Freestanding R425SIBNSS
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

WiscoTrout wrote:Have had my Weber Genesis Silver since 2000, and while it doesn't look as pretty as it was new, it's still a phenomenal grill. Every so often I would see a rusted out grill on the curb for pick up in front of one of the houses in our neighborhood back home, and never was it a Weber. Char-Broil seemed to be the curbside brand of choice...
That was mine you saw on the curb. It was a piece of junk. Didn't heat properly, and was impossible to keep clean. Tossed it aside and got a Weber, which was what I should have done originally.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

Jimmie wrote:
fishmonger wrote:Wondering what most of you consider basic maintenance/what you do to make your grill last? I have a Weber Spirit and try to always keep the grates greased up, always brush it before laying the food on, and when taking the food off. Other than that, I give it a real deep clean probably once a year with a scraper and a water/vinegar mixture.

Any other tips?
I fitted mine with these placed right over the factory-supplied grates: https://www.grillgrate.com/

These clean up easy and leave killer grill marks. All the "Grillmasters" you see on TV use these at competitions, since appearance counts in the scoring.

DISCLAIMER: For the last ten years, I have been a Kansas City Barbecue Society Certified Barbecue Judge. I own two sets of these and have no affiliation to this company. I have had email contact with the owner in a customer service context.

Other than that, a simple wipe-down of the stainless steel once in a while is the only maintenance I ever need to perform.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out and all the reviews are outstanding so I was a bit skeptical, but their claims made sense to me. I got the replacement set for my Weber Genesis, and they work as advertised. Great upgrade, but don't how longer term cleaning will go yet. They actually recommend not doing a high heat burn-off after you're done cooking, but to basically do this step when you begin cooking next time.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

destinationnc wrote:Great upgrade, but don't how longer term cleaning will go yet. They actually recommend not doing a high heat burn-off after you're done cooking, but to basically do this step when you begin cooking next time.
I bought my first set to resurrect my old grill probably 10 years ago. That set was given to my son who loves them. The newer set I got when I got my Weber. No food has ever touched the OEM grates.

I have gotten them plenty caked up with marinades and BBQ sauces. A high heat burn, even upside down, does the trick. The website has far more detailed instructions.

Those are hard anodized, so be careful scraping them excessively with metal tools.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Now I am curious. Why use those aluminum grill mate things instead of the cast iron OEM grates from Weber. My Genesis came with great iron grates that do very good grill marks and let the oil and grease go down to the flame covers and burn. This is the way the grill was designed to work. The Weber Genesis is designed to burn off the excess fat with no flare ups but let the smoke from that fat come back up to season the meat. Why change it?

Yes I get why those BBQ competition guys use them. Those guy/gals mostly have custom built giant grills that cook 100s of pounds of meat at once so they need giant grates. But why would a simple back yard grill guy change his Weber to those grates?

Good Luck.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

btenny wrote:Now I am curious. Why use those aluminum grill mate things instead of the cast iron OEM grates from Weber. My Genesis came with great iron grates that do very good grill marks and let the oil and grease go down to the flame covers and burn. This is the way the grill was designed to work. The Weber Genesis is designed to burn off the excess fat with no flare ups but let the smoke from that fat come back up to season the meat. Why change it?

Yes I get why those BBQ competition guys use them. Those guy/gals mostly have custom built giant grills that cook 100s of pounds of meat at once so they need giant grates. But why would a simple back yard grill guy change his Weber to those grates?

Good Luck.
Cast iron would be a decent second option, but I think flare-ups would be a bigger issue since there is more open space.

Regarding BBQ competition guys, they do not cook 100's of pounds of meat at once. They usually furnish and pay for their own meats. I am a KCBS Certified BBQ Judge. At a KCBS sanctioned event, they only need to furnish six (6) separate and identifiable pieces of chicken, pork ribs and brisket - one for each judge. (There are six judges at a table) Pulled pork can be presented different ways. Those Grill Grates do a great job regardless of the amount of food.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Jimmie wrote:
guitarguy wrote:What type of meat thermometers are you all using?

Does a simple instant digital read out one do? $20 from Amazon.
I have the $20 one from Amazon and use that when I am on extended work travel. (We have grills on-site.) That one is so-so.

At home, I use the ThermaPen from ThermoWorks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

Although its price is closer to $100 than $20, they are professional grade - fast and accurate.
I agree, Thermapens are quick, accurate and reliable (long lasting). Look around and you'll find them at significant discounts. See here....
http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?color=1
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

btenny wrote:Now I am curious. Why use those aluminum grill mate things instead of the cast iron OEM grates from Weber. My Genesis came with great iron grates that do very good grill marks and let the oil and grease go down to the flame covers and burn. This is the way the grill was designed to work. The Weber Genesis is designed to burn off the excess fat with no flare ups but let the smoke from that fat come back up to season the meat. Why change it?
I have my own thoughts on this. Have you ever seen a restaurant/steakhouse/burger joint with a lid on their grill? of course not. Why? Because a grill with a closed lid is an oven. Steaks and burgers are always better when seared over extreme radiant heat, not convective heat. trouble is, very few consumer grade grills made today are able to create that kind of heat with the lid open. (We're talking gas grills, here). That's why IR grills were invented. Grillgrates, or what you call "grill mate things", fix that problem for standard gas grills. with a standard grill, 90-95% of all that heat and energy is just wasted with the lid up as it just escapes through the cooking grate into the open air, leaving very littler heat for coking. With Grillgrates covering your entire cooking surface, 90-95% of the heat and energy is now trapped underneath the cooking surface. This trapped heat is now concentrated onto the cooking surface, making it extremely hot for searing, even with the lid up. I struggled for years trying to figure out why my grilled burgers were lacking that backyard grilled flavor. With Grillgrates on my grill, I can now sear burgers withe the lid up and they are nothing short of phenomenal.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Meow. My Weber has a sear burner and three other burners. It gets to 600 degrees in about 10 minutes if I turn everything on and leave the lid closed. It is too hot to do steaks at that temperature, but it is great for pizza. I usually heat the grill to 400 degrees for cooking steaks and burgers. I sear the meat with a nice hex pattern of grill marks at this temperature with the lid open. Then I then close the lid and turn down the temperature. Then I let them bake and cook with the lid closed. Then I take them off the grill and let them set for a few minutes before serving.

When I talk to my friends who are a professional chefs this is how the cook steaks. They grill them for 2-4 minutes per side and then bake them in a oven for a few minutes to the finish them. They then let them set in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes. The main difference they talk about is the premium quality of the meat they buy. They get aged beef and good butchering and pay a lot for it. I buy Costco standard beef.

I also do not get flare ups with the Weber setup. The burners are down away from the grills and do not hold a lot of grease or drippings. So no flareups.

Good Luck.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

btenny wrote:Meow. My Weber has a sear burner and three other burners. It gets to 600 degrees in about 10 minutes if I turn everything on and leave the lid closed. It is too hot to do steaks at that temperature, but it is great for pizza. I usually heat the grill to 400 degrees for cooking steaks and burgers. I sear the meat with a nice hex pattern of grill marks at this temperature with the lid open. Then I then close the lid and turn down the temperature. Then I let them bake and cook with the lid closed. Then I take them off the grill and let them set for a few minutes before serving.

When I talk to my friends who are a professional chefs this is how the cook steaks. They grill them for 2-4 minutes per side and then bake them in a oven for a few minutes to the finish them. They then let them set in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes. The main difference they talk about is the premium quality of the meat they buy. They get aged beef and good butchering and pay a lot for it. I buy Costco standard beef.

I also do not get flare ups with the Weber setup. The burners are down away from the grills and do not hold a lot of grease or drippings. So no flareups.

Good Luck.
Hi, btenny. I hear you. I understand the entire internet sides with you. I've never seen a Youtube video that advises leaving the lid open when grilling steaks and burgers. Believe me, I've researched this to death and nobody leaves the lid open when grilling. However, and I'll repeat it again, there's a reason why professional chefs working in restaurants don't have lids on their grills. They don't like baking their meat. Skillet to oven, fine, but when grilling, I never, ever do it. I can tell the difference. It is the reason why my burgers lacked flavor on the grill. My burgers were always good, but they were never great. I could never replicate on my grill what my favorite burger joint could. Now I now why. I don't know what to say except, if you've never had a steak or a burger seared over a 1,000 degree IR grill (lid open) you owe it to yourself.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

meowcat wrote:Believe me, I've researched this to death and nobody leaves the lid open when grilling. However, and I'll repeat it again, there's a reason why professional chefs working in restaurants don't have lids on their grills. They don't like baking their meat. Skillet to oven, fine, but when grilling, I never, ever do it. I can tell the difference. It is the reason why my burgers lacked flavor on the grill. My burgers were always good, but they were never great. I could never replicate on my grill what my favorite burger joint could. Now I now why. I don't know what to say except, if you've never had a steak or a burger seared over a 1,000 degree IR grill (lid open) you owe it to yourself.
Commercial cooking equipment has much more heat capacity than what the average consumer would have at home. There are exceptions, but that equipment is expensive. If a consumer wants commercial grade equipment, he or she will pay dearly for it.

Besides the grill example, food that I feel always tastes better "out" is fried chicken and Chinese food. These can be attributed to the larger vats of oil and commercial grade woks respectively. Again, more heat capacity.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Jimmy. The "heat capacity" is why the Weber comes standard with these big thick massive cast iron grill grates. Each grate weighs 5lbs (?). So it holds the heat and will not cool off or heat up fast. That is also what the sear burner is all about. It is BIG burner that puts out a lot of heat. See here.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/whats- ... o-i-use-it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CepT9bDvnlo

Good Luck
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I prefer the original Weber stainless grates to grillgrates. There's not a whole lot of difference in my experience and the grillgrates are harder to clean up.

I have no idea where people think they've been told to grill hamburgers or sear steaks with the lid down. I've never seen that advice. High heat grilling is always lid up.

JT
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

btenny wrote:Jimmy. The "heat capacity" is why the Weber comes standard with these big thick massive cast iron grill grates. Each grate weighs 5lbs (?). So it holds the heat and will not cool off or heat up fast. That is also what the sear burner is all about. It is BIG burner that puts out a lot of heat. See here.

Good Luck
I own the Weber E-330 and love it. Most of this discussion thread has gone to comparing the heat capacity of a Weber to commercial grade equipment, which is apples to oranges.

No one has posted the numbers in BTUs, nor have they posted the heat loss calculations for varying outdoor temps or wind speeds. These both cause a significant heat loss and explain why the same ribeyes that I cook for 7 minutes in July take 11 minutes in December. This is with all of the burners on the Weber, included the sear station, opened to full bore.

The problem with the E-330 grates are that they are not cast iron like a seasoned pan. They are porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and are not particularly heavy, IMO. I chose to upgrade to Grill Grates that sit directly on the OEM grates. I happen to love them.
jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter »

If you think spending $300 for a grill is "worth it", then a $900 Weber will be, too.
I bought a natural gas Weber seven years ago. It looks and works like when it was new, so I think it was money well spent. I can cook for twenty on the thing. I clean it well after each use, and use the Weber covers - it has lived its entire life outside, no problems.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Jimmie wrote:
btenny wrote:Jimmy. The "heat capacity" is why the Weber comes standard with these big thick massive cast iron grill grates. Each grate weighs 5lbs (?). So it holds the heat and will not cool off or heat up fast. That is also what the sear burner is all about. It is BIG burner that puts out a lot of heat. See here.

Good Luck
I own the Weber E-330 and love it. Most of this discussion thread has gone to comparing the heat capacity of a Weber to commercial grade equipment, which is apples to oranges.

No one has posted the numbers in BTUs, nor have they posted the heat loss calculations for varying outdoor temps or wind speeds. These both cause a significant heat loss and explain why the same ribeyes that I cook for 7 minutes in July take 11 minutes in December. This is with all of the burners on the Weber, included the sear station, opened to full bore.

The problem with the E-330 grates are that they are not cast iron like a seasoned pan. They are porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and are not particularly heavy, IMO. I chose to upgrade to Grill Grates that sit directly on the OEM grates. I happen to love them.
This.
On my S-310 Weber, I tried grilling burgers with the lid up, once. Didn't wok too well. I let the grill preheat with the lid down for about 20 minutes. I'm guessing 400-500 degrees. I then threw on a couple of half pound chuck patties and left the lid open. At first, they seemed to be searing pretty good but after about 60 seconds, all sizzling stopped. I waited 10 minutes but nothing was happening. Another 10 minutes and I got impatient and flipped them. They weren't cooking at all. They looked like raw wet meat on a cold sidewalk. I could hold my hand right over the cooking grate indefinitely. Again, Weber told me this was normal and that their grills will not cook with the lid up. Grillgrates fixed that problem. I can now sear burgers on a blazing hot surface with the lid up and it's amazing.
Last edited by meowcat on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Curse you guys! :happy

Grill Grates are now on my wishlist. I'll give myself a week or so cooling off period before I place my order though. I'm considering only getting enough to cover half my grill as I think I would rather use the old grates to slow-cook items such as chicken at lower temps. Good or bad idea?

Isn't this site supposed to save me :moneybag ?
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Doom&Gloom wrote:Curse you guys! :happy

Grill Grates are now on my wishlist. I'll give myself a week or so cooling off period before I place my order though. I'm considering only getting enough to cover half my grill as I think I would rather use the old grates to slow-cook items such as chicken at lower temps. Good or bad idea?

Isn't this site supposed to save me :moneybag ?
Love my Grillgrates. They completely transformed my grill into a searing machine. They do require a little maintenance, though.