Six pack for barbecue?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TxAg

Re: Six pack for barbecue?

Post by TxAg »

Corona is the equivalent to Bud Light. Works in a pinch but there are better options.

I agree with everyone else that says bring 12 instead of 6.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

As a lover of all types of quality beer, I'm cringing at the Bud Light suggestions...though I do recognize that not everyone loves great beer.

Honestly, get both ends. Bring a sixer of some common big brew and get a sixer of something on the opposite end.

Bud Light and Chimay White would be an interesting juxtaposition.
Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 »

In my circle of friends (mostly 30-somethings living in a beer town), being asked to bring a 6-pack for a barbeque with 6 people attending would mean (1) the host is also providing some beer or has asked others to bring some as well (so no need to bring more than a 6-pack) and (2) you're expected to bring beer that you'll enjoy. Also, since we're in the south, they wouldn't have called this event "a barbeque" unless it features what we call "barbeque", which is barbequed pork. Instead, it would be a "cookout." :D

I'd bring a mid-range (~$10 for a 6-pack) session IPA, hefewiezen, brown ale, golden ale, or fancy lager (we have some microbrews doing lagers that are drinkable).
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Lars_2013 wrote:Also, since we're in the south, they wouldn't have called this event "a barbeque" unless it features what we call "barbeque", which is barbequed pork. Instead, it would be a "cookout." :D
I gave up on arguing this point a long time ago. To some people, a steamed hot dog is barbecue.

Barbecue is regional. Tell a Texan that barbecue is exclusively "pork" and they'll hit you over the head with a full packer brisket. :shock:
midareff

Post by midareff »

Ketawa wrote:It's pretty clear you're not much of a beer drinker. A 6-pack means bottled beers. I would not bring something like Bud or Bud Light. Bring a nice summertime beer like a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Sierra Nevada has wide distribution and should be available just about anywhere for a standard ~$10 per 6-pack. If you want to bring a couple 6-packs, go with the hefeweizen and something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA in case some of the other guests would like something hoppy.

My thinking is more along these lines as well. To add to Ketawa's suggestions perhaps a Blue Moon Belgium Light Ale and a Sam Adams Boston Lager and a Mexican Presidente or XXX, or almost any top ten or twenty IPO (Google) in the mix. Nothing that isn't bottled and avoid the domestic WOS Today stuff.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

midareff wrote:
Ketawa wrote:It's pretty clear you're not much of a beer drinker. A 6-pack means bottled beers. I would not bring something like Bud or Bud Light. Bring a nice summertime beer like a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Sierra Nevada has wide distribution and should be available just about anywhere for a standard ~$10 per 6-pack. If you want to bring a couple 6-packs, go with the hefeweizen and something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA in case some of the other guests would like something hoppy.

My thinking is more along these lines as well. To add to Ketawa's suggestions perhaps a Blue Moon Belgium Light Ale and a Sam Adams Boston Lager and a Mexican Presidente or XXX, or almost any top ten or twenty IPO (Google) in the mix. Nothing that isn't bottled and avoid the domestic WOS Today stuff.
LOL Early in the post, wine snobs were demonized. Now the beer snobs are at it.

Shouldn't the beer selection be aligned with the tastes of the guests? This might even mean the inclusion of (gasp) Bud Light. Some beer drinkers are loyal to old brands and may just want to wash down some BBQ with something more thirst-quenching. Some of them might not know how to spell IPA. :D
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jimmie wrote:
midareff wrote:

LOL Early in the post, wine snobs were demonized. Now the beer snobs are at it.

Shouldn't the beer selection be aligned with the tastes of the guests? This might even mean the inclusion of (gasp) Bud Light. Some beer drinkers are loyal to old brands and may just want to wash down some BBQ with something more thirst-quenching. Some of them might not know how to spell IPA. :D
Of course it should Jimmie... but it seems reasonable that an OP who isn't beer knowledgeable, even cans vs. bottles, wouldn't be knowledgeable about the personal tastes of the attendee's .. so (IMHO) a variety might be more appropriate, and better to bring a few extra's than not enough. Also, FWIW, those who drink Bud Light or whatever their fav house beer brand is might like the opportunity to sample something on a different point of the scale. Quite a few years ago a beer distributor told me how Bud became the #1 selling brand. He said it was because it was the second choice of so many. I have no idea if that is still true. I'd hardly call myself a beer snob and rarely drink beer although there are 12 bottles of Boston Lager in my fridge due to a great sale at the local grocery. It could just as well been Heiny or any of several others with summer in South Florida coming. Knowing what flavors I prefer doesn't make me a beer snob, and by the time you get to 70 I'll guess you will have tried a few flavors. OTOH, knowing I prefer the taste of Speyside single malts (it's the minerals in the water and casks) doesn't make me a Scotch snob either. .. LOL, and I have a preference for Bogle Vinyard's
Cab if you want do wine. Pretty good stuff for $9.49 a bottle.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Jimmie wrote: Shouldn't the beer selection be aligned with the tastes of the guests? This might even mean the inclusion of (gasp) Bud Light. Some beer drinkers are loyal to old brands and may just want to wash down some BBQ with something more thirst-quenching. Some of them might not know how to spell IPA. :D
IPAs are heavy on flavor and bitterness and nowhere watery enough for half of the beer drinking population.
Plus, if you're having better meats, like baby back ribs or steaks, you might not want a heavy IPA competing with the meat flavor.
I said might...
Attempted new signature...
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Ask your friends, not the internet.

Seriously.

And have fun!

JT
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Most of my replies to this post so far deal with the "choice overload" we have grown accustomed to. This thread obviously addresses "beer".

It need not matter the commodity, there is choice after choice after choice. Beer, wine, soft drinks (note, I avoided calling it "pop" or "soda" to avoid another discussion topic). I'm old - almost 60. I would never have imagined in my lifetime how many different ways there would be to get a Coca-Cola. When I was a kid, there was one.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

If you want to get creative, find a place that does make your own six packs and bring 12 different beers!
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

Ok one thing I'll say is that if he was asked to bring a six-pack, he's probably not the only one bringing beer. We do this all the time and half the people bring beer and half the people bring some food items, and normally the host will supply the main food (ie burgers or whatever).

Can't go wrong bringing two sixpacks instead of one, but if you show up with four my guess is that you went WELL beyond what anybody was expecting.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Grab a cooler with ice.

1. Toss in a 6-pack of bottled water (not everyone drinks)
2. Toss in a 6-pack of some domestic beer like Bud Light. Some people don't like heavier beers. My wife only drinks light pilsners like Bud or Corona.
3. Toss in a 6-pack of some higher end beer, preferably some local craft beer which will be a regional choice
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

maxq wrote:I'm in Texas, so BBQ means Shiner Bock and/or Lone Star with the friends I run with.
I saw the title and "Shiner Bock" was the first thing that came to mind. It used to only be available in central Texas where it is brewed, but you can now get it throughout the US. It's my "house" beer in Chicago and so far everyone who has tried it likes it. They sell it in 12 packs and it should be priced like the mass-market Mexican beers, i.e., somewhere between Bud or Coors and the boutique microbrews.

Whatever you do, don't get an IPA. The flavors are out of balance, very hoppy, and often bitter. They are ubiquitous because they have a distinctive flavor that seems to appeal to the beginner beer snob and are relatively easy to brew so appeal to the beginner home-brewer and microbrewery.

True beer snobs :happy eventually outgrow the fascination with IPAs and end up enjoying the finely balanced ales of Belgium and the microbrews which successfully emulate the Belgian approach. :sharebeer
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Lot of good answers in this thread so far. I'd probably follow Ketawa's suggestions and then throw in a 6 pack of Summer Shandy as well. Perfect BBQ beverage.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

OP, you are probably at the BBQ right now, but tell us what you decided on.

It would have depended on the preferences of the guests, but I would have suggested Dortmunder Gold Lager by Great Lakes Brewing Company. I think it's the perfect beer that isn't over the top, but is high quality as far as craft beer is concerned. If you were going to bring an additional six pack, I would have suggested Dales Pale Ale by Oskar Blues or Dogfishead 60 Minute IPA. Both are higher on the IBU scale (bitterness) but still balanced and complex.

PS.. craft beer should be enjoyed around 45 degrees, not ice cold.
4fitness

Post by 4fitness »

John Laurens wrote:I would bring a bottle of Pepsi and some ring dings. Guaranteed someone comes up to you later and says, "just between me and you, I'm glad you brought the ring dings".

Regards,
John
Very nice, Georgie.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Bring one growler of Crux Half Hitch IPA and a six pack of bottled bud light.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Diet coke. :)
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

OP,

What did you bring and how was the BBQ? :-)
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I would bring a case of Bud Light in the can and buy a six pack of a high end beer in the bottle. I'm a bud light guy, but I usually buy Blue Moon for the folks who like micro brews and the fancier stuff. You may want to bring a few bags of chips or something like that.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

stemikger wrote:but I usually buy Blue Moon for the folks who like micro brews and the fancier stuff.
Blue moon is a joke for people that like beers as its generally really liked by people who want to pretend that they like craft beer similar to someone saying they really like wine but then brings moscato or something to go with dinner. There is nothing really wrong with it taste wise but it gets a lot of hate for being a"fake microbrew".

In any case, this thread was made way too complicated and had some really bad advice. Recommending specific regional beers??? Or saying don't bring light beer to a BBQ??? All of the macro hate???
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

barnaclebob wrote:
stemikger wrote:but I usually buy Blue Moon for the folks who like micro brews and the fancier stuff.
Blue moon is a joke for people that like beers as its generally really liked by people who want to pretend that they like craft beer similar to someone saying they really like wine but then brings moscato or something to go with dinner. There is nothing really wrong with it taste wise but it gets a lot of hate for being a"fake microbrew".

In any case, this thread was made way too complicated and had some really bad advice. Recommending specific regional beers??? Or saying don't bring light beer to a BBQ??? All of the macro hate???
I wouldn't know. I tried some pretty expensive beers and I don't like any of them. They are all too bitter for me. I do love the taste of Bud Light, so I wouldn't even know if I like Blue Moon. It's my brother-in-law's favorite beer, and when he comes over, I buy it at $14 a six pack, so to me that's pretty fancy.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Carter3 wrote:
ImUrHuckleberry wrote:Don't shy away from canned microbrews.

Brewers realized a while ago that canning is superior to bottling for preserving beer quality, and consumers are finally coming around to the idea that canned no longer means mass produced and/or low quality.
^^This. Cans have been perfected and are now superior to bottles. Green or clear bottles are not good for beer and can't skunk a great beer like Heineken which turns people off.
Heineken is pre-skunked at the bottling plant :twisted: Never understood why people drink that swill, at has some odd really off taste to it I cant place. Kind of like Rolling Rock.

OP, bring some Belgian Trippels. One sixer will be enough to get the whole party lit :)
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

not sure why everyone is bashing light beer.. I'd be upset if I showed up to a BBQ and there were no light options
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

stemikger wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:

I wouldn't know. I tried some pretty expensive beers and I don't like any of them. They are all too bitter for me. I do love the taste of Bud Light, so I wouldn't even know if I like Blue Moon. It's my brother-in-law's favorite beer, and when he comes over, I buy it at $14 a six pack, so to me that's pretty fancy.
Not all expensive beer is bitter.
Many microbrews are because bitter styles like IPA and ESB are a real fad right now and the micros all compete to see who can stuff the most hops into a bottle.

There are more styles of beer in the world than you can count. Go onto Beer Advocate and start reading through them all.... The options are not limited only to watered down domestics and overly hopped microbrew IPAs. Like I noted above I like strong full bodied beers that have a lot of flavor but are light on the hops. I go for German styles like Hefeweisens and Dunkels, Belgian strong ales and wheat's, English Brown Ales, etc. Stouts would fall into this group also but that's one style I personally dont care for. None of these are bitter but they are very strong and powerful flavor's compared to light American Lagers (Bud/Coors).

Really all of this comes down to personal taste. I may not like what many others in this thread do, but that doesn't make me "right" nor make them "wrong". Nothing wrong with being a Beer snob IMHO if you are because you like the flavor. Same goes for the domestic diehards - if you actually like the flavor great, if you are trying to make a statement and "stick it to the man" I dont want to hear it.

OP, it all comes down to the original question - you should ask the host what the crowd likes. If its a domestic beer crowd grab a 30pack of bud. If its a Microbrew crowd get a 12 pack of some trendy micro (Sam Adams/Sierra Nevada/etc are too big now to really be micro). If they are a bunch of European beer snobs like me look at Imports (real imports, not import brands that are brewed in Milwaukee like Becks). Etc....
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

jharkin wrote: OP, it all comes down to the original question - you should ask the host what the crowd likes.
I think the barbecue is over by now... :sharebeer
CABob

Post by CABob »

Loik098 wrote:I think the barbecue is over by now... :sharebeer
And they probably ran out of beer if all they had was the 6 (or 12) that the OP brought. :greedy :annoyed
But I really want a report back from the OP.
Bob