Tips on Uber

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ralph124cf

Tips on Uber

Post by ralph124cf »

Do people usually tip on Uber? How much? How, cash or on the app?

Ralph
AlohaJoe

Re: Tips on Uber

Post by AlohaJoe »

ralph124cf wrote:Do people usually tip on Uber? How much? How, cash or on the app?
No, I never tip.

The cost of running a business should be built into the sticker price.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

Funny you should ask this. I used Uber during a trip last month, it was my first time. I did not tip the guy then I later saw something online about tipping over. I was concerned regarding my actions. Therefore I went around asking...polling people who wore more Uber aware than I. the general consensus was do not tip. Uber started off their principles based off of no tipping then loosened it due to complaints of the drivers but the majority of people do not tip and it is not expected. It is intended to be a seamless cashless process you should be able to use the service but only using your app. When they change things to the point that they want tipping included they will update the app to include tipping just like Lyft.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

They say 5 for 5... meaning $5 for a 5 star review. Not sure that's true but I have heard that said.

Plus, I heard some states are going to require Uber to offer tip function like Lyft does already.

These people are starving with these jobs. Give them a few bucks.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Nope. In general I hate tipping and will not use Uber if they become another business with their employees with their hands out begging for tips.
shanghaista

Post by shanghaista »

You want the ultimate tip regarding Uber?

Uninstall.
denovo

Post by denovo »

AlohaJoe wrote:
ralph124cf wrote:Do people usually tip on Uber? How much? How, cash or on the app?
No, I never tip.

You live in the US and you don't tip at restaurants?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

LarryAllen wrote:They say 5 for 5... meaning $5 for a 5 star review. Not sure that's true but I have heard that said.

Plus, I heard some states are going to require Uber to offer tip function like Lyft does already.

From what I've heard, rating someone less than five is the equivalent of calling their boss and saying they should be fired.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonov ... .mu0pAZpeo
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

Ralph

No need to tip with Uber, there is no platform for it. I use both Uber and Lyft and I do tip with Lyft because it allows. It is supposed to be a seamless--cashless experience and that is exactly what it is for me.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I don't tip on Uber. It's discouraged and there's no way to do it in the app. It was banned previously but that's no longer the case.

My one exception is if Uber charged me a ridiculously low amount for the ride. My understanding is that Uber pays the driver a percentage of what is charged (meaning if Uber is undercutting competitor fares in a city, the driver loses out) and I don't think this is fair to the drivers.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

denovo wrote:
AlohaJoe wrote:
No, I never tip.

You live in the US and you don't tip at restaurants?
No, I don't live in the US. Uber exists in many countries.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Nate79 wrote:Nope. In general I hate tipping and will not use Uber if they become another business with their employees with their hands out begging for tips.
Uber drivers are not employees. They are independent contractors responsible for their own expenses. Those include fuel, wear-and-tear and shouldering the cost of a 20 minute drive to pick you up for a $3 ride because the app doesn't tell them the value of a job before they arrive at your location.

Tipping can certainly be appropriate in some instances.
dowse

Post by dowse »

My most recent Uber was in Tampa. During the ride, I noticed a card hanging from the back of the driver's seat encouraging a tip for great service. I hadn't seen that before in an Uber. I hate tipping, and it kind of irked me, but I threw the guy a couple of bucks anyway because he helped with some luggage. I probably shouldn't have, because the guy diverted from the gps route due to detours, then got lost thinking he knew better detours. I ended up giving him four stars, which I knew at Uber was tantamount to punishment. He was pleasant enough, but no way I was giving five stars to a driver who got lost.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I have taken 155 rides and have a passenger rating of 4.76. My average trip costs around $10-11.

What would my rating be over the next 150 rides if I tipped $2-$3, 4.95 or so? I would boost my rating to around 4.85 and spend $300-$450. I'll keep the money.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

I have used Uber a fair amount and don't tip.

On a recent tip to Vegas, I used the local taxi instead of Uber (there was a convenient line right outside my hotel). The credit card reader offered tip options of 20, 30, or 40%. After tipping *only* 10% in cash, I got a dirty look, no help with my bags, and no response to my "have a nice day."

Next time, I will use Uber.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I've only used uber several times but have never tipped. My understanding is that tipping is not part of the service.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

I generally use Lyft, because I actually like the tipping option -- I think the service is, generally speaking, better because drivers are incentivized by the potential tip (and are also happier because Lyft is on average more profitable for them). That's not to say I always tip, but I usually do, and regardless the incentives are always there.

I also use Uber, and I do tip from time to time, but generally less often, usually out of gratitude for a smooth long haul ride (to/from an airport, etc.), or because the ride was very short.

I'm in the camp that thinks Uber being forced to add a tipping option will be a positive development, for riders and drivers. When the NYC TLC rule is in place, I think it will spread.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

Yes, you can tip, but it's through the application!

Go into the app - (I forget where it is) - but there is an area in the app that allows you to build in the tip amount in terms of a % of total. For example: I have mine set at 15%. It's great, because then you get to tip plus they build it in to your estimated trip cost already.

While it is true that tipping is generally not accepted via cash, it is absolutely not true in the case that tips aren't accepted at all, as noted above.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I tip Uber if I happen to have cash with me - usually I do not so I don't. I don't like having to "pre-determine" a percentage which is what the App seems to want (if the driver is horrible I don't want to tip). They need to set it up like Lyft.
With Lyft I ALWAYS tip because it is very easy to add after the ride. This is a big Lyft advantage.
I've shifted such that I always try Lyft first now - if I am in a city and Lyft is not available or will take to long - I will fall back to Uber.
Why else do I do Lyft before Uber:
- The Lyft app works better overall - I can search for hotels and such and usually find them. I've had several cases where Uber search didn't find it - I had to go to another app - look up the address - come back to the Uber App and paste in the address.
- I have found Lyft timing estimates are more accurate. With Uber it sometimes tells me 4 minutes - then stays stuck on 4 minutes for 10 minutes. An Uber driver told me when this happens it might be because drivers can accept another rider before they have finished with their prior ride (what??)
- I have had 2 occasions where Uber drivers canceled with me en-route. There is nothing worse than arriving at an airport at Midnight and having it send you the person/plate that will be picking you up - watching the timer on the App click down from 10 minutes to 2 minutes - then see the App say "Searching for an Uber" starting the entire process over again.
- Then their is the negative press on Uber misogynistic practices - I don't know how much of this is true - but add this to the items above and why bother with Uber.
Switch to Lyft - you'll be happy you did.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Ketawa wrote:I have taken 155 rides and have a passenger rating of 4.76. My average trip costs around $10-11.

What would my rating be over the next 150 rides if I tipped $2-$3, 4.95 or so? I would boost my rating to around 4.85 and spend $300-$450. I'll keep the money.
I almost NEVER tip Uber drivers and my passenger rating is 4.96.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Nope. There is no option for tipping and I never carry cash.
Last edited by BW1985 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

DaftInvestor wrote:
Ketawa wrote:I have taken 155 rides and have a passenger rating of 4.76. My average trip costs around $10-11.

How do you see your passenger rating? And why does it matter?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

BW1985 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

I just went here to find out my rating (average 5.0 on a total of about half a dozen trips):

https://help.uber.com/h/e9302f73-8625-4 ... e7ab25af7d

Why does it matter? I guess presumably, drivers could choose not to pick you up if you have a low rating (?)
squirm

Post by squirm »

Just tip, don't be a tightwad, these people barely make enough to justify what their doing. Saying the app doesn't allow it, is just a copout, just hand them a five, at least their trying to make ends meet by working.
People remind me of some relatives, they have boat loads of money but like to pretend they can barely stay afloat, so they cheat the little guy like waiters and uber drivers who really can't stay afloat.
squirm

Post by squirm »

BW1985 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

Drivers don't want to pick up obnoxious pax that will cause grief. It's one thing not to get a tip but it's another to be berated by a pax AND not get a tip. So the rating scale helps with that.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

rantk81 wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

I just went here to find out my rating (average 5.0 on a total of about half a dozen trips):

Why does it matter? I guess presumably, drivers could choose not to pick you up if you have a low rating (?)
Thanks. 5.0 rating. Never tipped
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

squirm wrote:Just tip, don't be a tightwad, these people barely make enough to justify what their doing. Saying the app doesn't allow it, is just a copout, just hand them a five, at least their trying to make ends meet by working.
People remind me of some relatives, they have boat loads of money but like to pretend they can barely stay afloat, so they cheat the little guy like waiters and uber drivers who really can't stay afloat.
Uber drivers originally wouldn't accept tips. Then they discouraged it. Now they encourage it.
My real problem though - oftentimes I don't have a 5 on me by the end of the week (after maid and valet tips). If they want a tip - they should drive for Lyft. We are moving to a cashless society - Uber needs to get with the program.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

squirm wrote: ... these people barely make enough to justify what their doing. Saying the app doesn't allow it, is just a copout, just hand them a five, at least their trying to make ends meet by working. ...
I'd say the same applies to me, but I've never been tipped in over 30 years.
Last edited by flyingbison on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeMak27

Post by MikeMak27 »

I ride uber regularly. I never tip. The tip is already included in the price.
Mak 3 fund portfolio: 50% US small cap value & US Small cap (IJS, IJR), 40% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPADX), 10% US REIT (VNQ)
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

DaftInvestor wrote:
squirm wrote:Just tip, don't be a tightwad, these people barely make enough to justify what their doing. Saying the app doesn't allow it, is just a copout, just hand them a five, at least their trying to make ends meet by working.
Uber drivers originally wouldn't accept tips. Then they discouraged it. Now they encourage it.
My real problem though - oftentimes I don't have a 5 on me by the end of the week (after maid and valet tips). If they want a tip - they should drive for Lyft. We are moving to a cashless society - Uber needs to get with the program.
I think one of the reason's people use Uber is to not have to deal with the tip. Both drivers and passengers know the price you're shown up front is the total cost.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

BW1985 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
I think one of the reason's people use Uber is to not have to deal with the tip. Both drivers and passengers know the price you're shown up front is the total cost.
Agreed - and based upon your 5.0 rating (congratulations - I don't know if/how it matters though to answer your earlier question :)) the drivers obviously aren't holding it against you.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I've only tipped 2X in an Uber with over 100+ rides. My rating is around 4.7.

Once when my friend (and probably me as well :D ) was obnoxiously intoxicated.
Once again when I asked if they could stop at a convenience store so I could run in and buy something on my way home.

Both times I gave an extra $5 bucks cash on rides that were probably about $10-$15.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I think you would be surprised how much they can make, I have two neighbors who do it to make some side money and these are well-paid professionals (one is a lawyer, other is a marketing manager in tech). They have told me that they almost never get tips and they don't expect them. I've never used Uber, but like a few others, am completely mystified by the tipping custom in the U.S. I don't tip, but I also never (literally) eat out or use other services where tipping is common.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't tip them for a normal trip. If I have several bags going to the airport and they help with them, I tip them.

Also, a lot of the trips I take (like with UberPool) are very cheap. What do you tip on a $3 ride?
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I usually tip a few bucks if I have it. Maybe $5 if it's late and I've had a few drinks. These are normally $15-$20 rides. They're providing a valuable service, I'm happy to give them a few extra bucks if I have it.

I generally don't tip during surge pricing. I figure the driver is already getting additional compensation.

Having said that, I just installed the Lyft app. I'll give that a whirl and see how it works. I'd prefer to tip, and I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of carrying cash in the correct denominations.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

coalcracker wrote:I have used Uber a fair amount and don't tip.

On a recent tip to Vegas, I used the local taxi instead of Uber (there was a convenient line right outside my hotel). The credit card reader offered tip options of 20, 30, or 40%. After tipping *only* 10% in cash, I got a dirty look, no help with my bags, and no response to my "have a nice day."

+1
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

A big part of the Uber concept was that it was all inclusive from an app and didn't require cash.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

coalcracker wrote:I have used Uber a fair amount and don't tip.

taxis in Vegas are essentially a cartel of high prices and horrible service
bowest

Post by bowest »

LarryAllen wrote:They say 5 for 5... meaning $5 for a 5 star review. Not sure that's true but I have heard that said.

Actually '5 for 5' is you rate the driver five stars in exchange for them rating you at five stars.

If it is a short trip with small fare (say in $5-$10 range) I'll throw something on top but otherwise do not tip for Uber.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

To me the big draw of Uber is that the payment is seamless and I can just get out of the car and go when the ride is over. If I have to dig out my wallet and hope I have cash then I might as well take a taxi.
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

I don't tip on Uber. I don't consider it a service like going to a restaurant where the tip incentivizes better service. I can get my own bags and I don't really want to talk with the driver. I consider the car being relatively clean and the driver not getting into an accident as fundamental elements of the service.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

I normally use Uber twice per month during business trips. I really like Uber's cashless payment system. Also, I don't tip on Uber.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
mayday23

Post by mayday23 »

i always tip. If it's a $5-$10 ride, then i'll normally do $3. If it's greater than $10, then i'll go around 20%.

my thought process is that it's very cheap vs a taxi, these guys aren't making a lot of $ and atleast they are in the game. I'll gladly tip on that.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

8foot7 wrote:taxis in Vegas are essentially a cartel of high prices and horrible service
Taxis in Miami are essentially a cartel of high prices and horrible service.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I also don't tip on Uber. Usually, when an Uber ride is needed, it is unexpected and I rarely have small change. Usually only carry a couple of $20's.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I drove for Uber for a little while and it was rare that someone tipped. While it was appreciated it was not expected - in fact it was a surprise when someone did tip.

If someone is cool and not a total douchebag I will throw a couple bucks their way... if I have cash, but I rarely do. That's kinda the point of Uber.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I tried Uber for the first time when I was in Las Vegas for a work conference. I had a great time chatting with each of my three drivers so I gave them cash tips each time as my little way of paying it forward. All 3 drivers suggested I use Lyft next time (and I will), which makes me wonder about the long term success of Uber.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rantk81 wrote:
BW1985 wrote:How do you see your passenger rating? And why does it matter?

Thank you for this link. I went to this site and found my rating. Uber does not tell you your rating for each trip, only for the last 500 (I think) trips, an average. Same for the drivers, it says the driver doesn't know how you ranked him, only his last 500 trips ranking. I wonder if this is really true :?:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

It looks like the Uber tipping policy has recently changed.
If you google "tipping uber drivers" you'll find some new information.

First, the Uber website itself says the Uber app does not include a tip, that tipping is voluntary in cash, that "If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept."

https://help.uber.com/h/f7385bf5-1748-4 ... 9b62facc45
Can I tip my driver with the app?
The Uber app does not include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.

In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required.

As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.

Where available as a vehicle option, uberTAXI is an exception. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.
Uber may have recently changed their website in response to recent lawsuits:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/trav ... .html?_r=0 - "To Tip or Not To Tip Your Uber Driver?" 5/18/2016
There’s no need to tip.

Uber has been saying it for years. And the car-hailing app was embraced, in part, because of it. It’s all-inclusive and cashless; one fare and one email receipt, automatically charged to your credit card after rolling up to your destination. There’s no riffling through your wallet for small bills, no idling at the curb to deal with a credit card.

But in recent weeks Uber has begun allowing drivers in two states — California and Massachusetts — to post signs in their cars that say tips are appreciated. Is this just the beginning of Uber tipping? And what does it mean for travelers?

Two class-action lawsuits have led to policy changes throughout California and Massachusetts, where lawyers argued that Uber drivers should be classified as employees, not independent contractors, so that they can enjoy certain protections. A settlement was reached last month that allows Uber to continue categorizing drivers as independent contractors. However, in turn, Uber is making concessions, including clarifying its messaging regarding tipping. Shannon Liss-Riordan, the class action employment lawyer who represented the drivers in California and Massachusetts, said in a statement that Uber would make clear to riders that tips are not included in its fares and that “drivers will be permitted to put small signs in their cars stating that ‘tips are not included, they are not required, but they would be appreciated.’ ”

Uber drivers have said that the company prevented them from accepting tips and led riders to believe — through statements on its website like, “Please thank your driver, but the tip is already included” and “there is no need to tip” — that tips are included in the price of a ride “when in fact tips are not included.”

So where does this leave you, dear rider?
Aoother article on this new Uber tipping policy:

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news ... er-driver/ - "Should You Tip Your Uber Driver" - Uber’s Updated Tipping Policy (as of May 2016)
Uber’s official party line on tipping used to be that it was not necessary, a policy reinforced by the fact that tipping was not possible through the app (which is still true). Tips, claimed Uber, were included in the fare, an appealing policy for those looking for a simple transaction unencumbered by elusive tipping conventions, as well as those who rarely carry cash. In fact, drivers were instructed to turn down tips the first time a customer offered, and drivers were only supposed to accept a tip if the customer then insisted. Harry Campbell, The Rideshare Guy and frequent contributor for Quoted about the Uber driver experience, told us Uber’s policy meant drivers received tips from about one out of every 100 customers. Though Uber claimed that tips weren’t necessary because their drivers earned about $6 more per hour than traditional taxi drivers, Uber drivers argued that, unlike taxi drivers, they were responsible for gas, car maintenance, and received no employer-sponsored benefits, meaning their actual salary often ended up being much less per hour than taxi drivers.

On April 21, 2016, the courts agreed with Uber drivers, awarding a settlement of $100 million dollars to drivers and calling for an official policy change at Uber. In addition to other incremental benefits to drivers, which Newsweek details, Uber will now notify riders that tips are not included in their fare, and drivers are free to hang signs in their cars stating as much. Further, drivers can no longer be deactivated at will or for not accepting a minimum percentage of rides, writes Newsweek.
And two days ago https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/nyre ... g-app.html - New York City moves to require Uber to provide a tipping option in its app.

I guess we should rethink whether we should add a cash tip on Uber :?:
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I have taken Uber since the app became available in Los Angeles. I have taken Uber in many cities throughout the world and I rarely have tipped. All told, I've probably taken Uber a few hundred times. The no tipping policy in my mind probably dates back to when the company was rolled out.

However, I've started taking Lyft within the past year because of the tipping issue. I like tipping for a good ride and the Lyft app allows it to be done seamlessly. The Uber app does not and I hate fiddling for cash in my wallet and more times than not, I'm not going to have 1s or 5s. Additionally, at least half of my rides are business related and I need a receipt; Lyft will give you a receipt including the gratuity while Uber will not.

So not being able to tip easily has actually made me consider Lyft far more than previously. Since my ride-hailing bills over the course of any given year are a few thousand dollars, the decision to tip or not is not insignificant. But if I'm going to tip, I'm going to need a receipt.