Droopy sun-visor on honda civic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Droopy sun-visor on honda civic

Post by BashDash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 am

Hi BH's,

Anyone have a quick hack for fixing a driver's side sun-visor that won't stay up? I tried a form of Velcro last night on the ceiling of the car to attach to the visor but it did not last overnight. Thanks in advance!

BHUser27

Re: Droopy sun-visor on honda civic

Post by BHUser27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 am

Take a large heavy-duty binder clip and clamp it on the visor so it squeezes the rod that the visor swivels on. This will give it extra grip so it doesn't flop down. Might need to use two clips right next to each other.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 am

Gently used sun visors for Honda Civics are a dime a dozen at your local junkyard. I replaced mine probably eight or ten years ago that suffered the same problem. They also sell the new on eBay for as little as $30 depending on model year. Takes a screwdriver and a couple minutes to swap out.

bberris

Post by bberris » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am

push a small wrapit tie in between the rod and the fabric covering it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpFRPhLdQb8

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm

I fixed mine with these aluminum fasteners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl0dUhkYD8

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you Bogleheads! I have the same problem (different car) and am going to try the Youtube video suggestions! My velcro solution only works in warm weather but doesn't stick well in the cold weather.

Thanks OP for posting this question.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Had trouble with the zip tie hack from the first video. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Going to try the clips tomorrow. The second video requires a new visor. Maybe I. An head to the junk yard this weekend. I've never been before.

verbose

Post by verbose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Certain Honda Civics had sun visors recalled. Check to see if you can get a free fix from your local Honda dealer.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am

BashDash wrote:The second video requires a new visor. Maybe I. An head to the junk yard this weekend. I've never been before.

Back in the day, junkyards used to let you remove parts from cars yourself or even "buy" and couple hours worth of time to remove as many parts as you want for a set price. However due to lawsuits, they rarely do either anymore. I find it best to call them a couple days ahead of time and say I need a driver's side sun visor in the color gray for my specific model of Civic and get quoted a price. Then you just show up a couple days later and pick the thing up.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

My Honda civic sun visor has been replaced for free at the dealer 2 or 3 times for free due to a recall. And it's still broken again. I get tired of taking that car to the dealership.