Are people aware that Verizon email is being terminated?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chuckb84

Are people aware that Verizon email is being terminated?

Post by chuckb84 »

I wasn't until this morning, and [(removed) --admin LadyGeek], that email address is embedded in a lot of my life! This is a service cut, pure and simple, and they're doing it....because they can.

Anyway, now you know.

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residen ... ations.htm
dm200

Re: Are people aware that Verizon email is being terminated?

Post by dm200 »

I have always disliked and avoided email linked to my internet service. When you change providers, you have to change email.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I thought that email addresses would not change, only that there's a couple of steps people have to take to keep the email address intact, although AOL is taking over the "custodianship" of Verizon email.

In a way, it could be a plus for FIOS Internet/phone/cable customers who could move to other vendors and not lose their Verizon email address.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

dm200 wrote:I have always disliked and avoided email linked to my internet service. When you change providers, you have to change email.
Exactly why I use a home-grown email address from my own personally-held domain name. Even if I change hosting companies, the email address will go with me.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

I am without e-mail now. I tried the "keep Verizon e-mail address" option and it supposedly moved me to AOL but the password I tried to create does not work. Trying to "reset password" does not work,it gives a response that I have been texted but my phone (land line) (Verizon of course) does not ring. A friend with a smart cell phone might try to help me next week (use hers to try to get text) Verizon is very hard to contact. Sorry service.
Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 »

There are two options as I understand it. One is noted in previous postings, keeping 'Verizon' address, but service by AOL. The other option is to change email provider.

We had decided to change to Gmail soon anyway, so that's what we did. Yes, you have to change over all your contacts, personal and business related, without support from Verizon, but we've done this. Are using the last few weeks of Verizon service to check we haven't missed someone we want to keep.

Looking forward to not getting all those spam / scam emails now :happy . We're being careful who we release new Gmail address to.
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

chuckb84 wrote:I wasn't until this morning, and damn it, that email address is embedded in a lot of my life! This is a service cut, pure and simple, and they're doing it....because they can.

Anyway, now you know.

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residen ... ations.htm
The real suprise is that anyone cares...It was bound to happen sooner or later. Switch to gmail. Having an internet company based email is a giveaway that you are old and not technologically savvy.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We had our Verizon email transitioned to AOL (keeping our email as xxxxx@verizon.net) when Verizon sold their landline operations in my state to Frontier.

I can honestly say the change was seamless, despite my concern. Some of our friends reported at first their contact list didn't show, but the next day everything was fine.

Hopefully those of you who choose to keep your email address will have the same success.

Still, an email address not associated with an internet provider does insulate you sometimes from these type changes. I say sometimes because other email companies have also bit the dust along the way.

I have my own domain, more expensive though, and probably an item we will sooner or later cut out.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

I had no idea people actually used Verizon email
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote:We had our Verizon email transitioned to AOL (keeping our email as xxxxx@verizon.net) when Verizon sold their landline operations in my state to Frontier.
I can honestly say the change was seamless, despite my concern. Some of our friends reported at first their contact list didn't show, but the next day everything was fine.
Hopefully those of you who choose to keep your email address will have the same success.
Still, an email address not associated with an internet provider does insulate you sometimes from these type changes. I say sometimes because other email companies have also bit the dust along the way.
I have my own domain, more expensive though, and probably an item we will sooner or later cut out.
Broken Man 1999
Yes, it can happen. However, I still have an aol email - as well as hotmail and gmail.
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

I didn't realize it still existed.

I can't see how maintaining it would be a good use of their resources when people can get unlimited email addresses for free from Google.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Loik098 wrote:I had no idea people actually used Verizon email
I gave that address when registering product warranties and other cases where I wasn't sure that I wouldn't get marketed to. My gmail account was for people I trusted. I seldom check my Verizon email account, but will probably move it to AOL.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Yes, I was notified (like everybody else) a month ago.

I kept my Verizon prefix address with the exception of running my mail through Outlook (@outlook suffix). Took a couple of hours to move everything over, including bill and CC contacts earlier this month.

No big thing (at least in my world)...

- Ron
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

avalpert wrote:I didn't realize it still existed.

I can't see how maintaining it would be a good use of their resources when people can get unlimited email addresses for free from Google.
I thought they had moved it to Yahoo. I have a sibling who gets her Verizon email by logging into Yahoo.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

barnaclebob wrote:Having an internet company based email is a giveaway that you are old and not technologically savvy.
Or it provides camouflage to the fact that you are old and technologically savvy. Plus it creeps me out that Google is analyzing every word of my emails to target me with ads and sell my info to other companies.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Loik098 wrote:I had no idea people actually used Verizon email
I gave that address when registering product warranties and other cases where I wasn't sure that I wouldn't get marketed to. My gmail account was for people I trusted. I seldom check my Verizon email account, but will probably move it to AOL.
Good call. I have created multiple gmail accounts for the same reason. Google makes it easy because all three are listed in one place when I first sign in; I just pick which one I want to use.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

jebmke wrote:
avalpert wrote:I didn't realize it still existed.

I thought they had moved it to Yahoo. I have a sibling who gets her Verizon email by logging into Yahoo.
You can have other mail systems feed Yahoo Mail. Unless your sibling changed her Verizon account, it will no longer be routed to Yahoo.

- Ron
delamer

Post by delamer »

rkhusky wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:Having an internet company based email is a giveaway that you are old and not technologically savvy.
Or it provides camouflage to the fact that you are old and technologically savvy. Plus it creeps me out that Google is analyzing every word of my emails to target me with ads and sell my info to other companies.
Yeah, not a fan of gmail. Too big brotherish.

I had no problem transferring my two Verizon netmail accounts to AOL. So far, it seems to have better spam filters.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
FraggleRock

Verizon email is now AOL

Post by FraggleRock »

12 hours of tech support provided by me (the son) to the 95 year old father.
Yes, I am aware.
What a mess.
Verizon tech support is useless. Oh, you knew that.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (email).

On the AOL side: Verizon Move to AOL Mail - FAQs

And: Verizon Move to AOL Mail: Setting up your new AOL account in a third party email program or mobile device (IMAP)

After you get setup in AOL, go to the marketing preferences page and turn everything OFF. By default, everything is ON. (Heard about this, but haven't done it myself.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dowse

Post by dowse »

I went through this a couple of weeks ago when I was first notified by Verizon. So far, I have found the switch to be seamless. All of my folders showed up in AOL almost immediately. I had been thinking about switching over to gmail for some time, as I was becoming more and more uncomfortable having my email account tied to my ISP. I was assured by a help desk agent that the Verizon address would remain even if I were to drop Verizon service at some point. Therefore, I have decided to keep it for the time being.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

Finally got the e-mail to work today (April 4) For some reason "reset my password" on Aol Mail site offered to call my phone # (before it only offered to text) and I was able to create another password using a number spoken by a robot voice-although I still couldn't get the e-mails to display on the Web portal,when I entered their server info and the new password into my e-mail program settings and activated "send and receive" over 100 e-mails were downloaded,most of which I will delete.
No letters in the mail yet from Vanguard or the Credit Union,if you don't acknowledge getting/reading their e-mails from time to time you might get a notice in the mail from them
newstreetnj

Post by newstreetnj »

No, I wasn't aware that Verizon was ending it's email service.
If I wanted to transition to gmail, what steps would I need to take? Would my contacts transfer?

Thanks for your help Bob
delamer

Post by delamer »

newstreetnj wrote:No, I wasn't aware that Verizon was ending it's email service.
If I wanted to transition to gmail, what steps would I need to take? Would my contacts transfer?

Thanks for your help Bob

You can transition to AOL and keep the same e-mail address, and your contacts (plus Inbox, Sent Mail, etc. contents) will transfer. I was able to do so, with two verizon.net addresses, without any trouble.

I don't know what, if anything, you could transfer to gmail.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

It looks to me like you need to enter the Aol Mail web page portal to delete the old e-mail even if you have downloaded it to your own e-mail program,it still seems to remain there as "trash"
The Verizon e-mail seemed to get removed automatically from its web portal when you ran your e-mail program.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Still miss my Compuserve and Prodigy e-mail addresses :P

A suggestion I didn't see mentioned is iCloud e-mail. It doesn't do the "big brother" stuff that Google does. I've had great experience so far.
mrc

Post by mrc »

LadyGeek wrote: ... After you get setup in AOL, go to the marketing preferences page and turn everything OFF. By default, everything is ON. (Heard about this, but haven't done it myself.)
I strongly urge folks to do this. There are settings for AOL Desktop Software Popups, Webmail Popups, Direction Mail (snail), Telephone, and nearly 100 affiliates via email. I'm keeping my @verizon.net address just as an email junk drawer. If the inbox fills up with AOL stuff, I'll just nuke it completely.

Talk about feeling old and out of touch? After all these years, I now (at least technically) have an AOL mail account. :?
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I have not received an email telling me to convert to AOL. I got concerned that I may have my account inactivated/deleted.
So I calledVwerizpn and was transferred a couple of times and finally was told that I was not yet scheduled to convert and not to worry.
I said ok. Crossing my fingers.
Dan999
Dan999
delamer

Post by delamer »

Dan999 wrote:I have not received an email telling me to convert to AOL. I got concerned that I may have my account inactivated/deleted.
So I calledVwerizpn and was transferred a couple of times and finally was told that I was not yet scheduled to convert and not to worry.
I said ok. Crossing my fingers.
Dan999

I know they are moving accounts in stages, so I think you got good information.
Myopic squirrel

Verizon is closing their e-mail business

Post by Myopic squirrel »

For those of us with verizon.net email addresses, verizon is closing down. As I understand it, one can keep their "verizon.net" address, but it will be through AOL. As one "technologically challenged" I see the convenience in not having to contact everyone in my address book re: my new address (which I have yet to do). What I don't know - is there any disadvantage to NOT changing to another e-mail system - e.g. G-mail? Appreciate your comments/suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Loik098

Re: Verizon is closing their e-mail business

Post by Loik098 »

See recent thread on this same topic viewtopic.php?t=215272
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged Myopic squirrel's post (and Loik098's follow-up) into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mrc

Re: Verizon is closing their e-mail business

Post by mrc »

Myopic squirrel wrote:For those of us with verizon.net email addresses, verizon is closing down. As I understand it, one can keep their "verizon.net" address, but it will be through AOL. As one "technologically challenged" I see the convenience in not having to contact everyone in my address book re: my new address (which I have yet to do). What I don't know - is there any disadvantage to NOT changing to another e-mail system - e.g. G-mail? Appreciate your comments/suggestions. Thank you in advance!
My verizon.net account, tied to my ISP (I have had several over the years) is a junk account with one important exception: It's a primary account I give to my email, domain name, and DNS providers to contact me if something is about to expire. I have a personal account with my own domain name that I use for business and close friends. I have several secondary accounts associated with my domain that I used for contacts I don't yet trust, and for my family members. I really don't want my primary address to get clogged up with (any more) spam. I have a gmail account that's also mostly just to have. It's handy for Google voice.

That said, if you just want a simple single email address, you should feel OK just switching your verizon account over to AOL. The instructions are easy to find. I got really tired if my erols.com, then comcast.net, and now verizon.net email address going sour when my ISP changed, and that why I obtained my own domain. I'm not sad about telling people I have a new address, but the 100s of accounts I have would make changing email a real PITA.

If you want to switch, and have access to a good spam filter, gmail or another free email account should also work for most people and should remain fairly stable over time. But who knows?
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
SamB

Post by SamB »

Maybe I missed it, but there is a simple option involving keeping your verizon email address and using a different server. Go to options, then mail settings in the AOL email interface and select forward all email to your favored address. I did this for Gmail and it worked fine, without any delay. You can do the same thing from the Gmail side by specifying that Gmail download the mail coming to the Verizon account. There may be some delay if you go this route and you would have to also specify deleting the email off the AOL server after it is downloaded.

I use Outlook so I have not decided whether I may use the Gmail account only or stick with AOL. It really bothers me that now I have to suffer the ads on the AOL interface. There are no ads on the Gmail interface, but you have to downgrade the Google security setting in order to make a connection with Outlook.

My guess is that Verizon tossed their email server over the side because they acquired AOL for $4B in 2014. It makes sense that they would dump the email service to AOL. However, paying Verizon for their service and then having to pay AOL again not to suffer the ads is a major annoyance.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

SamB wrote:I use Outlook so I have not decided whether I may use the Gmail account only or stick with AOL. It really bothers me that now I have to suffer the ads on the AOL interface. There are no ads on the Gmail interface, but you have to downgrade the Google security setting in order to make a connection with Outlook.
Are you sure about that? I thought you could just use a Google App Password generated for you (by Google) to use Outlook with Gmail. I'm not a maven about this, but I think it's the case.
SamB

Post by SamB »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
SamB wrote:I use Outlook so I have not decided whether I may use the Gmail account only or stick with AOL. It really bothers me that now I have to suffer the ads on the AOL interface. There are no ads on the Gmail interface, but you have to downgrade the Google security setting in order to make a connection with Outlook.
Are you sure about that? I thought you could just use a Google App Password generated for you (by Google) to use Outlook with Gmail. I'm not a maven about this, but I think it's the case.
In order to use Outlook 2013 I had to go into account settings, and respond to this,

Allow less secure apps: OFF
Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which could leave your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps (which we recommend) or choose to use them despite the risks.

The switch is "OFF" in the quote because I went back to using AOL.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

SamB wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
In order to use Outlook 2013 I had to go into account settings, and respond to this,

Allow less secure apps: OFF
Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which could leave your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps (which we recommend) or choose to use them despite the risks.

The switch is "OFF" in the quote because I went back to using AOL.
I'm using Outlook 2007, which might account for the difference.
KATNYC

Post by KATNYC »

I wasn't aware until I saw this thread. I don't use Verizon.com often, but I would prefer to keep it. I really need to stop deleting their emails without reading them. I use gmail mostly.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Got my notice from VZ yesterday about converting to AOL. Took less than 10 minutes and never had to touch my third-party email program settings. Logged into my email from the AOL site and everything is there. A lot less painful than I imagined.
AAA

Post by AAA »

prudent wrote:Got my notice from VZ yesterday about converting to AOL. Took less than 10 minutes and never had to touch my third-party email program settings. Logged into my email from the AOL site and everything is there. A lot less painful than I imagined.
By third-party email program settings, do you mean programs like Apple Mail. That is what I use and I thought the settings there would have to be changed, no?
prudent

Post by prudent »

I use Thunderbird. I imagine Apple Mail would require the same kind of configuration to work so you might find it works just fine after you complete the information on the AOL site to get it set up.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I also use Thunderbird. The only thing that changed was the password, as you need to change it for AOL.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I was able to use the same password I had before.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I chose a different password, just to keep the connections/logins straight. I didn't have to though.

I use Postbox and Apple Mail on a Mac. All I had to do was change the IMAP and SMTP server names (and ports I think). One other slight difference is the user name isn't just the userid, it is the entire email address:

Old User Name: bob
Incoming Server: pop.verizion.net

New User Name: bob@verizon.net
Incoming Server: imap.aol.com

A rather small price to pay, so far anyway, to keep my verizion.net address alive.
rjsob58

Post by rjsob58 »

I moved mine using the AOL alternative keeping my vz.net email address. I use the vz email for purchases, subscriptions and other things that are not related to communications with real people or my financial accounts. The move was easy and seamless.

The added benefit is significantly less spam. With VZ I used to get at least several dozen spam emails each and every day. That is in addition to the junk automatically caught in VZ's spam filters. Since the move to AOL, that same email account now only gets a 2-5 spam emails that make it through to my inbox.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Is there a possibility of missing an incoming email while the transfer process to AOL is taking place? If so, how long might the blackout period be?
AAA

Post by AAA »

mrc wrote:I use Postbox and Apple Mail on a Mac. All I had to do was change the IMAP and SMTP server names (and ports I think). One other slight difference is the user name isn't just the userid, it is the entire email address:

Old User Name: bob
Incoming Server: pop.verizion.net

New User Name: bob@verizon.net
Incoming Server: imap.aol.com
I'm planning to use pop rather than imap. Step 4 of the instructions on AOL at https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... ation-pop3 imply that you should continue to use pop.verizon.net for the incoming mail server. ??
mrc

Post by mrc »

AAA wrote:I'm planning to use pop rather than imap. Step 4 of the instructions on AOL at https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... ation-pop3 imply that you should continue to use pop.verizon.net for the incoming mail server. ??
If you wish to remain with POP, yes:
IMPORTANT: You should use the steps in this article only if you've been using a third party email client with POP3 settings to receive and send your Verizon mail prior to migrating your account to AOL.​
I hate POP! For me, it's actually nice to have vz.net on IMAP now.
AAA

Post by AAA »

mrc wrote:
AAA wrote:II hate POP! For me, it's actually nice to have vz.net on IMAP now.
Thanks for confirming the incoming mail server. I don't know a lot about these things, but for me I'd rather my emails not remain on AOL's servers after I've read them. The advantage of IMAP seems to be that you can read your emails from several different devices. In my case, I only read email from my computer.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

LadyGeek wrote:I also use Thunderbird. The only thing that changed was the password, as you need to change it for AOL.
However, I have found that AOL's spam filtering is terrible; it's wrong about 1/3 of the time, in both directions. (I do make filtering a bit more difficult, because I don't use my verizon.net address; I have an alumni address from college and set it to forward to whatever my current ISP is.)

My notification that my Verizon bill was available online was marked as spam by AOL. And the Bogleheads notifications are always marked as spam, even though I have had a bunch of them and have corrected them online.

Meanwhile, I get the "Here is your gift card" scams, clickbait headlines leading to malicious links, and spam in strange languages, all delivered to my inbox folder, while Thunderbird recognizes them as spam.
Wiki David Grabiner