2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
BrandonBogle

Re: 2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by BrandonBogle »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:Well there went my plan. I made sure to try and be on the forums every day recently since I missed the window last year (it opened earlier than originally thought). I got the email on Sunday announcing it and was going to the post office today to mail my check. Guess I'll miss this year :(
If you signed up in time, all you need to do to secure your spot is mail in your check. Everyone who registered will get a spot as long as we get their checks in a timely manner. If not, we'll open up their spots to folks on the wait list.
Thanks! I hadn't filled out the paperwork yet as I didn't know until last night whether I would be alone or +1 this time around. I'll just have to have everything planned and ready to go the moment I see the email or forum post in 2018. At least I got to be a newbie in 2015! :)
DEZ1

Post by DEZ1 »

Please put me on the waiting list
DEZ1

Post by DEZ1 »

I have been on the forum almost everyday since feb trying to catch the opening post for the Bogelhead conference, I can't believe I missed it again this year...very frustrating. Would love to get an email next year of when registration opens up.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Please add me to the waiting list.
gladyshenrikson

Post by gladyshenrikson »

Dear Mel,

My husband and I would like to attend the conference if space opens. We've been trying for 3 years now to get on the conference registration list!
So hope there can be space! (:x )
Gladys Henrikson
gladys@verizon.net
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

I thought the announcement will be April 5th...

I like to go in 2018 since I missed this one.

But if there is space for 2017, please add me to the waitlist.

Thanks
Last edited by sil2017 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Sold out in less than 2 days. Is that some sort of record?
Bob
truman

Post by truman »

Please add me + 1 to the waitlist (2 spots). Thanks!
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

CABob wrote:Sold out in less than 2 days. Is that some sort of record?
27 hours actually, yes, a record...
Attempted new signature...
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Could you add me 2 the wait list?

Thanks
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Please add me to the waitlist, +1 if possible.

I also thought I saw a post saying the announcement would be made on 4/5. :(
Last edited by mind_boggled on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1year23

Post by 1year23 »

Can you please add me to the wait list?
Thank you
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

I am disappointed that the announcement was posted before April 5th. If a specific date is represented, that's the date it should be posted.
dingky

Post by dingky »

Fill-up was unexpectedly fast this year. TOM suggested adding me + 1 to this list might be helpful. Maybe, maybe not.
Thanks either way.
-- D
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Please add me to the wait list.
Regards,
Trapper
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

Please add me to the wait list.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Please add me to the wait list. Second year on the wait list. :(
Best regards, Merlin
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Wow....can you imagine a chance to meet Jack Bogle and the entire Boglehead staff.......and I thought Christmas was exciting!

Please add me to the waiting list.

Have a Happy Boglehead Conference!

Thank you!
Güero

Post by Güero »

Please add me to the wait list, as well.
crspelln

Post by crspelln »

I ask that you register me for the conference if there is a cancellation. It is April 5 and I was disappointed to find out that the conference is sold out. I have a Boglehead post from Mel Lindauer dated Jan. 16, 2017 that the conference announcement was scheduled for April 5. But this turned out not to be the case. I ask that you accept my registration since I complied with the April 5 announcement date.
Carl Spellman
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Please add me to the waiting list. I check website everyday but somehow missed all your announcements. Thanks.
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Here is the post that everyone is talking about saying the announcement would be made on April 5: viewtopic.php?t=204728#p3208381
Last edited by mind_boggled on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
seanmerron

Post by seanmerron »

Bah!! I was informed the announcement would be on April 5th! So disappointed... Put me on the waiting list please.
teegjo

Post by teegjo »

Please add me to the waitlist. Thanks.
LucyB

Post by LucyB »

Please add me +1 to the waitlist too. Thank you.
The above comments are merely an expression of personal opinion and should not be considered advice in any form—tax, legal, financial or otherwise.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Mel Lindauer wrote: ...me and my team members who work nine months a year to put the event on...
It is like planning a big wedding every year. My hat is off to all of you!
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

What site was the link to the registration? And was it posted right after midnight?

With so many people ahead of me on the wait list , I will wait for next year.

Which site will the link to the registration be next year if not here as it seems like this is the place to make the announcement?

New member to boglehead this year and made the mistake thinking the link would be here on April 5th right after midnight.
JaxFLbh

Post by JaxFLbh »

The announcement was supposed to be today was it not? I logged in just now to see its already sold out? What the heck! Please add two to the waiting list.
JosephineP

Post by JosephineP »

Please put me on the waiting list too. I made a note to check for the registration announcement today and am disappointed that it's sold out:-(

Josephine P
scottwood2

Post by scottwood2 »

Is any of this recorded or streamed on the internet? It sold out so fast and there seems to be many many more that would like to see this.

Thx
Lerxist

Post by Lerxist »

Mel, was traveling and missed announcement and registration window :( Would love to be added to waiting list.

Thank you
crispydoc

Post by crispydoc »

Please add my name to the waiting list - newbie interested in attending!
Thanks!
JDG2017

Post by JDG2017 »

Please add me to the wait list
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

JosephineP wrote:Please put me on the waiting list too. I made a note to check for the registration announcement today and am disappointed that it's sold out:-(

Josephine P
+1
wovenhearts

Post by wovenhearts »

I would also like to put two of us on the wait list. Too bad it wasn't posted on April 5th like it was announced. Would love to attend.

Thanks for all you do.
SeekingFI

Post by SeekingFI »

Waitlist me please :happy
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

Given the strong level of interest, would it be possible for a formal videotaping/editing of the presentations to be implemented this year? [Many thanks to Dr. Rich for his generous participation in the past--however, his lifesaving "day job" keeps him busy presumably.] Personally, I'd be happy to pay a small processing fee to stream the videos a few weeks after the event if that would help.

I realize that the opportunity to meet Mr. Bogle et. al. in person is priceless. But, for those of us who didn't mobilize in time to register, access to a high-quality videotape of the formal presentations, Q&As, etc. would be a useful "consolation prize".

Best Wishes to all for another successful Conference. Many thanks to the hardworking organizers.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

So it seems there is a lot of disappoint about this year's sign-up process because it was announced prior to April 5th (apparently it was previously said that sign-up would begin April 5th, but it actually happened earlier thereby catching many people by surprise.) I see hard feelings being expressed.

I respectfully ask somebody on the planning committee to come forward and explain what happened so everybody can understand and move on.

Thank you.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bob B wrote:So it seems there is a lot of disappoint about this year's sign-up process because it was announced prior to April 5th (apparently it was previously said that sign-up would begin April 5th, but it actually happened earlier thereby catching many people by surprise.) I see hard feelings being expressed.

I respectfully ask somebody on the planning committee to come forward and explain what happened so everybody can understand and move on.

Thank you.
Normally, we send an advance email announcement out to former attendees a few days before making the forum announcement to make sure the registration system's working OK and to spread out the registration work load. That's been the way we've done it every year in the past and it always worked out fine.

However, instead of a nice even registration like we've had in the past, this year the vets started registering at such a rapid pace that I had to make the forum post earlier than planned to allow others a chance to register. Otherwise, we risked being sold out to the vets if I had waited to post the forum announcement as planned on April 5th. By posting the announcement on the forum when we did, at least we got 70 newbies which is a nice number of first timers.

Two lessons learned:
1. email and forum post will go at the same time next year, and
2. Never again announce an exact date.

Best Regards,

Mel
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Two lessons learned:

Best Regards,

Mel
Respectfully, I think #1 doesn't need to happen (though your prerogative - this isn't a vote). #2 is a valuable lesson. Many seemed to take that date and put it on their calendar and not watch until then.
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Thank you for the explanation. Glad that a mix of new and veterans got tickets.

Regarding the lessons learned it seems the separate e-mail was the culprit not the pre-announcement so I don't see why the pre-announcement needs to go.
I found the actual pre-announcement was useful (granted it is kept) and would like to see that continue in the future. I think others would agree it's a stressful several weeks of constant browser refreshing (like a manic active stock trader) to catch the sale start when it drops. The upside of saved time/anxiety/attention for several hundred people seems worth one pre-announcement date and the pre-announcement was not what caused the actual logistical issue here. I would much rather have my go at getting a slot on one scheduled date and then moving on than having this incessant browser refreshing anxiety go on for weeks.
Perhaps a compromise would be a 1 week window announcement?
Last edited by mind_boggled on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Respectfully, I think #1 doesn't need to happen (though your prerogative - this isn't a vote). #2 is a valuable lesson. Many seemed to take that date and put it on their calendar and not watch until then.
The event sold out in 27 hours. That is not an unreasonable time to not continuously check a forum (or any form of social media). #2 was only an issue because of #1. The announcement time itself is very useful. Most bogleheads are well aware of the amount of anxiety relief that comes with not having to constantly monitor things like stocks all day (and psychological research shows this very clearly) but without an announcement I feel like we're all forced to act like manic day traders for over a couple months every year.
The net upside of time/attention/etc saved seems clear, what purpose other than anxiety does a month of this guessing game serve? I hope you'll consider keeping the pre-announcement date (or at least try it one year without the separate e-mail issue) because by itself it would not have been an issue and simply helps everyone out.
Last edited by mind_boggled on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Mel Lindauer wrote: ...However, instead of a nice even registration like we've had in the past, this year the vets started registering at such a rapid pace that I had to make the forum post earlier than planned to allow others a chance to register. Otherwise, we risked being sold out to the vets if I had waited to post the forum announcement as planned on April 5th.
Interesting.
I know Mel doesn't agree with me, but "eventually" the solution is to expand the size of the annual conference gradually.
This will be consistent with the Bogle Institute's mission to expand financial literacy.
We might want to look at the numbers over the past five years on website growth, not the number of registered users (many of which are dormant), but the number of daily posts or website hits.
I have a gut feeling the # of actives has grown a bit?

I go to a couple other conferences with lots more than 200 attendees, so of course you have concurrent sessions to choose from and you don't get to meet everyone. But they are still good gatherings...
Attempted new signature...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Two lessons learned:

Best Regards,

Mel
Thank you for the explanation, Mel. I have a few comments:
1. Some experienced attendees who have received the email are bringing with us new people. Thus the initial sign-up includes some newbies.
2. The next year will be even more challenging than this one, because based on the 2017 precedent, people will be signing up even faster.

Thank you to all organizers for your hard work,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim »

If the conference wasn't so late in the year, I'd go back to PA and combine the Philadelphia sessions with a visit to my mom. But I can't wait that long. I miss her and will be going back during the summertime.

Oh, well. Maybe next year.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

As someone who has previously attended and appreciates the advanced email, can I offer another suggestion that I think addresses the issues that occurred this year. For those that have previously attended and might want to come as a group, i.e. some pesky Canadians, this allows some co-ordination once the dates are actually known.

I'd therefore suggest:
  • Continue to announce on the forum the date when registration will open so newcomers know when the registration window opens.
  • Continue to send out the advanced email notice, but cap the registrations at some percentage of capacity, say 66% or 75% or ??, so that it cannot sell out in advance.
In somewhat true Bogleheads spirit, given the distances and costs involved, I'm more likely to attend when Canadian Thanksgiving and the BH Conference dates line-up, as I can combine an annual Canadian Thanksgiving trip to the family cottage with the BH Conference. When there is a week's separation between the two, costs matter and you can probably guess the rest.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
brightside

Post by brightside »

Hi Everyone,
I'm one of the newbies who surreptitiously saw the announcement. I actually just joined last Thursday, saw the post Sunday, registered, and sent my check Monday (I'm usually not that quick). Hoping the check arrives in the USPS's allotted "2-7 days" I've been checking my account all week to see if it's cleared.

I'm very excited (more so when I have the confirmation email), headquarters are actually 6 miles from where I grew up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I look forward lots of learning in my quest to Be a Better Boglehead.

Retirement for me is not far off, I hope....
b
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Bob B wrote:So it seems there is a lot of disappoint about this year's sign-up process because it was announced prior to April 5th (apparently it was previously said that sign-up would begin April 5th, but it actually happened earlier thereby catching many people by surprise.) I see hard feelings being expressed.

Thank you.
Normally, we send an advance email announcement out to former attendees a few days before making the forum announcement to make sure the registration system's working OK and to spread out the registration work load. That's been the way we've done it every year in the past and it always worked out fine.

However, instead of a nice even registration like we've had in the past, this year the vets started registering at such a rapid pace that I had to make the forum post earlier than planned to allow others a chance to register. Otherwise, we risked being sold out to the vets if I had waited to post the forum announcement as planned on April 5th. By posting the announcement on the forum when we did, at least we got 70 newbies which is a nice number of first timers.

Two lessons learned:

Best Regards,

Mel
Nobody's said it yet, so I will. Thanks, Mel (and all the other folks who work behind the scenes), for putting in the time and effort to put this event on. I had a conflict with some other travel, so I wasn't able even to try to register, but I do look forward to trying to attend next year. Stay the course.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

Thanks to Mel and all the others who spend what I am sure are countless hours making this event happen.

Nothing is perfect. You tried you best to accommodate as many as possible and that's what counts.

We appreciate your collective efforts.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

brightside wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm one of the newbies who surreptitiously saw the announcement. I actually just joined last Thursday, saw the post Sunday, registered, and sent my check Monday (I'm usually not that quick). Hoping the check arrives in the USPS's allotted "2-7 days" I've been checking my account all week to see if it's cleared.

I'm very excited (more so when I have the confirmation email), headquarters are actually 6 miles from where I grew up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I look forward lots of learning in my quest to Be a Better Boglehead.

Retirement for me is not far off, I hope....
b
Welcome to the Forum, brightside!

What a wonderful case of beginner's luck! Enjoy the Forum, the Conference, and your journey to financial independence and retirement.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)