What to see in Philly?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
four7s

What to see in Philly?

Post by four7s »

I will have about 4 hours in the morning to see one 'must visit' site in Philadelphia. Any recommendations? Thank you.
Hockey10

Re: What to see in Philly?

Post by Hockey10 »

Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. That is where our country got started and is definitely worth a visit.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

The National Constitution Center is in the same area...
Link

Further away is a run up the Art Museum steps like Rocky Balboa after running through the city and the italian market in South Philly, it only takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds. They have a Rocky statue at the base of the steps...
Link
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I would hit the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation Museum, and spend a couple of hours in each. They are very close to each other, and both are fantastic.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Get a cheese steak while you are in the Italian Market.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/25 ... s-07201125

30th Street Train Station, on the Schuylkill river, might be just too much out of your way, but it does not have to take long if you are close.
Free Art Deco Architecture and been in a number of Films (see the end of the wiki article).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30th_Street_Station
janiebegood

Post by janiebegood »

I second the recommendation of the Barnes Foundation. From there, it's about a 15-minute walk to Reading Terminal Market, where you can get an authentic Philly cheesesteak and then go to the Flying Monkey bakery for "butter cake". Trust me, it's fantastic.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

I second the recommendation for Reading Terminal Market. I went there last summer when I went to a Phillies game and I absolutely loved it! If I lived in Philly, I think I would go to that market every day.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Lindrobe wrote:I second the recommendation for Reading Terminal Market. I went there last summer when I went to a Phillies game and I absolutely loved it! If I lived in Philly, I think I would go to that market every day.
I made sure my hotel was across the street from the market!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Rocky balboa statue
athan

Post by athan »

Reading Terminal Market for lunch. I would probably just walk from there to Rittenhouse Square down either Walnut or Chestnut Streets. Lots of stores and great people watching.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I have to put in a word for the Mutter Museum. Very unique museum, but definitely not for everyone!
Gill

Post by Gill »

University of Pennsylvania.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
pbearn

Post by pbearn »

I agree with all suggestions above. But also,

Philly's Rodin Museum is the largest outside Paris:
http://www.rodinmuseum.org/

The Betsy Ross House is interesting:
http://www.historicphiladelphia.org/betsy-ross-house/
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

rocky steps of course...
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The Simeone auto museum is nicely done and interesting for those of us who like older sports cars. The location, just by the airport, is convenient for those with a few hours to spend prior to catching that plane. I went just prior to turning in my rental car.

http://www.simeonemuseum.org/?gclid=Cj0 ... AqRX8P8HAQ
Ben10

Post by Ben10 »

Hockey10 wrote:Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. That is where our country got started and is definitely worth a visit.
I agree with Hockey10, this is a no-brainer for Independence Hall and Liberty Bell with only a few hours to visit. Grab lunch at nearby Reading Terminal Market if you can.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

onthecusp wrote:Get a cheese steak while you are in the Italian Market.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/25 ... s-07201125
OK, I left Philly well before the Rocky movies were made, but in the day I pulled my bike up at 9th and Passyunk regularly. There was no cheese whiz on the steaks in those days, so go to Geno's!

Vic
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I had more free time when I was in Philly last summer, since the Sunday workshops for the conference were cancelled after I had already booked the flight and hotel. I saw Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell that day and also just took a walking tour of the area. Ended up wandering over to the Thomas Jefferson University and Pennsylvania Hospital area, before making my way back to the hotel along the Delaware River.

When I had a few hours to spare on another day, I went to the Independence Seaport Museum and paid extra to tour the submarine and ship docked nearby. Learned I'm a bit claustrophobic in the submarine tour, but the ship was nifty.
island

Post by island »

abner kravitz wrote:I would hit the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation Museum, and spend a couple of hours in each. They are very close to each other, and both are fantastic.
+1
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Hockey10 wrote:Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. That is where our country got started and is definitely worth a visit.
Agree. This or the Art Museum. Best might just be walking around Society Hill -- where Independence Hall is. The inside of the Hall wasn't a ton better than walking around the lovely and very historic neighborhood.

With all due respect to the other posters, I would not visit Penn or the Mutter Museum! But I agree that the latter is unique!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Big Worm

Post by Big Worm »

Forget all the touristy cheesesteak places.

Dalessandro's in Roxborough is the best by far!

Although Chubby's is pretty good and is right across the street and has fries.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Big Worm wrote:
Although Chubby's is pretty good and is right across the street and has fries.
Fries?! Dude...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

sawhorse wrote:I have to put in a word for the Mutter Museum. Very unique museum, but definitely not for everyone!
+1. Not for everyone but this was motivation for our side trip to Philly
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

When are you going? If you are into history I heard the new "Revolutionary War" museum opens later this month. Millions were spent on it - it sounds awesome.

EDIT ADD: Link:
https://www.amrevmuseum.org/
Opens April 19th.
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

4 hours is not enough. You need at least 1-2 weeks here to see/do all the unique things. Not joking.
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

Spend the first hour at Monk's Belgian beer bar, then you'll be smiling, whatever you choose to do, for the next three. Then, a nap.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

ArmchairArchitect wrote:4 hours is not enough. You need at least 1-2 weeks here to see/do all the unique things. Not joking.
I agree. With four hours you've got time for a steak and a water ice. Maybe two ices.

If you can stretch it a few hours, you could sneak in a visit to the old Eastern State pen. Absolutely amazing, if that's your thing.

https://www.easternstate.org
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
ArmchairArchitect

www.visitphilly.com and www.uwishunu.com are the official sites for tourism/events.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Ben10 wrote:Grab lunch at nearby Reading Terminal Market if you can.
+1 Highly recommend a Tommy DiNic's pulled pork sandwich, with sharp provolone and spinach extra wet. Its easy to find, its the place with the crazy long line.

And, of course, work it off with a jog up the Rocky Steps at the Philadelphia Museum. :beer
user5027

Post by user5027 »

OP,
You did not say when you would be in Philly. The Rocky (Art Museum) steps are now closed through the end of April. They are setting up the stage for the NFL Draft. Link to article...
Link
ArmchairArchitect

user5027 wrote:OP,
You did not say when you would be in Philly. The Rocky (Art Museum) steps are now closed through the end of April. They are setting up the stage for the NFL Draft. Link to article...
Link
Hint: You don't go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the "Rocky steps"...it's a world class art/artifact museum. The museum is still open.

Not to mention the Barnes Foundation within walking distance, which is the world's largest collection of impressionist/post-impressionist art (Picassos. Van Goghs, Renoirs, Matisses, etc. etc.). The art in there is now worth $25 billion, but Dr. Barnes picked each painting up for peanuts before any of this type of art was appreciated.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

ArmchairArchitect wrote:
user5027 wrote:OP,
Link
Hint: You don't go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the "Rocky steps"...it's a world class art/artifact museum. The museum is still open.

Not to mention the Barnes Foundation within walking distance, which is the world's largest collection of impressionist/post-impressionist art (Picassos. Van Goghs, Renoirs, Matisses, etc. etc.). The art in there is now worth $25 billion, but Dr. Barnes picked each painting up for peanuts before any of this type of art was appreciated.
Blah blah blah. Adriaaaaaannnnnnn!!!

Haha just kidding. Never been to Philly. But I will definitely stop at the Rocky statue and run up those steps when I do.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

ArmchairArchitect wrote: Hint: You don't go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the "Rocky steps"...it's a world class art/artifact museum. The museum is still open.
Explain that to Lisa...
“It’s the only thing we came here for,” Lisa Desrosiers, of Boston, said
To each his own. :sharebeer
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I'm going to be in Philly in a couple weeks and have five days to kill. I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are more suggestions. Reading Terminal is definitely on my list as well as the historic district because I'm a history buff. I'm going to be staying near the Convention center on Market street so good places to eat in that area would be appreciated.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Grantley

Post by Grantley »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am I'm going to be in Philly in a couple weeks and have five days to kill. I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are more suggestions. Reading Terminal is definitely on my list as well as the historic district because I'm a history buff. I'm going to be staying near the Convention center on Market street so good places to eat in that area would be appreciated.
I've lived in the area for 40 years. Historic area is not far away from the Convention Center. This includes Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, National Constitution Center, etc. Also Bishop White House, etc. Society Hill area is a very pretty walk through historic residential streets with 200+ year old townhouses.

In addition to the Philadelphia Art Museum and the Barnes, the PA Academy of Fine Arts is close to the convention center on N. Broad.

Walnut Street from Broad to Rittenhouse Square is the expensive shopping district.

The One Liberty Observation Deck has a nice view over the city: https://phillyfromthetop.com/

Two of the best Italian restaurants I've ever experienced are not far away either. Radicchio and Panorama. Radicchio is less formal and cheaper but a great BYOB. Panorama is further away - 1.5 miles.

http://www.radicchiophilly.com/

https://www.pennsviewhotel.com/panorama
lesterburnham

Post by lesterburnham »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am I'm going to be in Philly in a couple weeks and have five days to kill. I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are more suggestions. Reading Terminal is definitely on my list as well as the historic district because I'm a history buff. I'm going to be staying near the Convention center on Market street so good places to eat in that area would be appreciated.
If you want better and more interesting food than Maggiano's and Capital Grille, PM me. Outsiders think of Philly for cheesesteaks and soft pretzels but the city has an incredible and underrated restaurant scene.
ohai

Post by ohai »

The most interesting thing I've seen in Philadelphia by far is Reading Terminal Market. I guess the historical stuff is neat, but it's ultimately just some old houses and stuff.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

If you are interested in the Civil War, I would go to Gettysburg and take a tour and walk the battlefield.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

lesterburnham wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am
If you want better and more interesting food than Maggiano's and Capital Grille, PM me. Outsiders think of Philly for cheesesteaks and soft pretzels but the city has an incredible and underrated restaurant scene.
Being a cheese steak fan, I definitely want to try a couple while there. From looking at Google maps, there appears to be dozens if not hundreds of very good eating places within walking distance of the Convention center area.

Right now I am trying to figure out the mass transit system to see if there are places outside of downtown that I can get to. Valley Forge comes to mind. I'm going to be on foot so if I can't do it via mass transit, I'll have to see about an Uber or similar service.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:38 am If you are interested in the Civil War, I would go to Gettysburg and take a tour and walk the battlefield.
I was there as a kid but would love to go there again as an appreciating adult. However as I mentioned in my last post, I won't have a rental car so I have to either find a way via mass transportation or find a ride. I'm guessing neither of those would be very practical for something that far away.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Grantley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am The One Liberty Observation Deck has a nice view over the city: https://phillyfromthetop.com/

Two of the best Italian restaurants I've ever experienced are not far away either. Radicchio and Panorama. Radicchio is less formal and cheaper but a great BYOB. Panorama is further away - 1.5 miles.
Thank you for those suggestions!
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Are the Rocky steps still there? I thought Frank Gehry was getting rid of them. Liberty Bell: bring a magnifying glass. My abiding memory is of Chinese tourists laughing at it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

The buildings I really want to hit up are Independence Hall, the Museum of American Revolution, National Constitution Center and Mutter Museum. I was guessing the Liberty Bell would just be a photo op along with probably the Declaration House, Ben Franklin's Grave, Carpenter's Hall and Rocky statue.

Does anyone know if the Philadelphia History Museum is any good? So many museums anymore are extremely dumbed down for kids anymore that I hate going into them blind. Also I was wondering about the American Philosophical Society and the U.S. Mint? I've been to a couple Federal Reserve banks but never a mint.
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

Gill wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 am University of Pennsylvania.
Gill
If you decide to go to the Penn campus check out the Penn Museum. Formally it's the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology:
https://www.penn.museum/

If you have any interest in history at all I promise you won't be disappointed. It is a world class museum.

And while you're there, if you happen to be a fan of football history, Franklin Field is right across the street. I consider it a cathedral to football.

Per Wikipedia:
Deemed by the NCAA as the oldest stadium still operating for football, it was the site of the nation's first scoreboard in 1895, the nation's first stadium with an upper deck of seats in 1922, and was the site of the first radio broadcast of a football game in 1922 on WIP and the first television broadcast of a football game by Philco.[2]
The Eagles won the NFL championship there in 1960. This article describes the classic ending:
https://www.philly.com/philly/sports/ea ... aylor.html

"We got $3,500 each for winning that game. That was a hell of a lot of money." said Chuck Bednarik
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

My favorite cheesesteak place, which is a long walk or a short Uber from the Convention Center, is Jim's at 4th and South. It's very popular and often has a 20 minute line on weekends.

If you like row house architecture, my favorite couple of blocks in Center City is Clinton Street between 9th and 11th, an easy walk from the Convention Center.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

SrGrumpy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:00 pm Are the Rocky steps still there? I thought Frank Gehry was getting rid of them.
Yes the steps are still there. They are the steps up to the Art Museum at the west end of the Ben Franklin Parkway. The Rocky statue is just to the north from the base of the steps.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Reading terminal market is a great idea, plenty to eat, see, smell, and take in the vibe of a great market in a historic building. Get your shoes shined. I recall some great "Amish" meals, a crepe making stall, and candy shop, a honey shop, spice shop, book store, beer garden, one of the best pastrami sandwhiches of my life, a bakery, some of the best pizza ever, all kinds of stuff.

Italian market is a must see along with the Pat/Genos though there wares have no interest to me. The market has an old time original Godfather street scene parade look to it. Meat and cheese markets NOT TO BE MISSED, a great cookwares store, and all kinds of other things. More Hispanic vibe to the place.

Parking tough for both locations, especially if hauling away 60# of cheese...

South street another good walk and shop experience.

Driving up 611/Broad street from center city to the north was very depressing seeing things falling apart last time we did it.
Pale Blue Dot
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

Xfinity Live
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:39 am Right now I am trying to figure out the mass transit system to see if there are places outside of downtown that I can get to.
DW and I spent a week in Philadelphia last October. The biggest challenge for me personally was figuring out the mass transit, but eventually it clicked for me. PM me if you would like to compare notes.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)