Miami Open Tennis

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
an_asker

Miami Open Tennis

Post by an_asker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:58 pm

[Edited to add]:This is an old OP. Please respond to my first response (to my own thread) below :-)

I plan to attend the Miami Open Tennis tournament on Wednesday. Would someone who is local give me some idea on how much time (rush hour) I need to allow myself to drive down from, say, the West Palm Beach area so I can be parked at Key Biscayne by about 10 am? Barring backups due to accidents, would a couple of hours be sufficient?

Alternatively, is it better to park somewhere north of Miami and take the public transportation (train) into town, then take a bus?

I would appreciate any advice.

PS: Any bogleheads planning to be there as well (granted most of the seeded players are getting byes on Wednesday)?
Last edited by an_asker on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

an_asker

Re: Miami Open Tennis (2017 edition)

Post by an_asker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am

Any bogleheads going this year?

I didn't get any responses from locals (Boglehead locals, that is) last year, but I went and had such a good time that I am back this year as well. And am volunteering as well, no less :-)

So, it would be fun to meet up Bogleheads especially those who are also into Tennis. Anyone??

pennywise

Re: Miami Open Tennis

Post by pennywise » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm not a tennis player but I'd allocate 2 hours at least; coming south from Palm Beach you will hit rush hour traffic in WPB, Ft Lauderdale and into Miami. If you happen to get down more quickly than you plan, you can always stop somewhere on the key and enjoy the view before you get to the tournament. :happy

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 pm

an_asker wrote:I plan to attend the Miami Open Tennis tournament on Wednesday. Would someone who is local give me some idea on how much time (rush hour) I need to allow myself to drive down from, say, the West Palm Beach area so I can be parked at Key Biscayne by about 10 am? Barring backups due to accidents, would a couple of hours be sufficient?
If by "a couple of hours" you mean two hours, I would say you'd never make it on time. Since the only X-way route is I-95 south or the Florida Turnpike south to I-95 south, as Pennywise said you will hit 3 areas of rush hour traffic: Palm Beach area, Ft. Lauderdale area and Miami. There is an express lane on the X-ways, which will help (you need to pay), but it won't shave hours off your time. Factor in emergencies and accidents (although doesn't look like rain :happy If it were me and I needed to be in the Key Biscayne parking lot by 10:00, I would leave West Palm by 6:00-6:30 am.
an_asker wrote:Alternatively, is it better to park somewhere north of Miami and take the public transportation (train) into town, then take a bus?
In Miami?? Public transportation?? Well, there is Tri-Rail, a commuter train from West Palm to Miami, but it leaves you off somewhere in North Miami by the MetroRail, the rail system, which takes you to downtown. I have not heard of any express bus, but there may be. You're still miles from Key Biscayne. Might be a bus from a MetroRail station to the tennis stadium (one would think there would be), but you would have to check. Maybe the tennis event sponsors have something. Add at least 30 minutes to navigate the bus situation.
an_asker wrote:Any bogleheads planning to be there as well (granted most of the seeded players are getting byes on Wednesday)? . . . So, it would be fun to meet up Bogleheads especially those who are also into Tennis. Anyone??
Send a PM to Clevername, our local chapter leader. He's a big tennis fan 8-)

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

And the weather in South Florida has been absolutely GLORIOUS the last two weeks and looks to be the same for another week. Enjoy your tennis tournament :happy

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Miriam2 wrote:And the weather in South Florida has been absolutely GLORIOUS the last two weeks and looks to be the same for another week. Enjoy your tennis tournament :happy
Please note that the original post is (exactly, though not by design) one year old. This year I am a volunteer - a big step ahead, to say the least! :-)

PS: I've PMed clevername

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

I was in the WPB/Delray Beach area in February for the first time. I was a little surprised at the volume of traffic at all times of the day. May take a while to get to Miami.

I'm posting mostly to say I'm very jealous you'll be going to the Miami Open. Thank God for the Tennis Channel -- it allowed me to watch a great tournament in Indian Wells and I am sure Miami will be no different.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 pm

With all the snowbirds around, allow a lot of time. Go to Googlemaps, see what they say and double it. Enjoy, I tried volunteering for US Open and never made it.....great fun!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 am

I would give it at least two hours, If you have a sun pass and don't mind the tolls it will be much faster. Rush hour into downtown Miami begins around 7am.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:42 am

Be thankful for the bridge to KB that was built some years ago. The old drawbridge would have to raise up for boats and it could take 2 to 4 hours to get on or off the island.