2014 Subaru Forrester 2.5i vs 2010 Lexus RX 350

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

2014 Subaru Forrester 2.5i vs 2010 Lexus RX 350

Post by ZeroWealth »

My wife and I are in the market for a second car (after many years of denying we only needed one), and we've narrowed our choice down to either the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i or the 2010 Lexus RX 350. We'd love to get first-hand opinions on these cars (not necessarily the exact model year) to help us in our selection. Thanks!
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams
pyld76

Re: 2014 Subaru Forrester 2.5i vs 2010 Lexus RX 350

Post by pyld76 »

I've owned a Lexus (albeit a sedan), a 2015 Forester 2.5i, a 2017 Forester 2.5i (after the former gave itself and all airbags to save my bacon after a 75mph deer collision).

Even assuming the Forrester is in limited or touring trim, the Lexus will be quieter, more refined, better materials for the interior (better leather, real wood vs fake, uniform assembly gaps, etc). It will have a significantly wider powerband from the engine. If you have it serviced at a Lexus dealer, the service and amenities surrounding it will absolutely trounce what you will get at a Subaru dealer and the price will reflect that. Without checking CR or other sources, my assumption is that it would be reliable.

The Subaru will get nontrivially better gas mileage and cost significantly less to own. It's AWD drive system is better. With winter tires, the car is a beast in the snow. It will hold it's value almost as well as, if not better than, the lexus. It doesn't carry a built in sign that says either "pull me over" or "steal me." In Washington state, it's the functional equivalent of automotive camouflage. CR thinks they are reliable, my own experience anecdotally reflects that. If you are not accustomed to driving a continuously variable transmission (I'm assuming it's not a manual you are looking at), it may be disconcerting at first. Some people really hate them, and if you or the wife qualify, buy the Lexus, hands down.

I've owned premium/luxury cars (Acura, Lexus, BMW) and massmarket (Toyota, Subaru) in the past 20 years. The sweet spot, as I see it, is to get something like a Forrester optioned all the way up, were you buying new, and save the $15k relative to a luxury nameplate. If interior refinement or the last couple of DB of noise reduction are important enough to you to pay the "luxury nameplate tax" then get the Lexus. Otherwise, get the Subaru.

I'd save the money on a depreciating asset (car) and spend it on experiences/travel, pay down your mortgage, etc. I'm not saying I regret having spent the money on luxury nameplated cars, but if I knew at that age what I know now I'd have done it differently.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've bought 2 different used Lexus RXs since 2002. They are smooth easy cars to have around. I get 20 mpg in the RX's in city driving and better on the highway, but I rarely drive on the highway. Gas is so cheap that MPG is not a concern of mine since I drive less than 6,000 a year.

The first RX was in the family 14 years before it was traded in.

Don't know about Subaru except I had an extended test drive of a new Outback in 2006. Didn't buy it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

Thanks for your responses! I'm going to test drive a few tonight and will report back my impressions. :)
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

The Forester is a good honest car, but accept it for what it is. It's an inexpensive economy car with a larger body on it, that can tackle any weather, and bats above its weight class with driver assistance from its eyesight system.

Otherwise its loud, slow, not terribly comfortable, minimal interior, and no infotainment.

The Lexus will be pretty much the opposite of the Forester in most categories, you will have to drive both and decide what is most important to you.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I did a comparison at Fueleconomy.gov and was surprised by the difference between these cars.

2010 Lexus RX350 AWD 18 City 24 Highway
2010 Lexus RX350 2WD 18 City 25 Highway
2014 Forrester AWD 24 City 31 Highway
Wiki
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I'm a Subaru owner, but they're loud on the road due to lack of sound proofing and get average/poor MPG in real world driving. Otherwise they're reliable, cheap to operate, and good in any weather. The Lexus will be light years ahead in refinement.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

I recently test drove the Cx5, Forrester, Outback, Sportage (and the Leaf, just out of curiosity.) I've also driven the Rav4 2 years ago.

One thing nobody has mentioned about the Subarus... the current models side view mirrors are pretty limited in their range. I like to set them wide to push back the blind spot in each corner to 2 car lengths or more. The Subarus do not allow for this due to their limited range.

None of these cars had everything I wanted, so I decide to lease for the first time ever, and see what was out there in 3 years. I ended up going with the Sportage Sx Turbo AWD... I really like the car, though the tires it comes with aren't so hot in the snow, the AWD helps. The panoramic moonroof is really cool, and the sport mode turbo has modest lag. The mileage is poor unless you have extended highway travel at decent speed... 16 mpg around town, but mid 20's if I get in a few highway miles. Modern cars are a little too automated for me.... more moving parts is more things to break down. Drove my last car 20 years (base model 4 cyl Camry, 300k miles.)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Please know that Subaru recently settled a lawsuit regarding excessive oil consumption in several models and years, including the 2014 Forester. As part of the settlement, Subaru extended the engine warranties and is replacing short blocks if the car fails a dealership administered oil consumption test. Dealers can be quite adept at ensuring your vehicle does not fail the test.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/update-s ... on-lawsuit

I would strongly suggest you research the effected models and years. I bought my 2013 Forester brand new and performed all the regular maintenance. It currently uses up to 3 quarts between oil changes. Its been a wonderful car, with the exception of the oil consumption issue. As others have mentioned, the AWD with snow tires makes it a pleasure to drive in the winter.
eog

Post by eog »

Forester 2.5i is the stripped down model as far as I know. Between that and the Lexus I would say go for the Lexus. Lexus will have more amenities, will ride better and will be more comfortable overall. I would add the Subaru Outback to your list of options to check out. Outbacks are more refined, feel more quality and ride better than the foresters.
gator1

Post by gator1 »

Get the Lexus. You won't be sorry.
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

gator1 wrote:Get the Lexus. You won't be sorry.
We got the Lexus (450h), and we definitely are not sorry. :)

Thanks everyone for your input on this!
rguina

Post by rguina »

ZeroWealth wrote:

The RX 450h is the hybrid version of the RX 350, right?

I haven't driven one, but I like the combination of the V6 power and best in class gas mileage.

I know gas is cheap now, but I usually drive cars for 10 years.no guarantees gas well continue to be low priced the entire time.
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

rguina wrote:The RX 450h is the hybrid version of the RX 350, right?

I haven't driven one, but I like the combination of the V6 power and best in class gas mileage.

I know gas is cheap now, but I usually drive cars for 10 years.no guarantees gas well continue to be low priced the entire time.
Indeed it is the hybrid version! It also had some nice additions like adaptive headlights (turn when you turn) and the navigation system. We've already seen an average ~28mpg doing our typical driving, which is amazing for an SUV weighing ~4500lbs. For comparison, our 2010 Jetta gets about 26mpg on average.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Lexus :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rguina

Post by rguina »

ZeroWealth wrote:

Indeed it is the hybrid version! It also had some nice additions like adaptive headlights (turn when you turn) and the navigation system. We've already seen an average ~28mpg doing our typical driving, which is amazing for an SUV weighing ~4500lbs. For comparison, our 2010 Jetta gets about 26mpg on average.
Thank you. I'll take a look at these. They are a little more expensive than I planned on spending, even used. But they are also a class above the vehicles I was considering (CRV, Rav-4, Escape, Forester, etc.).
gator1

Post by gator1 »

rguina wrote:
ZeroWealth wrote:

Thank you. I'll take a look at these. They are a little more expensive than I planned on spending, even used. But they are also a class above the vehicles I was considering (CRV, Rav-4, Escape, Forester, etc.).
There's honestly no comparison. The Lexus is so far above the ones you list and worth every penny extra IMO. I'd buy a used Lexus(even a 2010) before buying the others new.
gator1

Post by gator1 »

ZeroWealth wrote:

Glad you enjoy your purchase! The 450h's are beautiful.
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

gator1 wrote:Glad you enjoy your purchase! The 450h's are beautiful.
I still don't feel worthy when I drive it around and the windshield wipers come on automatically. :P Also it only had 79k miles on it and a perfect maintenance record, we also got a free year of maintenance included in the purchase and a 12k powertrain warrantee for free, and this is for a 2010!
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

My wife and I are currently SUV shopping as well. Would you mind saying what you paid for the 450H? Dealer or Private Party? Thanks in advance.
pyld76

Post by pyld76 »

ZeroWealth wrote: I still don't feel worthy when I drive it around and the windshield wipers come on automatically. :P Also it only had 79k miles on it and a perfect maintenance record, we also got a free year of maintenance included in the purchase and a 12k powertrain warrantee for free, and this is for a 2010!
Did they do anything for you beyond 100k on the battery pack? If you have the car for any significant length of time, you will likely end up into a new pack, which runs (IIRC) about $5k or thereabouts.

Congrats on the vehicle. They are nice.
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

Slick8503 wrote:My wife and I are currently SUV shopping as well. Would you mind saying what you paid for the 450H? Dealer or Private Party? Thanks in advance.
Hi Slick, it was through a Lexus dealer and we paid ~$27.5k after taxes and registration. This was after turning down about 50 extended warranty options they threw at us, which could have added over $10k to the bill!
Topic Author
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

pyld76 wrote:Did they do anything for you beyond 100k on the battery pack? If you have the car for any significant length of time, you will likely end up into a new pack, which runs (IIRC) about $5k or thereabouts.

Congrats on the vehicle. They are nice.
There was nothing beyond the 100k battery pack warranty, so we'll probably end up having to pay for it when the time comes. We'll only end up putting probably 5k/yr on the car, so we still have 4 years until we'll hit that 100k.
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

ZeroWealth, thanks so much for the data point. Enjoy your Lexus!! I'm jealous!
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

Have driven the Forester in the past as well as the RX. Both good cars and agree with all mentioned previously. However, recently had a new Rav4 in Bozeman for several days and absolutely loved it. Would def go that route over the others.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I drive a 2014 Forester.
I find it very comfortable.
Handles well in snow.
Spacious inside considering it looks small from the outside.

I find Subaru to be a very good company, this is my 3rd Subaru.

Have test driven Lexus in past but couldn't justify the extra cost in my mind.