What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
np81

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by np81 »

They have little reason to really crack down on people churning their cards, because they account for such an insignificant portion of their entire customer base. They're making money hand over foot via transaction charges, interest fees, marketing, etc.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ResearchMed wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:I've been wondering why charge card companies (Amex, Citi, Chase, etc.) actually do give bonuses for folks who churn.
Take a look at a blog post I have linked earlier. It provides some explanations.
VictoriaF earlier wrote:An interesting article in The Points Guy Why US Credit Card Bonuses Are So High — And Why That May Change reviews the reasons for the U.S. consumers getting higher sign-up bonuses than the rest of the world. It also provides explanations for the disappearance of the debit card bonuses.
Victoria
I'm not sure that answers the duplication question.
That answers "why cards", and why a bonus, but not multiples per customer.

If customers have A card (or a few) from a charge card company, then they already can "swipe" to have their own convenience and also to give the card company their swipe fee... and also hopefully the interest on charges not paid off.
If they want to allow a customer the chance to "carry an even higher balance" via multiple cards, why not just increase the credit limit similar to the combined total?

I could also understand customers wanting a second back-up card in case of loss/theft/block, etc.
So perhaps 2 per customer (someone may want a duplicate of the exact perks, etc.).

But why over and over, each time with the big points?
What's in it for the card company, vs. being as sure as they can that more individuals have cards, and perhaps higher credit limits (instead of multiple cards, each with bonus)?

RM
Competition. If I've already earned my sign-up bonus on credit card #1, I'm on to cc #2 for another fat sign-up bonus. I'll never use cc #1 again (or only very little, and perhaps never again if I cancel to avoid an annual fee). So, cc #1 falls by the wayside while I focus on charging stuff to cc #2 -- at least, until I've earned the bonus. Then, I'm on to card #3, and all my spending goes there. And so on ...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

np81 wrote:They have little reason to really crack down on people churning their cards, because they account for such an insignificant portion of their entire customer base. They're making money hand over foot via transaction charges, interest fees, marketing, etc.
This makes sense.

Are there any numbers about the percentage of cards-with-bonus that are issued to churners (some sort of definition) vs. those who've never had that branded card before, or say, not for x years?
This is what I was after, I guess, at least in general, if not actual numbers.
(If so, it's probably proprietary, I suppose.)

I know that most people don't churn or even use points much (if at all).
I guess I don't realize how very tiny is the group who do so regularly, especially the churning(?)
I keep noticing and reading all about this stuff.
Selective perception at it's finest :wink:

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
np81

Post by np81 »

ResearchMed wrote:Are there any numbers about the percentage of cards-with-bonus that are issued to churners (some sort of definition) vs. those who've never had that branded card before, or say, not for x years?
I can't recall ever seeing anything like this, though I think it'd be an interesting read for sure if it was available somewhere.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:This week, S&S's promotion is 5X gas points on Sears gift cards. Any gift cards not in the promo get zip. You're certainly right that we would waive the price rollback of the Citi double cash, which we usually use or the extended warranty that I know AMEX does (which I have in the sock drawer). To be honest, I'm a big do-it-yourselfer and have found too often that some service people are less competent than I am. I'd rather buy a part on Amazon for $10 and put it in myself than use the warranty. I'm also a realist and expect Sears to be out of business before an extended warranty would end.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. So on the weekly circular they may have promotions on certain types of gift cards that will earn gas points? Makes sense. Will have to look out for this. And do they ever have them on Visa/Mastercard gift cards or store cards only?
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

One thing I never get, likely because I'm not sure of all the various less obvious ways that banks make money - is why they care about *what* you buy with the card, for example - many (most?) don't pay points on purchases for cash equivalents? don't they get their cut either way or is it that the merchant doesn't pay out to them on these transactions?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Barefootgirl wrote:One thing I never get, likely because I'm not sure of all the various less obvious ways that banks make money - is why they care about *what* you buy with the card, for example - many (most?) don't pay points on purchases for cash equivalents? don't they get their cut either way or is it that the merchant doesn't pay out to them on these transactions?

Marketing, first they are collecting data on what you buy and selling that data off to marketing research companies. Second not paying points or whatever cash equivalents is an attempt to stop the abuse of the system. Paying points for certain categories is a marketing ploy...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

np81 wrote:They have little reason to really crack down on people churning their cards, because they account for such an insignificant portion of their entire customer base. They're making money hand over foot via transaction charges, interest fees, marketing, etc.
If that was true, there wouldn't be a 5/24 rule!

Last year Citi asked for a copy of my tax returns for a credit card! I have excellent credit (820+) and income- they just want to eliminate people that open and close accounts and make them jump through hoops as it costs them money.

Do you know how much it costs Chase to give 100k points? That is $1000 in cash you can get. If they make 2% on your purchases you would have to spend $200k for them to recover the bonus. I doubt many churners are paying interest on their cards and they don't keep them open long enough for the issuer to recover the bonus.

There are 24 pages in this topic alone and entire website dedicated to gaming credit cards!
np81

Post by np81 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
If that was true, there wouldn't be a 5/24 rule!

Last year Citi asked for a copy of my tax returns for a credit card! I have excellent credit (820+) and income- they just want to eliminate people that open and close accounts and make them jump through hoops as it costs them money.

Do you know how much it costs Chase to give 100k points? That is $1000 in cash you can get. If they make 2% on your purchases you would have to spend $200k for them to recover the bonus. I doubt many churners are paying interest on their cards and they don't keep them open long enough for the issuer to recover the bonus.
Point being, they could be doing much more to prevent churning entirely. If all card users started churning, there's no doubt in my mind that they'd eliminate every avenue for churning entirely.
travellight

Post by travellight »

BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
They don't care about 5/24 or other rules because once you exhaust all of your bonus opportunities, you're done.
This is the game changer...once you've run through all the major bank cards, you are done churning for bonuses - left with only waiting for new cards w/bonuses or watching for special promotions. Outside of that, regular spend which brings the game back to regular road warriors, who typically have been either reimbursed by their employers or self-employed with business expenses. There is reselling, but even there, without a bonus, it becomes a bit of work and you need to consider the value of your time.

I've not been in this long enough to know whether it shares any similarities to other business cycles - i.e. when banks see fewer new cards, less spend, will they loosen and re-ignite another cycle?
Keep in mind that is just American Express's rule. In that same vein, they are cracking down on bonus matches. If you applied a month ago for the Starwood Preferred Guest card for 25,000 bonus points and now see the 35,000 bonus point offer, they won't match it.

Yes and no. There are still some churnable bonuses such as Alaska Airlines, the Citi offers without the 24 months language, and Chase if it has been 24 months since you last got the bonus, but banks are cracking down across the board. It seems the clear trend is worse for the churner, but there is some of what you are referring to. Typically for travel cards, the slow times is when we see better offers. After summer, look for expanded bonus offers. It is no coincidence that the Delta 70,000 mile bonus happened in January when travel is slower and not in the summer. We have seen some effects of competition such as American Express sending out more targeted offers for the Amex Platinum such as 50,000 and up bonuses and offering the 5X cash back on airfare when previously it was practically useless as an ongoing card. It will be interesting to see if any card tries to compete with Chase for travel card supremacy.
I am finding very few churnable bonuses left. I am way out of the Chase world due to 5/24.... even opened Chase private client and deposited over 250k and got turned down for CSR. I have never had SPG and applied for that and was turned down. Tried SPG business and was told it needed further review, probably a rejection. My prior Amex was over a month ago. I am going to try for the Merrill Edge card next and B of A's Travel REwards card. I also tried Alaska and was told pending review; I last got it over 4 months ago. Maybe I'll have to hit up Barclay's Aviator card; last got it 2 months ago.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
They don't care about 5/24 or other rules because once you exhaust all of your bonus opportunities, you're done.
This is the game changer...once you've run through all the major bank cards, you are done churning for bonuses - left with only waiting for new cards w/bonuses or watching for special promotions. Outside of that, regular spend which brings the game back to regular road warriors, who typically have been either reimbursed by their employers or self-employed with business expenses. There is reselling, but even there, without a bonus, it becomes a bit of work and you need to consider the value of your time.

I've not been in this long enough to know whether it shares any similarities to other business cycles - i.e. when banks see fewer new cards, less spend, will they loosen and re-ignite another cycle?
Keep in mind that is just American Express's rule. In that same vein, they are cracking down on bonus matches. If you applied a month ago for the Starwood Preferred Guest card for 25,000 bonus points and now see the 35,000 bonus point offer, they won't match it.

Yes and no. There are still some churnable bonuses such as Alaska Airlines, the Citi offers without the 24 months language, and Chase if it has been 24 months since you last got the bonus, but banks are cracking down across the board. It seems the clear trend is worse for the churner, but there is some of what you are referring to. Typically for travel cards, the slow times is when we see better offers. After summer, look for expanded bonus offers. It is no coincidence that the Delta 70,000 mile bonus happened in January when travel is slower and not in the summer. We have seen some effects of competition such as American Express sending out more targeted offers for the Amex Platinum such as 50,000 and up bonuses and offering the 5X cash back on airfare when previously it was practically useless as an ongoing card. It will be interesting to see if any card tries to compete with Chase for travel card supremacy.
I am finding very few churnable bonuses left. I am way out of the Chase world due to 5/24.... even opened Chase private client and deposited over 250k and got turned down for CSR. I have never had SPG and applied for that and was turned down. Tried SPG business and was told it needed further review, probably a rejection. My prior Amex was over a month ago. I am going to try for the Merrill Edge card next and B of A's Travel REwards card. I also tried Alaska and was told pending review; I last got it over 4 months ago. Maybe I'll have to hit up Barclay's Aviator card; last got it 2 months ago.
How many cards have you opened in the past 12 months?
youngin87

Post by youngin87 »

Sallie mae rewards is getting rid of their 5% gas, grocery, and bookstore card. I'm switching over to the USAA limitless which gives 2.5% cash back everything. I also have discover and chase for the 5% rotating categories.
travellight

Post by travellight »

giesen5 wrote:
travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

How many cards have you opened in the past 12 months?
9. About 6 of them in the past 4 months but none in the past 30 days.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Sometimes you just have to cool it on the new inquiries on a while and then you can pick up some more cards again. There is also Citi, Capital One, US Bank, etc. US Bank won't approve you with a lot of recent inquiries though.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Drew777 wrote:
travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Sometimes you just have to cool it on the new inquiries on a while and then you can pick up some more cards again. There is also Citi, Capital One, US Bank, etc. US Bank won't approve you with a lot of recent inquiries though.
Yep. I concentrate on the high value bonuses. I try not to go after anything less than equivalent to $500. There aren't that many in that category.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Yep. I concentrate on the high value bonuses. I try not to go after anything less than equivalent to $500. There aren't that many in that category.
I think there are a ton in that category, I have about the same threshold and between my wife and I we've opened 40+ cards in the past couple years (most of them in my name). I am nowhere near out of cards to apply for.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

Just tried to get something, anything, from Chase for keeping my CSP card. I've read they have been stingy recently and it proved true for me. I've had the card for one year, AF posted a couple of weeks ago, $13K spend in the year. Only thing they offered is a downgrade to a no fee card. Oh well.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:

I think there are a ton in that category, I have about the same threshold and between my wife and I we've opened 40+ cards in the past couple years (most of them in my name). I am nowhere near out of cards to apply for.
I guess it depends how you value bonuses and what is useful to you. I don't really use/need hotel rewards so I don't do those. I'm curious what these 40 cards were with such big bonuses.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
travellight wrote:
I guess it depends how you value bonuses and what is useful to you. I don't really use/need hotel rewards so I don't do those. I'm curious what these 40 cards were with such big bonuses.
I can find a use for just about any points/miles. I'm extremely flexible and want to go pretty much everywhere. Lets see... From Chase I've had CSP, BA, Fairmont, Hyatt, IHG, United, Southwest. From Amex I've had the personal Plat, Ameriprise Plat, Biz Plat, 2x SPG personal, 2x SPG Biz, 2x Hilton Surpass, 2x no AF Hilton, 1x SimplyCash. From Citi I've had 6x AA Plat, AA Biz, Hilton Reserve, no AF Hilton. From BOA I've had 2x Alaska and Merrill +. From Barclays I've had 2x Wyndham, 2x Aviator, 2x Arrival +. From Capital One I've had Venture, 2x Spark Cash, Spark Miles. I've had 2x Discover It and Discover It Miles. Wells Fargo 5x card. That's 47 I think, and I may be missing some. Some of them were cashback or for reasons other than a large signup bonus though. But most of them had greater than $500 value signup bonuses.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Heads up!

I have just read a cautionary tale in Million Mile Secrets, http://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/02/2 ... g-payment/

A guy has canceled a credit card but forgot to transfer a recurring payment to another card. The payee charged the card several months after it was closed, the charge went through, and the bank did not notify the guy about the payment. He found out about it when he learned that his account was 30 days over-due. Now he's dealing with the damage including ongoing correspondence with the bank and correcting his record at three major credit reporting agencies.

The guy's recommendation is to transfer recurring payments at the time of closing a card. My opinion is that one should always authorize minimum payments from your bank. If a credit-card bank makes a mistake and allows a recurring charge or a fraudulent charge on a closed card, the minimum payment option protects one from a long and painful correction process.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
travellight

Post by travellight »

Drew777 wrote:
travellight wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Yeah, it's just that I am getting ready to spend about 12k and want to make use of the spend. I am replacing carpet in my house and will pull the trigger on it with home depot as soon as I can line up a card or two with bonuses.
travellight

Post by travellight »

VictoriaF wrote:Heads up!

I have just read a cautionary tale in Million Mile Secrets, http://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/02/2 ... g-payment/

A guy has canceled a credit card but forgot to transfer a recurring payment to another card. The payee charged the card several months after it was closed, the charge went through, and the bank did not notify the guy about the payment. He found out about it when he learned that his account was 30 days over-due. Now he's dealing with the damage including ongoing correspondence with the bank and correcting his record at three major credit reporting agencies.

The guy's recommendation is to transfer recurring payments at the time of closing a card. My opinion is that one should always authorize minimum payments from your bank. If a credit-card bank makes a mistake and allows a recurring charge or a fraudulent charge on a closed card, the minimum payment option protects one from a long and painful correction process.

Victoria
Part of my ritual is to make a list of all my recurring payments cards and transfer it if/when I close the card. I make note of it when I calendar the date for closure of the card that I need to change the recurring payment as well. I also do autopay on all cards for full payments each month. My last safety net for this is that I use mint dot com and it would have notified me of the first missed payment so I could call right away and manage it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
I can find a use for just about any points/miles. I'm extremely flexible and want to go pretty much everywhere. Lets see... From Chase I've had CSP, BA, Fairmont, Hyatt, IHG, United, Southwest. From Amex I've had the personal Plat, Ameriprise Plat, Biz Plat, 2x SPG personal, 2x SPG Biz, 2x Hilton Surpass, 2x no AF Hilton, 1x SimplyCash. From Citi I've had 6x AA Plat, AA Biz, Hilton Reserve, no AF Hilton. From BOA I've had 2x Alaska and Merrill +. From Barclays I've had 2x Wyndham, 2x Aviator, 2x Arrival +. From Capital One I've had Venture, 2x Spark Cash, Spark Miles. I've had 2x Discover It and Discover It Miles. Wells Fargo 5x card. That's 47 I think, and I may be missing some. Some of them were cashback or for reasons other than a large signup bonus though. But most of them had greater than $500 value signup bonuses.
What about the 24/5 rule? 6 Chase AA in two years?
np81

Post by np81 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
You mean Citi? There were loopholes to get around the restrictions, like the World Elite conversion loophole, and targeted mailers and links that omit the 24-month verbiage. I have gotten 8 Citi cards myself in the last 18 months.
travellight

Post by travellight »

np81 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
You mean Citi? There were loopholes to get around the restrictions, like the World Elite conversion loophole, and targeted mailers and links that omit the 24-month verbiage. I have gotten 8 Citi cards myself in the last 18 months.
What is the World Elite conversion loophole?
np81

Post by np81 »

travellight wrote:
np81 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
What is the World Elite conversion loophole?
Last year, all Citi AAdvantage cards were being sent as "World" cards (shown on the back of the card itself). Once Citi upgraded those "World" cards to "World Elite", they sent you a brand new card (same card number). It was this process, and likely something in CIti's system, that allowed you to apply for another Citi AAdvantage card - with or without the then 18-month language about not having any other open cards - and you would still receive the bonus for it. I churned through six Citi AA cards myself using this method, before the loophole stopped. All Citi AA cards are now coming as World Elites.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Drew777 wrote: <snip>
From Amex I've had the personal Plat, Ameriprise Plat, Biz Plat, 2x SPG personal, 2x SPG Biz, 2x Hilton Surpass, 2x no AF Hilton, 1x SimplyCash.
<snip>
I assume the "2x" for various Amex cards means that you and your wife each got the card. I've already received the Amex SPG bonus (several years ago) but still haven't spent it. The current up to 35k bonus sounds pretty nice, and I was thinking of suggesting to SO to apply for the card (assuming I cannot). But, he's not so keen to play the cc game, so it would be better if I can keep him out of things. I would consider getting the Amex SPG Biz for myself, though my understanding is Amex scrutinizes financials more closely than others.

I'm also a bit unsure about the SPG card in light of the Marriott merger. Not quite sure how to evaluate that aspect.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

rjbraun wrote:
From Amex I've had the personal Plat, Ameriprise Plat, Biz Plat, 2x SPG personal, 2x SPG Biz, 2x Hilton Surpass, 2x no AF Hilton, 1x SimplyCash.
<snip>
I assume the "2x" for various Amex cards means that you and your wife each got the card. I've already received the Amex SPG bonus (several years ago) but still haven't spent it. The current up to 35k bonus sounds pretty nice, and I was thinking of suggesting to SO to apply for the card (assuming I cannot). But, he's not so keen to play the cc game, so it would be better if I can keep him out of things. I would consider getting the Amex SPG Biz for myself, though my understanding is Amex scrutinizes financials more closely than others.

I'm also a bit unsure about the SPG card in light of the Marriott merger. Not quite sure how to evaluate that aspect.
Yes, my wife got those cards. However, you can get the bonus for multiples of the same Amex card using different business as long as you use different EINs. It's extremely easy to get approved for Amex business cards. Most of mine have been auto approved. I even went through a financial review with Amex and was fine. Some people just panic and close their accounts when Amex tells them they're under a financial review, which is the worst thing you can do. As long as you cooperate it will be fine, they won't close your accounts. Just don't lie about your income (or business revenue). You can be approved with $0 business income. And if anything the Marriott merger makes SPG MORE valuable, not less.
np81

Post by np81 »

Drew777 wrote:You can be approved with $0 business income.
The same also applies to the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

np81 wrote:
Drew777 wrote:You can be approved with $0 business income.
The same also applies to the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card.
Really I think the only bank that is strict on business CC applications is Chase. Most others are very lenient.
EthelT

Post by EthelT »

What about AwardWallet for tracking miles/points? Looks like someone brought it up back in 2014 - has it evolved for the better or the worse?
np81

Post by np81 »

EthelT wrote:What about AwardWallet for tracking miles/points? Looks like someone brought it up back in 2014 - has it evolved for the better or the worse?
The free version is okay, but I wouldn't pay the new rate for the Pro version. Some still like it, though.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

My general recommendation to Bogleheads readers of this thread is to regularly review three to six travel/credit cards/rewards blogs. They provide you with the latest news and contain useful information you did not seek. My regular go-to blogs are:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/
http://millionmilesecrets.com/
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/
http://thepointsguy.com/
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/

I do NOT read everything. I scan titles, expand those that seem relevant, and read them completely only if they appear useful. Thus, the whole exercise takes from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on how many days have passed since my last review and whether there is something directly relevant to me.

For example, there were two recent pieces of information that I had not sought but that may be handy in the future:
1. Global Entry should be renewed well in advance of its expiration, and the renewal can be started 1 year earlier.
2. If a flight is delayed, one can change to a better flight without paying a change fee.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

VictoriaF wrote:My general recommendation to Bogleheads readers of this thread is to regularly review three to six travel/credit cards/rewards blogs. They provide you with the latest news and contain useful information you did not seek. My regular go-to blogs are:
Note that almost all of these blogs get paid by the banks to advertise, receive payouts if you use their links to apply for cards, and sometimes promote non-optimal approaches to this hobby. The most serious offenders of sellouts are millionmilesecerets and thepointsguy. Anyone who follows this hobby closely pretty much ignores those sites these days.

I get my entire dose of information from reddit and doctor of credit - whom is the only blogger on the list above that does not take payments to advertise and is among the best at providing simple, straight forward explanations for the details of each card/offer/promo posted.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

Doctor of Credit is my go to, but I also like reading the others blogs. I actually find a lot of good information in the comments sections, from other readers.
np81

Post by np81 »

sharpjm wrote:I get my entire dose of information from reddit and doctor of credit - whom is the only blogger on the list above that does not take payments to advertise and is among the best at providing simple, straight forward explanations for the details of each card/offer/promo posted.
Same.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sharpjm wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:My general recommendation to Bogleheads readers of this thread is to regularly review three to six travel/credit cards/rewards blogs. They provide you with the latest news and contain useful information you did not seek. My regular go-to blogs are:
Note that almost all of these blogs get paid by the banks to advertise, receive payouts if you use their links to apply for cards, and sometimes promote non-optimal approaches to this hobby. The most serious offenders of sellouts are millionmilesecerets and thepointsguy. Anyone who follows this hobby closely pretty much ignores those sites these days.

I get my entire dose of information from reddit and doctor of credit - whom is the only blogger on the list above that does not take payments to advertise and is among the best at providing simple, straight forward explanations for the details of each card/offer/promo posted.
The bloggers are paid by advertising which motivates them to maintain these blogs. Some of their recommendations are sub-optimal, and that's why I read six instead of one. People follow the travel/credit cards hobby at different levels of involvement. For me, it's easier to quickly review blogs and seek more detailed information elsewhere if I want to get a new credit card or purchase a complex itinerary.

Victoria
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

A bit off topic: Is anyone involved in the bank bonuses? I just got the Wells Fargo bonus, feel like I am spiraling down another rabbit hole......
Hankscorpio_84

Post by Hankscorpio_84 »

I recently started using a site/app called birch finance to view/manage cc rewards. It is similar to mint but focuses on maximizing rewards.

I am not affiliated, just found the interface helpful.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

Hankscorpio_84 wrote:I recently started using a site/app called birch finance to view/manage cc rewards. It is similar to mint but focuses on maximizing rewards.

I am not affiliated, just found the interface helpful.
Tell us more, what is good about it?
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Drew777 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
<snip>

Yes, my wife got those cards. However, you can get the bonus for multiples of the same Amex card using different business as long as you use different EINs. It's extremely easy to get approved for Amex business cards. Most of mine have been auto approved. I even went through a financial review with Amex and was fine. Some people just panic and close their accounts when Amex tells them they're under a financial review, which is the worst thing you can do. As long as you cooperate it will be fine, they won't close your accounts. Just don't lie about your income (or business revenue). You can be approved with $0 business income. And if anything the Marriott merger makes SPG MORE valuable, not less.
Thanks, Drew. As I have yet to apply for Amex SPG Business I thought I might do that, but the bonus terms aren't attractive when I checked now: same as for the personal card but with (considerably) higher minimum spends. Ugh, maybe I'll have to ask SO to apply after all.

Good to know you think Marriott merger stands to benefit SPG. Presumably, it will increase hotel options, but my concern was about possible devaluation of Starpoints.

Interesting about the different EINs. In my case, I have not legally formed my business venture(s), so according to the IRS website I need to wait to obtain an EIN.
np81

Post by np81 »

rjbraun wrote:Interesting about the different EINs. In my case, I have not legally formed my business venture(s), so according to the IRS website I need to wait to obtain an EIN.
I'm not sure if this is the case with Amex, but Citi (confirmed personally) and a few others allow you to use your SSN in lieu of an EIN for a business card.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

np81 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:Interesting about the different EINs. In my case, I have not legally formed my business venture(s), so according to the IRS website I need to wait to obtain an EIN.
I'm not sure if this is the case with Amex, but Citi (confirmed personally) and a few others allow you to use your SSN in lieu of an EIN for a business card.
AMEX is the same, you use your SSN. I have a few business cards with them.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

giesen5 wrote:
np81 wrote:
IF one uses an EIN vs SSN, is there a way to combine the awards/points with those accumulated using a personal card?

We never got a credit card for our LLC, because we assumed that our brand new business would need to have its own credit check, and there'd obviously be no history.
It's probably moot now (pretty much shutting down operations so we can travel more, but we might start up something online), but for the future, is this not correct?

With an LLC name and a separate EIN, they could use one's personal credit history?

Thanks.

RM
misterno

Post by misterno »

I owned all the credit cards that is possible to a human being in the US.

I churned them and swallowed the points, miles cash and all

Now I came to a point where none of the credit cards are approving me.

Credit scores over 800, income over 175K and yet I can not get any credit cards

The message says "too many credit card applications in the last 1 year" or something like that

So what is the work around on this issue?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

misterno wrote:I owned all the credit cards that is possible to a human being in the US.

I churned them and swallowed the points, miles cash and all

Now I came to a point where none of the credit cards are approving me.

Credit scores over 800, income over 175K and yet I can not get any credit cards

The message says "too many credit card applications in the last 1 year" or something like that

So what is the work around on this issue?
Patience.

Read carefully the "rules" about recent opening (or closing!) of accounts, etc.
Just wait, and where they said "in the last year", then wait a full year, and see if things re-start.
And take it slowly.

Others may have more specific suggestions.

RM
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

giesen5 wrote:
np81 wrote:
Thanks. I've opened business credit cards with my SSN, but if I want to open the same card, say, Amex SPG Business or CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select, are you suggesting that I could open

a) Amex SPG Business - RJBraun,
b) Amex SPG Business - RJ Babysitting LLC and
c) Amex SPG Business - RJ Catering LLC

all under RJ's SSN?

And I could potentially open these all at the same time (or within a reasonable amount of time of one another)?
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

rjbraun wrote:
Drew777 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
<snip>

Thanks, Drew. As I have yet to apply for Amex SPG Business I thought I might do that, but the bonus terms aren't attractive when I checked now: same as for the personal card but with (considerably) higher minimum spends. Ugh, maybe I'll have to ask SO to apply after all.

Good to know you think Marriott merger stands to benefit SPG. Presumably, it will increase hotel options, but my concern was about possible devaluation of Starpoints.

Interesting about the different EINs. In my case, I have not legally formed my business venture(s), so according to the IRS website I need to wait to obtain an EIN.
The SPG Business is slightly better due to the Sheraton lounge access. I use that a good bit for free breakfast, snacks, drinks, etc.

So far the merger has increased the value of SPG points since they're transferrable to Marriott at a 1:3 rate. Now you have access to Marriott vacation packages and the ability to transfer points to airlines not available to SPG. As far as the EIN, you can obtain one as a sole proprietor.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

ResearchMed wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
np81 wrote:
IF one uses an EIN vs SSN, is there a way to combine the awards/points with those accumulated using a personal card?

We never got a credit card for our LLC, because we assumed that our brand new business would need to have its own credit check, and there'd obviously be no history.
It's probably moot now (pretty much shutting down operations so we can travel more, but we might start up something online), but for the future, is this not correct?

With an LLC name and a separate EIN, they could use one's personal credit history?

Thanks.

RM
Yes, you can combine the points. They'll just use your personal credit report. With all business credit cards you're still going to have to guarantee them personally anyway.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Drew777 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
np81 wrote:

Thanks.

RM
Yes, you can combine the points. They'll just use your personal credit report. With all business credit cards you're still going to have to guarantee them personally anyway.
Thanks.

We'll give this a try.

Yeah, we know that even with the "LLC", we weren't ever able to shield any liability anyway, because we had to have the mortgages (vacation rental cabins) in our own names. The brand new LLC wouldn't have any credit history for a mortgage approval (except maybe for hard money, which we wouldn't want).
And once we personally were on the hook in any way, "poof" goes possible liability protection. (We had a huge umbrella policy, given there'd be children and elderly, etc., and stairs inside and out, and balconies, and elevated patios, not to mention carpeting that could come loose unexpectedly, or ice in the winter or whatever, and that big hot tub... risks everywhere. (Fortunately, never any problem.)

DH does a lot of consulting, so right there could be a real "business name" if desired.

And I could open another LLC for my own consulting, even though I haven't done any for a couple of years?
It really wouldn't matter if there were no financial records, no active bank account, no credit history for the EIN?

The only "real" business accounts we opened were banking (of course) and also one to process remote charge card payments.
But not credit cards.
We just used our own, given that we were fully responsible for all debts anyway.
(And HA! We thought, "Great, we'll get the awards points this way, using our personal cards." So we never really looked into any business cards. We also weren't "into" opening accounts and accumulating points that way, until just recently. Silly us.)

Thanks.

RM